Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
We're doing Nanowrimo again!

What is Nanowrimo?

Nanowrimo is an annual event where people around the world sign up to write 50,000 words for a creative project of their choice in the month of November.

Why?

Because how else are you going to actually finish something?

What kind of lunatic would do this?

Writing 50,000 words in a month is very tough, but it’s a great way to get motivated to sit down and write something. Some people start a completely new project and try to finish it during the month, others use it as a way to work on neglected writing projects. There are no rules as long as you get your 50,000 words done!

Nanowrimo community

https://nanowrimo.org/

There’s a dedicated Nanowrimo website where you can sign up your Nanowrimo project and track your progress during the month. You can also add other people as Nanowrimo buddies so you can spy on them to see how well they’re keeping up. Here’s the link to my profile:

https://nanowrimo.org/participants/enchanted-hat

Post in the thread if you are also doing Nanowrimo this year! I find that it really helps to tell people about it so you can establish that accountability. It may also help to make you totally insufferable if you overdo it, but when it comes to Nanowrimo, you've got to do what it takes.

This year, I'm doing a classic, no-frills, full-neckbeard high fantasy story. What are you guys writing this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I think I need to go with a custom goal again this year. :sigh: I am finally unstuck with a new outline for major revisions on my novel and I should strike while the iron is hot instead of starting another project. That said, I’m excited for it either way! :toot:

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

:toot:

I'll be looking to add 50k words to an ongoing fantasy project this year. Typically I get about two-thirds of the way through a first draft pretty smoothly and then stall out for several months. My hope is that by starting the month with the first ~25% written, NaNoWriMo will give me the momentum to carry on through to the end.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

I'll either be looking to write 50k new words or edit 100k words or both! So let's just say I'm in.

But of course I'm always here for support. Go, writers, go!

Now, do I actually learn Scrivener before starting the project...

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Last tried in 2021 and made it to around 22,000. My personal best, but I'm really hoping to at least crack 25k this year.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

kaom posted:

I think I need to go with a custom goal again this year. :sigh: I am finally unstuck with a new outline for major revisions on my novel and I should strike while the iron is hot instead of starting another project. That said, I’m excited for it either way! :toot:

Staggy posted:

I'll be looking to add 50k words to an ongoing fantasy project this year. Typically I get about two-thirds of the way through a first draft pretty smoothly and then stall out for several months. My hope is that by starting the month with the first ~25% written, NaNoWriMo will give me the momentum to carry on through to the end.

And I hope you both know that I am here and ready to read both of these when they are ready for other eyes!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
I suppose I should try and get as much done on my in-progress fantasy adventure story as I can. I have some scenes drafted already, and an outline sketched out, and more-or-less decided on all the characters. I'm shooting for 1500 words a day, which won't get to 50,000, but would at least be much more productive than I've usually been. I actually surpassed that daily goal last night despite being a useless lump for most of the day.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

I'm debating between continuing work on the sprawling urban fantasy disaster and taking a full break from that to work on a new neckbeardy swords & sorcery fantasy PoS.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

^ I vote disaster now and always.

Picking up the soft sci-fi which I started last year and haven't touched in several months, working title "Doctor Lobster and the Living Tooth."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Totally down for this. My friend suggested it and while I'm not sure I'll write 50,000 words I can at least get started on something.

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008
After spending the entire month of October doing a drawing a day, I think I'll switch gears and spend (most of) the entire month of November writing. Going back to the story I started in NaNo 2011, except actually writing the story this time instead of the prequel bits. Definitely won't hit 50k but any progress is progress. It's a fantasy story with the hook of "girl who can't die meets girl who kills for a living".

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)

Planning on doing this as well, hoping to get 50k words. Working on a Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door fic, set after the events of the original game.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

I've written ~7,000 words for a progression fantasy story I started recently. Going to add too that

The reverse NaNo seems fun, so I'll try that approach

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

This year is going to be more difficult because I won't be able to lean on 5 page sex scenes to hit my word count goals, but I'm optimistic.

My story this year is a twist on a police procedural that explores the link between paramilitary groups and the state, town vs gown dynamics, and production of ideological coherence in the early 2010s.

