Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

GanjamonII posted:

Thanks, I will try do it this week.

Quick question on compression testing. From a quick google on how to do this (for a car) it seems I need to interrupt spark to both cylinders, then test each cylinder separately. However the bike is going to keep dumping gas into the cylinders right? Does that matter for this purpose? Or do I need to disable the injectors also?

You do need to remove the plugs for the compression test, so that eliminates spark and combustion.

I've done the test with no carbs on the bike, with carbs and throttle wide open. Can't remember if I've done the test with the fuel line connected. Sort of doubt that a compression test would "flood" the cylinder anymore than having to use the starter a couple times, say in cold weather. In both cases, the motor only turns a few times, not really enough to overload with fuel. With the plugs out, the non-test cylinders won't have much pull to bring in fuel anyway.

So remove all plugs, maybe shut off the petcock. Then have at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You screw the compression tester in the spark plug hole, so there's no need to "interrupt" the spark. Just take out the plugs.

And a small amount of gas shouldn't matter, no, but you only need to crank for a second or two to get a reading. Don't sit there spinning it around for no reason and you won't have any problems. Keeping the petcock closed should help.

e: argh

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
With the plugs off, the extra fuel will evaporate into the atmosphere fairly quickly. Poor polar bears...

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So I've been riding this 06 GSXR750 for the past week now and have set the suspension up correctly since it was all over the place before - my friend who actually owns the bike really doesn't know much about how bikes SHOULD handle/ride/whatever. I don't really like the seating position or ergonomics but it at least turns in correctly now.

It's got an intermittent FI light going on for the TPS - when the light is off the bike pulls like a freight train and the front end lifts off pure acceleration when pinning out 1st gear but it'll shoot two foot long blue flames when rolling on and off the throttle at revs over 6k or when dropping through the gears coming to a stop. If the light is on then the bike is a tiny bit less powerful but doesn't shoot any flames. It'll hesitate on the throttle momentarily.

The bike idles high in gear but in neutral it idles correctly.

Will replacing the TPS fix all this poo poo or is there more poo poo likely involved?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
^^^ Did he override the clutch switch and is it constantly in the neutral map? Otherwise, pull the code and figure out what it says.

You need to have an unrestricted flow into the intake, so if you can't open the butterflies manually, you'll need to remove the throttle bodies. Crank it until the compression stops going up, do it with both plugs out, and a good battery.

No concerns about fuel either - it doesn't inject enough and each cycle it will push out the unburnt gas into the exhaust on the exhaust stroke.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

^^^ Did he override the clutch switch and is it constantly in the neutral map? Otherwise, pull the code and figure out what it says.

You need to have an unrestricted flow into the intake, so if you can't open the butterflies manually, you'll need to remove the throttle bodies. Crank it until the compression stops going up, do it with both plugs out, and a good battery.

No concerns about fuel either - it doesn't inject enough and each cycle it will push out the unburnt gas into the exhaust on the exhaust stroke.

I overrode the clutch switch because it broke. I use a paper clip in the plug to start the bike and remove it once the bike is started.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

I overrode the clutch switch because it broke. I use a paper clip in the plug to start the bike and remove it once the bike is started.

Have you done the TPS adjustment?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Yeah, it sits at the top line. I'm swapping in a spare set of TBs/injectors/TPS tomorrow morning before I head off to work.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

JP Money posted:

You're sure they said (and meant) swing arm and not the rear wheel right? Wheel bearings can go bad and let the wheel have some play which may be what they mean. I feel like that's more common than pivot bearings / bushings going bad...

If you do want to do it yourself you can get a ladder and use ratchet straps to suspend the rear of the bike while you work.

Yeah it's definitely the swing arm. At least that's what he's written in the notes.

I'm going to take it up to the local bike shop and see what they think - they do race prep for track says so hopefully have some idea what they're doing.

I had it serviced at the place I bought it from because it was free. I'm thinking that perhaps they might have been a bit overly thorough to try and squeeze a bit of extra cash out of me :tinfoil:

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What's a good pair of tires for a ninja 250? I'm checking out an otherwise good condition ninja tonight that just needs new tires, and I'd like to know how much a pain in the rear end/expensive changing out the tires would be before making the decision. The size is 100/80-16 front and 130/80-16 rear. I could always get the OEM ones, but I was just wondering if there's anything else that goons recommend.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When I was looking for an '09 it was between Pirelli Demons for stickyness or Bridgestone BT-something dual compounds. Considering how the bike rides well on the crap tires it has on now, the Diablos are probably overkill for a new rider. Even though I wanted to have fun with the bike I was gonna get the dual compounds cause they should do enough for the street and won't wear out so quickly.

