Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

$175 left to claim from my :toxx:es and 5 days to do it in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Just finished my third run this year. Having done two runs in the past, I had more fun with it now that I know what's what and only need to look stuff up occasionally. Game is good.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Pacra posted:

Jackanapes was by far the hardest of these. Oh, I didn't ask if you had to do -all- of them to qualify, if so, back to the drawing board!

Of course you don't have to do all of them! :)

Anyway, thanks to ConanThe3rd, Orange Fluffy Sheep, Bregor, MagusofStars, Odysseus S. Grant, Ghost-Slug, CourtlyHades296, SirSystemError, Spelling Mitsake, Rasamune, Kinu Nishimura, Android Blues, Serene Dragon, Shyfted One, DalaranJ, Doom Goon, Pacra for hunting rare game and participating in my toxx. I hope you had fun with it.

(The toxx is still open, so I'll do another donation if anybody needs to rush in at the last second.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

blakelmenakle
Sep 1, 2007
AHEM! There's sand on my boots!

2nd run done! Meteor 5th Job Berserker Risk gave Berserker/Knight/Black Mage/Geomancer, with the 5th job being... Berserker. One Berserker was enough for the run so it just replaced itself. Between Two-Handed and Black Magic, there really wasn't anything of challenge until NED. NED took a few attempts, spent the first couple trying to get Break to land, then when that failed decided I was better off just dealing with Almagest and try to rush it down before a second came. Faris and Thorg had enough HP to tank it while Krile had an Aegis Shield to block it. Lost one attempt late when Thorg took a Vacuum Wave at the same time that Lenna's Condemned ran out... and Faris decided to finish off the 3rd piece. One last aga spell wasn't enough and Meteor ended that run. Final attempt went better, though Lenna still ate a Meteor at the end.

Bregor posted:

Okay I'm a dumb idiot, and so I feel the need to cleanse myself with a :toxx:

You're Actually a Coward if you take the Brave Blade

It seems like every time I take a hiatus from the Fiesta, when I come back, Gilgabot gives me a team with a) a Knight, and b) no way to avoid Chicken Knife's Flee effect. So I get this idea in my head that I should not run away from any random encounter in the entire friggin' game! And every time I regret it as soon as I get blown off the Big Bridge in W2! I'm also a coward for refusing to shift gears, and therefore, I should pay. I will donate $5 for every full-power Brave Blade used on NED, up to $150 total (in honor of the totally epic and also extremely not-worth-it attack power of the dumbest sword in the game). Don't do it! It's really dumb! But if you insist, at least you'll be teaching me a lesson.

Best part of the PR version: I can be a double coward!

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Got the first crown, the other two are coming sometime later.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

blakelmenakle posted:

Ha! Then I’m counting you twice! 12/30

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

blakelmenakle posted:

Saw a similar thing with two Chicken Knives on a video I saw while doing some research for my current run. How's it work?

Jose Valasquez posted:

:toxx: $5 per completed run between now and the end of fiesta. Max is whatever I have left on 0CK and speedrun toxxes (those are still available too though)

Well, I have one more. I'll post the full report here, because if this isn't worth posting a full report I don't know what is.

As I alluded to, I wanted to do a !Blame run. Couldn't finish it back in the day because of life and computer issues. There weren't enough donations to do it the way I wanted, but I found another way: Upgrade with BERSERKER RISK, and not upgrading at all once Berserker is hit. I played it on GBA, for speedup and a much easier Neo ExDeath.

I started instantly, as in, from New Game when our hero, named in honor of the man himself who inspired the secret option (well, as much as can fit into the textbox anyway), is still named ?. I got to Lv8 before Wing Raptor, but it remained uninteresting because the Berserkers killed it before it went into defense mode. Karlabos was also splattered, and both even with two characters lacking weapons. I got Dagger drops in the Ship Graveyard to rectify it before Siren. No problems from her, Magisa/Forza, or Garula. For wild Garula, simple attacks worked before it fled.

Got to Level 23 before the Fire Ship, needed Eyedrops in case of Crew Dust Flashing. Beat the boss with only Lenna downed and completed the escape. Dhorme Chimera couldn't win before I did. I beat Jackanapes with hammers then went to the Ancient Library. Ifrit was easy. The trick with Byblos is to outdamage his counter-Drains. Besides leveling, using Mythril Hammers (the Gauche was fine) reduced his defense enough to make enough of a difference. With the ship, hammers killed the Skull Eater. I farmed up four Death Scythes and killed Minidragons with them to break defense (Ramuh also got beat).

