Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Orv posted:

Ran into my first hacker a minute ago. Spawned 20 GMG Hunters on a a hill I was watching and shelled the spawn point.

Yeah they're out there.. can't wait till the dedicated server software to come out. The last few nights we've had way too many people wanting to play for our shite connections.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
The single player definitely seems promising. I want Milsim Grand Theft Auto/Far Cry 3 where I can spend the whole game blowing up Iranians (who are hopefully not still voiced like PFC. John 'Bubba' Wilson from Georgia) with lots of nifty gadgets while I follow some non-intrusive story about shitloads of Iranians everywhere for me to snipe from eight hundred meters away and maybe even a more Day-Z type survival system that you can turn on or off (see NV's Hardcore mechanic) that would require the player to go hunting or buddy up with locals to have enough supplies. There's really a potential for a hugely engrossing customizable single player open world experience here on top of all the multiplayer antics and modding potential.

Been trying out all the showcases but I think I am misunderstanding something with the Hunter GMG's optics. I can see the screen in front of me with the Picture in Picture but its very pixellated and hard to see anything at range. I've seen in images/previews a full-screen view where it's clear as day. How the hell do I get into that view? I've tried tapping right click like you use in infantry to use the full scope but it doesn't seem to work. Is my mapping hosed up or am I just missing the point entirely?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Chief Savage Man posted:

Been trying out all the showcases but I think I am misunderstanding something with the Hunter GMG's optics. I can see the screen in front of me with the Picture in Picture but its very pixellated and hard to see anything at range. I've seen in images/previews a full-screen view where it's clear as day. How the hell do I get into that view? I've tried tapping right click like you use in infantry to use the full scope but it doesn't seem to work. Is my mapping hosed up or am I just missing the point entirely?

Press your "Optics" key, the default is numpad 0 I think.

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule

Chief Savage Man posted:

Been trying out all the showcases but I think I am misunderstanding something with the Hunter GMG's optics. I can see the screen in front of me with the Picture in Picture but its very pixellated and hard to see anything at range. I've seen in images/previews a full-screen view where it's clear as day. How the hell do I get into that view?

I believe it's 0 on the numberpad by default. Bonus info: Once you're on the gun cam, press N to toggle between regular, nightvision and Black-HOT/White-HOT.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Thanks, will have to retry that showcase later, keep running out of ammo because I have to carpet bomb the general area of the enemy to kill them because I can't see anything with the optics.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Just bought this because I'm a schmuck who gives into goon hype. Having not played ARMA2 since only a few months after its release, I'm not looking forward to relearning all the old and new controls.

I am looking forward to going sightseeing and diving though! :haw:

Zylen
Mar 25, 2005

The third time, the exception becomes the rule

Chief Savage Man posted:

Thanks, will have to retry that showcase later, keep running out of ammo because I have to carpet bomb the general area of the enemy to kill them because I can't see anything with the optics.

One other thing for using the grenade launcher in that mission. Near your crosshair you will have a rangefinder, at the top right of the screen you will have the range you are zeroed in for - use page up and page down to adjust this so that your grenades land relatively on target.

8-Bit Dracula
Dec 31, 2007

Google Butt posted:

Try putting -nobenchmark -winxp in the steam launch options.

This works. Had -nobenchmark since before but the -winxp did it, whatever it is.

Thanks!

Orv
May 4, 2011
Finally scrape together enough money to get a wetsuit and a rebreather on a Wasteland server, drive a pickup truck into the ocean at 100KPH and swim to the air base, slowly rise up out of the water, take careful aim at the guy who has been camping the air base, and crash. :negative:

Orv fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Mar 10, 2013

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Orv posted:

Finally scrape together enough money to get a wetsuit and a rebreather on a Wasteland server, drive a pickup truck into the ocean at 100KPH and swim to the air base, slowly rise up out of the water, take careful aim at the guy who has been camping the air base, and crash. :negative:

Wasteland has many experiences like that. I like to think its about the journey, not the destination.

nub
Jul 20, 2009

Keep talking.
PSA: On three separate servers today, playing Wasteland, I drove off the roads into the wilder areas of the map, away from roads and buildings, and within 5 minutes each time I found a little bird. I guess helis are spawning like crazy but you have to leave the action to go find them.

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

That PVP was fun, the bug that makes you die before you spawn each time got old though.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

The best mission:

Blarfo
Jul 17, 2007

Orv posted:

Ran into my first hacker a minute ago. Spawned 20 GMG Hunters on a a hill I was watching and shelled the spawn point.

