Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Holdbrooks posted:

More importantly bring a gas can lol. I just did a 5,000 mile trip in the Abarth and ran out of gas twice. drat west Texas and 110 miles between gas stations and 10 gal tank.

:what:

This makes NO sense. 10 miles per gallon in a 500? Systems detect fuel blow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Viggen posted:

:what:

This makes NO sense. 10 miles per gallon in a 500? Systems detect fuel blow?

I think he meant more "I rolled past the last gas station for 110 miles with the tank 1/3 full and didn't make it to the next".

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Weinertron posted:

I think he meant more "I rolled past the last gas station for 110 miles with the tank 1/3 full and didn't make it to the next".

Still.. I can do that - and make it there [on three gallons] most of the time. :confused:

Viggen fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 26, 2012

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Viggen posted:

Still.. I can do that - and make it there. :confused:

I don't actually own a 500, just read the thread. If they really do 35+ mpg at the 80 mph speed limits you find in West Texas, my mind is blown.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Weinertron posted:

If they really do 35+ mpg at the 80 mph speed limits you find in West Texas, my mind is blown.

If an anecdote is of any use - The 500 I was eyeballing from Nevada through California stopped at every stop that I did.. and I was just doing about a quarter tank as an excuse for taking a leak.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I have a full set (actually I think 20) of wobble bolts that were purchased for Revelations' old X1/9, if you can find if they work, anyone can take them cheap.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

If anyone has anymore options for pink wheels im all ears.
Any wheel can be made pink.
http://www.homedepot.com/buy/rust-oleum-11-oz-specialty-fluorescent-pink-spray-paint-6-pack--182716.html

:colbert:

BigHouseOfBooty
Nov 13, 2012

true, but they would need constant attention and respraying. even to cheaply spraybomb some steelies is a lot of work for something that wont last long.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Weinertron posted:

I don't actually own a 500, just read the thread. If they really do 35+ mpg at the 80 mph speed limits you find in West Texas, my mind is blown.

I've done better than that in larger cars. Depends on conditions, I guess, but it's believable, especially with cruise on, and if you're driving behind large trucks.

BigHouseOfBooty posted:

true, but they would need constant attention and respraying. even to cheaply spraybomb some steelies is a lot of work for something that wont last long.

If you shop around, truck bed liner can be had in a variety of colors.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Do they sell bedliner in annoying neon green? I feel like it would hold up better on my winter steelies than Plastidip.

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority
:stonk:

Glad I didn't go to the LA autoshow this year. I would have punched Timothy Kuniskis in the face for giving us these abortions while continuing to withhold the euro diesel 500.

toaster_pastry fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 29, 2012

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The 500e is pretty cool and like it or not the 500L is basically going to determine Fiat's viability in the USA.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
From what I read it'll have the Abarth engine putting out 160hp, not too bad for a people-hauler like that though. I can see it getting traction for families in cities since parking space and space in general isn't a lot.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

toaster_pastry posted:

Glad I didn't go to the LA autoshow this year. I would have punched Timothy Kuniskis in the face for giving us these abortions while continuing to withhold the euro diesel 500.

Are we ever going to see the Fiat diesels? Or will it be just like the Smarts and we'll only ever get the gas powered version.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Do they sell bedliner in annoying neon green? I feel like it would hold up better on my winter steelies than Plastidip.

Apparently yes, but heavily textured.

http://grizzlygrip.com/Color_Chart-content.aspx

toaster_pastry
Apr 30, 2004

against all authority

CommieGIR posted:

Are we ever going to see the Fiat diesels? Or will it be just like the Smarts and we'll only ever get the gas powered version.

I've actually met Kuniskis (the head of Fiat in the US) and the answer was no.

copied from my website:

Ending on a slightly somber note for fuel economy enthusiasts, TINMC was able to exclusively confirm with Fiat USA CEO Timothy Kuniskis that the US will not be getting a diesel engine option for the 500 as offered in Europe. Citing an estimated price premium of "nearly $5,000 for the more expensive diesel engine", it was determined to be "nonviable for the US market".

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

He's under a lot of stress alright?
How big is the upgrade between a 500 Turbo and the Abarth model?

I'm able to get a 500 turbo near invoice price. After taxes and registration the total cost comes out to ~$21,700. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds at that price.

I'm confident I won't get an Abarth for under $28k total. Is the Abarth worth the upgrade at that point?

VolumeOverTalent
Jan 27, 2006

aaaaah pretty car

DSC_0010 by medullanocte, on Flickr

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Dr. Mix posted:

I'm able to get a 500 turbo near invoice price. After taxes and registration the total cost comes out to ~$21,700. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds at that price.

