Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

day 18: 4883
total: 65,543

wrote the big climax chapters, so now it's just a couple of denouement chapters left. I still have some scenes and two earlier chapters that i just outlined and glossed over, but it feels good to see it coming together.

and then the dreaded edit shall begin

Waffle! posted:

I'm proud of everyone for participating. Even if you don't finish, that's no reason to stop writing! I'm nowhere close to done, but I had a funny idea on how to wrap up my story and I've made lots of progress compared to last month.

I'm going to end with the last chapter calling back to the first one. One of the antagonists has a change of heart and meets an amazing woman... the werebear from the beginning in her human form. He doesn't know, lol

a werebear with a heart of gold :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 19: 1,224
Total: 19,474

Took a day off yesterday, partly because I needed it and partly because the wife needed the laptop for something else.

I am still discovering the necessary balance of self-motivation between 'you need to sit down and write' and 'don't punish yourself if you don't.' Somewhere along that fine line is a day like today, where it was hard to get started and resist distraction, but I managed it and actually enjoyed it once I got going.

I have also discovered how disasterous letting myself enter edit mode is to production mode.

I am happy where I left off, and am looking forward to picking it up again with tomorrow's fight scene.

Gnossiennes posted:

and then the dreaded edit shall begin
The dreadit!

Feb 2, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have also discovered how disasterous letting myself enter edit mode is to production mode.

I struggle with this as well. The only thing I'm allowing myself to do is alter a single word here and there, in cases where I've used the word again in a following sentence and the second use is better.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Day 19, 34,128 total words. My themes and motifs have fallen by the wayside. Only extraneous dialogue remains. Every sentence seems to start with a character's name. The guy who unintentionally got the gears going on a robbery and a murder got pointlessly beaten up at a bar thus internally absolving him of guilt. A drum circle and an extrajudicial murder are in the immediate future.

Ither posted:

November is halfway over, and I've only written 477 words.

I actually thought I could do it this year :sigh:

how about you write 477 words now? this post is 20 anyway, that'd put you almost at 500.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Day 18: 1977
Day 19: 2215
Total: 40051

Ended up writing a pretty silly over-the-top dream sequence today. Close to the end of the plot of my story now, but still have a lot of parts I kind of just skimmed over, so can elaborate on those.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

I started taking notes on my progress but the daily counts gets fuzzy because I'm a night owl and usually write a bunch after midnight, and then the whole last week and change was kinda miserable for me and some days I didn't write anything and other days I wrote a lot, so finally reporting:

Nov 1-2: 1236
Nov 3-4: 1404
Nov 5: 1800
Nov 6-18: 10,967

For a total of 15,407 words so far, which is way behind where I wanted to be. Buuuut I'm taking all of Thanksgiving week off which means I'll have some time to sit down and write while also not fretting about work, which will be nice. So hopefully I'll be able to catch up and maybe actually hit 50k or at least beat what I managed last November (38k towards the previous draft of what I'm currently working on).

The words I'm writing are pretty drat shoddy and I think most it will need to be wholly rewritten before I share it with anyone, but the huge upside of forcing out words regardless of quality is that it means I'm forging ahead into some new areas of the story that I hadn't written in before and getting closer to some of the scenes that have been bouncing around in my head for quite a while now.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 19: 6232 words
total: 71, 775

instead of finishing glossed over chapters, I went back and redid much of the intro. It's now certifiably svelte, but a lot less boring. there are some things I might add back in later, but it's kind of fun to re-write something when you don't have to worry too much about figuring out plot beats.

still, i kicked out a bunch of material, but hey, words is words.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have written well over 1,000 words today. Unfortunately all of them were forum posts and not part of the novel. :doh:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I have written well over 1,000 words today. Unfortunately all of them were forum posts and not part of the novel. :doh:

Just copy paste them into your book.

Hiro Protagonist logged onto the something awful forums. "<copy paste here>", he typed.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 20: 1,050
Total: 20,524

I enjoyed writing today, and despite two fail days am still on track for my mini target! I have decided (though will probably not keep updating the thread) that I am going to try and keep writing 1k a day over december as well, the idea being to end up with about 60k over 2 months.

I may even *gasp* do a bit more later. Today was a good day.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I enjoyed writing today, and despite two fail days am still on track for my mini target! I have decided (though will probably not keep updating the thread) that I am going to try and keep writing 1k a day over december as well, the idea being to end up with about 60k over 2 months.

Hello here I am. Didn't know this thread was here. I see Tarnop also suggested copying and pasting your words into your nano doc.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I've got an excel spreadsheet for characters and wordcount, you'd be proud of me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I've got an excel spreadsheet for characters and wordcount, you'd be proud of me.

