Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SurrealityCheck
Sep 15, 2012

Brother None posted:

we're not changing our target values. If a stretch goal has already been hit, we'll announce it as already hit. It'd be dickish to push them up. We've already hit one, and are pretty close to the next.

If you can't think of higher stretch goals, just add one giraffe NPC per 100,000. That's the kind of incentive I'm looking for here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

coffeetable posted:

Something not enough people know about KotOR2 is that it was made in 9 months.

It was also being made under the assumption that they'd have much more time than that. I'm sure the game would have turned out differently if they'd known before they started exactly how much time they were ultimately given.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Brother None posted:

we're not changing our target values. If a stretch goal has already been hit, we'll announce it as already hit. It'd be dickish to push them up. We've already hit one, and are pretty close to the next.

Heh, I was half joking, but that's great to hear.

Sputnik
Jul 21, 2003

I felt like a ninja, and my kung-fu was strong.

Brother None posted:

It is really awesome to know that you're treating stretch goals as finite financial targets, and not "moving targets to entice suckers." It's the sort of integrity that I expected to see from inXile :)

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Kickstarter goes up while I sleep, nearly doubles the goal before I wake up. This is a good morning.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

SurrealityCheck posted:

If you can't think of higher stretch goals, just add one giraffe NPC per 100,000. That's the kind of incentive I'm looking for here.

At $5 million, we will get MCA's freaky thumb fixed.

Nah but seriously, we got a lineup of great writers, additional content and enhancements (like 2D) lined up. The very core of this project was based on modular design so we were flexible both for Kickstarter and for when WL2's profits start rolling in, that'll hopefully pay off here.

DMW45
Oct 29, 2011

Come into my parlor~
Said the spider to the fly~
So, I threw $45 at this because I wasn't aware of Kickstarter when Wasteland 2 was doing it's thing and it was a deal. Looks neat.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh man this looks good, though I'm going to wait till the last day or so to throw in my pledge (they've already hit their minimum, so it's all good). I see they're leaning towards RTwP, I really hope that's the way they end up going, Wasteland 2 being turn-based is what held me off from pledging it.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Stretch goal idea: over fifteen years later, finally fulfil the promise from Planescape: Torment's vision statement:

Because I'm pretty sure in that game I hardly even got to first base :reject:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I hope they axe the "Tides of Numenera" part of the title. It just feels so generic fantasy.

NihilCredo posted:

Stretch goal idea: over fifteen years later, finally fulfil the promise from Planescape: Torment's vision statement:

Because I'm pretty sure in that game I hardly even got to first base :reject:
You could certainly get to first base with Annah

Lord Lambeth fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Mar 7, 2013

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
I literally beat Planescape: Torment for the first time last night and then I see this kickstarter pop up. Coincidence? I think not.

Down for $75.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lord Lambeth posted:

I hope they axe the "Tides of Numenera" part of the title. It just feels so generic fantasy.

You could certainly get to first base with Annah
With Annah, or with Ravel shapeshifted as Annah? I remember the latter but not the former.

Also, I think we should all call this game Tides of Numa Numa. It is a throwback to past glories, after all.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

NihilCredo posted:

With Annah, or with Ravel shapeshifted as Annah? I remember the latter but not the former.

Also, I think we should all call this game Tides of Numa Numa. It is a throwback to past glories, after all.

Numa Numa is what kills me about the name. DAMNIT.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man. I was so worried that this game would be hurt by Kickstarter fatigue or general wariness or... something, anything. Shine on, inXile.

NihilCredo posted:

You don't remember Annah's overheating problem?

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?
Ok, the Indigo Tides choice option is making me want to throw hundreds and hundreds of dollars at these guys, instead of just hundreds.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Fintilgin posted:

EDIT: Honestly, I think P:E looks like it's going to be more attractive then W2, although I suppose we still have yet to get a 'real' P:E screenshot.
Of course it'll be more attractive. One's a classic high fantasy setting, the other is literally named Wasteland.

Brother None posted:

At $5 million, we will get MCA's freaky thumb fixed.

Nah but seriously, we got a lineup of great writers, additional content and enhancements (like 2D) lined up. The very core of this project was based on modular design so we were flexible both for Kickstarter and for when WL2's profits start rolling in, that'll hopefully pay off here.
Yeah if WL2 sells well I don't think many Torment backers will mind delaying its release another 3-6 months to add additional content and polish.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
Update 2 is up

Appreciative bonus, stretch goals, housekeeping.

