Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Alter Ego posted:

You can't tell me it wouldn't be hilarious to see Ashley Judd beat that turtlefaced pain-in-the-rear end.

It'll never happen, but it would be completely hilarious.

It's scary that spending the last four years trying to sabotage the recovery out of spite is not enough to get people to stop voting Republican.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Dr Christmas posted:

It's scary that spending the last four years trying to sabotage the recovery out of spite is not enough to get people to stop voting Republican.

Political affiliation is more akin to team loyalty than something you seriously think about for many, many people.

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Kinky Freidman might run for Governor of Texas again in 2014.

Kinky Freidman would be such an improvement over Perry that it's not even funny. I REALLY hope he runs, I'd vote for him in a heartbeat.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

watt par posted:

And we already got his campaign slogan.

That was his campaign slogan the last time he ran :ssh:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

fade5 posted:

an improvement over Perry.

This is the text that appears in the dictionary as an example for the entry "faint praise".

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

That was his campaign slogan the last time he ran :ssh:

That's what I get for being in a coma back then.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

watt par posted:

That's what I get for being in a coma back then.

A metaphorical coma, or a literal coma?

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

Joementum posted:

Kinky Freidman might run for Governor of Texas again in 2014.

If Kinky Friedman won, as an independent, it would shake up the state something fierce. For fifteen years Perry has run this state into the ground and put up all sorts of assholes in prominent and important positions. I have unusually high levels of confidence that Friedman could turn this state around. Even if it was just education, which is getting abysmal, it would be a godsend.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
To look a little closer at Judd:

Wikipedia posted:

Ashley was born as Ashley Tyler Ciminella in Granada Hills, California. She is the daughter of Naomi Judd, a country music singer and motivational speaker, and Michael Charles Ciminella, a marketing analyst for the horseracing industry

I really know nothing about the woman herself (and, not to be conflated as the same thing, I haven't seen any of her movies either), but that's a house that could raise one hell of a sharp politician. Looking over Wikipedia's synopsis I am immediately drawn to this bit:

Wikipedia posted:

In 2008, Judd supported Barack Obama's presidential campaign. In 2009, she appeared in a one-minute video advertisement for the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund, in which Judd condemned Alaska governor Sarah Palin for supporting aerial wolf hunting.[30] In response, Palin stated the reason these wolves are killed is to protect the caribou population in Alaska, and she called the Defenders of Wildlife Action Fund an "extreme fringe group".

I'll vote for anyone who has already been called an extremist by Sarah Palin.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Judd will be playing the FLOTUS in a movie coming out next month where President Aaron Eckhart is kidnapped by terrorists inside the White House.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Joementum posted:

Judd will be playing the FLOTUS in a movie coming out next month where President Aaron Eckhart is kidnapped by terrorists inside the White House.

And manly bad dudes have to rescue him. And then he eats a burger. Of which the bad dudes get NONE.

gently caress you President Eckhart. :smith:

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine

Kentucky has a decent bench. The Governor, LG, AG, Sec. of State, Auditor, and Treasurer are all Dems. The Sec. of State is a young female and would be drat near perfect in contrast to Turtley Turtleman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alison_Lundergan_Grimes

Whose idea is it to waste time on this crap? And I thought "Hollywood Liberal" was just some boogeyman term. Please don't tell me the DNC believes it's a positive. She may have a compelling bio, but she's an easy target.

Gen. Ripper posted:

And manly bad dudes have to rescue him. And then he eats a burger. Of which the bad dudes get NONE.

gently caress you President Eckhart. :smith:

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Feb 26, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Cheekio posted:

I'll vote for anyone who has already been called an extremist by Sarah Palin.

I don't know, I'm not sure anyone who dated Wesley Crusher is a good choice. I mean really.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Didn't someone post about a poll where, despite losing, she was losing less than one would expect considering she's done no campaigning? Maybe there is hope :unsmith:

I just can't imagine people getting excited about Mitch McConnell. I've never actually heard anyone say anything about him.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Dr Christmas posted:

Didn't someone post about a poll where, despite losing, she was losing less than one would expect considering she's done no campaigning? Maybe there is hope :unsmith:

I just can't imagine people getting excited about Mitch McConnell. I've never actually heard anyone say anything about him.

