Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Install Gentoo posted:

Chiropractic, homeopathic, naturopathic and so on are all still legal, can all cause harm (including the harm of not seeing a real doctor for serious medical condition) but are all still legal. Just being junk medicine that hurts people and gets done to kids against their will, unfortunately, isn't illegal.
While you are right about this, I do think there is room for regulation concerning state licensed practitioners on best practices and standards of conduct, especially with regard to potentially permanent effects on minors. You can't really outlaw some wacko berating kids for having boners, but we can hold licensed healers to a scientific standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011
Are there any objections to recognizing same-sex marriage that aren't either based on religion or pure animus? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Romen's holding (or perhaps dicta) disallow animus against a group as a reason for making a classification?

I'm probably unlikely to find a SSM opponent here, but I really can't believe this is still controversial.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
There are some but they're mostly the fringe arguments.

Sometimes in the federal debate the libertarians will get pissy because blah blah blah states' rights.

You also have the apathy voters who don't really OBJECT to it they're just lazy pieces of poo poo who don't want to be educated so they go with the status quo because they don't care.

Also I suppose you can't always lump the 'gays are gonna pervert our kids by making us acknowledge' them with 'religious' if only because most of the time they avoid admitting their group is religious.

The biggest one to fight is that last one, they have a lot of bullshit data and just straight up lies about how kids need a mom and dad and blah blah blah how can I explain this to my kids. They almost always are religious groups like Focus on the Family and all, but in their arguments they don't admit to it, and you can't really go 'objection this dude's really working for a religious group' in a court when the other guy is just throwing out lovely 'data'.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

shitthedd posted:

Are there any objections to recognizing same-sex marriage that aren't either based on religion or pure animus? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Romen's holding (or perhaps dicta) disallow animus against a group as a reason for making a classification?

The objections that get raised publicly at this point tend to claim reasons based in tradition, preserving the family, and encouraging procreation.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

shitthedd posted:

I'm probably unlikely to find a SSM opponent here, but I really can't believe this is still controversial.

Not really.

I don't know Romen, but the problem is the standard of scrutiny applied. Unless an elevated level of scrutiny is applied, all the state needs to do is show a compelling interest in regulating something, which can be completely hypothetical. Like, you can claim that gay people can't have children, the state has a compelling interest in having children, banning gay marriage causes more children, ergo ban gay marriage.

It's transparently bullshit, but the Supreme Court has bent over backwards to apply low standards of scrutiny to sexual orientation despite obvious histories of discrimination and other things which should induce strict scrutiny. This is starting to break somewhat, when California's Supreme Court ruled on marriage protection pre-Prop 8 it applied strict scrutiny for one of the first times. The Prop 8 case is another interesting one, the anti-gay-marriage folks did such a bad job making their case the judge didn't even find a rational basis let alone a strict scrutiny.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Dec 4, 2012

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't know Romen, but the problem is the standard of scrutiny applied. Unless an elevated level of scrutiny is applied, all the state needs to do is show a compelling interest in regulating something, which can be justified by nearly anything even without affirmative proof of your claim. Like, you can claim that gay people can't have children, the state has a compelling interest in having children, ergo ban gay marriage.

While the Supreme Court has never held sexual orientation discrimination is subject to intermediate or strict scrutiny, the version of the rational basis test that has been getting applied to it is stricter scrutiny than usual, just without the name (It's been referred to as rational+ scrutiny).

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Paul MaudDib posted:

Not really.

I don't know Romen, but the problem is the standard of scrutiny applied. Unless an elevated level of scrutiny is applied, all the state needs to do is show a compelling interest in regulating something, which can be completely hypothetical. Like, you can claim that gay people can't have children, the state has a compelling interest in having children, banning gay marriage causes more children, ergo ban gay marriage.

It's transparently bullshit, but the Supreme Court has bent over backwards to apply low standards of scrutiny to sexual orientation despite obvious histories of discrimination and other things which should induce strict scrutiny. This is starting to break somewhat, when California's Supreme Court ruled on marriage protection pre-Prop 8 it applied strict scrutiny for one of the first times. The Prop 8 case is another interesting one, the anti-gay-marriage folks did such a bad job making their case the judge didn't even find a rational basis let alone a strict scrutiny.