E Depois do Adeus fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Oct 31, 2023

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Ither posted:

I've written ~7,000 words for a progression fantasy story I started recently. Going to add too that

The reverse NaNo seems fun, so I'll try that approach

nice, I have an outline for a progression fantasy story and a bunch of drawings of locations 8)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I was gonna try writing a serious story about a trans woman's realization that she'd let denial and self-hatred and toxic masculinity nearly destroy her.

Then I realized I am not a skilled enough or practiced enough writer to do justice to themes that heavy.

So I'm going to get stoned tonight and just try to brainstorm something ridiculous and farcical that would be fun to write and fun to read.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Goal is to add words to a draft in progress to hopefully finish it by end of year, mostly outlined outside of stuff that changed while writing the last few chapters since I fixed the outline (mostly minor). So of course my toddler is sick and gave it to me this weekend

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I'm going to aim to complete the first draft of a silly, light fantasy book.

RoeCocoa
Oct 23, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Goal is to add words to a draft in progress to hopefully finish it by end of year, mostly outlined outside of stuff that changed while writing the last few chapters since I fixed the outline (mostly minor). So of course my toddler is sick and gave it to me this weekend

I also got sick this weekend. The viral brain fog will not last forever. Let's do this!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I'm in but I'm going from nothing!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That breaks down to about 1600 words a day, right?

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Bobby Deluxe posted:

That breaks down to about 1600 words a day, right?

Yea, 1,667 words a day

For the reverse:
Day 1: 3346
Day 2: 3216
Day 3: 3101
Day 4: 2986
Day 5: 2872
Day 6: 2757
Day 7: 2642

Day 8: 2527
Day 9: 2412
Day 10: 2298
Day 11: 2183
Day 12: 2068
Day 13: 1953
Day 14: 1838

Day 15: 1724
Day 16: 1609
Day 17: 1494
Day 18: 1379
Day 19: 1264
Day 20: 1150
Day 21: 1035

Day 22: 920
Day 23: 805
Day 24: 690
Day 25: 576
Day 26: 461
Day 27: 346
Day 28: 231

Day 29: 116
Day 30: 1

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I've been working on a fantasy story over the past few months, seems like everyone else is too lol. I don't know if I can keep up though, I'm scared.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I'm going to write a scifi murder mystery :hai:

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I've been working on an epic fantasy for almost exactly a year, and in that time I've produced a very barebones and terrible 50k-word rough draft, 50k+ of the next draft (projected length: 150-200k words), and probably 30k words of test scenes, chapters that don't have a place in the chronology yet, notes, summaries, and outlines. This is not counting redrafting of existing chapters, and I'll note that I lost a couple months to Tears of the Kingdom. I've been on a roll with this project (still obsessed a year in despite my raging ADHD) and I'd like to keep it up or better yet, increase my rate of production.

Last November, I wrote 38k words in that initial draft and I wasn't holding myself to a Nanowrimo goal or anything. This November, I'd like to try to beat that count and produce 50k words worth of wholly new content for this project.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Staggy posted:

Looks like I'll be starting the month with about 27.5k words, bringing me almost to the end of the first act. That's more or less exactly where I was aiming to start and 50k extra words should see me nicely through the tricky second act. I've got pretty extensive scene-by-scene notes which always help keep me on track.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
It is now November in Europe, so Nanowrimo is on! Good luck, everyone!

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
It's a dark and snowy night on Halloween, and I wanna write horror. I brought this up to one of my roommates who's an honest to god real professional writer, and I got back "yeah, I've done that before, nobody reads it unless you want them to". Of course some corner of my mind told me I could just write "all work an no play makes Jack a dull boy" a few hundred times anytime I come to a sticking point, but I've always wanted to do this. I used to take creative writing classes and workshop my stuff, and people made faces and had no idea how to interpret what was basically a "what was David thinking in An American Werewolf in London" short story, so I doubt I'll workshop my stuff again anytime soon, but I really want to just try.

That was 143 words. If I can just write 143 words about my anxiety over writing, I'm sure that there's plenty of people out there that could write something even more cogent with roughly 150, then do that about ten more times a day for November..

