Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InShaneee
Aug 11, 2006

Cleanse them. Cleanse the world of their ignorance and sin. Bathe them in the crimson of ... am I on speakerphone?
Fun Shoe

SupSuper posted:

Take a drink for every "remember when games were X" Kickstarter.

Finish your drink for every "I have no prior programming experience, but I just bought Game Maker and you're going to buy me some actual talent" Kickstarter.

(Don't actually do this, your liver can't take it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merry Magpie
Jan 8, 2012

A superstitious cowardly lot.

Occupation posted:

360, and I used to keep a running list of all the bugs I encountered because whenever I'd state that AP was buggy someone would vitriolically state that I was lying/overstating that facts/etc.

I was not claiming AP did not have bugs. I consider it an oversimplification to describe all versions of the game as equally buggy.

I enjoyed AP on PC, and I am sad that the gameplay was overshadowed by issues on consoles.

psy_wombats
Dec 1, 2009

Doom Goon posted:

Ooh, that's pretty neat! Also, I might be missing :thejoke: but I think Renoistic meant at least a gameplay video.

Also, has your team, together or individually, worked on any other games? Always nice to to see some experience (especially coders) on a team.
Ah, yeah, not much in the way of gameplay footage yet. Hopefully when we have something decent it'll show up on the kickstarter, and there's also a tumblr/site where things should be updated more regularly.

I've personally worked on 10 or so small for-fun games, some short roguelikes with Cascade Studios, and longer games in other engines, so hopefully there's a career in it somewhere. I've worked a bit with Karim in the past but nothing especially presentable.

The Moon Monster posted:

Just out of curiosity, what is the 6k going to pay for? It's not enough for some, much less multiple people to live on, and I'm guessing you'll be going for a low cost publishing method. I don't mean this in a begrudging or suspicious way, I'm just wondering.
You're right about low cost publishing and marketing. As for the team: most of us are enthusiasts and are looking to get a good-looking game out first, something we can be proud of. Both artists are freelancers though and they need to make a living, even at reduced rates for a project like this. Myself, Karim, and Alex should be fine from what the game itself generates.

Midrena posted:

I love the "Sol E Chuva" and "Stillness Everlasting" music tracks -- they're beautiful.
Thanks, relayed this to Alex -- his response: "I saw, I was really happy. but they aint seen nothin' yet!"

Mug
Apr 26, 2005

AnonSpore posted:

I'm not that familiar with Kickstarter projects outside of the good-looking ones that get linked here, so this is an honest question...

Is this sort of thing common? Does Kickstarter not have any sort of quality checking before you can throw up a project? :psyduck:

Holy poo poo this whole thing is awesome. He mentions how he's had his project rejected by Kickstarter before but he just has to resubmit over and over because they doubted Christopher Comlumbus when they said he was going to sail off the edge of the world buy look how dumb they all were.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

psy_wombats posted:

Ah, yeah, not much in the way of gameplay footage yet. Hopefully when we have something decent it'll show up on the kickstarter, and there's also a tumblr/site where things should be updated more regularly.

I've personally worked on 10 or so small for-fun games, some short roguelikes with Cascade Studios, and longer games in other engines, so hopefully there's a career in it somewhere. I've worked a bit with Karim in the past but nothing especially presentable.

You're right about low cost publishing and marketing. As for the team: most of us are enthusiasts and are looking to get a good-looking game out first, something we can be proud of. Both artists are freelancers though and they need to make a living, even at reduced rates for a project like this. Myself, Karim, and Alex should be fine from what the game itself generates.

Thanks, relayed this to Alex -- his response: "I saw, I was really happy. but they aint seen nothin' yet!"
I'm interested in how you're coding this. Are you just making your own engine for it in C++?

edit: props to your artists, they've really nailed Square's look, for both in-game and concept art.

Cicero fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Nov 6, 2012

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
I haven't seen any posts about this: A kickstarter has been started about an Elite remake. Titled Elite: Dangerous, the details on the kickstarter seem...sparse at this point. The target is £1.25 million. Since this is a UK-based project, I don't know if it is appearing on the US kickstarter. That would probably be to its detriment.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

I'll still throw it a pledge because goddamn I love me some Elite. And procedural content is always a plus in my book.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DStecks posted:

That is an awesomely entertaining read. I couldn't satirize highschoolers pitching "The greatest game ever you guyz!" any better. Seriously, you owe it to yourself to read it all the way through.

I couldn't, but my interest was piqued by his surprisingly professional Unity scenes and surprise surprise they all seem shall we say borrowed, right down to the AI package in his AI test picture.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

DStecks posted:

That is an awesomely entertaining read. I couldn't satirize highschoolers pitching "The greatest game ever you guyz!" any better. Seriously, you owe it to yourself to read it all the way through.