He will have a bajilion Rove Bux behind him and an Obama to stick to Judd like glue.

They may elect state-level Dems, but I think anyone that's not got a reputation as being independent from Obama and "Sticking Up For Kentucky" ala every Dem that wins in West Virginia is toast. Judd is just too well-defined by stereotypes already.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

De Nomolos posted:

He will have a bajilion Rove Bux behind him and an Obama to stick to Judd like glue.

They may elect state-level Dems, but I think anyone that's not got a reputation as being independent from Obama and "Sticking Up For Kentucky" ala every Dem that wins in West Virginia is toast. Judd is just too well-defined by stereotypes already.

At some point, we have to turn those stereotypes around and own them.

Here's the poll:

quote:

After back-to-back rough polls for Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, a former aide to the Kentuckian released a survey Wednesday showing McConnell with a sizable lead over actress Ashley Judd.

McConnell leads Judd, 49 percent to 40 percent, in the poll from Harper Polling and RunSwitch PR.

The pair is tied among female voters at 44 percent, with McConnell cracking open a huge, 18-point advantage among men. McConnell isn’t beloved in his home state — 44 percent have a favorable opinion of the longtime senator and 46 percent have an unfavorable opinion. But Judd is even less popular, with 35 percent to 45 percent split on favorability.

Scott Jennings, who worked on McConnell’s successful 2002 election, is a partner at RunSwitch. The poll results were released to WHAS11 in Louisville.

A Louisville Courier-Journal poll last month found only 17 percent of Kentucky voters were definitely going to vote to reelect their senator in 2014, and one-third were definitely voting for someone else. A December survey from Public Policy Polling, a Democratic firm, found McConnell was the least popular senator in the country. McConnell aides attacked the methodology of both polls, and neither tested a head-to-head matchup with Judd.

Judd is the most frequently mentioned potential Democratic challenger for McConnell, and she’s consider enough of a threat that American Crossroads put together a Web ad attacking her. The poll tested a number of lines from the attack ad, and found after learning Judd now lives in Tennessee, 40 of voters said they were less likely to support her. After learning of her support for President Barack Obama, 48 percent were less likely to support her.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2013/02/poll-mcconnell-leads-judd-87631.html#ixzz2LyjkF7sI

For a pre-campaign poll released by McConnell those are actually really good numbers for her I think.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 26, 2013

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

At some point, we have to turn those stereotypes around and own them.

That's a phrase I hear in some form or another on liberal blogs, but saying that and getting constituencies that vote GOP out of cultural reasons to be compelled to come to your side because of irresistible progressive policies and hard work is something that I personally, being from a similar area, find a little naive. The national Dem coalition isn't built for rural people, sadly. It's built for the booming demographics of minority and recent immigrant groups along with urban liberals.

And even if you have what you think is an irresistible message, the Democratic infrastructure in places like this is still built on local politicos who are more conservative. If they weren't there would be no party. Case in point: WV still has a Democratic Party because of this independence, but neighboring VA, with its center of power in Northern VA, can hardly find anyone to run for seats outside of NoVA, unless they are literally insane. The guy that ran for my home seat last year once wrote a column where he seemingly insinuated that the GOP was run by Dark Wizards.

Long story short: Kentucky, due to its character, doesn't have the liberal infrastructure to elect someone from Hollywood.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Judd is just too well-defined by stereotypes already.

Quite well defined in fact.

edit: So I guess I'm saying she should go up against Andy Barr.

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Feb 26, 2013

Simulated
Sep 28, 2001
Lowtax giveth, and Lowtax taketh away.
College Slice

De Nomolos posted:

That's a phrase I hear in some form or another on liberal blogs, but saying that and getting constituencies that vote GOP out of cultural reasons to be compelled to come to your side because of irresistible progressive policies and hard work is something that I personally, being from a similar area, find a little naive. The national Dem coalition isn't built for rural people, sadly. It's built for the booming demographics of minority and recent immigrant groups along with urban liberals.

