Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
previous tech buble threads

2014-04-28 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3629496 (previous one was nuked due to pii)
2014-06-29 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646538
2014-10-10 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3670940
2014-12-08 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3686720
2018-01-31 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3847958
2019-10-29 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3902494
2023-02-21 https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4024757 (current)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Agile Vector posted:

second life finds a way

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Jonny 290 posted:

that couple goes into how they are 'secular calvinists' i am not making this up

:dafuq:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

idk why but i think trig introduce me to them

anyway, tune

trig probably introduced you to them because theyre great

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i just live in filth, works4me wontfix

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Roosevelt posted:

turn the cover inside-out. put your arms inside and grab the far corners. grab two corners of the duvet along with the cover corners, then pull everything back out through the opening, re-skinning the duvet

:yeah:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Achmed Jones posted:

the duvet cover is just a cover for the duvet. as far as i can tell, duvets are comforters that take covers. it goes over the sheet, and is not a replacement for it. for that reason it doesn't get dirty a lot unless you have big smelly long dogs that jump on the bed with you

wtf you sleep with a sheet between you and the duvet??

americans are completely insane

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
hmm seems tweets stopped embedding

they load on the site tho, but there are requests to https://twitter.com/i/csp_report that reply like

code:
{
    "errors": [
        {
            "message": "Your current API plan does not include access to this endpoint, please see https://developer.twitter.com/en/docs/twitter-api for more information",
            "code": 467
        }
    ]
}
so i guess they rolled something untested to production again lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

exe cummings posted:

twitter.com is down lmao

drat you got my hopes up, it still loads for me :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

El Mero Mero posted:

Man it's gonna be waffleimages 2.0 for the forums when twitter finally kicks the bucket. I wonder if there's some sort of screenshot script that could be run that would convert tweets from an embed into something archivable for the forums.

ya i asked in one of the support threads back when elon bought twitter but idk if theyre doing it

exe cummings posted:

yeah a lambda running puppeteer could both scrape the forums and create screenshots from embeds. with an admin login it could even edit posts and replace the embed. is it worth the compute cost? probably not

just update the database tables, thats easier and simpler than loving around with a login

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

infernal machines posted:

i would bet that they are not doing it.

also, do you really think it's a good idea to go loving around directly in post tables? in the database comprised at least 50% of undocumented bitfields?

it's a text column in a posts table. idk how you can gently caress that up (I know, radium code but still if it's that brittle, you should never touch anything ever, especially with an admin login lol)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 7, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah ill read that lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bunch of eu banks down 5-10%

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

whats up with that lady

my parents told me about vaginas before i can remember, so younger than 3-4. and i dont even have one

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Truman Peyote posted:

that's a lot of professional imbeciles

:hmmyes:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
oh yeah thats a great essay

also for some reason i missed that it was written by ted chiang

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sweevo posted:

there needs to be a "directions from your dad" mode

"go for about two miles then turn left by the big tree"
"you know, the one next to the bench"
"on the corner where the key cutting place is"
"that key cutter used to be a motorbike shop"
"i nearly bought a bike from them in 1968 but didn't"
"ok it's half a mile, then turn left"
"guess the key cutter shut down"
"left now"
"...i meant right"

lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rotor posted:

i got some brain drugs recently and it made things kinda marginally maybe better and then i forgot my pills at home when i was away for a weekend so i did a double dose for a few days the next week to make up for it and i'm gonna ask my doctor for a large prescription because the larger dose actually did something for me.

depending on what the meds are increasing your dose can be super bad and you shouldnt do it independently

sounds like you lucked out, but if you miss days always just go back to regular dose

that the regular dose might not be the right one is separate, it usually takes months to determine with slow up/down scaling

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

rotor posted:

its not adderal so i dont think thats so much of an issue.

wrt dosage the doc said it was a very low dose to start and if it didnt do anything to tell him so i dont think a couple days of double-steppin it is bad.

it is bad

some drugs scale very tightly from minimal sttarting dose to therapeutic/effective to dangerous

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Therapeutic_index

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
yeah im just saying you lucked out, so pls dont do that again because youre a good poster :)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

lik dis if u click everytim

:yeah:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Midjack posted:

on the other hand you can get the same bad outcomes as anyone else stuck with american healthcare, just faster and cheaper now.