That's the only way you know it's a true Arma game.

Ra-amun
Feb 25, 2011

This game is great.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.
The only thing I'd blame DayZ on for plausibly ruining any Arma sequels is the new and hilarious trend of using security exploits to gently caress with the playerbase. I've been seeing scripting idiots from DayZ migrating to actual Arma servers and making the game unplayable. I'm hoping that maybe, someday, if the developers were feeling really ambitious- they could fix some of the horrible security exploits built into this game. Players SHOULD NOT be able to upload scripts to hosted servers.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

LP97S posted:

For everyone wanting to know their stance, there's a mod for it now. Needs CBA to work.

Are there any useful addons besides this and the ShacTac HUD? (these should go in the OP)

Any good missions made yet?

\/\/\/ Got a link to the GPS mod? That sounds like a good change.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 11, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Are there any useful addons besides this and the ShacTac HUD? (these should go in the OP)

Any good missions made yet?

There's a couple stance-indicator addons, and an addon to move the GPS window to the upper right, just under the ammo indicator. Having a stance indicator is really helpful.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Might be a dumb question, but can I just use the stance indicator mod and fireteam HUD when I play Wasteland, or is that something that only works in, say, CO-OP mission environments?

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Kraustofski posted:

The only thing I'd blame DayZ on for plausibly ruining any Arma sequels is the new and hilarious trend of using security exploits to gently caress with the playerbase. I've been seeing scripting idiots from DayZ migrating to actual Arma servers and making the game unplayable. I'm hoping that maybe, someday, if the developers were feeling really ambitious- they could fix some of the horrible security exploits built into this game. Players SHOULD NOT be able to upload scripts to hosted servers.
The problem is that much in the same way that Rocket said that the fundamental design of Real Virtuality 3 itself (the engine) and not just BattlEye (the anti-cheat) made Arma 2 irreparably vulnerable to exploits... as you said, built into this game, and unfortunately I'm guessing that it's not that much different in Arma 3 as of the alpha.

For what it's worth, the community manager's preferences for development as voiced in the weapon rest thread at the official forums:

Dwarden posted:

firing from vehicles is less important than weapon resting IMO
IMHO I myself view it with sort of this (from very important to least importance)
+for alpha
1. weapon resting on edges of static objects(both map and editor placed)/surfaces(terrain)/vehicles
2. weapon bipod,tripod etc deployment on surface/object (fixed point alike,stability)
+for beta
3. primary/secondary/throw weapon firing from fixed poses in vehicles (positions which allows it) (similar as shown by Dsly http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlN99dqNKy0 )
+nice to have (aka not gunna happen this generation of engine)
4. free roam inside vehicles, free fire etc (this is too complex and problematic)

as usually this comes w/o any warranty cause it's just part of my hitlist ;)
For goons not in the know, ever take a ride on the passenger seats of an AH-9/MH-9 in the alpha and wished that you could fire your assault rifle, machine gun, sniper rifle, even a pistol while airborne? The video is of an Arma 2 mod that allows just that.

kloa posted:

:staredog: I really want pedals now and a TrackIR.
Look for FreeTrack and FaceTrackNoIR as alternative, cheaper solutions for head-tracking.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
How do I get to the Optics mode when flying helicopter? The tutorial says Left Ctrl+Mouse 2, but that doesn't do anything. Neither did the button that I mapped for it.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Please put this in the OP for new people:

Addons:

Required - CBA: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18767

Tao Folding map: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18963
Enlarge compass and gps: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18944
Stance indicator: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19017
Weapon collision: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18796
ShackTac HUD: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18949

kloa fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Mar 11, 2013

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

How do I get to the Optics mode when flying helicopter? The tutorial says Left Ctrl+Mouse 2, but that doesn't do anything. Neither did the button that I mapped for it.

It didn't work because there isn't optics for the two helicopters, as it isn't necessary as they're pilot fired and aligned off their nose. Just use the crosshair

Orv
May 4, 2011

Badly Jester posted:

Might be a dumb question, but can I just use the stance indicator mod and fireteam HUD when I play Wasteland, or is that something that only works in, say, CO-OP mission environments?