And even if you have what you think is an irresistible message, the Democratic infrastructure in places like this is still built on local politicos who are more conservative. If they weren't there would be no party. Case in point: WV still has a Democratic Party because of this independence, but neighboring VA, with its center of power in Northern VA, can hardly find anyone to run for seats outside of NoVA, unless they are literally insane. The guy that ran for my home seat last year once wrote a column where he seemingly insinuated that the GOP was run by Dark Wizards.

Long story short: Kentucky, due to its character, doesn't have the liberal infrastructure to elect someone from Hollywood.

Conservative men love hot chicks; many will vote for the home town hottie and despite doing so for the wrong reasons we should unabashedly take advantage of that. Plus everyone loves old fashioned campaigning, like showing up to local sporting events and lots of "rah rah I'll fight for our interests, not Washington politics".

Besides, she's the best chance dems have of knocking old turtle face out of his seat; the national party should give her a big fist full of cash if she runs.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Ender.uNF posted:

Besides, she's the best chance dems have of knocking old turtle face out of his seat; the national party should give her a big fist full of cash if she runs.

What are the downsides of Grimes? Lack of celebrity recognition?

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Isn't Mitch getting primaried too? That could easily tip the scales for Judd if it's protracted enough.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Brigadier Sockface posted:

What are the downsides of Grimes? Lack of celebrity recognition?

Secretary of State is a good stepping stone but straight to Senate may be harder without better name recognition. That'd be my speculation anyways.

She or Judd seriously needs to get rid of Andy Barr.

POTUShead
Sep 23, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Quite well defined in fact.

edit: So I guess I'm saying she should go up against Andy Barr.
How do you mean?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

POTUShead posted:

How do you mean?

This makes no sense if you are not from Kentucky, but being the de-facto head of the University of Kentucky Men's Basketball Boosters is roughly the equivalent of being touched by the left hand of God around here.

McConnell will have a hard time making "out of touch" or "Hollywood" stick to her, especially when he himself is a poo poo-eating Cardinals fan.

And yes, that is immensely stupid; welcome to KY politics.

Old Kentucky Shark fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Feb 27, 2013

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
But check out this Slatepitch: Judd doing poorly with women because they think she's too hot. Maybe this is a thing that doesn't exist. Who cares. Let's just throw ideas at the wall indefinitely because we have 24 hours of news to cycle through.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

menino posted:

But check out this Slatepitch: Judd doing poorly with women because they think she's too hot. Maybe this is a thing that doesn't exist. Who cares. Let's just throw ideas at the wall indefinitely because we have 24 hours of news to cycle through.

I thought Slate's gimmick was just writing contrarian or "controversial" poo poo

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

POTUShead posted:

How do you mean?

Judd is an alumnus of the University of Kentucky whose claim to fame is its basketball program. Judd has always been a huge supporter of UK athletics and to this day is seen in the student section at home games. Attacks on her residency are going to fall flat because everyone in the state sees her in Lexington on TV regularly.

Andy Barr is the house representative for Lexington (UK) and the surrounding area. He defeated two term blue dog democrat Ben Chandler (son of a two time governor and senator). Barr's first vote in congress was against Sandy relief.

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

menino posted:

Grimes can surround herself with the right kind of women:

I mean, honestly it's smart for them to keep the best parts of their bench at home. We can get the Senate seats elsewhere. In the Senate, a Rand Paul type is a nuisance. Letting any Republican like him ever win Attorney General or Governor is a travesty.

At least one guy on the ground says neither Grimes or Judd will run:
http://wfpl.org/post/who-runs-against-mcconnell-2014-not-judd-or-grimes-stumbo-says

I don't get why Beshear wouldn't be the likely choice. It's his final term, it would get his LG into place as the successor, and he's pretty popular. Maybe he just doesn't want to move.

