Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Welcome to the Final Fantasy V Four Job Fiesta 2023 thread! In its tenth year running, this thread will be the SA headquarters for the Four Job Fiesta, equal parts to keep us from taking over the FF Megathread as well as a single point of action for trading tricks and trips, cursing Gilgabot's lack of mercy, or whatever Fiesta-related discussion you may want. Much like the years before, we hope to bring lots of victories, lots of donations, and lots of berserkers from the Berserker Tree!

Quick Links: Goon Discord, Official Website, Official Blog, Official Subreddit (yes, yes, I know, but it's official)

So Kyrosiris, what IS the Four Job Fiesta?

Every year, RevenantKioku and his trusty sidekick Gilgabot (or maybe it's the other way around?) organize the Fiesta as a charity drive for Child's Play The Trevor Project for 2023 and as a gathering for all FFV fans to celebrate the game. Mechanically, the Fiesta challenges you to play through Final Fantasy V using just one job from each Crystal. Hard Mode ups the ante, allowing Gilgabot to pull from past Crystals - you can, for example, get another White Mage from the Fire Crystal, or a Berserker from the Earth Crystal! In 2012, the Berserker Risk option was added as a way to pump up the difficulty even more - for every $10 raised prior to the Fiesta's start, every Berserker Risk participant was assigned a mandatory Berserker! Enough was raised to stick every participant at Risk with at least one Berserker, and SA member Rosalie_A ended up with what was considered the nastiest team of the Fiesta - a Knight and THREE Berserkers! 2013 renamed Hard Mode to "Random Mode" which is honestly more accurate, and added the new Team 750/No-750 and Natural modes, adding extra fun and challenge. 2015 upped the stakes and added the much-beloved Chaos Mode, which was what we all wanted from Random all along - any job is possible from any crystal, and duplicates are possible, leading to a handful of Chaos Riskers ending up with :black101: FOUR. :black101: FREAKING. :black101: BERSERKERS. :black101: (RIP Everhate, The Chosen One) 2016 graced us with Pure Chaos, which is Chaos without repeats and with Mime and Freelancer in the character pool. 2018 gave us the interesting and GBA-only Forbidden mode - at the cost of permanently losing one of your other three jobs, you can earn the right to use one of the GBA-only jobs - Oracle, Gladiator, or Cannoneer! 2019 gave us Fifth Job - Krile is her own character! Why shouldn't she get a job? She takes Galuf's job and dunks it in the trash (you can't use ANY of its abilities or passives!) and brings her own! Hope you weren't attached to that Geomancer, she's a Berserker now!

While the challenge is not one regularly "recommended" for those new to Final Fantasy V, there have been several goons who challenged the Fiesta as their first playthrough of the game and triumphed! That said, the challenge will definitely require a bit more aptitude and awareness of the game's mechanics and neat combos than a game where you plow through everything with !X-Fight, !X-Magic, and other powerful combos (that is, unless Gilgabot is merciful and gives you those combos). It goes a long way to help snap the decision paralysis that plagues a lot of first-time players of FFV, though.

Well, I've never played FFV before. Should I try anyways?

Absolutely! Like I said, lots of goons have earned their first victory in FFV through the Fiesta - either combinations of the restricted job access giving them real focus to finish the game, or getting advice from the litany of Fiesta veterans that haunt this thread and Discord, or for whatever reason. Plus, FFV is fun, and you're playing for charity (via either your donations or runs that you finish that trigger other people's pledges)!

How's this all work, then? What're the rules?

An example team would be mine from 2012 - I got Thief, Summoner, Ninja, and Samurai. From the Wind Crystal on, I had to have a full party of Thieves. Once I finished the Water Crystal, I got to choose a configuration of at least 1 Thief and at least 1 Summoner, and then the other two could be either Thieves or Summoners, with no limit aside from having at least one of each. The Fire crystal was the same - I had to field at least one Ninja, Summoner, and Thief at all times, and my fourth character could be what was best suited of my three job options. After the Earth Crystal, that was it - everyone was locked in. You can switch jobs around as is necessary, but you've gotta adhere to those guidelines. If you want your Ninja to learn some Summon Magic, that Summoner has to switch to being a Ninja too.