Then it it was time for the big Sandworm/Soul Cannon grind. I tried a few spots and ultimately settled on Black Flames. They're relatively nonthreatening and give a good amount of experience and gil. I hit level 41, earning over 600000 gil in the process. Enough for 4 copies of all the rings! Angel Rings were the most important because they give the most magic evasion.

You have a 1/7 chance of hitting Sandworm in this battle: there's three holes, three Sandworm positions (which redirect onto holes), and one actual target. Sandworm is always considered to be backrow. The big exception is 2013 where it'll always attack the front and Sandworm is always considered to be in the front row, but that version has its own problems. It took like thirty to forty tries? I experimented with weapons, settling on Death Sickles after seeing a video that used them (in spite of their death spells triggering double the counters). But eventually, it was done!

Prototype, Crayclaw, and Adamantoise were all run over effortlessly. The little guns before the cannon even more so: the Launchers only do percent-based damage and rely on confusion, but Berserkers can't be confused. Flame Rings laughed at the other one. The Soul Cannon was first try. Probably only really bad for solos.

From here on out, it would be relatively smooth sailing until the final boss. Archaeoavis didn't use enough percent damage attacks to win. The Puroburos eventually just ran out of MP; Mage Mashers stopped their spells when they could. Titan and Manticore were easy. Ran through Gilgamesh 1 and 2. Tyrannosaurus was a matter of taking off Death Sickles and hoping he didn't kill with ???. I upgraded equipment and went into Drakenvale. No problems there, the first Death Sickle swing felled the Dragon Pod. Kept them off throughout, naturally. Got my Reflect Rings which took the team to 44. Atomos got wrecked. Death Sickles for the Crystals. No chance of Gil Turtle, by the way: I'd need to level them up enough to survive a 3500+ damage Earth Shaker and get that far in the first place. Which, I guess I could've done, but didn't feel like it. I wore Reflect Rings for Exdeath.

Needed to spend time running to power up the Chicken Knife after obtaining it - this is another reason I usually don't take it. After the Pyramid (which was also mostly running) and running through Melusine, I went to Mirage and then into the Void. It was a detour and I wasn't quite ready to beat the game yet, but there was stuff to get. Namely, steals. My targets were Aegis Shields from Gorgimeras, Bone Mails for Necromancers, and Thor's Hammers from Death Claws. Not even Quadzerker has problems with Calofisteri. Apanda was also defeated handily. I barely beat Azulmagia and then Catostrophe was simple. For Halicarn, I reloaded for the rare Aegis Shield steal. No problem there: Reflect Rings stopped the mega Holys and once I was untoaded I wrecked them. Coral Rings for Twin Tania. After a couple hours of resets and attempts I eventually just hacked in the remainder of what I needed. >_> It was just to save time and effort.

I actually had to quicksave out of the Void because I'd run out of Hi-Potions! Can't really grind in there because of that. My next goal was to reach a high enough level to beat the game. Which is like, in the 70s at the very least to start taking shots at NED. Everhate himself went to high 80s, and was on SNES with the Gaia Hammer magic underflow bug. I saw mid-80s for another strat on PR. This would be the one reason to play on Pixel Remaster, since that has built-in experience boosting. Just snapping my fingers and maxing it felt like too much. Of course, everything else I could make use of was on the table.

The overworld was the ideal grind spot, so I used this resource to check my options. Near Kelb seemed promising: the two common encounters give 1100, the semirare gives 825, and the rare still gives 600. Consistency was key, and none of the encounters are particularly dangerous.

Once I got 71, I went in. Actually no problems from the enemies this time, no hi-potions and only a few Elixirs used. I beat Gilgamesh 5 and Necrophobe, getting the Genji equipment in the process. But before I mingled with Exdeath, I decided to go after Shinryu. Omega is of course, overdesigned trash and impossible to even damage with this team (it is very very hypothetically possible to survive).

