Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
When I right click on a large image file (200mb-2gb tiffs) it can take up to 20sec for the pop up menu to appear in windows explorer (win7). The files are on the network over 1G. I can't figure out whats causing it. I have thumbnails turned off. Left clicking on them does not cause any hourglass delays, only right click.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Go to where the physical hard drives are, and do the same operation.

If during the 20second to pop up you hear the hard drives spinning up, it's because the heads were parked and there may be some aggressive power saving going on.

20seconds is a_lot though, so it is possible it could be something else (e.g. a program in your right click that is trying to ascertain file details).

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
Sounds like you might have a shell extension that's trying to do something with the file, that loads in the context menu. Use Autoruns to poke around and see what third party extensions are running.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Shaocaholica posted:

When I right click on a large image file (200mb-2gb tiffs) it can take up to 20sec for the pop up menu to appear in windows explorer (win7). The files are on the network over 1G. I can't figure out whats causing it. I have thumbnails turned off. Left clicking on them does not cause any hourglass delays, only right click.

I think Steakandchips is correct. They probably have the drives spinning down when they are idle.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Factor Mystic posted:

Sounds like you might have a shell extension that's trying to do something with the file, that loads in the context menu. Use Autoruns to poke around and see what third party extensions are running.
This is my bet too. If it were hard drives spinning up, it would happen with all files. And frankly, what kind of file servers or NAS would power down its hard drives?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Does anyone have any tips on making network drives maintain a connection? I have one setup on my WHS box that disconnects randomly, causing various automatic things to fail. I know UNC paths are vastly preferable, but I'd rather stick with the mapped drive for now.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

EC posted:

Does anyone have any tips on making network drives maintain a connection? I have one setup on my WHS box that disconnects randomly, causing various automatic things to fail. I know UNC paths are vastly preferable, but I'd rather stick with the mapped drive for now.

Check the NIC settings and make sure power save mode is disabled. That poo poo will turn the NIC off.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

GreenNight posted:

Check the NIC settings and make sure power save mode is disabled. That poo poo will turn the NIC off.

I don't think it's that (the NIC is constantly being used by the OS via SAB), but I disabled it anyway just now. Maybe that will fix it!

Edit: this actually seems way better: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/297684

quote:

Command Line

NOTE: If you use this method, you may turn off the autotuning feature for the Server service.

To change the default time-out period for the autodisconnect feature of the Server service, open a command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER
net config server /autodisconnect:number
where number is the number of minutes that you want the server to wait before it disconnects a mapped network drive. The maximum value for this command is 65,535.

NOTE: If you set the autodisconnect value to 0 (zero), the autodisconnect feature is not turned off, and the Server service disconnects mapped network drives after only a few seconds of idle time.

To turn off the autodisconnect feature, open a command prompt, type the following line, and then press ENTER:
net config server /autodisconnect:-1

EC fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 28, 2012

jvgrant
Sep 20, 2012

I tried that. The ghost drives disappeared, but when I restarted my computer they showed up again. Grr... this is frustrating. Anymore ideas?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

Is there a method to either 1) keep programs from installing icons onto the Public Desktop, or 2) give blanket permission to delete icons from the Public Desktop? It seems obnoxious to require an Admin password just to delete shortcuts.
Assuming you're on Windows 7, go into C:\Users\Public\ and grant Everyone full rights to the Public Desktop folder. That'll allow anyone to delete those kinds of shortcuts regardless of rights.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Has anyone here using Synergy run into the bug where it prevents the screensaver from starting and found a way around it?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
TWo utility program questions:

1. I need some good personal organization software. Something that lets me keep track of a todo list, calender, etc... I'd prefer one that isn't super intrusive, and doesn't take up a ton of computer resources. I remember Rainlendar being the best one when I used it like 5 years ago. Does it still hold that title or are there better ones?

2. I haven't kept up with torrent programs in years, but I've heard utorrent has gotten pretty bloaty/awful these days. What is the new favorite?