Fun to read and fun to write though, that's a tall order lol

e; you know, if it's tomorrow for someone already I see, I might as well get started. I figure I'll type in this word counter thing and see if I can just copy paste 1600 or so a day over to NaNoWriMo.

https://wordcounter.net/

Decedent fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 1, 2023

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Impulsively deciding to jump on this. I've had so much trouble writing since I quit smoking pot, and I've been meaning to discipline myself into making it a daily habit so I don't get so hung up on perfectionism and worrying if I can execute what feels so cool in my head.

I have tonight to mull over whether I want to do my Sci-Fi comedy road novel idea, or my ancient aliens plus cowboys idea.

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Wait I really don't get this, where do I write? I logged in, started a project and it's asking me to make a cover and all this other weird extraneous stuff, where do I just write?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Decedent posted:

Wait I really don't get this, where do I write? I logged in, started a project and it's asking me to make a cover and all this other weird extraneous stuff, where do I just write?

In wherever you normally write. The NaNoWriMo site is just for logging your word counts and to buddy up with other people.

Open up a Google Doc and just go!

I am not doing NaNo this year because I have beta read revisions to do on my sequel to my NaNoWriMo 2021 project that I published but I will be writing along with you all because some of those are gonna be structural which means new words.

Today I started my reread of the manuscript with fresh eyes having been away from it and all fantasy reading for the month of October and...yikes. The opening chapters need a LOT of rehauling.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

You just write in whatever format you choose. I use Google docs, but scrivener is popular, as is regular old Word. Used to be there was a word counter you pasted your manuscript into on the last three days of nano, but I don't think that exists anymore

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Hey thanks guys!
Is it ok if I just make a thread here in Creative Commons? I have this weird thing that used to bother me in school where I'd open a word document and just stare at it, but of some reason stupid text boxes seem more inviting. I mean it probably is so I'm just gonna do it since its gonna put pressure on me to write.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Decedent posted:

Hey thanks guys!
Is it ok if I just make a thread here in Creative Commons? I have this weird thing that used to bother me in school where I'd open a word document and just stare at it, but of some reason stupid text boxes seem more inviting. I mean it probably is so I'm just gonna do it since its gonna put pressure on me to write.

You are much braver than I

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah? I mean I just started writing and didn't hate it, I felt like I could keep it up too. lmk if you don't hate it too! Just don't hold it to a high standard as disclaimer, its no Star Trek erotic fanfic, but it seems to be writing itself for once. Maybe you try it too with the understanding people won't make fun of it later, and at worst/best nobody says anything. Or don't. If nothing else this will help me get every chore in the house completed if I take up avoiding it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm in for my second nano. I did my first in 2010 and despite the fact that the last 5,000 words were the ravings of a madman I did finish.

Last time was action-horror, I'm going to try pulp sci fi this time. Space adventures!

e: that reverse word count looks good. I have ADHD and it will help me make the best of my early excitement before the novelty wears off and the grind sets in

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 1, 2023

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

Decedent posted:

Yeah? I mean I just started writing and didn't hate it, I felt like I could keep it up too. lmk if you don't hate it too! Just don't hold it to a high standard as disclaimer, its no Star Trek erotic fanfic, but it seems to be writing itself for once. Maybe you try it too with the understanding people won't make fun of it later, and at worst/best nobody says anything. Or don't. If nothing else this will help me get every chore in the house completed if I take up avoiding it.

Yeah I dunno I post in thunderdome but I still wouldn't put the kind of raw unfiltered poo poo that comes outta my keyboard during Nano directly in the path of goons. But ymmv there's not a ton of reason why not!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Chernobyl Princess posted:

Yeah I dunno I post in thunderdome but I still wouldn't put the kind of raw unfiltered poo poo that comes outta my keyboard during Nano directly in the path of goons. But ymmv there's not a ton of reason why not!

Yes. If you do NaNo expecting others to see it, you'll slow down to make sure it's written "well."

Nano first drafts are not meant to be great.

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

Surely if I keep writing 50k words at a time, one month per year, however disassociated, I'll eventually finish my book. Back at it again and going for consecutive completion #7. Good luck goonly pals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decedent
Dec 20, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Well that's 1722 words. If I can do that another thirty times, I'll win the race against myself. If I do it just once more, I'll be sure to fix the sink and scrub the bathroom at least lol.