I farmed up four Ice Shields from Belphegors, the hard way mind you. Equipment across all was Thor's Hammer (best damage, can't use Chicken Knife since you can run), Ice Shield (absorbs Snowstorm), Diamond Helm (stops Lightning), Bone Mail (absorbs Roulette), and Coral Ring (stops Tidal Wave/Atomic Ray). Then it was a matter of running the fight until they killed Shinryu before Maelstrom into physical/Lightning killed them. It eventually happened.

There are various strategies for fighting Neo Exdeath with Quadzerkers. For SFC, the underflow bug is typically abused. One strategy I saw was zombies wielding Death Sickles to act as healers. But anyway, 71 wasn't enough despite an old GameFAQs guide saying 65ish. I had to go back and grind more. At about level 75 I figured, what am I trying to prove? It was eventually going to hit a point where I'd need thousands of fights per level up. Well, PR lets you increase enemy experience values, so that's what I did to accelerate things. I ended up going to 97, mostly in case I'm dumb enough to try and see how far this can go into Sealed Temple. Then it was just back into the void to try until I win.

The setup was to use Status Bug to get Bone Mail and Angel Ring resistances. I wore Reflect Rings. I could've tried to farm Mirage Vests but I didn't feel like it, so instead the actual armor worn was Black Garbs. Aegis Shields for shields, Plumed Hats just for magic defense, and Thor's Hammers for weapons. Except Faris. She got the Chicken Knife, had Genji Shield status bugged, and wore the Genji Armor for maximum status protection.

Would you believe it was second try? I can't. First I stopped when a Meteor got off near the end of the tree phase. I recorded the video differently this time, still not to my liking, but the lua script and better quality is probably worth more. There was a real sick reflected Delta Attack that hit the Almagest part, later than I wanted, but still great. The team was Maelstromed at the end when the magic part went into the desperation phase, but I won There's definitely a luck factor involved in this fight even at high levels. I just got lucky to see it very fast.

So yeah, glad to finally do the Quadzerker run. It was certainly a blast, even if the grinding got extremely obnoxious in the end. Certainly my last fiesta for the year, burned out and don't think I can cram another into the time that's left.

Though in bad news, right as I finished uploading the video, I learned my grandma is probably going to have to put her Boston Terrier down on Thursday. Her cushing's have gotten too bad. Spoiled my mood in a hurry, ugh.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 29, 2023

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

SirSystemError posted:

I farmed up four Ice Shields from Belphegors, the hard way mind you. Equipment across all was Thor's Hammer (best damage, can't use Chicken Knife since you can run), Ice Shield (absorbs Snowstorm), Diamond Helm (stops Lightning), Bone Mail (absorbs Roulette), and Coral Ring (stops Tidal Wave/Atomic Ray). Then it was a matter of running the fight until they killed Shinryu before Maelstrom into physical/Lightning killed them. It eventually happened.

Nice! My Quadzerker I did NED at 74 and Shinryu 99 (and kept eating L3Flare like an idiot... stop at 97 next time...) so hats off to you!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

SirSystemError posted:

Saw a similar thing with two Chicken Knives on a video I saw while doing some research for my current run. How's it work?

Quicksave when offered the choice, reload, pick the box you want, try to leave and the event triggers again and refreshes the boxes.

Next year I'm tempted to offer a challenge to go into NED with a full-power CK and BB. It's only 254 escapes followed by 750 consecutive wins, easy-peasy.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 29, 2023

TheWonderTrickster
Aug 16, 2013
Eh. I wanted to do a very dumb gimmick this year where each run I would have solo'd triple crowned in XIV with one of the classes I rolled but that didn't pan out due to tl;dr - Chose to do this XIV Savage Tier through PF due to irl plans that backfired, PF is PF so trying to mass grind a decent amount of gear from savage to make it comfortable to reliably solo Omega Normal on any class (except Blue Mage, gently caress Blue Mage) was... bad. I'll probably quote this and do at least Dancer since it's not the official end of the fiesta yet :v:

Since I peeked ahead of time I honored Zerky before they left and left everyone on Berserk until the void- grinding 50 or so elixirs for something dumb. Fast forwarded until I grinded Reflect Rings and then stopped until earlier this night when I had the end of run procrastination boost.

Nothing too special, Beastmaster provides a triple crown out

Didn't feel like doing any toxxes, but I may as well honor an oldie:

...The 50 elixirs went towards thief knifing a Ragnarok from NED without rewind scumming :shepface:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Jose Valasquez posted:

I've got lots of leftover toxx money and there's a week left in fiesta.