BT45 maybe.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Figure around 250-300 to have a shop swap the tires. Less if you want to struggle over it yourself. As nsaP says, the Diablos or the BT45s are both good options.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

nsaP posted:

When I was looking for an '09 it was between Pirelli Demons for stickyness or Bridgestone BT-something dual compounds. Considering how the bike rides well on the crap tires it has on now, the Diablos are probably overkill for a new rider. Even though I wanted to have fun with the bike I was gonna get the dual compounds cause they should do enough for the street and won't wear out so quickly.

BT45 maybe.

Sport demons are nice. The BT45's are a little wooden feeling. (I've had two sets on two different bikes, same story..) Avon roadriders are still the best tires for non supersport wheels I've ridden. And they're cheap.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Z3n posted:

Figure around 250-300 to have a shop swap the tires.

Is that with the tire cost included?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

All in, ride in, ride out.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks! That's pretty good, so hopefully this bike's not a flop like the last 3 I've seen this week.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
Anyone got any suggestions for a more effective sun visor? Dunno if you can replace them or put a film over them or what, but today I ended up driving eastbound on a road that seemed to have been aligned by the Mayans to loving kill motorcyclists when the sun was setting. Was completely blinded for good mile-long stretches of road, and given it's a typically twisty Scottish A-Road that really wasn't fun. I lie it was awesome. In retrospect.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

Anyone got any suggestions for a more effective sun visor? Dunno if you can replace them or put a film over them or what, but today I ended up driving eastbound on a road that seemed to have been aligned by the Mayans to loving kill motorcyclists when the sun was setting. Was completely blinded for good mile-long stretches of road, and given it's a typically twisty Scottish A-Road that really wasn't fun. I lie it was awesome. In retrospect.

Look down, use the top of your helmet to shade your eyes.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Line of electrical tape across the top of the visor. Or a dark smoke.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

^Cheers. Cheeky wee joint under the helmet it is.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Look down, use the top of your helmet to shade your eyes.

I did that, with barely any improvement, it was proper 70's overexposed movie film poo poo. Will try that next time before I go about modifying the visor though, cheers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Wootcannon posted:

^Cheers. Cheeky wee joint under the helmet it is.

I did that, with barely any improvement, it was proper 70's overexposed movie film poo poo. Will try that next time before I go about modifying the visor though, cheers.

Bear in mind that visors that block more that 10% of the light from going through are illegal - however sunglasses, internal visors and even these are perfectly legal (even though two of those three can't be removed on the go if you go into a tunnel or even deep shadow).

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bear in mind that visors that block more that 10% of the light from going through are illegal - however sunglasses, internal visors and even these are perfectly legal (even though two of those three can't be removed on the go if you go into a tunnel or even deep shadow).

What the hell is the point of that? Cars I can understand but you can't hide a weapon in your face. I imagine wearing a mask under a helmet isn't illegal so it's not good for ID purposes either.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Get a helmet with flip down sun shades and a dark smoke visor. That'll kill most of it. If it's not enough, put the electrical tape across the top and keep your head down.

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Halo_4am posted:

What the hell is the point of that? Cars I can understand but you can't hide a weapon in your face. I imagine wearing a mask under a helmet isn't illegal so it's not good for ID purposes either.

It's not about hiding things, it's about safety. Same reason flip-down visors and sunglasses are legal in cars - it's easy to get them out of the way when you need full visibility, like at night or in fog. You can't go peeling off the tint film at night and putting it back on in the morning, however.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Halo_4am posted:

It's a long journey but everywhere in Europe it's mandatory to wear a crash helmet. The crash helmet must carry a CE (or equivalent) mark to be legally considered a crash helmet. Any removable accessory to the helmet (such as a visor) must also be CE-marked - and finally, visors are considered, for CE certification, to be equivalent to car windscreens (and so must be shatterproof, capable of absorbing x joules of energy, and be optically correct (distort the image by less than y <however they measure these things> and transmit at least 90% of the light that strikes them.