I'm confident I won't get an Abarth for under $28k total. Is the Abarth worth the upgrade at that point?

Wait what, why? The car stickers at 22. Why are you convinced you will pay 28?

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Wait what, why? The car stickers at 22. Why are you convinced you will pay 28?

The FIAT representative told me my work-related discount cannot apply to the Abarth. That discount took $700 off the sticker price and waived 90% of the dealership fee. That helped trimmed ~$1,350 off the turbo's price.

He also can't guarantee I can order an Abarth with the exact options I'm looking for. He hasn't seen an Abarth model that with only the base options. For example he said that he has never seen an Abarth without leather seats or premium wheels.

Here is the theoretically cheapest Abarth they would typically get:

$22,000 (Base price)
+ $1,000 (Leather seats)
+ $700 (Premium BOSE audio)
+ $700 (Destination charge)
=$24,400

Then factor in more charges:
6% Sales Tax, ~$300 New Registration fee, $99 Electronic form fee, and $700 dealership fee. and that becomes ~$27k.

That $27k assumes the only two optional features are leather seats and premium audio.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You know you can go to the dealership and order a car to the options package you want, right?

Dr. Mix
Jan 21, 2005

I'll give it a shot tomorrow, but I was told something completely different today when I was at a FIAT dealership. It was probably just a lie to get me to buy a car before the month ended.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

gently caress that noise.

Buying a new car means you get to choose exactly which options you want. If they're going to sell you a car with a different configuration than you really want, there better be a solid discount on it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

KozmoNaut posted:

gently caress that noise.

Buying a new car means you get to choose exactly which options you want. If they're going to sell you a car with a different configuration than you really want, there better be a solid discount on it.

Pretty much this. The Fiat dealer by me knows what car I'm gonna get with what options I want and has up front laid out the cost. Unless you're not getting it from a Fiat dealership, there's no reason they won't get you one you specifically want.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

toaster_pastry posted:

I've actually met Kuniskis (the head of Fiat in the US) and the answer was no.

copied from my website:

Ending on a slightly somber note for fuel economy enthusiasts, TINMC was able to exclusively confirm with Fiat USA CEO Timothy Kuniskis that the US will not be getting a diesel engine option for the 500 as offered in Europe. Citing an estimated price premium of "nearly $5,000 for the more expensive diesel engine", it was determined to be "nonviable for the US market".

I find this funny, as all they have to do is look over at VW whom is selling Jetta/Passat/Toureg/Golf TDI's like hot cakes. And they share that $5k price tag increase.

Oh well, dream on I suppose

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CommieGIR posted:

I find this funny, as all they have to do is look over at VW whom is selling Jetta/Passat/Toureg/Golf TDI's like hot cakes. And they share that $5k price tag increase.

Those are relatively good diesels compared to the one you'd find in a 500

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

dissss posted:

They've also been sold more or less continuously for 30+ years, while Fiat is still trying to get their feet under them in the US market. Even if it was the world's best diesel it still might seem prudent to build up some good will before trying it here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

dissss posted:

The 1.3 Multijet is an excellent engine?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

InitialDave posted:

But how much would it run them to certify it for sale in the US?

Ford (I think) has said it would be too expensive to bring over their European diesels, I can see Fiat not wanting to risk it just yet.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Dr. Mix posted:

I know this question got derailed for other purposes but I'd really like to know the answer to this question as well. Day to day use-the-boost! and weekend fun driving, is the Abarth package worth the few grand over a loaded Turbo?

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp
It's detuned but I'm assuming it's due to ECU changes rather than anything physically different? More details:

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2013-fiat-500-turbo-photos-and-info-news

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Sir Tonk posted:

But how much would it run them to certify it for sale in the US?

Ford (I think) has said it would be too expensive to bring over their European diesels, I can see Fiat not wanting to risk it just yet.

It's not just expensive, it makes little sense for the buyer because even for VWs the extra premium one pays on top to get the diesel takes years to make back in fuel savings. It's not economically viable and it becomes less viable the cheaper the car gets, because small cars are already cheap and get pretty good fuel economy. Large percentages of VWs are diesles because with VWs your other engine options are an awful 115hp 8 valve 2.0l or a wheezy 170hp 2.5l I5 that guzzles like a V6 with the power of an I4.