:toxx: $5 per completed run between now and the end of fiesta. Max is whatever I have left on 0CK and speedrun toxxes (those are still available too though)

Procrastinating on my one and only run pays off. :v:

Jose Valasquez posted:

:toxx:
I'll do the 0 power chicken knife once again, $10 up to a Max of $150 per run that uses a 0 power Chicken Knife on NED
Please provide a screenshot of the equipment screen and one of the wielder attacking NED

Why yes, I am unhinged enough to do this with a thief. To be fair, this was a Fifth Job run, so I didn't actually have it for most of the game. To be less fair, the job I replaced with it was ranger. :twisted:

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Time to make a huge mistake and try to blitz Onion.

E: PLD, MNK, BRD, NIN. Might be able to squeeze a Triple Crown out of this one, since I can bring a level 99 Monk's autohit 248~266 base damage kicks to bear against a stunlocked Omega.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Aug 29, 2023

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Bregor posted:

Nice! My Quadzerker I did NED at 74 and Shinryu 99 (and kept eating L3Flare like an idiot... stop at 97 next time...) so hats off to you!

Thanks. Glad to know I at least was on the right track when it came to the proper levels before I decided to go 97.

Mandoric posted:

Time to make a huge mistake and try to blitz Onion.

E: PLD, MNK, BRD, NIN. Might be able to squeeze a Triple Crown out of this one, since I can bring a level 99 Monk's autohit 248~266 base damage kicks to bear against a stunlocked Omega.

Good luck! Also you won't need kick: a stopped Omega can't evade.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Couldn’t you just throw anime at Omega?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Throwing anime reminds me of work, though. :(

Kick isn't 100%ing for me, I guess as part of the weird PR implementation that makes it also inherit weapon attack? Thanks for the reminder that I have a way around that.

(Relatedly, I'm not recording, but I just saw a kick glitch in action--got attacked during its charge, countered, then threw out a double kick.)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

:woop: I did it!

Last year I showed that a true solo Blue Mage triple crown was possible on the Pixel version due to some difference. However, I've found that it always has been possible, since the original version! It's just very, very convoluted. I'll post the video description and then add more at the bottom:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6w6Qv3pfBA
How does this work?

The key to successfully winning is that you want to prevent Circle as a counterattack which, if successful, is an instant wipe. Thankfully, Circle, Emission, Delta Attack, and Blaster uses MP so if you were to get rid of Omega's MP those attacks fail. The key to doing that is that (Magic) Hammer doesn't reflect off of Omega, so with enough time and luck you can do so (at least until you run out of Ethers). You'll absolutely want to use at least one reflected Dark Shock to reduce Omega's level. To help with the MP race is an Elixir which causes a slight bug in how the game calculates maximum MP, as using it on Omega actually reduces its MP to 9999. Please note it's not required but it will help! You also don't have to use Hammer to its end as as long as its low enough Omega will run out of MP on its own. When you don't have Circle to worry about during safe periods (before Targeting) you can use Blowfish to do a guaranteed non-missable 1000 damage! It'll still take roughly 56 attacks but as you can see it is doable. Funny enough I have gotten ???? to hit for Max HP - current HP damage but since it's not A (aka always hits) it's not worth doing.

What are the odds?

Well, first you'll want to land at least one reflected DarkShock off of a Magic Lamp. Each landing technically at LVL 95 has a ((66 [%] + 95 [LVL] - 119 [Omega LVL]))/2 [Shell] = 21% chance, and if successful you roll against Omega's huge magic evade (95%) for a 5% success chance. Combined that's a whopping 1.5% success rate! Thankfully the odds of it happening at least once are better with two or three tries in a series.

You'll want to land it at least once but try for more if it's safe to. Then the odds of Hammer hitting becomes ((75 [%] + 95 [LVL] - 59 [Omega new LVL, integer halved]))/2 [Shell] = 55 (integer halved), then the 5% evade success chance for 2.75% per Hammer. But because it isn't reflected and Blue Magic isn't silenceable like Magic Lamp you can try for it (and then, damage) much easier, racing your 99 Ethers.