If this is satire (and I'm convinced it is) It's the most amazing piece of comedy I've seen on kickstarter since Shaker made "we split both the game and the talent in half" a stretch goal.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

The BBC interviewed David Braben about the Elite Kickstarter
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20187897

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am super pumped about a new Elite, but then I played the original way back in the day. I'm kinda worried that the Kickstarter presentation is too wordy and spartan to sway the huge number of people needed to get £1,25 million.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Game music / Amiga fans rejoice, Allister Brimble is making a Kickstarter for an album of remastered versions of his work: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2059538678/the-amiga-works

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Man, what's with all of the space sim kickstarters all of a sudden. Star Citizen, Strike Suit Zero and now a new Elite? Hell, maybe this'll start a new wave of space sims and Disney will commission a new X-Wing and/or TIE Fighter game. A man can dream.....a man can dream....

One Eye Open
Sep 19, 2006
Am I awake?

The Gripper posted:

Veterans, or just shuffling around existing designs (which it looks like they've done).

Oh yes - now that you mention it, the Ouya does look like it has some similarities to the mainboard from a Nexus 7 (Steps 16-17), but a lot of that could be due to the pinout of the Tegra 3, as other designs seem to bear out. Hopefully they're going to stick some sort of heatsink on it though, as nVidia does for its heavier duty reference boards.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Der Shovel posted:

I am super pumped about a new Elite, but then I played the original way back in the day. I'm kinda worried that the Kickstarter presentation is too wordy and spartan to sway the huge number of people needed to get £1,25 million.

Elite owned hard, but £1,25 million target and £20 to get the game seems steep, especially with nothing to show.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pyromancer posted:

Elite owned hard, but £1,25 million target and £20 to get the game seems steep, especially with nothing to show.

Yeah. The fact that he's decided to put this project out there with absolutely no media whatsoever is not endearing me to it. To be honest, looking at the trend he'll probably get it on his and Elite's name alone, but I don't feel he earned it on his pitch, that's for drat sure.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

And despite all these flaws, he got 80,000 in the first day.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

psy_wombats posted:

The fact that you guys mention Suikoden as an inspiration makes me more interested than anything else, but yeah, I want to see what it looks like in motion as well, and maybe more about the actual structure and scope of the game world as a whole.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

YourAverageJoe posted:

Yes, he's 'trending' for 4 million and although that usually doesn't work out like that he'll definitely exceed his goal.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

fondue posted:

Yes, he's 'trending' for 4 million and although that usually doesn't work out like that he'll definitely exceed his goal.

I would pledge immediately, just because Elite, but it's a pretty crappy Kickstarter thus far, honestly. He should have taken a cue from Star Citizen on how to make a great first impression.

Also, Elite: Dangerous is seriously one of the dumbest game names in recent memory and whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MadJackMcJack posted:

Man, what's with all of the space sim kickstarters all of a sudden. Star Citizen, Strike Suit Zero and now a new Elite? Hell, maybe this'll start a new wave of space sims and Disney will commission a new X-Wing and/or TIE Fighter game. A man can dream.....a man can dream....

I think it's just that it's mostly a dead genre that's still popular with its niche, so a lot of those people want to revive it.

Also for Elite; I could have sworn having a pitch video was a requirement for Kickstarter. Did they change that recently?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pyromancer posted:

Yep, it's the "nothing to show" part that's kinda digging away at me. I'm not gonna drop £20 sight unseen. Sorry, David Braben.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Der Shovel posted:

Yep, it's the "nothing to show" part that's kinda digging away at me. I'm not gonna drop £20 sight unseen. Sorry, David Braben.

Isn't he the one of the two Elite's creators that's kind of an rear end in a top hat?

Megazver fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 6, 2012

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I normally don't look at MMO Kickstarters due to the risks inherent in a 2-man (or 5-man) MMO show, but I saw this and I can't help but feel this teeny tiny desire to back it:

Greed Monger - A crafting focused sandbox MMORPG with a focus on crafting, economics and politics. Inspired by the likes of Ultima Online, Greed Monger will bring back elements of true MMORPG Gaming since been lost in the corporate watering down of this formerly exciting genre, which many of us have been missing for years such as Non-Instanced Player Housing, Rares Dealing, Sand Box Style Skill Variety and much more.

Kickstarter really is the Nostalgia Makes You Want to Open Your Wallet site. Geez.

The video is rather bland, and it irritated me when the voice of the presenter went into "I have to show you guys this stuff so let me just get it out of the way SIGH" territory -- it's just a turn off for me when people don't sound enthusiastic and instead sound like they're grudgingly showing you their poo poo. Still on the fence so I'm keeping half an eye on it, though I suppose I'll check it out when it launches since it's free to play. The parcels of land you get with the tiers are tempting, but I'm afraid the process of crafting is going to be tedious and grindy as hell. Also, indie MMO and all that.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 6, 2012

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Also for Elite; I could have sworn having a pitch video was a requirement for Kickstarter. Did they change that recently?