Note that for Natural and Chaos runs, you use Freelancers until you have obtained your assigned jobs. A Ranger/Samurai/Dragoon/Chemist Chaos run would use Freelancers until you get the Black Chocobo, and a White Mage/Time Mage/Bard/Chemist Natural run has Faris as a Freelancer until the same.

So who the hell is Gilgabot?

Gilgabot is the Twitter bot that does the backend paperwork of the Fiesta. You tweet keywords to him (@FF5ForFutures) at certain thresholds in your playthrough and he will do whatever those correspond to. For example, you can tweet "@FF5ForFutures #Water" to note that you've reached the Water Crystal. Gilgabot will then reply (maybe - he hit the daily tweet limit several times last year) with your Job assignment for that crystal. You can see a full list of his commands here. (link this to letsplaying's commands page when the site's back up)

Twitter? Ewww, I don't do that social media bullshit.

Tough. Don't blame Gilgabot, blame yourself or God. If you wanna Fiesta (at least officially - no one's stopping you from doing your own using random.org or similar), you gotta tweet. Worst case scenario, you make a throw-away account you use just for the Fiesta and then ignore it. Many goons do this every year.

:siren: NEW FOR 2023: Due to Elon Musk being a loving idiot, RK is working on pivoting away from Twitter towards a Google OAuth-powered system on the actual website. STAY TUNED. :siren:

Help! Gilgabot gave me a shittacular job combo and $BOSS is kicking my rear end!

Relax. Rosalie got through the entire game and even the optional superboss Shinryu in 2012 with a Knight and three Berserkers. You can beat the focus of your ire too, with some strategy and tenacity. That said, we're not going to leave you in the lurch - lots of FFV pros participate in the Fiesta, and in 2012 we came up with a veritable compendium of knowledge, tactics, and advice (which got loving additions in 2013 and 2014, too!). You can find it here, but be aware it contains story and boss spoilers, as well as a significant amount of mechanical information for the game. Other resources include Alcharagia's Primer to FFV's Jobs, Sulla's Solo Single Class Challenges, Mega64's Resource Page, and the FFV Algorithm Guide (for SNES and GBA)! We'll all be prattling away on Discord!

:siren: Enkibot is also back and better than ever! :siren: It has moved here and now supports GBA jobs and Mime/Freelancer!!

Science is scary and I can't use !Mix, the most powerful ability in FFV! Help me!!!!

Relax. Learn the true power of :science: here. Don't glitch Exdeath! (especially since your victory won't count :lol:)

Alright, I'm in! What do I do?

Get on Twitter and send Gilgabot (@FF5ForFutures) a pre-registration tweet. This will look something like "@FF5ForFutures #regpurechaos #BERSERKERRISK". Then, just wait for the Fiesta to start!

What's New for 2023?

A whole lot of poo poo. RK is revamping the names of various rulesets (which I will be updating the OP with when it's revealed!), as well as an official login system for the website where you will be able to sign up for your runs and so forth. This will also be updated in the OP as we know more!

:siren: 2023 RUN TYPE OVERHAUL :siren:

New for 2023, run types have been completely overhauled and simplified, with many popular options being add-ons that you can slap onto whatever run!

Core types are now Regular (exactly what you expect - a job from each of the four crystals at that crystal), Typhoon (at each crystal, get a job that would be available to you - that is, Wind is Wind only, but Water can be Wind or Water, and so forth), Volcano (emphasizing job backdiving and is the exact opposite of Typhoon - Wind can be any job, but Earth can only be Earth), and Meteor (any job, any time, and Mime/Freelancer have come out to play!).

Fifth Job, Extra Jobs (previously Advance), and Forbidden are now all addons you can apply to any run (aside from Natural ones, but gently caress Natural). Berserker Risk is also an all-Fiesta-long option, scaling in intensity as the Fiesta raises more money! 99% Risk at 20k, anyone? :getin: For those who love duplicates, you can now opt in to dupes for any run type but Regular, too!

Trivia and Infographic Nonsense!

Every year, RevenantKioku puts out an infographic for the year's Fiesta, covering a lot of trivia and data, distribution of classes, stuff like that (as well as how fair and balanced Gilgabot was, which he always is). They're pretty neat, and are timg'd below - click the year (or expand the image, but they're really big) for big. 2021 appears to have not gotten an infographic? But I've included it in this list for completeness and to backlink the 2021 thread.