In case you are wondering, I have definitely had attempts where I got Omega to non-usable MP but still didn't have enough Ethers left to win. You can partially mitigate the strain with smart Ether use on turns and using Venom Rods (and theoretically Flame Rods, though you'll want to keep the Aegis Shield for Delta Attack on that first round while Omega can use it, as well as keeping Aegis to minimize Maelstrom during the double round always) when it's safe to do so. I felt switching out Aegis was too unwieldy (risky over long periods) to do, except when it was best after the double phase since then you'll likely want to to mitigate MP healing usage anyway.

A note, you actually can use Elixirs (on Undead to reduce HP to 1-9 but get back all MP) but the risk is too great. First you'd need a turn where you don't get the Surge Beam in Omega's double phase. The Sap ends sometime after Targeting so you'd have to very carefully use an Elixir then, making sure to switch to the Fire Shield to absorb the chance of Atomic Ray (I've done it but the timing is so tight it's not worth it) or Aegis Shield to dodge. Unfortunately, you might get a Rainbow Wind there too which causes Sap so it's a bit of a risk/reward situation especially if the Elixir gives you a small number. You then have to luck out and have just single ticks before you can fit a L5 Death before the upcoming post-Target attack Surge Beam. It's super rough!

Another key is that L5 Death, like most things, won't reflect to KOed characters (something I keep forgetting when I replay this game). That means that L5 Death is a relatively low cost full heal if wearing Bone Mail. Hence LVL 95, the highest level you can be while still getting this healing.

I also want to note that this technique works on the GBA version as well! In fact, it is probably easier to due less pseudorandomness. You notice that battle rounds will play out similarly as long as certain things are the same or similar. Case in point, I've never had two DarkShock land more than once in a series on the SNES/SFC version but have recently had Dark Spark land twice once just when I was testing out the GBA version (in fact, technically that's the version I did this first on but only in testing. I knew this one would be harder so I went for it in a real run!). I've also found it rare (though it did happen) that DarkShock would even hit at all during the beginning of the first round, and it seemed to have more success if I waited a round or so. Through testing I eventually figured out just 1 DarkShock would be enough in most cases!

So just a solo Blue Mage is, and now we know *has always been*, a triple crown class! Final tally over ~1:48:42 battle: 80 Ethers, 10 Venom Rods, innumerable attempts, and 1 Elixir.

:words: Okay, new stuff:

I originally got this idea because of the White Mage Prototype fight, which is pretty cool! I was fighting something with Reflect in that run and got caught a couple times and it just all clicked into place. Funny enough throughout the years that I've tried soloing Omega with a Blue Mage I have fought a modified version of Omega with 0MP, but I believe this was before the whole Dark Shock/Omega thing (for Goblin Punches). I also totally forgot that L5 Death works that way, which I shouldn't have since basically everything else does. I blame Roulette.

Oh, I also made a little something to celebrate:

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Making good on my toxx. Assuming I didn't miss anyone, there was one successful corralling of the werewolves by Serene Dragon, and two "misunderstood the assignment"s from Android Blues that were funny/impressive enough that I'm counting them anyway. I'm also going to toss in the extra $5 for this:

Cattail Prophet posted:

E: I'll also accept the three spots below the bushes instead. From what I can tell, though, that seems like it would be significantly harder to pull off, so I'll also tack on a one time $5 bonus if someone can manage it.

Because immediately after making that edit I did in fact get it to work, though it took a lucky assist from another werewolf for the last one. And gently caress it, let's go ahead and bump the base payscale up to $5 too, that brings it to a nice even $20.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Since it's nearly the end of the season, I am tallying up my Blue Mage toxx! I have posts with clears from Shyfted One, Red Metal, and DalaranJ - if I missed you, please link to your post so I can properly tally them up and donate!

Rynyin
Feb 10, 2006

H.Y.C.Y.BH?

Rynyin posted:

:toxx:

I couldn't help it!

10$ For every completion where your Mime and Freelancer gain a passive benefit from mastering a class you don't have access to by the end of the game.

This is possible if you have a mime or freelancer (Either through Meteor runs or Job fair) who take advantage of stats from a class that is removed from your list (Through Job fair, Fifth Job, Extra Jobs, Forbidden, or any other methods i'm forgetting)

Generally meaning for this to be for stat bonuses gained by mastering a class, but can also apply to passive abilities too like Thief or Geomancer map abilities. Not counting active abilities because you shouldn't be using those anyway. Basically anything that you gain in mime or freelancer that you have no control over.

