Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I had thought about making a thread about The Country of the Blind but decided to make a general short stories thread instead.

I was vaguely thinking about the phrase in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king and wondered if it came from the story but its apparently like 1500 years old

its a really good story imo. post some others that you like. i remember reading a scifi short story as a kid where its about a space ship where each member of the crew is a physical component of the ship and they all work together but i forget its name. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Borges is the goat as far as short stories go.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Short stories rule. Weird horror in particular thrives in short stories where you can quickly introduce the concept then conclude everything before the premise gets too sweaty.

Here are a couple good ones from Brian Evenson:

No Matter Which Way We Turned
https://magazine.nytyrant.com/no-matter-way-turned/

Smear
https://www.conjunctions.com/print/article/brian-evenson-c67

Jenny Agutter posted:

Borges rules and I am shamefully underread in his stuff.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I got into the the horror-/mystery-esque Delta Green TTRPG around the start of the year, and I found that one of the creators (Dennis Detwiller, plus some other people) wrote some short stories set in the same universe. (Taps into some Cthulhu-esque content, as well as King in Yellow stuff, plus doing its own thing)
The ones I've read have been pretty good so far! It's just as Big Mad Drongo said - introduces a concept and wraps it all up in short order.

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

agree with this. i also enjoy J. G. Ballard's short stories, as well as Hemingway, and Flannery O'Connor.

edit: forgot to add Bruno Schulz

also interested to check out the weird horror stuff, thanks for the recommendations.

Major Isoor posted:

(Taps into some Cthulhu-esque content, as well as King in Yellow stuff, plus doing its own thing)

i'm interested in the king-in-yellow adjacent stories; are there any specifically to check out?

s_c_a_r_e_ fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Apr 28, 2023

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

s_k_a_m_ posted:

i'm interested in the king-in-yellow adjacent stories; are there any specifically to check out?

Unfortunately I haven't gotten these ones yet myself, as I've been mostly interested in their WW2+cold war stuff. So I don't know what the stories are called - the titles are somewhat vague, which doesn't help much. (Plus the wikis etc for Delta Green fiction aren't formatted very well)
I believe there are a few scattered in one or two of the short story collections, plus I believe there's a little short story written by John Tynes accompanying an article here. (drivethuRPG has both the RPG and short story content for Delta Green.) I believe John Tynes is the main guy who likes writing about King in Yellow stuff, for the DG setting.

But I think the bulk of the King in Yellow fiction is currently locked behind Patreon's paywall until they finally publish it, I'm afraid to say. I think there are a couple of long stories about the KiY which have been written already - so I'm not sure what the hold-up is, regarding publishing them.
They've written and released quite a lot of RPG scenario content for Carcosa/KiY stuff for what it's worth, which I think is done in a very cool way. That treasure trove doesn't help you much if you're after short stories specifically, though! :v: (I found 'em interesting to read through either way, personally. Haven't gotten around to playing them yet though)

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Jenny Agutter posted:

agreed

I like Raymond Carver's stories but the plot of all of them is like "Jim and Anne are leaving a party because Jim, an alcoholic, has drunk too much. Jim is angry because he saw Anne dancing with another man. They discuss their failing marriage but do not come to any conclusions. Anne smokes a cigarette."

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
John Cheever is master of the short story where something remarkable happens to very unremarkable people.

Also Angela carter is always a strong choice if you want to read something weird and vaguely unsettling. Fireworks or the bloody chamber are both just a collection of bangers imo

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

These were the first two short stories I read when younger where I discovered just how much they could pack into so few pages.

Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway

A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

the sex ghost posted:

John Cheever is master of the short story where something remarkable happens to very unremarkable people.

Also Angela carter is always a strong choice if you want to read something weird and vaguely unsettling. Fireworks or the bloody chamber are both just a collection of bangers imo

The Swimmer is probably one of the best short stories ever written. I love the way the strangeness creeps up on you as the reader as you realize things aren't quite right with our protagonist.

Also kind of adore Ray Bradbury' short fiction, dude wrote a lot of really touching realistic fiction like I See You Never and the The Sound of Summer Running in addition to all his awesome speculative stuff. October Country, R is for Rocket, Illustrated Man are all amazing collections.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Enfys posted:

These were the first two short stories I read when younger where I discovered just how much they could pack into so few pages.