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Megasabin posted:

2. I haven't kept up with torrent programs in years, but I've heard utorrent has gotten pretty bloaty/awful these days. What is the new favorite?

uTorrent 2.2 Build 23071 is what I'm running and it's pretty nice, best build before they started adding bloated bullshit.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Megasabin posted:

1. I need some good personal organization software. Something that lets me keep track of a todo list, calender, etc... I'd prefer one that isn't super intrusive, and doesn't take up a ton of computer resources. I remember Rainlendar being the best one when I used it like 5 years ago. Does it still hold that title or are there better ones?

1. I use an app called Efficient Reminder Free Edition for making simple recurring todos. It's pretty much a little Outlook clone, looks a bit outdated I guess, but works flawlessly. I don't use it as a calendar, but it has one with a decent set of features.

2. uTorrent still works perfectly for me, in spite of the new weird crap they put in.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Read posted:

uTorrent 2.2 Build 23071 is what I'm running and it's pretty nice, best build before they started adding bloated bullshit.

All that bloat that you never have to see or think about and that hasn't put the program's size over the 1MB mark.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Megasabin posted:

There's been some feature creep for utorrent, but it still runs using only 32MB of memory.

edit: ^^^ I didn't even know you could hide that stuff. Thanks. (Right click the offending bits and click "Hide blahblah")

Mr. Fix It fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Sep 30, 2012

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Yeah, the 'bloat' concerns are a bit overstated. However, they announced a month ago that future versions will have ads, so DEFINITELY don't upgrade blindly.

I'm still on uTorrent myself, but I do intend to check out Tixati at some point in the near future. I'm told it's got every number-crunchy and spergy management feature one may want, and nothing more.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 30, 2012

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Read posted:

This is what I'm using. No reason to upgrade something that works perfectly.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Megasabin posted:

I don't know if http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ will do enough for you, but I use it for todo, monthly bills, generally reminders, etc. and I really like it.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

tk posted:

I don't know if http://www.rememberthemilk.com/ will do enough for you, but I use it for todo, monthly bills, generally reminders, etc. and I really like it.

RTM has a really killer iPhone app. Pretty solid before the big recent update, super great after it. Would pay if they made me, I'm still not sure what upgrading to subscription would grant me that they didn't give me already in free.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

NihilCredo posted:

Yeah, the 'bloat' concerns are a bit overstated. However, they announced a month ago that future versions will have ads, so DEFINITELY don't upgrade blindly.
After a lot of criticism they also announced three days later that the "sponsored torrents" bar will be optional as well, just like all the other crap they added since 2.x. Well, at least in the first version that will have it, they're apparently not promising anything else.

Here's a source.

So it might not be a real problem, but we'll have to see.

There's some more in there about probably dropping the apps function and maybe releasing a slimmed down version; just read the blogpost.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm liking Deluge as my new lightweight Torrent client. Might not suit everyone's tastes, but it does everything I need it for.

Question: Is there any way to make UAC ignore Java updates? It's seriously loving annoying and I can't think of a reason (for my purposes anyway) why I wouldn't want Java updates to just... happen. Especially on my parents computer for which I'm an admin.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mak0rz posted:

I'm liking Deluge as my new lightweight Torrent client. Might not suit everyone's tastes, but it does everything I need it for.

Question: Is there any way to make UAC ignore Java updates? It's seriously loving annoying and I can't think of a reason (for my purposes anyway) why I wouldn't want Java updates to just... happen. Especially on my parents computer for which I'm an admin.

Reinstall Java to the user folders instead of Program Files and such. Then it won't need elevation.

Spikeness
Dec 4, 2009
I am sexually aroused by the thought of a 12 year old video game character in a bikini, just fy
Can anyone recommend a good program to scan my drives and show me a list of file duplicates that may be present? I've used some software to do this in the past but cant or the life of me remember any names.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Spikeness posted:

Can anyone recommend a good program to scan my drives and show me a list of file duplicates that may be present? I've used some software to do this in the past but cant or the life of me remember any names.
I'm using the free version of DigitalVolcano's Duplicate Cleaner for that.

It was the only free one I could find at the time that would let me select files for deletion based on the subfolder they're in. It's not perfect and there's still a lot of manual work involved, but it gets the job done.

Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Not sure if this is the right thread but I'm looking for a free solution to batch convert PDF to DOC... I can't seem to access the big list of software either, anyone have any suggestions?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
So somebody has been messing with my crap at work and even stole my headphone I left by accident.