2011 Infographic:

2012 Infographic:

2013 Infographic:

(Thread) 2014 Infographic:

(Thread) 2015 Infographic:

(Thread) 2016 Infographic:

(Thread) 2017 Infographic:

(Thread) 2018 Infographic:

(Thread) 2019 Infographic:

(Thread)
2020 Infographic:

(Thread)
2021 Infographic:
(It was stolen by a bear :iiam:)

(Thread)
2022 Infographic:
(This was eaten by a Carby-modified Berserker)

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

High Quality Goon-Made Fiesta Fanart!

2014 Fanart

(by Bloodwulfe)

(also by Bloodwulfe)

(by Asiina)

(again, by Bloodwulfe)

(by Shoehead)

(yup, still Bloodwulfe)

(Bloodwulfe: still the best)

(THE LAWS OF THE UNIVERSE MEAN NOTHING TO A_Raving_Loon)

Can of Worms is rad as hell and has made multiple FFV Advance patches, including the source of the above gif.
Fiesta State Mod(no mechanical changes)
FFVA Balance Mod (actual mechanical changes)

2015 Fanart

Mega64 takes on the trials and tribulations of the Omnizerker.

(What's Flarnith's art doing here?!)

(neongrey needs to be sure you heard him correctly.)

2016 Fanart

(Asterism has to face some tough choices.)

(Koobes decided to correct Mid a bit.)

(Let's just call this a work by Edward_Tohr and move on with life)

2017 Fanart

(Mikl is having some problems with the weather.)

(Ablative assures me that, just like Ronka, it can only go up uP UP!!)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep demonstrates the value of Butzcoin. BUY IN NOW)

Ablative reminds us of that which we must sacrifice, because the numbers are infallible.)

(Bad Seafood has opinions on robots.)

2018 Fanart

(Aerdan lets us know what's up.)

(Orange Fluffy Sheep has important information that might SAVE YOUR LIFE.)

(Mega64 reminds us that the FBI is full of poo poo.)

(Archenetron is ready for suffering in The Run.)

(Obang Metho has relevant memes.)

2019 Fanart

(Admiral Joeslop pays homage to the King of All Superbosses)

(I fully admit I have no idea what FeyerbrandX was riffing here, but it's rad)

(Azza Bamboo pays off an interdimensional threat)

2020 Fanart

(noooooo vernatio can't just make a meme out of the final boss fight!!!!)

2021 Fanart

(Raitzeno has a present for you!)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You know what goes here? :toxx:es.

quote:

As usual, I, Kyrosiris, will donate 2 cents per broken rod and 10 cents per Speed Trap hit, up to a combined maximum of $100.

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game: I will donate money for each run that defeats specific normal enemies before other specific bosses. Specifically, I'll donate $1 for each time one of the following enemies is beaten before the boss:

Garula before Living Flame
Jackanapes before Byblos
Prototype before Sol Cannon
Skull Eater before Archaeoaevis
Shield Dragon before Tyrannosaur
Exdeath's Soul before Stoker (the Island Shrine boss)
Stingray before Leviathan
King Behemoth before Azulmagia

Of course, you still need to beat the boss, too. I'm still brainstorming, so I might come up with other ideas or change this before the fiesta actually starts. I'm welcome to other folks' ideas too.

CourtlyHades296 posted:

I will be doing a :toxx: for full Bestiary completion. $1 per SNES/PS1/PR/GBA without Sealed Temple run, $3 per GBA with Sealed Temple run, with both having an extra $1 on top of that for doing it with Natural enabled, up to a maximum of $35.

Mustached Demon posted:

:toxx:

$2 for every pridefully named buttz up to $100

Jose Valasquez posted:

:toxx:
I'll do the 0 power chicken knife once again, $10 up to a Max of $150 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

In addition, since FJF 2021 inspired me to take up speedrunning the game, I'm adding a new speedrun :toxx:

Finish the game in under 10 hours (in game time) and get $10. Each additional hour shaved off is another $10. A screenshot of the menu in the final room of the void within ~5 minutes of the hour marker (to account for the exdeath battle) will suffice as proof. GBA and PR both show the room you're in, SNES doesn't so it'll be on the honor system.

Since the challenge is for in game time resets don't count towards your time, so you are free to try low success rate strats to save time. This one will max out at $250.