...and that's assuming tha tyou won't have any unexpected maintainance problems with a diesel, and frankly looking at the track record of VW's (or anymarque really, Ford powerstroke anyone?) diesel fuel systems and emissions components, and the replacement costs of said systems, you're more than likely to spend a shitload more money just keeping a diesl on the road.

Actually the *best* case for diesels is on expensive SUVs, because the fuel savings tend to be greater when you're comparing them to twin turbo V8s that on top of everything also require premium gas too. The payback period for the price difference between a diesel and gas BMW X5 or Audi Q7 is actually better than for a Jetta. That's why they are bringing a diesel Grand Cherokee but nothing else.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The TDI is definitely not a rational economic purchase, for sure, but there are a lot of non-rational purchases of vehicles.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The TDI is definitely not a rational economic purchase, for sure, but there are a lot of non-rational purchases of vehicles.

I bought mine because it has a weird combination of fun to drive and economy that I didn't really find in my test drives of competitors. I've told people that ask me about it that they're way better off going with a gasoline engine in something else if they're actually worried about economy and price. It really doesn't make any sense if that's what you're looking for.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

The TDI also has a lot more features stock than the comparable gasser. It's not a strict gas vs. diesel fuel comparison.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Sorry to interrupt your VW shitposting but here are the new FIAT 500 ads.

http://autos.aol.com/article/fiats-new-sexy-commercials/

#4 was pretty good.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

InitialDave posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty horrible and coarse and also not at all in keeping with the character of a small car.

To be fair I'm basing this off the Suzuki Swift which is the low power version though, Fiat doesn't sell a diesel 500 locally

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

Really? I thought it was pretty horrible and coarse and also not at all in keeping with the character of a small car.

To be fair I'm basing this off the Suzuki Swift which is the low power version though, Fiat doesn't sell a diesel 500 locally

I had a Panda with the 75hp/145nm 1.3 Multijet. It's a good little engine, but you're always very distinctly aware that it's a diesel. It's not coarse as such, but there is significantly more noise and vibration than with a gasoline engine, especially at idle. Once you get going, it lessens.

There are a couple of things to be aware of, though. Because it's quite small and very fuel-efficient, it takes ages to warm up when it's cold out, since it doesn't generate a lot of waste heat. If you live in a place like Canada or northern Sweden/Norway/Finland, you will need a block heater. Otherwise it'll never ever warm up ever.

Secondly, the powerband is quite narrow, and unlike bigger diesel where displacement gives you decent pull before the turbo kicks in, you need to be on boost to have any power at all. It's very 'dieselly' in that respect.

Other than that it's frugal, dependable and has long service intervals. But it's not an engine you rev the tits off, like a typical small Italian gasoline engine.

Sybok
May 25, 2006

Spiffness posted:

I know this question got derailed for other purposes but I'd really like to know the answer to this question as well. Day to day use-the-boost! and weekend fun driving, is the Abarth package worth the few grand over a loaded Turbo?

From my understanding the Turbo is the European Abarth while the US Abarth is essentially the European Esseesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Just popping in to say I got to drive an Abarth today. My friend works as the network admin for a auto group so he gets to drive fun (used) stuff occasionally and we went to lunch.

The exhaust note was probably the highlight of the car for me, everyone seems to love that raspy growl. A few things I noted:

- Handling was good, especially considering the non-jarring ride. The steering was higher effort at low speeds than I was expecting, though not really a complaint.
- Boost seemed to be limited in 1st and 2nd, the car felt fairly meh. At 5k in 3rd it definitely livened up though, sucks you don't get that pull in the first 2 gears.
- I think it would be hard to drive economically. Either you try and baby it and it feels anemic, or you give it enough throttle for the turbo to start pulling and there goes your efficiency (yea I know it's not really meant for efficiency being an abarth)
- Moderate turbo lag, but I guess that's what you can expect from a tiny engine.
- I didn't like the interior plastics, which are just about everywhere. Personal preference, I guess. Visibility wasn't very good, but it was probably just this car because they had a dash mounted GPS and some stickers on the windshield. Coupled with the short windshield and high gauge cluster it felt a little closed in.
- The gearchange wasn't bad, but I would have expected shorter/more positive throws from a sporty car. Maybe it's the elevated shifter location that I'm not used to? I also didn't like the shift lever itself, it was like a beach ball inflated around a normal gear lever.
- Brakes were pretty good, really grabby but that's probably because I'm used to old crappy cars who's brakes are overboosted like crazy.

I didn't come here to poo poo all over the car, I just expected more I guess. I don't get to drive enough nice, new cars so I don't have much to compare it to.

• Locked thread