I want to find out who it is, I know it is non-prime (night) shift. My work computer has a webcam integrated in it.

Is there any free motion detection webcam software? Basically start recording if it detects any motion. This rear end in a top hat messes with with my desk and my nearby coworkers all the time, items will be out of place etc and other small items get stolen.

Plan is to lock the computer and have it running in the background.

TwoKnives
Dec 25, 2004

Horrible, horrible shoes!
http://www.ispyconnect.com/

I wanted to use a webcam for security and found this program. I never got around to using it though. The site looks professional at least.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

TwoKnives posted:

http://www.ispyconnect.com/

I wanted to use a webcam for security and found this program. I never got around to using it though. The site looks professional at least.

Gave it a try, and it works well! I just tested it while I went to lunch and anytime someone walked by, it recorded it. Pretty impressed with it for free software. So curious what it will capture overnight, absolutely no one should be in my area at night since everyone near me goes home.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
what's the closest equivalent to OS X's Stickies app I can run on XP? ShixxNOTE is the closest thing I could find, but it looks pretty bloated, i'd prefer to use something lightweight/native/free if possible

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Is there an app that can monitor and give stats/graphs about how much data is flowing in/out of my PC?

Resource monitor isn't quite cutting it.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

psylent posted:

Is there an app that can monitor and give stats/graphs about how much data is flowing in/out of my PC?

I'm a fan of Networx

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Thermopyle posted:

Has anyone here using Synergy run into the bug where it prevents the screensaver from starting and found a way around it?

Are both Server/Client both in Windows? I've used Synergy for a few years, and though I haven't recently, it worked with 7 and OSX and Linux for screensaver 'syncing'. If I recall, there are some radio boxes you have to check for it to allow/disallow it.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Factor Mystic posted:

Thanks. Just got a chance to take a look. I hope this is the right tab I grabbed:

I can't change anything in there since I'm not an admin but I can get someone on it pretty quick. Does anything in there look like it might be the culprit for right clicks in explorer taking so long on large files? The only thing is that I might not get the OK to turn off AV stuff.

There's no way to profile the time each of these is taking is there?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
On Windows 7 (x64), is there a way or program to let me watch USB data transfer activity similar to watching the network usage graph in Task Manager's Network tab?

I would really like a way to know if/how much data is moving over a USB port when, say, iTunes syncs (just an example).

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Illuminado posted:

Are both Server/Client both in Windows? I've used Synergy for a few years, and though I haven't recently, it worked with 7 and OSX and Linux for screensaver 'syncing'. If I recall, there are some radio boxes you have to check for it to allow/disallow it.

Windows and Linux. I have screensaver syncing disabled. I've found others having the same problem but no solution.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

psylent posted:

NetMeter owns and I always install it.

What's the best battery app to run? I want to control power usage better than the stock win 7 one which is pretty lovely.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Shaocaholica posted:

Does anything in there look like it might be the culprit for right clicks in explorer taking so long on large files?
It's the most tenuous link, but I used to have an issue with NVidia video drivers, where rightclicking a video file would blink the screen. This had something to do with the driver creating a submenu in the contextmenu for selecting the screen to play the video on. It would do this just as well when only one monitor was connected.

The solution was to disable some NVidia startup item that didn't offer any other functionality than cramming more stuff in the contextmenu that I never used anyway. As I don't know what checks are built into that functionality, very theoretically I could see that possibly being related to your problem. I don't see anything else that's obviously problematic in that list anyway.

You could definitely try to disable one or both NVidia startup items. You'd have to look up which ones are essential for normal functionality these days though, because I don't remember and that stuff sometimes changes.

EpicCodeMonkey
Feb 19, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

NetMeter owns and I always install it.

What's the best battery app to run? I want to control power usage better than the stock win 7 one which is pretty lovely.

I like BatteryBar:

http://osirisdevelopment.com/BatteryBar/

Since it's unobtrusive, and gives accurate time estimates for charging and discharging. The free version works fine, but if you want automatic profile switching, alerts and other crap the pro version's a few bucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there any reason to regularly defrag a hard drive. Like, once a week? That seems excessive to me, but somebody asked me to schedule it on the computer I'm setting up for him to run weekly, and I'd like some feedback before I tell him that's insane.