So a visor that blocks 11% of the light that hits it is not CE-marked, which means that any helmet it's attached to is not CE-marked, which means it's illegal to wear it on the road.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

My friend's '04 Ninja 250 is having a ton of problems and I can't diagnose it over the Internet but hopefully one of you magical wizards can!

Friend posted:

Cranks but won't start, even with a jump. When it does run, battery is charging and staying charged. Plugs are fine and new-- getting spark. Bike reeked of gas when it did run, for like a day, mind you. Was running fine, then just died on the side of the road-- just stopped revving and died. Dash lights work. Headlights work. Starter works, brake lights work, and I get spark. It was fully warmed up, too. I think it's flooding out because it's too rich but I'm not too certain.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Stuck float(s) maybe.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

What tires would you guys recommend for my CBR 600 F3? I commute every day, but I also enjoy the twisties. The previous owner had put Pirelli Diablos (if I'm remembering correctly) on it, and they're worn to the point that I'm ready for new ones. Plus, the rear has developed a leak and I found it flat this morning.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Any sport touring tire will do you fine.

Xovaan - is it out of gas.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Wootcannon posted:

I find my rose-tint visor works way better than a smoke visor, can't see poo poo at night though.

e: I just carry a clear one in my tank bag.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Z3n posted:

Xovaan - is it out of gas.

Has gas. Has been acting pretty poorly the last few weeks and has needed a jump every startup and now it just won't start. If he's getting spark, has a new battery, and the engine has compression, the only thing I can think of is that he's running ultra pig rich and flooding it every time he tries to start it. If it reeks of fuel it's a stuck float, which is what I suggested to him today. I think he just needs to get a carb rebuild kit if he can't secure this KLR for $600 + his bike.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What the christ was wrong with my speedo today?

K3 sv650, digital speedo obviously. Leaving work, for the first few minutes the speedo would occasionally just cut out and display zero or 3-5km/h before abruptly shooting back up to the real speed. At one stage I went a full ten seconds with the speedo reading at or near zero, despite my travelling at normal speeds. After the first kilometer or so it went away and it worked perfectly the rest of the way home.

Anyone experienced this before?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Check the wiring, maybe?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Odette posted:

Check the wiring, maybe?

Could also be water or other gunk getting into the speed sensor (if it's on the front wheel).

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Slavvy posted:

K3 sv650, digital speedo obviously. Leaving work, for the first few minutes the speedo would occasionally just cut out and display zero or 3-5km/h before abruptly shooting back up to the real speed. At one stage I went a full ten seconds with the speedo reading at or near zero, despite my travelling at normal speeds. After the first kilometer or so it went away and it worked perfectly the rest of the way home.

Is it an electronic speedo or a cable-driven one? If the latter, the cable may have frayed or severed in a way that catches sometimes to show speed readout. v0v

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Slavvy posted:

Battery on the verge of dying - or a loose connection w/ your battery?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If I move to Houston, will there be any good riding roads, or will I be better off selling my supermoto and darksiding a Goldwing for all the straight, flat superslabbing I'll be doing?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Safety Dance posted:

If I move to Houston, will there be any good riding roads, or will I be better off selling my supermoto and darksiding a Goldwing for all the straight, flat superslabbing I'll be doing?

If you do there are some roads out here to the west of houston. Not sure about others. Expect some big sweepers and stuff since the good roads are mostly between farmland. There are some nicer roads out towards Austin when the terrain livens up a bit.

Visit Motohouston.com, they're decent forums with bike meets and such scheduled. There's a large track following down here so expect to get into that. ECR is a popular tighter track, GSS was a kart track basically but SUPER popular for supermoto until the owner got a little sketchy and from what I hear doesn't allow riding there anymore (I could be wrong on this). Other than that there's MSRH and TWS both very close to Houston.

A trip down to the hill country by San Antonio is a MUST. I've never had more fun on a motorcycle. I took the DRZ down there and absolutely demolished the hills. So much fun.

Barring that, sell your supermoto to me.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Okay. My mental image of Texas is effectively a flat, featureless plain. Good to know I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I've posted this before, but this road owns, http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/555/Texas/The-Three-Sisters-%28AKA-The-Twisted-Sisters%29--Ranch-Roads-335-336337a.html
Kinda a drive from Houston, but I think more and more Austin goons are coming out of the wood work, and we should be able to find some place for you to crash once and a while.