Sorry, it's Romer v. Evans, in which the Supreme Court invalidated a Colorado constitutional amendment, finding it motivated only by animus against an unpopular group (homosexuals). And yes, the standard of scrutiny applied was called rational basis, but it had more teeth to it than rational basis review usually does. I'm convinced that Romer will be more important as precedent than Lawrence* in overturning bans on gay marriage.

(I loved ConLaw, but have very rarely used any of it since taking the bar exam nearly five years ago.) *Anyone read "Flagrant Conduct", Dale Carpenter's recent book on Lawrence? Carpenter is fascinating - gay Republican law professor and advocate for gay marriage. He's fond of making conservative arguments to attack opponents of gay marriage.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

twodot posted:

While you are right about this, I do think there is room for regulation concerning state licensed practitioners on best practices and standards of conduct, especially with regard to potentially permanent effects on minors. You can't really outlaw some wacko berating kids for having boners, but we can hold licensed healers to a scientific standard.

The state definitely has a vested interest in licensure, but evidently the practice of "gay therapy" is a First Amendment issue rather than a public-health issue under Ninth Circuit jurisprudence, because banning such has the ancillary benefit of supporting a particular viewpoint on a non-health, speech-related issue (gay rights). Since "gay therapy" requires speech to perform such therapy (like psychiatry, for example), regulating "gay therapy" implies a regulation of speech. And since such the law is inherently content-/viewpoint-based (as it supports a particular viewpoint on gay rights), in the Ninth Circuit, that means it's subject to the First Amendment's strict scrutiny standard rather than a lower standard used to judge the regulation of other forms of medical conduct.

So basically, the primary reason "gay therapy" is ostensibly constitutional is because it's a form of medical treatment that makes extensive use of speech. They could ban certain physical approaches (provided that they banned its use for all psychological treatments), but they could not ban any sort of verbal/group treatment without undergoing strict scrutiny (and thus requiring that lawmakers demonstrate direct causation of harm by such "gay therapy" that makes use of verbal/group treatment).

If the law is struck down based on strict scrutiny, the only response Californian lawmakers would have is to either a) wait for direct causation to be shown (good luck with that one), b) ban all forms of coercive mental health treatment without regard to the intent of the treatment (and even this might get struck down as an 'overly broad' law) or c) explicitly ban specific forms of coercive mental health treatment without regard to the intent of the treatment (which might survive an attack based on being overly broad, but then leads to a cat-and-mouse game between lawmakers and "gay therapists")

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 4, 2012

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

Install Gentoo posted:

Chiropractic, homeopathic, naturopathic and so on are all still legal, can all cause harm (including the harm of not seeing a real doctor for serious medical condition) but are all still legal. Just being junk medicine that hurts people and gets done to kids against their will, unfortunately, isn't illegal.
Yeah, I know, but the bullshit pseudomedicines are at least enshrined in law and regulated as medicine. Not "speech". That's my biggest problem with this suit - it's literally a claim that practicing lovely medicine should not be regulated because it is religious speech.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Why can't we make those illegal? Like, have it so you can say whatever but if you claim your rocks are going to fix people and charge money for it you can be charged with fraud?

I'm not being snide I legitimately thought there is valid standing to sue someone for selling you a box of crystals to cure your cancer or whatever.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Homeopathic "medicine" is allowed because a homeopathic doctor was in the senate when the drug regulations were first started. A lot of other things are allowed under various laws that explicitly authorize "natural" supplements and poo poo passed due to lobbying.

It's all like that. I do believe some of it got allowed on basis of free speech too the way anti-gay abuse is being.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

evilweasel posted:

While the Supreme Court has never held sexual orientation discrimination is subject to intermediate or strict scrutiny, the version of the rational basis test that has been getting applied to it is stricter scrutiny than usual, just without the name (It's been referred to as rational+ scrutiny).

I always laugh at the procreation rationale. Want more people to have kids? Maybe start with affordable childcare and early childhood development programs. I know plenty of people who aren't having kids because they can't afford it.

