Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

It's time again for Iron Chef Something Awful!

That means it's cooking competition time, and this time I'm in charge! I'll probably be doing one of these every other month, depending on how this one works out, with maybe one extra around Christmas to switch us onto the better months. Everyone likes October, nobody likes November.

The competition will run from March 1st to March 31st, and judging will happen the first week of April.

The theme of this first one is... Drumroll please...

Vegan Dumplings!
I love dumplings. They're the perfect thing to make hundred of at once and then keep in the freezer, but there's so few good vegan recipes out there. So I'm reaching out to the goon-mind. Make me some vegan dumplings. Make yourself some vegan dumplings. Fill your freezer and live like goons royalty!

Any kind of dumplings are good. Bao, gyoza, perogi. Momos, har gow (without the shrimp), siu mai (without the pork). Knock yourself out! I want a vegan filling encased in some sort of flour-based cocoon. You should have dips, too! Dumplings are no good without dips!

Not UK dumplings, I see you over there, get outta here. :arghfist: Those are delicious, but not what I want. Unless you wrapped them in dumpling wrappers I guess?

Hmm...

Anyway. You don't have to make your own wrappers, but I would recommend you at try at least once, as they're extremely cheap and easy to make! Bao dough is also very easy, once you stop being scared of yeast.

Your dumplings can be sweet or savoury, they can be boiled or fried or steamed, or all of those at once! Go wild!

No animal products. No cheese, no eggs. If you're unsure if something is vegan, ask!

But am I allowed to enter?
Of course! Why not? It doesn't matter if you've won one before, or you've never cooked in your life.
Post your entry as a separate thread within GWS. Each entry gets it's own thread, no hijacking, then post a link to your thread here.

When can I enter?
Any time up until the end of March, even if it's the 30th.

How do I enter??? This is all very complicated
Make a new thread in GWS and post your creation there, then link it here. I want ingredients, I want pictures, I want the whole step by step process and a note from your therapist about how you broke down in the middle of making two hundred dumpling wrappers, because you got one hundred and sixty in and discovered they'd glued themselves together.
Ok skip the last one, but be detailed, and have fun!

The prizes will be:
$20 for the winner
$10 for second place
$10 for third place.

Judging will be done by an audience of your peers (goons) in a separate thread during the first week of April.

Ok, ready... Set... Go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

This post is reserved for an entry list.

TychoCelchuuu: Behold, my momos.
Grandicap: Judge my Knish!
Kumba: Dumplings for Dessert!
Ulillinguist: Crystal 'egg' Dim Sum
TheCog: A Trio of Dumplings

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Apr 1, 2024

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Is it Asian dumplings only? Or I could throw together a mushroom kreplach?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Go for it! I just used the first dim sum pic on google because there's a lot of variety there, those look good!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 29, 2024

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'll try and do something, maybe; I just accepted a full-time position with my employer and since it requires a lot of travel I might not have time. I always like trying these, though.

Also, make sure to get the thread stickied!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Wow, this is a lot. I’m excited to see what other people do, I may try to make dumplings for the first time ever, I will see if inspiration strikes me

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

You should, they're super easy!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I've made bao once before, gotta relook up what I did, and change the filling. Or maybe do something else. See what mood strikes me.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I should give this a shot, I've been making dumplings for a bit now as an easy wfh lunch.

Might try eggplant and see if I can get something like fish-fragrant eggplant. Vinegar and chilli are both pretty common dipping sauces so its kinda close. Plus eggplants are super cheap right now. Getting the moisture right will be a challenge though.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Excellent theme! I'll definitely try to enter. I won't make samosas, since I've made them too many times before, but would samosas count as dumplings? What makes a dumpling a dumpling?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Excellent theme! I'll definitely try to enter. I won't make samosas, since I've made them too many times before, but would samosas count as dumplings? What makes a dumpling a dumpling?
Filling wrapped in a flour based cocoon per the OP. Looks like cooking method is up to the cookist.

If you’ve done fried samosa, I’d say challenge yourself to see if you can do a version that isn’t so much faff. The amount of oil and how slow you gotta go to make a batch of samosa is wild to me.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I made air-fried singaras (which are just samosas, although I find lots of people online protesting otherwise) and they worked fine. There is nothing left for me to conquer in samosaville. I think I'll probably make momos for this ICSA, which I haven't made before because most typical momos are pretty boring as far as I can tell. I'll have to figure out how to spice them up.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Samosas are on the edge I feel, but can also be frozen and eaten for lunch, so sure. Why not.

I keep meaning to make some for the freezer. I bought some spring roll wrappers and everything to motivate myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Is it even worth getting stickied? GWS moves so slowly anyway. I do want in the monthly roundup though.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Mar 1, 2024

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Nettle Soup posted:

Samosas are on the edge I feel, but can also be frozen and eaten for lunch, so sure. Why not.

I keep meaning to make some for the freezer. I bought some spring roll wrappers and everything to motivate myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Is it even worth getting stickied? GWS moves so slowly anyway. I do want in the monthly roundup though.