Giving 20$ for myself but opening up another 5 slots for up to 50$ on top.

This is less of a challenge toxx and more of a penance. Also amazing luck to have both Mime and Freelancer in a meteor run!
Red Metal
zzMisc

I think I counted two completions for this one, but I'll +1 incase I missed one and to round out my donations this year to an even 50$. I forgot to take a screenshot when I made my personal donation in June but I'll include a shot from my donation e-mail.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Making good on my toxx. Assuming I didn't miss anyone, there was one successful corralling of the werewolves by Serene Dragon, and two "misunderstood the assignment"s from Android Blues that were funny/impressive enough that I'm counting them anyway. I'm also going to toss in the extra $5 for this:

Because immediately after making that edit I did in fact get it to work, though it took a lucky assist from another werewolf for the last one. And gently caress it, let's go ahead and bump the base payscale up to $5 too, that brings it to a nice even $20.

I have to admit, to my shame, that I spent 15 minutes on the werewolves and just couldn’t figure them out. A harsh skill issue!

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

SirSystemError posted:

Quadzerker run

Doom Goon posted:

solo Blue Mage

You guys are insane and the writeups are amazing. well done!!!

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I've paid up for my toxxes too, but I'll still do more if there are more clears

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Doom Goon posted:

So just a solo Blue Mage is, and now we know *has always been*, a triple crown class! Final tally over ~1:48:42 battle: 80 Ethers, 10 Venom Rods, innumerable attempts, and 1 Elixir.
Very nicely done! I've done this before as a challenge to see which solos could beat Omega, though I didn't record it or think to use Reflected L5 Death to heal.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I finished a run. Didn't really do anything fancy but called Buttz LGBT.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
PLD, MNK, BRD, NIN finishing thoughts as I dive into the rift, where I'm already sure of every strat:

This is a very good roll, it comes with everything to triple crown without serious grind. But also, after run after run of ugh I got THF, I really wish I had gotten THF instead of MNK. WHM would have improved it quite a bit too, unusually even aside from avoiding frantic item micro for heals--rods and staves is a lack I've definitely felt, not so much for breaking as for niche onhits.

Given the three-calendar-day timer, I'm glad FF5 is the last of the short-and-sweet FFs, even though the more involved event choreography takes away from that a bit. But also, this lineup kind of suffers from it--
MNK, of course, the exponential scaler, kind of waddles in uselessness the whole way as 5's easily the lowest-level leveled endgame short of 8. PR change to make !Kick a single autoattack on all targets helps a bit when paired with Equip Sword and this will almost definitely be an Excalibur-holder in the endgame. If I ever do a conversion hack I'm definitely bringing in 4's elemental/status claws, both to give them a place and to remove how tied to MK that whole field of potential is.
Relatedly, the PLD/NIN dynamic where dual-wielding is supposed to feel Really Hype but it's just a slightly worse (twice as expensive to impossible for uniques) but fully passive DblGrip. I understand that the job that Just Swords Hard needs to get the really cool swords, and that a combination of the game flow and space in the item list on a cartridge probably smaller than this page of this thread with avatars/thumbnails included means there's little room for non-really-cool swords--but the result is that there is kiiiind of a Great Value MK option, but it's just PLD and only in the midgame and only LIT/ICE/FIR. Again on those conversion ideas, I'd probably convert a bunch of the knight swords to standard ones to compensate MK for losing its niche, then make DblGrip double A instead of M to give PLD a niche back (and make Brave Blade useful for something other than "I have literally no effect-overriders"--that's 110 A to spare even after Omega's defense.) Meanwhile, NIN's weapon selection should be opened up to staves and rods, both thematically and to lean on the potential benefits of dual-wielding; my ideal here is ie mainhand for raw damage but also offhand "keep this debuff refreshed" outside of offhanding a Mage Masher, like my weapon allocation is now fixed on BB/Thief Knife to my PLD's BB and my MNK's kick fuel (and better even without the double attack on NED) Excalibur--on NED the Thief Knife will just be Ragnarok.

Oh, relatedly, I have literally no effect-overriders except maybe boost, and boost would be overflowing the advantage away, so why not do something stupid

BRD is typically considered not a very fun walking-around job for normal playthroughs, like GEO because of its general garbage gear selection, but like GEO autobattle makes it one of the best. Set to Love Song and forget about random battles while still getting the gil and exp and drops.