Kyrosiris posted:

:toxx: gently caress You, Yoshi-P, I'm Not Learning That! :toxx:

I like Blue Mage in FFV. I hate Blue Mage in FFXIV. Why? They both share an affection for useless dogshit spells with no purpose. Of the 104 blue magic spells in FFXIV, like thirty of them are near-identical Standard Cast Time, Standard Potency spells that basically all function interchangeably but you just ~have~ to go collect them all because one of your best cooldowns requires some loving Rareware-level "go collect all the tchotchkes" bullshit! gently caress that! It's dumb as poo poo!

So to protest this indignity, I'm putting similar restrictions on FFV because gently caress you, I can. You get a 24-spell palette to slot spells in as a Blue Mage in FFXIV, and a DPS-minded Blue Mage ends up with three open slots, but I'm gonna be nice and give you the full 24 because here's the toxx:

As a Blue Mage haver, complete your Fiesta run with a similar ratio of spells - that is, because 24 out of 104 is 23% of the spells, you can learn no more than 7 blue magic spells in FFV.

I know what seven I'd get, but I'm curious what you'll end up with. I can't give you a morbol mount, but I'll donate $2 to the charity for the first ten people who have the same "gently caress collectathons, actually" mindset I do.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Jun 18, 2023

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
This year also marks the debut of RegOnion, which works like RegRandom except you can only get jobs from FFIII Famicom.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Hell yeah, a new fiesta now with a year of PR established and expanded to PS4 and Switch.

Now there's no excuse not to join in.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Do Sealed Temple.
That way you’ll know why you never want to do it.
hell is doing it under fiesta conditions with dancer and geomancer as two of your jobs

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Alternatively, don't do the Sealed Temple. It's hot garbage.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

ultrafilter posted:

Alternatively, don't do the Sealed Temple. It's hot garbage.

RUN  COWARD

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dunno if I ever mentioned this outside of Discord but awhile back I found this Youtube channel that shows off a ton of weird and cool glitches from the Super Famicom version of FF5, though the rub is that the videos are in Japanese. Some neat and weird stuff, especially involving the Necrophobe fight.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Zerkyzerkyzerkyzerkyzerkyzerky

E: Probably no updates to my rebalance this year but hey, it exists if anyone is interested!

Galick fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 22, 2023

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
With the console pixel remasters allowing you to tweak exp, gil, and AP gains (from 0x to 4x), will there be options to include those as part of the optional modifiers?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

dolphinbomb posted:

With the console pixel remasters allowing you to tweak exp, gil, and AP gains (from 0x to 4x), will there be options to include those as part of the optional modifiers?

The vibe I got from RK on twitter was basically "use them if you want, they won't be part of anything the site generates though".

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If it makes things less tedious for you, use 'em. Nobody's gonna care besides a few weirdos, and this is for charity anyway.

Do what makes it fun for you, those options exist for a reason!

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

:sickos:

Planning on going through this with a friend this year, using the multiplayer options in the SNES release.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Looking forward to this, always have a blast playing, even though I usually only end up getting 1 run done because I get distracted by other games.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry
popping in with a reminder that there is a tool for the GBA version which allows you to customize your fiesta experience. sadly, just like last year I won't be able to offer any donation toxxes. however, I hope to see a lot of non-standard NEDs in the thread regardless.

I also want to take a moment to ask that you all be kind to yourself.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Mega64 posted:

If it makes things less tedious for you, use 'em. Nobody's gonna care besides a few weirdos, and this is for charity anyway.

Do what makes it fun for you, those options exist for a reason!

I openly hacked EXP gain to be 65535 a battle when leveling for Shinryu and no one cared.

Follow your heart.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Aerdan posted:

popping in with a reminder that there is a tool for the GBA version which allows you to customize your fiesta experience. sadly, just like last year I won't be able to offer any donation toxxes. however, I hope to see a lot of non-standard NEDs in the thread regardless.

I also want to take a moment to ask that you all be kind to yourself.
This isn't in the OP? Kyro you're falling down on the job!

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Remember when square made Pixel Remasters and they removed special action orders in FF1, making the boss of the game potentially impossible to beat? Good times.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

:hmmyes:

Haven't Fiesta'd in a couple of years now, might be looking to get back into the swing of things

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

(take a guess how many times I will have to do the 4 white mage karnak 500 this year!)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

theshim posted:

(take a guess how many times I will have to do the 4 white mage karnak 500 this year!)