Its not a requirement, just highly recommended.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

YourAverageJoe posted:

£220,000 now.

Is anyone else in the UK having problems pledging on Kickstarter?

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

quote:

Looking at all the high quality games we at Frontier have produced, from RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 to Kinectimals to LostWinds to Disneyland Adventures, I think the risk of non-delivery is small. We already have a large team who are very experienced at delivering complicated projects, and the key high-risk components (like networking) are already in place.

That's his evidence that Frontier Developments can create a non-poo poo open-world game. And it's got him £250k :psyduck:

At least between this and the Ouya we're in for some high-priced hilarity.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I'm not ready to write him off. His game could be great for all we know.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

coffeetable posted:

That's his evidence that Frontier Developments can create a non-poo poo open-world game. And it's got him £250k :psyduck:

At least between this and the Ouya we're in for some high-priced hilarity.

I first though "oh, Disneyland Adventures, that was a great NES game." And then I remembered that it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35A1bmXjQfY

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

AnonSpore posted:

Is this sort of thing common? Does Kickstarter not have any sort of quality checking before you can throw up a project? :psyduck:

That's the best logo I'v ever seen.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I'm not ready to write him off. His game could be great for all we know.

It could be great. But the low-information Kickstarter, the grand plans and the lack of any similar games in their development history means that - in my mind - it'll almost certainly be an abject disappointment.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Megazver posted:

Isn't he the one of the two Elite's creators that's kind of an rear end in a top hat?
Only according to Ian Bell (the other Elite guy).

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Hakkesshu posted:

I would pledge immediately, just because Elite, but it's a pretty crappy Kickstarter thus far, honestly. He should have taken a cue from Star Citizen on how to make a great first impression.

Also, Elite: Dangerous is seriously one of the dumbest game names in recent memory and whoever came up with it should be ashamed of themselves.

Seriously, the Star Citizen kickstarter convinced me that they can at least make Freelancer 2, which is enough to get me excited. Anything on top of that is just bonus.

I'm amazed the premise: hey, remember elite? Is getting him any money.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Al! posted:

I first though "oh, Disneyland Adventures, that was a great NES game." And then I remembered that it was this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35A1bmXjQfY

Let's give them props: running around with your arms sticking out like a spaz is the true pre teen Disneyland experience. Clearly they are demonstrating their simulation roots.

JonTheDon
Sep 16, 2005

Pyromancer posted:

It seems only ten thousand copies are available priced at £20, then the next tier available is £30, which seems far too much to me. I think that's really going to discourage people if that's not changed.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

coffeetable posted:

They spent 5-6 years on The Outsider, but a project where they gobbled up loads of someone else's money to deliver nothing probably isn't the thing to bring up on a Kickstarter.

seorin
May 23, 2005

2 Sun's Dusk (Day 78)
Of the Seven Visions of Seven Trials of the Incarnate, I have now fulfilled the Fifth Trial.

Midrena posted:

I love the "Sol E Chuva" and "Stillness Everlasting" music tracks -- they're beautiful.

Totally agree with this. I like all of them, but I keep listening to Sol E Chuva. When I first found it yesterday, Rainfall went from a game I never heard of to one of my most anticipated titles over the span of about 20 minutes.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm amazed the premise: hey, remember elite? Is getting him any money.
As I understand it, Elite is basically the nostalgia game for the U.K. computer scene, so this really makes more sense than it appears. Though I am sure there are other titles that would come close.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, we brits have a place in our hearts for it, and Frontier. So much fun from one 1.5" disk.

But I'll agree with the majority here, the lack on information and high price mean I can't see a point in going in on the kickstarter myself - There is nothing to show, and its due in 2014, so over a year and a half away - that's a long time to wait, and I tend to play the long game.

Even some concept art would be nice.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Yeah, we brits have a place in our hearts for it, and Frontier. So much fun from one 1.5" disk.

But I'll agree with the majority here, the lack on information and high price mean I can't see a point in going in on the kickstarter myself - There is nothing to show, and its due in 2014, so over a year and a half away - that's a long time to wait, and I tend to play the long game.

Even some concept art would be nice.

Braben already said: the previous games are the concept art and the information. He wants to do the same thing, but updated to modern specifications and with greater refinement in some areas. There's not much point showing concept art for spaceships and stations when all they'll be is the old models with a few more polygons and new skins.

I'm also laughing at people balking at the £20-30 price point, when the original Elite cost £15 in 1984.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
Sirs you are being informed that Sir You Are Being Hunted has reached it's goal :monocle: Jolly good, tea and crumpets all around.