... Which is good, because my single biggest stopper this run was nearly two hours fishing for Reflect Rings.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh yeah, should probably post the rest of my win. First, here's a blooper reel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lt7OhKVwz4

I job faired for 4 Blue Mages to celebrate but I can't remember what the original classes were. Think I actually got a Mime in there again (or two?), one of them was Chemist I'm pretty sure, and I think I saw a Dancer.

https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1696741483674833019
https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1696742269137887398
https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1696742781904191666

https://twitter.com/BookWyvern/status/1697148524297900492
I did everything this run, so Bestiary up to (and past) Fork Tower.

nrook posted:

:toxx: Hunting Rare Game
Crud, forgot some screenshots again. Think I did Garula (rods probably), for sure I did Jackanapes, think Prototype was before Sol Cannon, Exdeath Soul definitely. Here's the rest:

In the videos.

Jose Valasquez posted:

0 power chicken knife
In the video, right near the final Mind Blast series iirc.

DalaranJ posted:

:toxx: A little more conversation, :toxx:
I mean... technically? All were Blue Mage and I only used the one lol.

SirSystemError posted:

Very nicely done! I've done this before as a challenge to see which solos could beat Omega, though I didn't record it or think to use Reflected L5 Death to heal.
Interesting! Same thing, SNES/SFC running Omega's MP? How'd you heal? White Winds are so expensive, I can't imagine eating 2 Rocket Punches (or more if you push it!) and having enough Ethers to last. Not to mention all the shield switching if you want to capitalize on fire, sheesh.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Did a quick run just to get something complete this year, got handed the easy mode team of Blue/Mystic/Bard/Chemist. Decided to do the run on my mod instead of the usual extra spicy randomizer just to avoid the hassle of figuring out how to level my team, but despite that some funny stuff did end up happening. I finished the run in two sessions, first one all the up to Dragon Pod and the second run all the way to the end (plus the superbosses).

Ended up skipping all the treasures in the Pyramid except for the Gold Hairpin, and I went so quickly I didn't realize I was missing Hermes Sandals on my party, plus I didn't have !Sing learned on any of my characters, so after reaching Omega the first time I left the void and melted down a hundred or so statues to get everything I needed before going back in. I also forgot to grind a power staff so I decided to resort to !Mix to take down Shinryu. I somehow didn't have any Dragon Fangs though, so I figured I had to grind one off a dragon in the void until I remembered there was a chest in the forest section that has a Dragon Fang, so I picked up that sole item on the way.

Finally, by the time I made it to the last section of the void I realized I had only 9 phoenix downs, so I decided I would power through the entire thing (Shinryu, Necrophobe and NED) relying solely on those, plus the Sage Staff I picked up. I did end up burning all of them by the time I beat Necrophobe, so I had the fun challenge of beating NED without access to a single phoenix down, which took 3 attempts; the first one fizzled after my Chemist was hit by a stray Holy from tree form and the second one was because I forgot to mow down Almagest with Break blade before it fired off. The third attempt almost failed when I triggered NED's endgame AI that spams all the high level spells.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"i only had 9 phoenix downs" is pretty funny because the sage staff is basically infinity phoenix downs

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
It's infinite phoenix downs until the party member who can use it gets knocked out :v:

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'll count both :toot:

Completions: Pacra, DalaranJ, Internet Savant, SirSystemError x2, SereneDragon, Pacra, Various Meat Products, blakelmenakle, TheWonderTrickster, Cattail Prophet, MatchaZed, Doom Goon, Can of Worms

Alright, I did sign up for another run and I got it done about 8 hours before the fiesta ends. I job faired myself from red/white/sam/drg to blue/beast/sam/drg because ugh that former team would have been too sloggy for the 4 days I had. Blue/beast is a classic combo that I've only ever gotten before once way back in 2015, so why not?

I didn't do any other toxxes because I was pushing as is to get this run done in time. I thought about the blue mage one but figured it'd make the run slower. I also got a lot of ones by total accident (???, flash, moon flute, L4 graviga, time slip, missile and lilliputian lyric (thanks Greg!) lol) anyway.