Hills Like White Elephants by Ernest Hemingway

A Good Man Is Hard to Find by Flannery O'Connor

These were good thanks for sharing!
^ The illustrated man kicks rear end btw, read it.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

I read the collected stories of John Cheever earlier this year and highly recommend it. It's 800 pages of the most stunning prose you'll ever see in short stories.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

The entirety of A Good Man is Hard to Find occasionally plays through my head like the world's longest intrusive thought. It's one hell of a story.

Cheever also owns and if I had to pinpoint the moment I went from high school nerd who only reads bad fantasy to someone reads anything and everything the day we read The Swimmer in college was it.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
This might be a dangerous stance, but I've always preferred Stephen King's short fiction to his full length novels.

Survivor Type and The Jaunt still haunt my mind, and it's been years since i read either of them.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

Try a bit of Cheever: Goodbye, My Brother

Short stories are one of my favorite things to read and I'm happy to recommend people stuff if they have genres they like.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

A Good Scent From A Strange Mountain

I don't know how often short story collections win the Pulitzer. Robert Olen Butler wrote exclusively here about the Vietnamese in Louisiana. The ending of "The trip back" is very powerful.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The Night Wire and The Willows are probably my favorites.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

pseudosavior posted:

This might be a dangerous stance, but I've always preferred Stephen King's short fiction to his full length novels.

Survivor Type and The Jaunt still haunt my mind, and it's been years since i read either of them.

I thought this was a pretty mainstream stance? I certainly agree with it, though, and with those picks. "The Raft," too.

I think I've recommended it on SA recently, but Daniel Orozco's "Orientation" is one of my all-time favorite short pieces. His collection of the same name is solid all around.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

distortion park posted:

agreed

I like Raymond Carver's stories but the plot of all of them is like "Jim and Anne are leaving a party because Jim, an alcoholic, has drunk too much. Jim is angry because he saw Anne dancing with another man. They discuss their failing marriage but do not come to any conclusions. Anne smokes a cigarette."

except Tell the Women We're Going

lol in grad school each week someone would bring in a short story for the class to read and talk about, and the person who brought that one in thought the line was "did her on the rock" so it was great watching about ten people stare them down as they slowly realized what the ending was

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Traxis posted:

The Night Wire and The Willows are probably my favorites.
Blackwood is so loving good at creating atmosphere. I think my favorite of his is The Kit Bag, it's a pretty straightforward ghost story but really well written.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Kit-Bag

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The BLIT stories by David Langford are really good:

BLIT
comp.basilisk FAQ
Different Kinds of Darkness

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Gogol wrote some good uns

The nose, diary of a madman

The latter is probably my favorite short story I've ever read tbh, it's such a great spiral

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola
Leaf by Niggle has Tolkien wrestling with worldbuilding and the creative process. Casts an interesting light on the rest of his work and reminds me a bit of the poem Kubla Khan

The Paper Menagerie was written by Ken Liu, the fella who translated The Three-Body Problem (discussed elsewhere on TSBF), and swept up a ton of awards. It's got a lot of emotional weight if it hits a nerve for you

DrankSinatra
Aug 25, 2011

Leraika posted:

The BLIT stories by David Langford are really good:

BLIT
comp.basilisk FAQ
Different Kinds of Darkness

I love these stories, and I'm so mad that weird internet rationalist dorks ruined the term "basilisk" in this context.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I'll check those out later. :)

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

George Saunders has great stuff as well. His first novel Lincoln In The Bardo after decades of doing short stories can be read like a collection of short stories because of the hundreds of perspectives. He has a lot of stuff available online for free

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I find Saunders's short work hit-or-miss, but "Escape from Spiderhead" is a must-read for sure

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

i am checking out all of the stories in this thread, and i appreciate them. thank you.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Has anyone read Alice Munro? What's your take?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

parthenocarpy posted:

George Saunders has great stuff as well. His first novel Lincoln In The Bardo after decades of doing short stories can be read like a collection of short stories because of the hundreds of perspectives. He has a lot of stuff available online for free

Lincoln in the Bardo is one of my favorite books, but I've been neglecting Saunders's short fiction, which is not good since he is a short fiction writer foremost. I picked Adams from this list to read and it's loving amazing, it's like a The Minute Hour skit, with the incredibly strong character voice and the insistent terminology that he is "wonking" the guy and the dark, seething core to an absolutely hilarious story. Thanks for the link, I'm gonna be digging into this.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Well I just finished a copy of Liberation Day I got from my library, and I gotta say, I have been doing myself a disservice not getting into George Saunders's short stuff! Dear god that man can work the English language like he was playing a piano. Some of the creepiest, eeriest, most moving, most shocking stories I have ever read. Lincoln in the Bardo was so crushingly sad I couldn't believe it, but he's working on that emotional capability all the time. Incredible author.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Shogi posted:

The Paper Menagerie was written by Ken Liu, the fella who translated The Three-Body Problem (discussed elsewhere on TSBF), and swept up a ton of awards. It's got a lot of emotional weight if it hits a nerve for you

It’s slow at work, I decided to pull out my phone for some light reading, and welp :qq:

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Bookish posted:

It’s slow at work, I decided to pull out my phone for some light reading, and welp :qq:

just got something in my eye, and this spreadsheet's a lot actually, and i *sob* just love this company s-so much

it's a good story. it's simple but deep, and even the bits that seem clunky have more than meets the eye

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

get yourself some henry james anthology.

cortazar was great at it too

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Kelly Link is my favourite. Here's a good introductory story of hers https://www.uncannymagazine.com/article/travels-snow-queen/

I'm also a big fan of Karen Russell. Loved "Orange World".

I hope Carmen Maria Machado releases another anthology one day. "Especially Heinous", which I guess is technically a novella, is phenomenal.

I also own about four Dashiell Hammett anthologies. I can't think of any stand-outs but it's Hammett. Any short story will be a good'un, except for "Dead Yellow Women".

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Loved The Snows of Kilimanjaro by Hemingway

I have a large collection of the short stories of Graham Greene that is one of this year's bricks to be read, looking forward to that!

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

About a year ago I stumbled accidentally onto The Road Not Taken, a short story from 1985 by Harry Turtledove. That's right, the guy who writes all the alt-history novels. I don't want to spoil the concept of the story here, but for some reason I have not been able to get this piece out of my head since I learned about it. It's not standout writing, but the concept of the drat story just has glued itself to the inside of my skull and made itself at home. Endlessly fascinating for me to think about, for some reason.

Shogi
Nov 23, 2004

distant Pohjola

Mind over Matter posted:

About a year ago I stumbled accidentally onto The Road Not Taken, a short story from 1985 by Harry Turtledove. That's right, the guy who writes all the alt-history novels. I don't want to spoil the concept of the story here, but for some reason I have not been able to get this piece out of my head since I learned about it. It's not standout writing, but the concept of the drat story just has glued itself to the inside of my skull and made itself at home. Endlessly fascinating for me to think about, for some reason.

it's a fascinating little story and the only one of Turtledove's i've read. the reference to Robert Frost's poem (steals the title and has a character make a direct reference to it, the 'poet called Hail or Snow or something' or however the alien dude phrases it) is fun to think about cos it makes you wonder what Turtledove thinks the poem says. for me the poem is partly about how we look back and fool ourselves that we chose the path we ended up on, when most of it was down to chance and things predetermined for us. so in the short story it's the whole of humanity in that ironic position. maybe that makes sense for an alt-history guy, though somehow I feel like Turtledove is more likely a rugged individualism god bless america type who'd read the poem differently

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Shogi posted:

it's a fascinating little story and the only one of Turtledove's i've read. the reference to Robert Frost's poem (steals the title and has a character make a direct reference to it, the 'poet called Hail or Snow or something' or however the alien dude phrases it) is fun to think about cos it makes you wonder what Turtledove thinks the poem says. for me the poem is partly about how we look back and fool ourselves that we chose the path we ended up on, when most of it was down to chance and things predetermined for us. so in the short story it's the whole of humanity in that ironic position. maybe that makes sense for an alt-history guy, though somehow I feel like Turtledove is more likely a rugged individualism god bless america type who'd read the poem differently

Yeah, I've read a couple of his novels but I can't say I know anything about the guy himself. Certainly, none of it stuck with me like the short story did.

Might be time for me to go back and read the Frost poem again, I doubt I've done so since high school or even earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://www.sichris.com/Fiction

Can we post our own published stories in this thread?

These kinds of threads tend to focus mostly on classic works, but I also recommend checking out some modern short fiction markets like Clarkesworld. There is a lot of good contemporary short fiction being produced that no one reads because short fiction markets are nowadays mostly read by authors researching the best place to submit their own stories. I will post some more recommendations later.

Edit: Even if you don't write yourself, you can use sites like Duotrope and Submission Grinder to find short fiction markets. Search for criteria such as genre, word count, how well they pay their writers, etc., to find stories that fit your preferences. Duotrope costs money, but Submission Grinder is free.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 24, 2023