Those reasons inevitably melt under scrutiny to reveal some flavor of bigotry, religious or otherwise when pressed in conversation.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Nuclearmonkee posted:

I always laugh at the procreation rationale. Want more people to have kids? Maybe start with affordable childcare and early childhood development programs. I know plenty of people who aren't having kids because they can't afford it.

Those reasons inevitably melt under scrutiny to reveal some flavor of bigotry, religious or otherwise when pressed in conversation.

Also, the procreation rationale leaves out infertile and elderly couples, as well as fertile couples who don't want to have kids. Also, it ignores same sex couples who decide to have children. The procreation rationale just doesn't work on the face of it.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

The people defending the Nevada marriage amendment have petitioned for SCOTUS appeal.

This is a really good strategy. Their best shot at winning is to get a ruling on a fundamental right as soon as possible.

Nobody knows if this will affect the conference that should happen Friday.

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 6, 2012

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

This happened today, in Washington State. :dance:

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/12/05/be-it-proclaimed-marriage-equality-is-signed-sealed-and-about-to-be-deliverd

It's legal. It's actually legal and binding now, signed by the Governor. And the same-sex marriage applications will start to be received art 12:01 am tonight.

They already have crowd control measures set up, as they expect this to be an absolute madhouse here in Seattle.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Same sex marriage is now officially legal in the State of Washington. Marriage licenses are now being distributed. The first couple just got their license.

:toot:

Qu Appelle fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 6, 2012

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus
Dow Constantine's speech was really great.

Also, the Kiro helicopter is looking at the administration building. It's a beautiful sight.

Oh, poo poo. They cut to the stoners.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I hope somebody made a fistful of tiny joints to throw instead of rice.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

The people defending the Nevada marriage amendment have petitioned for SCOTUS appeal.

This is a really good strategy. Their best shot at winning is to get a ruling on a fundamental right as soon as possible.

Nobody knows if this will affect the conference that should happen Friday.

Wait. So if I'm reading this correctly, the specific legal question involved in this case whether or not marriage equality is a Constitutional right?

So if this goes to the Supreme Court, it could be the case that universally legalizes same-sex marriage nationwide?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

VirtualStranger posted:

Wait. So if I'm reading this correctly, the specific legal question involved in this case whether or not marriage equality is a Constitutional right?

So if this goes to the Supreme Court, it could be the case that universally legalizes same-sex marriage nationwide?
Pretty much.

Nevada has domestic partnerships so they could instead rule that separate institutions are unacceptable and bring in 8 more states instead of 41.

But even if they dodge on the Nevada case there's a Michigan case behind that.

Thewittyname
May 9, 2010

It's time to...
PRESS! YOUR! LUCK!
Of course the Supreme Court can decide however it wants, but unless the Court addresses the Equal Protection claims, merely striking down Section 3 of DOMA is going to quickly end up in serious administrative headaches. Just imagine all the same-sex couples that get legally married, move to a non-recognizing state and then seek divorce (or even just a bankruptcy).

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:
While we wait for the SCOTUS to make a move on these cases, let's have some good news from Mexico.

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/12/05/world/americas/ap-lt-mexico-gay-marriage.html?ref=samesexmarriage

quote:

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico's Supreme Court has ruled that a law in southern Oaxaca state that bans same-sex marriages is unconstitutional, paving the way for same-sex couples to marry in that state and possibly in the rest of Mexico.

In a unanimous decision on Wednesday, the tribunal struck down a Oaxaca state law that declares that "one of the purposes of marriage is the perpetuation of the species."

The court said in its ruling that to condition marriages to the union of one man and one woman "violates the principle of equality."

Currently, same-sex marriage is only legally allowed in Mexico City, where a same-sex marriage law was enacted in 2010.

The court's ruling comes from a lawsuit filed by three gay couples against the state of Oaxaca.

Supreme court rulings in Mexico are not binding across the entire nation like in the US, so this really only applies to that specific state.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Mexico's laws are interesting.
Every state recognizes but only two and the capital issue licenses.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
My understanding is that it was legalized in Quintana Roo (the state where Cancun is) because someone realized that the wording of the marriage law for that state only specified that marriage was for "two people" or something and didn't specify the sex of the individuals. So a same sex couple was like, well all right then, got married, there was a lawsuit of some kind and the courts decided that yeah, the law did not prevent it

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Supreme Court just agreed to hear the prop8 case: http://www.prop8trialtracker.com/2012/12/07/breaking-supreme-court-decides-to-review-prop-8-doma-cases/

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Oh poo poo. Here we go.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

ultramiraculous posted:

Oh poo poo. Here we go.