Very proud :)
I'm just pantsing, stream of consciousness, it's a load of rubbish but I needed to force myself to do something. I have written 3-4 novels before over the past 12 years during nano. Most All of them crap but hey who cares! No one reads them but me. It's just a personal challenge.

22000 words end of 20th Nov. 28000 to go and 9 days to do it (writing off one day when I go back to work next week).
Btw I just use the Word wordcount. At the end when they have the formal wordcount thing I'll type as many extra as I need if any.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 21, 2023

SomeKindofVerb
Jan 12, 2010
Oh I also didn't know this thread was here! I am a chronic lurker, but I am happy to briefly crawl out of the dank crevice I hide in to tell everyone I'm incredibly pleased to read all these progress reports. Hearing about all your trials and tribulations makes me proud that we are all in it together, and I'm sure I would be grateful for even half of any of your talents. Hang in there, everyone! You're doing great.

Day 20: 33,361 :)

Feb 2, 2005

Bobby Deluxe posted:

We have identical goals! Let's keep rocking into December, writing buddy.

I'm realizing that I gave my protagonist a strange power in the first few paragraphs of the story and then haven't let her use it again for 20,000 words. Sort of a pacing problem, though in my defense in that same time she did get kicked out of art school, learned that her brother died, got evicted from the dorms, and got caught in a lie that's made her best friend decide to distance herself. Busy gal! I'll hammer it out in a few months when it comes time to edit.

Day 20: 1,423
Total: 21,569

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 20: 3306 words
total: 75,081 words

I'm editing and rewriting a bunch of stuff now, and it's flowing a lot better in my opinion and more interestingly, but it's been kinda rough watching the actual manuscript word count go down so drastically (<50k now lol) as i boot out material that just didn't quite fit any more. it's for the best, but still, oof. but now i have more room to put in scenes that fill out their personalities better and stuff, and more importantly, i have a much better grasp on their personalities now.

gotta give more props to scrivener, too; the interface is great for doing this kind of thing. i just wish the split-screen editor let me put more than two documents up at once.

fake edit: i just looked it up, and if you right click on a scene or whatever, you can go to open -> in copyholder, and it basically does just that.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Gnossiennes posted:

and more importantly, i have a much better grasp on their personalities now.
My characters have changed so much I'm kind of assuming that by the end of the book I will have found out who they are, to enough of an extent that I can then go back and rewrite the previous scenes in editing mode.

Scrivener sounds interesting.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Scrivener's one of the reasons I went for nano this year despite being time-poor! Tried loading my old scrivener (talking 2014 here) onto my new laptop but it wasn't having any. At least with nano you get a big discount (20% off) if you buy it!
I used to use it for all sorts of things not just writing books!

Done 3000 words this morning so just hit 25k - half way there (livin' on a prayer).

Words are flowing faster today than they have been the past few days (decided to use writing prompts as I ran out of things to say) so I might see if I can do another 3k later.

Finished for today on 27k. So did 5k. Was seriously running out of steam for the last 1000 even with prompts.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Nov 22, 2023

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 21: 1,148
Total: 21,672

Almost didn't write today. But did. And enjoyed it. 2nd half of a fight in an alleyway. Tomorrow, torture!

Wish I could have kept going, but my hands are knacking after housework. Still proud of what I managed.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Trains to lift up and protect her friends... and maybe to pick them up and carry them when they are tired :)
Day 20 - 1418
Day 21 - 1971
total: 43440

Been finding that it's been harder to find places to write new scenes in my current story, since I've exhausted most of the ideas in my head for it. Definitely going to be having to delete a few parts of it in editing. May try working more on another story if it continues being hard to add scenes. Still feeling confident that I'll make my 50k goal regardless.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 21: 5396 words
total: 80,477 words

deep in the re-write weeds now. i thought i'd end up re-using paragraphs a lot, but half the time i just have to rewrite them entirely. it's amazing how many goddamn dependencies pop up.

Feb 2, 2005
Today: 1,726
Total: 22,993

Maddeningly close to 23k but I just feel completely drained of words today. I have yet to hit my 2k goal any day this week, which will throw off my entire project calculation if I don't gain some ground.

Focusing on the fact that I'm maintaining the habit. I'm still very happy and even more surprised that I'm still here.

EDIT: Went back to the well and ended with 2155 for the day. Also, Novlr's Project word count doesn't always update immediately so my total was wrong before. I'm sitting at 25,060 right now.

Quote fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Nov 23, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Total so far 30055 so I have done 3055 today.