Throw a link in the chat thread. It'll get more eyeballs on it. No need to sticky. Most of us access SA directly through our bookmarks, and never see the main pages.

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme
I am extremely into this!

I love dim sum and went vegan this year. I'm very excited to see what everyone does with this theme.

I've made home made gyoza wrappers from scratch before and I remember it being an easy, but very time consuming process.

I have never made bao buns and I haven't worked with yeast since junior high home ec class.

Nettle Soup posted:

Bao dough is also very easy, stop being scared of yeast.

:ohdear: scared

Well, I guess I'm pulling the trigger on the new bamboo steamer I've been eyeing up.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

dino. posted:

Throw a link in the chat thread. It'll get more eyeballs on it. No need to sticky. Most of us access SA directly through our bookmarks, and never see the main pages.

If you want to get wider participation, you can ask a mod for a sticky and to rotate the thread, but vegan dumplings may be a bit of an intimidating theme for new people…

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah I think we're good for now.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Thread stuck and I asked Prag to put it in the next round up, though that won't be for a little bit as she's traveling.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ulillinguist posted:

I have never made bao buns and I haven't worked with yeast since junior high home ec class.

:ohdear: scared

I’d think bao are going to be quite a bit easier. You don’t really need to roll it out, just kinda shape the bun around the filling. I’ve made them before and I remember them being super easy, I feel like when you try to make thin stuff is when wheat doughs get difficult.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My zucchini icsa entry had vegan dumplings, I should just make that again.

I’ll try and make an entry, it I’m not going to promise to do everything for one meal. Possibly two dumplings for a dinner then dessert separately.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Eeyo posted:

everything for one meal

Wait, wait, wait. Is the expectation a whole menu of dumplings, or just one dish? I normally do a big dinner party, but I think “vegan dumplings” is a bit limiting for having friends round…

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Scientastic posted:

Wait, wait, wait. Is the expectation a whole menu of dumplings, or just one dish? I normally do a big dinner party, but I think “vegan dumplings” is a bit limiting for having friends round…

There is also a request that you make dips - but the rules only state that the dumplings have to be vegan. So cheese and meat based dips! 'Nduja, beer cheese, etc. :unsmigghh:

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

dino. posted:

mmmm samosa chaat.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
If someone loves graphic design, the admins are usually cool enough to let ICSA have a free banner ad or two.

quote:

150kB max, exactly 468x60px
Allowed types: GIF, PNG, JPG

are the dimensions etc. for banner ads and they must be SFW.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Scientastic posted:

IDK, I thought it’s usually like 3 dishes in the theme, one being a dessert. Like that’s how the zucchini one was but that’s the only one I ever did.

But I think I did some of them separately since it’s hard for me to make more than like 2 foods at once. I’m bad at multitasking.

OTOH I feel like there’s value in just doing whatever too? Like can’t make it too hard but IDK where that line is.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

There is also a request that you make dips - but the rules only state that the dumplings have to be vegan. So cheese and meat based dips! 'Nduja, beer cheese, etc. :unsmigghh:
:frogout:

You don't have to do a whole menu. One meal is fine, but if you wanna do more go ahead.

Also you could totally do a whole menu of vegan dumplings for a dinner party, it'd be fun, make it a buffet, get people to fill their own dumplings, I have never been to a dinner party.

Challenge yourself, don't just make stuff you make all the time!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Here are some extremely low-effort banners.

I think the second one might be too annoying. Can anyone do better?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I love all of them.

Griddle of Love
May 14, 2020

Nettle Soup posted:

It needs something going across from right to left in the background in addition to the flashing.

EDIT: I think the third one will actually farm the most clicks.

Griddle of Love fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Mar 10, 2024

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I'm going to try to make some dumplings and see if I can think of anything for this.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
I have bought dumpling wrappers. Scoped out recipes. Acquired mushrooms...

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

Nettle Soup posted:

I think the second one might be too annoying. Can anyone do better?

I'm not able to make banners. I like the wording of the second one you made, but maybe there is a way to slow down the flashing or add a black background so its a bit easier to read?

I bought a bamboo steamer and ingredients for glass dim sum wrappers.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Posting to remind myself to enter. I have made very few dumplings in my life and this is giving me a reason to try again!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

I am planning to make mine on Sunday, hopefully post up Monday!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

:woop:

Edit:

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Mar 12, 2024

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

vegan beef wellington

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I mean, have you seen the main vegan beef Wellington recipe? That thing takes a week to make and has a million different cooking techniques involved. If you make multiple of those I'd be impressed.

I'm also making an executive decision to call it not a dumpling, go make some real dumplings!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

how small does the flour based cocoon have to be then

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

or wait is this under the "no uk dumplings" rule

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cactus Ghost posted:

or wait is this under the "no uk dumplings" rule

UK dumpling, the best dumplings, are made of suet but have nothing inside them which I guess makes them not count.

I think it's also fair to say a pie is not a dumpling, but a pierogi is? It's vibes mostly.