1 time if you do only 1 run
2 times if you do 3 runs
3 times if you do 5 runs
7 times if you do 7 runs. Yes this one means gilgabot is plotting against you.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Kyrosiris posted:

High Quality Goon-Made Fiesta Fanart!

(by Bloodwulfe)

ngl I kind of want this as a jacket patch

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Rosalie_A posted:

I openly hacked EXP gain to be 65535 a battle when leveling for Shinryu and no one cared.

Follow your heart.

I always jack up the AP gain once I get access to the statue grind. I'm going to sit there and grind it all out anyway, why not make it faster?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

I think one year I had a white mage start 5/10 times, and by the third time I just started using a freelancer because while white mage start isn’t hard it is boring as hell especially on an actual gba cart.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I'm not even gonna pretend I'm gonna do more than 2 runs this year.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Funktastic posted:

I think one year I had a white mage start 5/10 times, and by the third time I just started using a freelancer because while white mage start isn’t hard it is boring as hell especially on an actual gba cart.

You'll never lose but you're not going to win any time soon.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Funktastic posted:

I actually have a save file post-fire crystal with 4 white mages, just so I don't have to do it again. I'll do it once a year, but after having had to do it so many times I'm okay with just skipping ahead.

At least Liquid Flame is free with white mages!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Funktastic posted:

Real ones know

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Rolling White Mage for the third time in a row is a time-honored Fiesta tradition.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Probably gonna be one run and done for me this year. To make up for it, I came up with a fun :toxx:. Don't worry, it should be much easier to complete than my previous attempt at one.

One of my favorite silly little things to do in FFV is mess around with the dancing werewolves in Quelb that give you Requiem. Basically, they turn whenever they bump into something, including you. That means that by standing in the right spot, you can break them out of their loop. The other half of this is that if there's nowhere to go in the direction they would turn, they just stay there, running in place. Forever. (Or until you leave the screen, anyway.)

Getting them all stuck on corners is simple enough, but what if we took things... a step further?

:toxx: I will donate $1 for each person who can get all three werewolves all the way down here, capped at $50. (Only one entry per person, please!) It's trickier than it looks, even once you figure out the method for it, because all the other werewolves wandering around can potentially throw a wrench in things.

Disclaimer: I haven't played the Pixel Remaster, so apologies in advance if it changes how their pathing works in a way that makes this no longer possible.

E: I'll also accept the three spots below the bushes instead. From what I can tell, though, that seems like it would be significantly harder to pull off, so I'll also tack on a one time $5 bonus if someone can manage it.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 16:21 on May 23, 2023

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Bregor posted:

Real ones know

Not even the worst Garula fight

CourtlyHades296
May 17, 2021
I ordered myself a repro of the fan translation of FFV, and plan on doing at least one run on real SNES hardware. Combined with legit American SNES copies of FFIV, FFVI and Mystic Quest, I now have every SNES Final Fantasy on actual SNES.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Not even the worst Garula fight

I’ve done it with bard, what’s worst, time?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

bard is the worst I believe

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DalaranJ posted:

I’ve done it with bard, what’s worst, time?

Bard is basically Thief but unable to do any damage or take a singular hit. Time Mage is just White Mage without healing or protect (for the purposes of that fight).

Both are rough for Garula but one is actively painful.

it's not even the worst boss fight four bards have to tackle, not by a country mile...

YorexTheMad
Apr 16, 2007
OBAMA IS A FALSE MESSIAH

ABANDON ALL HOPE
I've only ever heard of the Fiesta, never participated or followed along. Out of curiosity (and because I don't see it in the OP) where does the "fundraising" part of the fundraiser come from?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

KataraniSword posted:

Bard is basically Thief but unable to do any damage or take a singular hit. Time Mage is just White Mage without healing or protect (for the purposes of that fight).

Both are rough for Garula but one is actively painful.

it's not even the worst boss fight four bards have to tackle, not by a country mile...

Except time gets a rod for snapping by then, so it's not a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

YorexTheMad posted:

I've only ever heard of the Fiesta, never participated or followed along. Out of curiosity (and because I don't see it in the OP) where does the "fundraising" part of the fundraiser come from?

The official FJF site will have a donation option to a charity chosen by the organizer running once the preregistration starts. It's not up quite yet, though.