Need to push to do 4000 tomorrow through to Sunday but I'm out tomorrow evening so might not get that many done, so will only really get 2 days next week to clock up any extras.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 22: 1,293
Total: 22,965

Fuuun fun fun fun! Normally I hate leaving it late to start but I really had fun, I wish my hands weren't hosed and I could keep going.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 22: 4377 words
total: 84,854 words

feeling very tired :negative:
i'm resistant about it, but i might skip tomorrow just to give myself some space from it. it's hard to judge what's good and what isn't right now, and i think if i step back a little and take some time away from it, it'll become clearer.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Day 22: 1,293
Total: 22,965

Fuuun fun fun fun! Normally I hate leaving it late to start but I really had fun, I wish my hands weren't hosed and I could keep going.

As we mentioned Scrivener a couple of days ago, I just checked the offer. Just being in nano you can get 20% off, but if you manage the 50k words & be an official Winner, you can get 50% off (this won't appear until you are an official winner so at the end). It's $59.99 normally so $30 is a hefty discount in real money terms.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

That would be cool, but I don't think there's any chance of me personally making the 50k in one month goal. In previous years I've let that put me off doing it entirely, so this year I've set myself the lesser 1k a day target to try and make 60k in 2 months.

I would love to be able to do more (yesterday for instance), but executive functioning issues, RSI injury and autistic burnout are a wicked combo that means I need to be a bit more careful about how I approach it if I want to do it at a sustainable pace.

Speaking of:

Day 23: 978
Total: 23,943

So close! Again though, I feel like I left it at a point I'll be happy to continue from tomorrow. And I'm still over par on my own target.

Got to describe a pretty gross cultist transformation into a demonic monstrosity though, which was fun.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 23, 2023

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

End of today 33000. Theoretically I could crank out another 2-3k tonight but I'm too devoid of imagination.

17000 to go - just under 3000 per day (excluding Monday when I will be shattered out after a day back at work on about 2 hours sleep).

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 23: 3893 words
total: 88,747 words

totally told myself i'd step back for a day, which lasted about half a day.
then i booted out a good 1000 words of what i wrote yesterday lol.

Feb 2, 2005
Turns out, for me, the NO in Nano stands for NOVEL CORONA VIRUS. Couldn't even lift my head off a pillow yesterday --breaking my streak. Feels loving awful.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I haven't updated for a while, and it's been hard going mental health wise. I'm thinking of adopting something like Bobby's plan: I'll aim for 30k this month and then go for the remaining 20k next month.

Day 23 (yesterday): 21,124

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I have not had a good day for an entirely stupid reason but am hoping I'll climb back on the horse tomorrow.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Now at 37k (as of close of 24/11). 13k to go.

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Day 22: 1622
Day 23: 1724
Day 24: 1544
total: 48330

While the pace has been a bit slower than earlier, due to having less ideas, as well as being slightly distracted by steam sale games, I should be on track to finish tomorrow! I continued my work on another fic throughout the last few days, and been slowly adding to the initial one as well.

GarbiTheGlitchress fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Nov 25, 2023

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

day 24: 4386 words
total: 93,133 words

just have a couple more chapters to rewrite before i reach the climax chapters again.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

When planning the outline I forgot it was 3rd person limited POV so my climax is reduced to two paragraphs where the MC realizes what happened and has a minor breakdown. Now it's time to write the twin falling actions that actually inspired the book.

My laptop is out of battery but I think I'm a little shy of 43,000. Have a decent chance at finishing tomorrow

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Finishing up today on 42000 words so having started on 15th, finally went over the total target for someone who did it perfectly from day 1 (which would be 41667).

Hoping to crank out another 5k tomorrow so I will only have 3k to do next Tuesday.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
:toot: :toot: :toot: Just crossed 50,000! :toot: :toot: :toot:

The story is still not done, there is quite a lot of plot left, but now I will take it easy and probably finish this draft sometime in December. Now let's see some more nanowrimo winners!

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Day 24: 0
Day 25: 1,410
Total: 25,353

Still over par (under par? Whatever the good one is).

The bad days are mostly sprung by not starting early, so I am going to have to be more vigilant about that. Almost gave up at about 900ish words, but had a cup of hot chocolate which seemed to do wonders.

Ended the writing session after having managed to fit some owlbear erotica in there. And I am at least 70% certain nobody else has had to resort to that this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GarbiTheGlitchress
May 14, 2012

Day 25: 1682

Total: 50012!

Met my goal today! Started working on a new fanfic, about Gitaroo Man. Think I'll still try to at least get 1000 words a day, but also work on editing more.