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

This makes no sense if you are not from Kentucky, but being the de-facto head of the University of Kentucky Men's Basketball Boosters is roughly the equivalent of being touched by the left hand of God around here.

If Lynn Swann can get crushed as badly in Pennsylvania as he did running for governor in 2006, being an iconic player from a team half the state would die for, then the sports thing may not hold up after all.

De Nomolos fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 27, 2013

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
I think Grimey has the right idea. Any reason as to why she won so handily against Johnson and how this would translate to a state-wide Senatorial race?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

De Nomolos posted:

I don't get why Beshear wouldn't be the likely choice. It's his final term, it would get his LG into place as the successor, and he's pretty popular. Maybe he just doesn't want to move.
He might feel that Tea-muppet Rand Paul will be an easier target by 2016 than McConnell is now. He might be right.

quote:

If Lynn Swann can get crushed as badly in Pennsylvania as he did running for governor in 2006, being an iconic player from a team half the state would die for, then the sports thing may not hold up after all.
No one's saying that she's a shoe-in, we're saying that these specific attacks (out of touch, Hollywood celebrity) won't play against her because most of the population thinks of her as "our celebrity".

The part where she's hyper-liberal and has little job experience, now, those are good attacks.

menino posted:

I think Grimey has the right idea. Any reason as to why she won so handily against Johnson and how this would translate to a state-wide Senatorial race?
She had really good messaging -- the grandmother ad was just right for this state - and she's very clued into the local political machinery; she's the daughter of the former chairman of the state DNC from back when. There's a reason it was Alison Lundergan Grimes in all the ads, and not Alison Grimes.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Ender.uNF posted:

It would require much less money from Democratic monied interests to pose a challenge to McConnell via Judd than for Republican monied interests to guarantee a victory against Judd via McConnell, and for that reason alone it may be worth it for her to run.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Bloomberg-backed Robin Kelly has won the special election (Dem primary) replace Jesse Jackson Jr in IL-2.

Misandrist Duck fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 27, 2013

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Misandrist Duck posted:

Bloomberg-backed Robin Kelly has won the special election (Dem primary) replace Jesse Jackson Jr in IL-2.

I pretty much despise Mike Bloomberg but if he's going to make any democrat with an A rating from the NRA an endangered species I can live with that.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I pretty much despise Mike Bloomberg but if he's going to make any democrat with an A rating from the NRA an endangered species I can live with that.

Ergh, if he does that say goodbye to all the gains in the West. Do we really need a gun litmus test? I just don't see what's wrong about a Schweitzer or a Biden stance on guns outside major cities.

Though you're probably right by proxy because the NRA will shortly make being a Democrat an auto-F anyway.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Adar posted:

Ergh, if he does that say goodbye to all the gains in the West. Do we really need a gun litmus test? I just don't see what's wrong about a Schweitzer or a Biden stance on guns outside major cities.

Though you're probably right by proxy because the NRA will shortly make being a Democrat an auto-F anyway.

Demographics in the west are on the democrats side anyway in states like Colorado, New Mexico and Nevada, they don't need to cowtow to the NRA.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

If only all districts were in inner cities that suffer from gun violence.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

computer parts posted:

Constitutionally protected gun violence thank you very much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

computer parts posted:

By playing this this in primaries, you're moving the party to the left. Just look how terrified so called "mainstream" republican senators and house members are of being primaried by some crazy tea bagger with tons of Koch money, there is no equivalent on the left other than maybe this bloomberg group.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

mcmagic posted:

By playing this this in primaries, you're moving the party to the left. Just look how terrified so called "mainstream" republican senators and house members are of being primaried by some crazy tea bagger with tons of Koch money, there is no equivalent on the left other than maybe this bloomberg group.

This was literally the easiest primary in the world to work this issue, I would be more surprised if it failed to be honest. Tell me when someone like this guy gets primaried for his gun issues and maybe you'll have an argument.

(and yes, the fact that gun issues don't appear on his page is the point, he still has an A rating from the NRA and no one cares)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Oh god please don't gun derail in this thread too

• Locked thread