Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hello, hello 👋 :dbuddy:

This is a thread for talking about the ethics of stealing from GameStop. This is not a thread for talking about GBS, other posters, mods, admins, or anything at all to do with the forums. I just really want to ask that question and my usual hangout doesn’t seem like an appropriate space for it.

So, with that said, let’s commence:

Stealing from GameStop. Is it a crime? Should it be a crime? Would you make it a crime? Is this a common sense problem or is it like one of those big problems for big thunkers? What do you think other people should think about this matter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

i'm pro

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 99 days!
stealing from exploitative sources is always fine imo

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Only if you destroy the merchandise, gaming is counter-revolutionary.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

i use gamestop call of duty preorders as my bank since i don't trust the federal reserve, so if you rob gamestop you're robbing me which is a violation of the NAP and i'm gonna have to defend my property rights

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

what are you stealing from gamestop

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Just a Moron posted:

Only if you destroy the merchandise, gaming is counter-revolutionary.

:hmmyes:

redneck nazgul posted:

i use gamestop call of duty preorders as my bank since i don't trust the federal reserve, so if you rob gamestop you're robbing me which is a violation of the NAP and i'm gonna have to defend my property rights

:shuckyes:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
if you really want to fight the power that is gamestop stealing just the games is dumb and they already have it built into their numbers as shrinkage. what you should be doing is stealing any hepa filters or other mold abatement systems from their HVAC

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

luv2shit posted:

what are you stealing from gamestop

resident evil toilet brush

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Al! posted:

if you really want to fight the power that is gamestop stealing just the games is dumb and they already have it built into their numbers as shrinkage. what you should be doing is stealing any hepa filters or other mold abatement systems from their HVAC

:powercatte:

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
power to the players

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

resident evil toilet brush

attempting to maintain vital infrastructure.

ethical to steal: yes.

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 48 minutes!
Steal everything that you can. Don't get caught, only condition. Alternatively, pretend to steal things so other people can steal while using u as a distraction

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

what if gamestop was a store dedicated to getting people to stop gaming

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

lobster shirt posted:

what if gamestop was a store dedicated to getting people to stop gaming

It’s good to have dreams of a better world.

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 99 days!
gaming rules

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

power to the players imo

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
those mf stole my systems for a paltry amount on buyback when I was a child. its time for revenge op. you have my permission

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Read Settlers, OP

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

JamesKPolk posted:

Read Settlers, OP

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 99 days!
the myth of the white shoplifter

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

stealing from any store is fine

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

but more importantly

JamesKPolk posted:

Read Settlers, OP

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

any time you don't steal from a store you're stealing from yourself

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

JamesKPolk posted:

Read Settlers, OP

There’s some good points in there and it is a book that everyone should read and have a conversation about—but also, I spend enough time in the world’s premiere Maoist country to have a land grant there, and :rubby: at the notion that Maoism is a solution for white supremacy or class divides.

It’s probably just fine for solving the GameStop problem though.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Play The Settlers, op.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Dick Fontaine posted:

There’s some good points in there and it is a book that everyone should read and have a conversation about—but also, I spend enough time in the world’s premiere Maoist country to have a land grant there, and :rubby: at the notion that Maoism is a solution for white supremacy or class divides.

It’s probably just fine for solving the GameStop problem though.

its a good solution to white supremacy OP

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
they don't sell pc games so i don't care

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
they dont even sell rebuildable keyboards so why loving bother

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

500 good dogs posted:

stealing from any store is fine

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

JamesKPolk posted:

Read Settlers, OP

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
you can steal the new games. they don't care about those. then you can sell the games back to gamestop and gamestop can sell them used which is where the real money is made for them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm calling the cops Op.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
you can pirate any game you want except nintendo

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Ethics is made up so stealing is ok as long as you can avoid legal punishment

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

croup coughfield posted:

stealing from exploitative sources is always fine imo

This is short-sighted IMO. If people steal from GameStop and GameStop goes out of business, who will be left to stop the games?

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

AnimeIsTrash posted:

its a good solution to white supremacy OP

Yeah, I should have worded that differently.

Maoism is a good solution for colonialism. It informs a majority of their power over their oppressors and equips them with the tools they need to express that power. White supremacy is often expressed through colonialism and the defeat of one is the defeat of the other.

Maoism could theoretically expand from there to be a solution for white supremacy in its homelands—but, that would require the majority in at least one traditionally white supremacist state to all agree that 1.) Maoism is the way, and 2.) that eliminating white supremacy is a core mission.

That’s extremely unlikely to occur. Not because capitalism and white supremacy has won forever in the west or whatever but because many other forms of revolution with very different priorities are much more likely to happen first.

Now, to get this thread back on topic: there’s plenty of shoplifters out there; only like a GameStop or two per town or so; and, the shoplifters have clearly proven their ability to organize and take direct action for their own benefit. I don’t think it’d be too hard to convince them of the Tao of Mao. Is that ethical? Yes, of course.

More books please.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
chairman mao never played a video game but if he had then things would have been different

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Video games turned Osama bin Laden into a terrorist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

Gleichheit soll gedeihen

Weka posted:

Video games turned Osama bin Laden into a terrorist.

as far as we know once he had video games he didnt do any more terrorisms

they're counter-revolutionary after all