*cheaper for them, not for you

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
you can ask bing about a recent abduction case and it will of course do free association including naming the alleged perpetrator (currently under a name ban, fairly common for high profile cases in case theyre innocent) and speculate about his involvment in another case

https://politiken.dk/indland/art9310382/Chatbot-omg%E5r-navneforbud-i-kidnapningssag

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
im glad we in scandinavia just say "hi"

you might say "hva så" (whats up) if you are close friends and its been a while

e: okay you can say "good to see you" if its been a really long while

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 20, 2023

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i too love working with products and use cases

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
we have a secret bar closet, but nobody wants to drink unless its friday afternoon because despite being danes we arent alcoholics (well i am, but the rest arent)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Khorne posted:

got told I had to use chatgpt and in a few weeks share all the ways I used it to increase my productivity at work today

time to refresh the ol resume

rofl

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Shaggar posted:

these are all general fraud cases against individual employees that happen to involve PHI. The first one involves an actual hipaa violation by the company (storing PHI in a google drive) for which there was no enforcement action. they just put a person in jail for accessing the unsecured data after termination without addressing the HIPAA violation

shaggar was right :(

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
happy first spam email day

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
i used to take the 5A bus to work, that line had the same passenger throughput as copenhagen airport, something like 5 million passengers a year

(its now called 5C and is one of them accordions and i take the metro but i assume its about teh same still)

buses own

but tbh the metro is way better

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
god i remember in high school in the late 90s called myself a techo-utopian. made a clay head for an exhibition that was half human and half robotic. so cringe.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
wait, ai "does some things"? disagree.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i appreciate this comeback a lot

:tipshat:

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

eh, let's do a better apology: spent too much of my day arguing ethics with phd students (who were way more wrong than anyone here) and was in a bad mood. yospos being yospos do enjoy any brand of anti-technology you prefer.

personally not going to start liking woz, but as far as vibes go i was in the wrong.

nah youre right woz is a weirdo (cf wife/car keys) but imo in general calling for the guillotine is right and proper

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

4lokos basilisk posted:

the bicycle remains the fastest form of transport in a dense city up to a radius of 8km. i.e. if your destination is closer than 8km, it is comparable or faster to bike instead of taking public transport or driving a car. from my personal experience this theory holds both in tokyo and paris

hell yea

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXw_t172BKY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

haveblue posted:

nyc is preparing to spend almost $8 billion to build 1 mile of tunnels and 2.5 stations

I have no idea where all the money goes but a big part of it is probably that manhattan is already 100% developed. you can't build subway without tearing something down and that means you have to eminent domain some properties which is a huge protracted court battle with a rich guy, each time

copenhagen metro costs for comparison:
stage 1 is a 5 mile semi-submerged 2 line Y-construction that began 1997. budget was 1.5 bil usd and 3 years*, going 300 mil and 2 years over budget. done in 2002
stage 2 is a 10 mile ring line, began 2009, budgeted as 9 years and 3.1 bil usd, going 150 mil and 1 year over. done in 2019.
stage 3 is in the planning stage, but will likely commence in the next year or two

afaik these numbers include mandatory archaeological excavations, damages to property, etc. otoh theres inflation and whatnot.

i know new york is built on bedrock or whatever, but copenhagen is built on sand and middens. might be easier to drill through, but itll fall apart if you gently caress up.

* aside from noise complaints and general ugliness of building lots, this is the only true stupidity i know of. 3 years lol

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the aging millennial sits in his corvette in the driveway, revving the engine. "daaaad time for dinner!" i'll be there in a minute son, i'm driving! "dad. you know you can't drive anymore. they took your license away 5 years ago" i know i know i'm not going anywhere, i just want to hear the VROOM

mega own giving your dad the broken controller

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

mystes posted:

The solution for cars at least is to just play fake vroom sounds over the speakers inside the cabin

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i recognize that my opinion here is an extreme one, but after watching enough episodes of "just rolled in", i don't think it should be legal for a layman to mess around with anything in the powertrain of their car. cosmetic is fine, if you want to plasti-dip everything pink go wild. but gently caress around with the safety critical components and then drive on public roads? hell no, you should either have to pay an exorbitant amount to have it done professionally AND then pass a government inspection... or if you want a faster car, you should just buy a faster car.

i agree, but im scandinavian so i like rules against stuff that hurts people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
well, parallel import is only illegal if you get caught