Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jonny Retro posted:

Well, this just made my day. :)

I do think it's neat that EA is being so cool with them. It just seems so out of character for them.

I was just thinking this. Perhaps Wasteland 2 will be Origin only :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Convex posted:

I was just thinking this. Perhaps Wasteland 2 will be Origin only :(

It won't. This has been multiply confirmed. Read the material provided.

PSI-5
Aug 21, 2007

The servolator is fried.
Quarex and RB, those photos are joyous. Made my day.

Quarex posted:

I think PSI-5 is going to win the award for Wasteland 2 Goons shirt style photos.
It's not me, it's the replica Burgundian medieval tent behind me.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Man, I hope they build in some sort of utility that makes Wasteland 1 run smoother. I mean, you pretty much have to reinstall the game to start over.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

YourAverageJoe posted:

This only means the other shoe hasn't dropped yet :ohdear:

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Awesome. I can't help but wonder how Quarex will react to this news :allears:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Hopefully it will include the game manual, or the story text from the manual gets programmed into the game.

I never got the chance to play Wasteland, how much of the plot was contained in the game manual compared to in the game itself?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

draper13 posted:

Hopefully it will include the game manual, or the story text from the manual gets programmed into the game.

I never got the chance to play Wasteland, how much of the plot was contained in the game manual compared to in the game itself?

If they're just emulating the executable it probably won't contain the manual text.

The most important thing about the game manual (the paragraphs) is the clues and passwords that you'll need to advance, plus you'll get so much more out of the flavor of the game by reading it. The game itself doesn't have a whole lot of text. Plus the paragraph book has fake entries and a whole other storyline.

Here's a nice interface that I put together with the help of some other goons if you plan on playing the game (or if you just want to read through it)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/74505464/wl_paragraphs_v2.html

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

It would be interesting if they came out with a "HD" version of Wasteland 1. Upgrade the resolution to at least 640, incorporate the paragraph text into the game, maybe do some vector redos of the portraits, etc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Incorporating the text actually doesn't look too hard, provided the game doesn't choke when game1/game2 go above a certain size or something. I may have a crack at it later today and see what happens.

Can someone with more Wasteland experience recommend the fastest way, from the start of the game, to get to a point where it tells you to read paragraph N?

e: for those interested, it's the Wasteland Suite tools I'm using, and the files containing the text are game1 and game2.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

ToxicFrog posted:

Incorporating the text actually doesn't look too hard, provided the game doesn't choke when game1/game2 go above a certain size or something. I may have a crack at it later today and see what happens.

Can someone with more Wasteland experience recommend the fastest way, from the start of the game, to get to a point where it tells you to read paragraph N?

e: for those interested, it's the Wasteland Suite tools I'm using, and the files containing the text are game1 and game2.

Either step into Highpool or Gaurdian Citadel and I believe you should see a paragraph entry right away.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

YourAverageJoe posted:

I wasn't really being serious with this, sorry.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!
Brian has come out and said - Don't be worried about Origin.

https://twitter.com/BrianFargo/status/222779467674828801

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Young Freud posted:

Man, I hope they build in some sort of utility that makes Wasteland 1 run smoother. I mean, you pretty much have to reinstall the game to start over.

Copy the save files to different folders? I mean old DOS games were a bitch when you had to swap disks but you can play them now in DOSBox with the A: folder open and your backups' folder to swap stuff around in an instant. Should work for Wasteland (haven't tried it though).

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
It seems unlikely that they will DO anything to the game--Brian Fargo obviously had a hard enough time just getting them to agree to let him bundle the game with Wasteland 2. BUT it would be pretty dumb if they did not either include the original ability to reset the game or include the fan reset program, because nobody would know what the hell was going on in this day and age with a game that you could only start from the beginning once.

(except for that one Flash game I suppose)

Urdnot Fire posted:

Awesome. I can't help but wonder how Quarex will react to this news :allears:
I will react very positively.

WOOOOOOOOOOO!

It will be grand to finally own more than two legal copies of Wasteland. Without being worried about drying up the legal supply for everyone else.

Oh, so beautiful to imagine ... tens or hundreds of thousands of legal copies of Wasteland will be in circulation again soon!!!

This is all super-awesome news. Electronic Arts is apparently trying to rebuild their corporate image through continuing their decades-long good relationship with Wasteland fans.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Quarex posted:

This is all super-awesome news. Electronic Arts is apparently trying to rebuild their corporate image through continuing their decades-long good relationship with Wasteland fans.
One fan at a time, the most efficient advertising method there is.

So, now that the last of the shirts have been processed and sent out, how many of you would be interested in a Desert Rangers belt buckle?

I was going to get just one made and send it to Quarex, but the cost is prohibitive on just one being made. If I can get 13 of you to pay me the $20 plus $5 S&H up front, we can do this thing.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

RagingBoner posted:

I was going to get just one made and send it to Quarex, but the cost is prohibitive on just one being made. If I can get 13 of you to pay me the $20 plus $5 S&H up front, we can do this thing.

Oh goddamit, not another Wasteland product to waste spend money on :suicide: Is it for US citizens only, or can us dirty foreigners join in the fun?

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

CommissarMega posted:

Oh goddamit, not another Wasteland product to waste spend money on :suicide: Is it for US citizens only, or can us dirty foreigners join in the fun?