By which you mean, here we wait for a few months?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Notable part of the grant: they did add standing questions to the QPs, so if there's a desire to punt for whatever reason and not get to the merits, that option is left in.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

silvergoose posted:

Exactly. Plus this is the less interesting one. Any word on the DOMA case?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Patter Song posted:

They're reviewing those as well: http://livewire.talkingpointsmemo.com/entry/supreme-court-to-take-up-gay-marriage-cases

They have also given themselves ways to get out of having to decide:

quote:

In Windsor, the government petition (12-307) is the one granted. In addition to the petition question -- whether Sec. 3 of DOMA violates equal protection under 5th Amendment, there are two other questions: does the fact that government agreed with the 2d CA decision deprive the Court of jurisdiction to hear and decide the case, and whether BLAG (House GOP leaders) has Art. III standing in this case.

In case you're wondering why it says 5th Amendment: the 14th Amendment only requires states to apply equal protection. It doesn't apply to the Federal Government. So the Supreme Court simply read an equal protection requirement into the due process requirement of the 5th to apply against the Federal government.

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Dec 7, 2012

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Patter Song posted:

They're apparently looking at the Windsor case on Section 3.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

The plot thickens. With Prop 8 a decision upholding the 9th's very, very narrow rationale is likely, but the Court can't hide on DOMA.

Edit: or they say Boehner et al. don't have standing and hide on DOMA anyway.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 7, 2012

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

silvergoose posted:

Hurry up and wait.

Fake edite: they're taking the DOMA case too. Scotusblog is doing a live blog right now. Live Blog

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Patter Song posted:

The plot thickens. With Prop 8 a decision upholding the 9th's very, very narrow rationale is likely, but the Court can't hide on DOMA.

Actually as I edited in, they've given themselves an out: they can rule there's no case or controversy (because the United States agrees with the 2nd Circuit since the DOJ ceased defending the law) and the House group doesn't have standing. That would leave the 2nd Circuit judgment intact without getting to the merits of the case.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
I think there is a very high chance that the Supreme Court will use these cases to effectively legalize gay marriage nationwide, and that it will be a 5-4 or a 6-3 decision by Justice Kennedy.

You guys are focusing too much on the opinions below in the specific cases granted. Anthony Kennedy couldn't give less of a poo poo what Judge Reinhardt did in the 9th, this is going to be his capstone opinion with his special form of jurisprudence.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

jeffersonlives posted:

I think there is a very high chance that the Supreme Court will use these cases to effectively legalize gay marriage nationwide, and that it will be a 5-4 or a 6-3 decision by Justice Kennedy.

Gay marriage is good for business, and most of the conservatives on the court right now are more the "Corporations are people" conservatives rather than the "the bible says" conservatives.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

jeffersonlives posted:

You guys are focusing too much on the opinions below in the specific cases granted. Anthony Kennedy couldn't give less of a poo poo what Judge Reinhardt did in the 9th, this is going to be his capstone opinion with his special form of jurisprudence.

Man, I hope so. Color me skeptical for now, though.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Red_Mage posted:

Gay marriage is good for business, and most of the conservatives on the court right now are more the "Corporations are people" conservatives rather than the "the bible says" conservatives.

Kennedy is strongly libertarian and has been writing pro-gay decisions for decades. This is one of those subjects Kennedy's solidly with the liberal bloc on.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Lyle on the Scotusblog thinks the marriage cases will be heard in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

The tell that the pro-gay marriage side was the side that pushed to get the grant here was that Windsor (the New York DOMA case) got granted over Gill (the Massachusetts DOMA case). The only plausible reason to do that was to avoid a 4-4 deadlock because Gill would have probably resulted in Justice Kagan's recusal. The side that wants to avoid the deadlock is the side that has that justice.

• Locked thread