Alright, I'm not crazy enough to think I can get another run in this year, but I'm happy I managed to push to 4 instead of giving up mid-run 3.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'll count both :toot:

Completions: Pacra, DalaranJ, Internet Savant, SirSystemError x2, SereneDragon x2, Pacra, Various Meat Products, blakelmenakle, TheWonderTrickster, Cattail Prophet, MatchaZed, Doom Goon, Can of Worms

I wasn’t sure if i was gonna finish my third run, but hey what the hell.

Would’ve liked to do more than three runs this year, but hey that’s life.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
And, that's a wrap.

Basically everything skippable was skipped, and I even went with Apollo Harp and the two knives rather than Excalibur (which turned out to save my bacon--Shinryu refused to zombie me so my "bounce atomic rays off zombies" plan shifted on the fly into "oh god I hope I can get 11 turns chucking shuriken/playing the harp".)

NED was a bag of dicks because Almagest was a guaranteed double kill with a -ga from the back immediately after usually making that triple, but eventually I got it into Dispel and a nonthreatening Grand Cross. Final setup was Hermes Sandals and shop armor on all since I didn't feel like playing with Necrophobia and didn't have access to anything else special, MNK pure Almagest insurance HP Up 30%; NIN backup DPS (~4k) after throwing my last fuma shuriken and even Sasuke's katana, Equip Swords, BB/Ragnarok; PLD two-fisting the other BB for around 7k; BRD singing the level song until getting pasted by Almagest and switching over to secondary heals, Equip Shield, Main Gauche/Aegis.

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest

Alpha3KV posted:

Got the first crown, the other two are coming sometime later.

Finally finished the drat thing, just in time.

Got the triple crown.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Right under the wire! Wasn't sure I would finish this year because I got sidetracked by a bunch of other games and got kinda burnt out, but I figured I couldn't in good conscience not finish a run where I finally rolled a Chemist.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Doom Goon posted:

Interesting! Same thing, SNES/SFC running Omega's MP? How'd you heal? White Winds are so expensive, I can't imagine eating 2 Rocket Punches (or more if you push it!) and having enough Ethers to last. Not to mention all the shield switching if you want to capitalize on fire, sheesh.
GBA, Dark Spark bounce, and running out Omega's MP. Status bug Bone Mail and generally playing carefully. Gold Hairpin helps with the MP costs, and of course, with Bone Mail off I can use Elixirs to heal HP/MP. I didn't do shield switching and stuck with Aegis, but I certainly have in the past.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Kyrosiris posted:

Since it's nearly the end of the season, I am tallying up my Blue Mage toxx! I have posts with clears from Shyfted One, Red Metal, and DalaranJ - if I missed you, please link to your post so I can properly tally them up and donate!

$24.26 for rods, $2 for speed traps, and $6 for the three people who posted about clearing the Blue Mage toxx.

Eh, close enough. :shrug:

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

SirSystemError posted:

GBA, Dark Spark bounce, and running out Omega's MP. Status bug Bone Mail and generally playing carefully. Gold Hairpin helps with the MP costs, and of course, with Bone Mail off I can use Elixirs to heal HP/MP. I didn't do shield switching and stuck with Aegis, but I certainly have in the past.
Ah, the old status immunity bug. I forgot that existed!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SirSystemError posted:

The overworld was the ideal grind spot, so I used this resource to check my options. Near Kelb seemed promising: the two common encounters give 1100, the semirare gives 825, and the rare still gives 600. Consistency was key, and none of the encounters are particularly dangerous.
I'm surprised by this - either you want as close to fully afk as possible (in which case you're using either Istory Falls waterfalls or the Pyramid's slopes to automatically stay in place) or you want to be paying even the slightest amount of attention (in which case the encounters in the desert outside Phoenix Tower give something like 4x this experience and all you have to do is use a Cottage occasionally - was Quelb really the best place?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Landcrawlers, though. I'm sure quadzerkers can still beat them, but can they do it consistently?

Fake edit: Looking at that map, I don't think the experience is actually all that much better, either. You might be forgetting to divide it between the four party members?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cattail Prophet posted:

Landcrawlers, though. I'm sure quadzerkers can still beat them, but can they do it consistently?

Fake edit: Looking at that map, I don't think the experience is actually all that much better, either. You might be forgetting to divide it between the four party members?
...oh poo poo I for sure am, I didn't check the numbers outside Quelb. That's definitely better then, never mind!