$1.2 million was the "gender choice at character creation". We passed it! So there you go!

Brother None fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Mar 7, 2013

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
They announced the stretch goals and honestly they don't seem too attractive. P:E's stretch goals were much better, and made a lot of people increase their pledges.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
First lot of stretch goals are pretty modest but still pretty cool.

quote:

$2.0 Million: Our initial plans for Torment included four possible companions for the player and at this Stretch Goal, we will be adding a fifth, which we’ve nicknamed “The Toy.”
The Toy is a changing ball of goo: Is it a pet, an abandoned toy, a dangerous weapon? Whatever it is, it responds to the way you treat it by changing its appearance and abilities to reflect what it perceives as your desires.
:staredog:

The extra content is also nice, more music, more storylines, more companions, more more more.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

Brother None posted:

Update 2 is up

$1.25 million was the "gender choice at character creation". We passed it! So there you go!

This is really exciting considering the reservations you had about gender choice and making it more than just cosmetic!

I'm super loving exciting about this and it makes me really really happy to see people backing up the old 'PS:T is the best RPG ever' stuff you see around the internet.

e: also I think the last $20 tier just went.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Brother None posted:

Update 2 is up

$1.25 million was the "gender choice at character creation". We passed it! So there you go!

I didn't really care about this stretch goal (I'm a woman) but it's nice to see! Looking forward to alpha now, and actually the rulebook download! :excited: Also, I love having someone from Inxile in this thread :)

Noricae fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 7, 2013

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

So Dak'kon's sword as a companion. :v:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I am a bit skeptical about Mur Lafferty being brought in as I think she is a terrible writer, but I am sure things will work out.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Anarkii posted:

They announced the stretch goals and honestly they don't seem too attractive. P:E's stretch goals were much better, and made a lot of people increase their pledges.

If I understand it right, they didn't have any stretch goals set up yet, so these were only just recently hashed out, yeah? If that's the case they seem like a pretty decent start. Maybe we'll start seeing [edit]more significant goals when they're hashed out.

Hey, think we could bring back Keith David?

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Mar 7, 2013

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004

Anarkii posted:

While I'm inclined to agree, I think this is a much harder thing to do with this type of game. P:E's stretch goals mostly dealt with increasing the types of classes, expanding the world in very specific ways (strongholds, cities, dungeons etc) and lots of "fluff". None of these things have much weight in a game that's going to be driven primarily by the narrative and dialogue options, so they would make poor carrots to dangle.

Of course one goal I would liked to have seen would be an orchestral soundtrack. Boy howdy do I love instrumentation in my video games.

Edit: I guess my idea for a goal was so good it already was one! :downs:

Sackmo fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Mar 7, 2013

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sackmo posted:

Of course one goal I would liked to have seen would be an orchestral soundtrack. Boy howdy do I love instrumentation in my video games.
That's part of the 2 mil goal.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Oasx posted:

I am a bit skeptical about Mur Lafferty being brought in as I think she is a terrible writer, but I am sure things will work out.

Haha, I winced a bit at the list of games there too, but then again Tony Evans has Dragon Age 2 listed so it's a tossup. Then again her new book is a Campbell nominee and I've rarely been let down by that award list in particular so.....

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Sackmo posted:

$2 million, man:

quote:

At this Stretch Goal, Mark Morgan will write more music for Torment to complement the additional game areas and content we will be adding. Furthermore, he will incorporate a live orchestra into his work. Of course, all of this new music will be automatically including in the soundtrack (digital or CD) for backers who are receiving that reward. We will also provide the soundtrack reward in the lossless FLAC format for those who desire it.

EDIT: I suck.

chiefnewo
May 21, 2007

Sackmo posted:

That's the $2M stretch goal along with Monte Cook writing.

edit: beaten by a country mile

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
I'm actually pretty happy with these stretch goals. They show where the game's priorities lie in a very obvious manner, and I do like that the gender stretch goal gives the impression of entirely different reactions to be had in playing a woman.