Sending large gobs of metal in an envelope overseas might be a pain... I might have to use a box, which is a little more expensive. If I don't get enough willing participants in the US, then yes, I'll do international goons.

Be warned, this is really really geeky. Much more so than the shirt.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I'll fill a spot if there aren't enough others. Hell, this might be less embarrassing than a shirt with poo poo like "RagingBoner" on it anyways :v:

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
I'm dumb and have horrible impulse control, sign me up for a belt buckle.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades
I purchased 10 acres of land in which to make an actual wasteland, so if 10 goons send me each a million dollars, we can just go play Wasteland outside until we die of dysentery.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

AxeManiac posted:

I purchased 10 acres of land in which to make an actual wasteland, so if 10 goons send me each a million dollars, we can just go play Wasteland outside until we die of dysentery.

Is your PayPal still the same?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Why do I get the impression that the Wasteland 2 KickStarter was just a thing that RagingBoner and Brian Fargo set up so they could get rich selling merchandise to Goons?

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Raging boner you bastard, of course I will pay a reasonable amount of money on a belt buckle, why do you love my money so much?!

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil
I have one unclaimed large to sell still. Anyone still interested in a shirt?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RagingBoner posted:

Mine hasn't arrived :smith:

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Mine hasn't arrived :smith:

Well that's because I'm a retard and marked your shirt as sent when it wasn't, and only just mailed it today.

I was going to send you an email about it, but my public shaming is well deserved.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

RagingBoner posted:

Well that's because I'm a retard and marked your shirt as sent when it wasn't, and only just mailed it today.

I was going to send you an email about it, but my public shaming is well deserved.

It's no big deal, just happy for it to be sent :)

Thank you!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I am so excited that you found another new ridiculous-yet-awesome plan, R'Bon. I admit I have never even had a belt that requires a separate buckle ... well, wait, never mind, I did, but that was for a kilt, so it does not count.

When do we Kickstart AxeManiac's Real-Life-Wasteland?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RagingBoner posted:

I think I can fit in to a large if it's not claimed yet/wasn't MrL's shirt. Can PM me regarding payment (and I need to make sure my Paypal account I haven't touched in a year still works).

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Are there any good LP's of the original Wasteland? I've done some research and looked at some video but I still have no idea what the hell is going on in the game. I've already dropped 30$ on the kickstarter but I wanna know what the game's going to be based on. I don't rally get why the original has such rave reviews because it looks completely mediocre from what I've seen but I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. :)

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Well, THE BEST Wasteland LP is currently in progress, right Quarex?

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!

VaultAggie posted:

Are there any good LP's of the original Wasteland?

Yep: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

I'll go ahead and give the consensus of this LP:

He does a good job setting things up, and knows what he is doing. But he spends gobs of time talking about his characters, and it borders on being kinda creepy.

No one else interested in a belt buckle? I'm not surprised, really.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I thought Quarex was going to be doing an LP. What happened to that?

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

RagingBoner posted:

No one else interested in a belt buckle? I'm not surprised, really.

I'm interested, but being in the UK, I think the postage cost kills any chance of me getting it. Sorry.

RagingBoner
Jan 10, 2006

Real Wood Pencil

Zaii posted:

I'm interested, but being in the UK, I think the postage cost kills any chance of me getting it. Sorry.

It'll probably be around $10-12 to ship to the UK. I don't know why it's so much more expensive to ship there than anywhere else in the world.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

He did do it. It is us. We were the LP all along.

Edit: RB and Zaii, your two avatars are hilarious together.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
That is right, Jonny Retro. The magic was in your own heart all along. Wasteland never existed: it was just a manifestation of the goodness of the human spirit.

VaultAggie, it is no surprise that the game would look mediocre since PC gaming technology looked primitive even at the time, let alone with 25 years' hindsight ... but fortunately it made up for it by being basically the first game to do a lot of things (modern/near-future RPG, persistent world with changes via story, gritty/violent/"mature" theme), basically all of which were improved on over the years admittedly. But it still stands up, particularly if you have someone to play it for you!

Urdnot Fire posted:

Well, THE BEST Wasteland LP is currently in progress, right Quarex?

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

:shobon:

I have put several hours into the first post and also played the game for several hours as well. I was going to create my triumphant beginning post when my life (typically) exploded. I admit that I tend to use my hour or two of free time every day for the forums and The Secret World because I am a bad person. But I was just playing around with Wasteland again today. You can even see the shattered remnants of my effort in the Let's Play Sandcastle thread if you like, when the people critiquing me were like "well, that is a nice opening post, except you did not actually, you know, get to the game in it."

Just today one of my real-life Goon friends (who reads this thread, I know you are reading this) was like "hey, I have been reading a lot of Let's Plays lately! Funny, I cannot seem to find a Wasteland Let's Play anywhere, do you know anything about that?"

Also something hilarious is going on behind the scenes that I cannot talk about yet. How is that for a teaser? It is not as exciting as being invited to the Wasteland 2 release party, though, to be fair.

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Jul 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Quarex posted:

When do we Kickstart AxeManiac's Real-Life-Wasteland?

Anyone got a truck so we can go steal a few barrels from a nuclear waste dump? Obviously we need to slather that poo poo all over Axemaniacs land to get the authentic Wasteland experience.

Or we could just put up a goon project to build a nuclear bomb for even more authenticity.

• Locked thread