Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

quote:

Cormac McCarthy, the formidable and reclusive writer of Appalachia and the American Southwest, whose raggedly ornate early novels about misfits and grotesques gave way to the lush taciturnity of “All the Pretty Horses” and the apocalyptic minimalism of “The Road,” died on Tuesday at his home in Santa Fe, N.M. He was 89.

Knopf, his publisher, said in a statement that this son, John, had confirmed the death.
RIP McCarthy :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

:pressf:

I have loved all of his books that I have read so far, time to dig deeper into his bibliography

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

i'm really sad about this. i have enjoyed all of his books, and it's sad there will be no more.

i also wonder how this will affect the blood meridian movie that he was consulting on.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

personally I hope it kills it permanently. I really don't think they should try filming it

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

Bilirubin posted:

personally I hope it kills it permanently. I really don't think they should try filming it

agree. i do not think it is possible to film it.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
agreed. his words can't really be conveyed / replicated on screen. anything that comes out would feel inauthentic. the only reason I was even okay with it was because he was consulting.

if you want to piss yourself off, you can check out James Franco's attempt at filming Blood Meridian

Here is Cormac's last interview, if you don't want to piss yourself off:

youtube.com/watch?v=HrUy1Vn2KdI

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
RIP to a real one, I loved No Country For Old Men (both book and movie versions)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Bilirubin posted:

Yeah some things work perfectly as they are and can't be translated into another medium without losing what makes them great

Really bummed about his death

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Rip to the goat

Enfys posted:

Yeah some things work perfectly as they are and can't be translated into another medium without losing what makes them great

Really bummed about his death

Nah

I think blood Meridian is pretty filmmable actually, it's no more impossibly hosed up than the average Lynch or Herzog imo. Those guys are probably too old to want to spend that much time in the Sonoran tho. A good visual horror director like Robert Eggers or Panos Cosmatos could do a great job, or at least produce an interesting failure like Ridley & Cormac's The Counselor.

Is Hillcoat still attached? His The Road was ok, but he's already done his version of blood Meridian it's called the proposition and it's p great but still fairly conventional compared to McCarthy's stuff. I don't think he's weird or daring or mature enough, for example his ending of the road: he made sure we see that the Road Warden was telling the truth to The Boy, and even gave them a dog they apparently don't need to eat (lol wut)! The book's ending is much more clear that being a good person has no relation to survival or reward but should simply be done anyways in the face of certain death. I worry with Hillcoat we might get The Kid killing Holden lmao

escape artist posted:

agreed. his words can't really be conveyed / replicated on screen. anything that comes out would feel inauthentic. the only reason I was even okay with it was because he was consulting.

if you want to piss yourself off, you can check out James Franco's attempt at filming Blood Meridian

Outer Dark?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Blood Boils posted:

Outer Dark?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9NeAzZbZYg

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

This is just test footage, that's like getting mad at a first draft. Fwiw I don't think Franco would make a good director for it, but even his final product wouldn't look like a fan film

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Blood Boils posted:

This is just test footage, that's like getting mad at a first draft. Fwiw I don't think Franco would make a good director for it, but even his final product wouldn't look like a fan film

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jmbv4k/adapting-blood-meridian

read that pretentious poo poo and tell me Franco isn't worthy of hate

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

FWIW We are currently conducting our monthly Book of the Month poll in the Barn and for July it will be a Cormac McCarthy. Come vote and join in the reading and chatting! Or stuff the ballot box with what others should read. Its a checkbox poll so all the more reason for voting

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

escape artist posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/jmbv4k/adapting-blood-meridian

read that pretentious poo poo and tell me Franco isn't worthy of hate

There's other, much better reasons to hate James Franco than, like many filmmakers, he failed to get Blood Meridian off the ground.

His redraft is laughably bad and dumb, for sure, but I'm not sure it's worth hating - he seems to have written it for his own amusement after he made his test footage and lost the film rights?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Blood Boils posted:

There's other, much better reasons to hate James Franco than, like many filmmakers, he failed to get Blood Meridian off the ground.

His redraft is laughably bad and dumb, for sure, but I'm not sure it's worth hating - he seems to have written it for his own amusement after he made his test footage and lost the film rights?

Yeah he's definitely a despicable fellow given what he did to those women who trusted him. I felt like the redraft was so painful to read and pretentious. He seems to shoehorn in a No Country reference because he has no grasp of McCarthy's actual themes.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Franco's redraft certainly doesn't help his case for his adaptation, that I agree with. But it's not his proposed script, it's not really clear why he made it after the studio passed on him.

The reference to other McCarthy works is probably just that: a reference. Franco's a shithead but he's not stupid, I'm sure he's aware of a bunch of McCarthy's themes, being such a fan and all.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Well that's a fair enough assessment, I'll say.

I have not bothered to check out his adaptation of Child of God. This is another one that is grotesquely violent. Another one I don't think could transfer well to the screen, because the prose is what makes it great, not the story. I should probably watch it though before I say anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God_(film)

Please join our book club reading of Suttree in The Book Barn, everyone.

Help a goon out! Lots of books - horror, nonfiction, classics and more for sale.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 5, 2023

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

escape artist posted:

I have not bothered to check out his adaptation of Child of God. This is another one that is grotesquely violent. Another one I don't think could transfer well to the screen, because the prose is what makes it great, not the story. I should probably watch it though before I say anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God_(film)

i had not heard of this, and i agree - i do not think it would make a good adaptation. i am willing to give it a chance though; i will check it out.

baka of lathspell
Jan 1, 2022

hard agree on not filming the evening redness, & people should probably also just read no country for old men instead of watching the movie too

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

baka fwocka fwame posted:

hard agree on not filming the evening redness, & people should probably also just read no country for old men instead of watching the movie too

it's a great book and reading it is a very different experience from watching the movie but they're both good imo

s_c_a_r_e_
May 9, 2003

vyelkin posted:

it's a great book and reading it is a very different experience from watching the movie but they're both good imo

agree with this. the movie was excellent too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

rip to the old dude, Ive only read the road and blood meridian, and maybe didn't appreciate them enough