I do think once they hit 2 million they should focus more on adding more content to the actual game. New companions are probably the most appealing thing to me. New areas to explore would be amazing. I don't exactly know how player classes are going to work, but throwing in some more variety for different playstyles would appeal to a lot of people.

e: 1.5 mil hit. Hell yeah!

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just hit 1.5 :toot:

e: installing P:T to see what all the fuss is about

bef fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 7, 2013

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Didn't have as much money as I wanted to donate when WL2 was up so I went in for $275 here

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Would be cool if one of the pledges was for the old Wasteland 2 physical/collector's editions for the people that missed it, I bet that would land them some more cash (not that they need it.)

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
^^^ Sackmo: At $2 mil there's an orchestral soundtrack.

I am oddly fine with being able to have a stretch goal for the other gender. At first glance I was a bit leery, mainly because it really sounded exclusionary and anti feminist, but the game was a story created for one person. Adding a different person correctly takes a little more effort - especially if this game is as grand as it's being described.

I would rather they spend extra time / people in correctly writing a female gender rather than just adding '*wolf whistle*' or '<insert witty Seinfeld-ian observation about being a woman>' or whatever caricature that tends to happen more often than not. Hopefully Mur (I've only read Playing For Keeps, which was simple, but nice) or another female writer/editor can help lend her voice to creating an actual feminine (not stereotypical) character.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

bef posted:

There is a widescreen/custom resolution mod as well as a mod that fixes the UI/font for those resolutions if you don't want to play in 800x600 or whatever games released in back in the day. I think they're both at Spellhold, or easily googleable.

Page Downfall
May 5, 2009

Klyith posted:

That said, it's pretty much "reading a book: the game" and not for everyone. Don't bother to look for interesting combat tactics because there are none. Supposedly they'll do better for this one, which wouldn't be hard because it's impossible to be worse, but I would not give a poo poo if every combat was a 10 second rock-paper-scissors minigame if the writing is equal to the original.

I played a tabletop session where combat was handled by a RPS minigame. It was awesome.

People say this all the time but I think it unintentionally makes what's a really fun part of the game sound dull (why play a clunky game that's like a book when I can, you know, read a book?).

Think of it more like bringing back the non-combat side of pen and paper RPGs, wrapped up in an awesome well crafted story. I remember reading many years ago some article on a gaming site (I think it was about Neverwinter Nights) talking about how in a pen and paper RPG, you can have entire session with not much combat and have a great time, explore the world and characters, solving puzzles or whatever. In a computer RPG, the player get's bored if there's just 15min of non-combat sequences.

The text in PS:T is like taking all that cool character and world exploring, story telling side of RPGs and making it an exciting part of playing an RPG again on your computer.

Noricae
Nov 19, 2004

cheese?

Drifter posted:

I would rather they spend extra time / people in correctly writing a female gender rather than just adding '*wolf whistle*' or '<insert witty Seinfeld-ian observation about being a woman>' or whatever caricature that tends to happen more often than not. Hopefully Mur (I've only read Playing For Keeps, which was simple, but nice) or another female writer/editor can help lend her voice to creating an actual feminine (not stereotypical) character.
This is why I'm usually meh about adding in a female gender option in games that do not start out with one. If it's a gender neutral story it's one thing but I could do without the above, where female character options are there mostly for _guys_ to play so they can look at some pretty rear end. No thanks, put that money into story :/

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Fintilgin posted:

There is a widescreen/custom resolution mod as well as a mod that fixes the UI/font for those resolutions if you don't want to play in 800x600 or whatever games released in back in the day. I think they're both at Spellhold, or easily googleable.

oh jesus, god yes. I've just starting playing Mask of the Betrayer for the first time and just about died reading all the text before I found that wonderful text enlarger. Every game should have multiple text sizes. You would think it would be second nature for designers and programmers to future proof that poo poo, drat.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah I'm following the mod guide on GoG right now so I'll be good. I'm gonna be on a bus for 6~ hours every week so I figured its the perfect time to indulge in this.

\/\/ :)

bef fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bef posted:

Someone else briefly mentioned PST mods/fixes, but you should totally check out the GOG guide. It's pretty simple and painless, but that link is a nice single stop for download links and instructions.

EDIT: I should just stop posting in this thread. Jesus.

The Crotch fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 7, 2013

• Locked thread