Whenever you have mods active through Steam -mod=@ commands, any servers that disallow those mods will have the dot on the far left side of the browser red. If it's green, you're good to go.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Mederlock posted:

It didn't work because there isn't optics for the two helicopters, as it isn't necessary as they're pilot fired and aligned off their nose. Just use the crosshair
I guess the second question is how do I use the crosshair attached to my helmet to see where the helicopter's nose is pointing - or do I disable FreeTrack whenever combat starts? :smithicide:

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Just posting that Cops & Robbers was awesome last night. We should set up a dedicated server to that or the Urban fighting we had going before the server went 'derp'.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Nenonen posted:

I guess the second question is how do I use the crosshair attached to my helmet to see where the helicopter's nose is pointing - or do I disable FreeTrack whenever combat starts? :smithicide:

:smith: is the case.

Bind something to pause and center in FreeTrack.

Edit: Or have a big enough dead zone that it stays pretty centered.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Make sure you have a 'look' button bound, it should make it so that it snaps to the default head position. Also, make sure you have a confortable deadzone set up in freetrack, so your in game head doesn't wobble around when you're just looking forward, as well as a center freetrack key bound through the freetrack interface

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Is there still an ArmA2 thread around here somewhere? Just wondering because my friend decided to buy a bunch of copies of the game for some reason, and I'm wondering if there are any recommended/awesome co-op missions/packs that are good for around 3-4 players. Preferably stuff with more instant action or stupid fun involved.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I can get FaceTrackNoIR to work and track and everything is peachy, in fact, finding out about FaceTrackNoIR is what got me to get ARMA2 in the first place but for the life of me I can't set the curves in any fashion that doesn't just hurt my neck while having my character spin around like a mad man.

I figure that conceptually I would want a solid deadzone and then rather snappy movement once out of that zone but I just can't get it to work. Is there any recommended calibration guide?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Is there still an ArmA2 thread around here somewhere? Just wondering because my friend decided to buy a bunch of copies of the game for some reason, and I'm wondering if there are any recommended/awesome co-op missions/packs that are good for around 3-4 players. Preferably stuff with more instant action or stupid fun involved.

Well there is one thread way back in Games somewhere, otherwise there is the ACE Goons that sorta acts like a quasi-Arma2 thread at times.

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009

There's another stance indicator out there that I prefer, because it lets you know when you're in a stance that leaves you immobilized (i.e. low prone and high prone). Also, I just like how the bars look.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=18999

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3342764

Not exactly the most active thread in the world, but there it is.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I can get FaceTrackNoIR to work and track and everything is peachy, in fact, finding out about FaceTrackNoIR is what got me to get ARMA2 in the first place but for the life of me I can't set the curves in any fashion that doesn't just hurt my neck while having my character spin around like a mad man.

I figure that conceptually I would want a solid deadzone and then rather snappy movement once out of that zone but I just can't get it to work. Is there any recommended calibration guide?

I tried FaceTrackNoIR once and it was more like an Autism Simulator than anything else, so as far as I know, being spazzy and spinning like a madman is expected behavior. Maybe I just have a weird face, though.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Orv posted:

Whenever you have mods active through Steam -mod=@ commands, any servers that disallow those mods will have the dot on the far left side of the browser red. If it's green, you're good to go.

And for those of us that are complete idiots, how do you activate multiple mods at the same time?

-mod=@modname,@modname or -mod=@modname@modname?

Frosty Mossman
Feb 17, 2011

"I Guess Somebody Fixed All the Problems" -- Confused Citizen

Wicaeed posted:

And for those of us that are complete idiots, how do you activate multiple mods at the same time?

-mod=@modname1;@modname2

Orv
May 4, 2011

Wicaeed posted:

-mod=@modname -mod=@modname etc etc etc

Just spaces. Or ^^^.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
Just bought the Alpha and I had no idea it was coming. I really hope this is the ARMA that makes it work, I've loved them all but the series has suffered from "It's almost great" since the beginning but always ends up shooting itself in the dick. Crossing my fingers.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Jimb, to quote someone who was testing graphics settings: "Oooh, it plays a lot more like a shooter now!" :allears:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Chortles posted:

Jimb, to quote someone who was testing graphics settings: "Oooh, it plays a lot more like a shooter now!" :allears:

And thank gently caress for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

hailthefish posted:

I tried FaceTrackNoIR once and it was more like an Autism Simulator than anything else, so as far as I know, being spazzy and spinning like a madman is expected behavior. Maybe I just have a weird face, though.

This was also my experience, facetracknoir is just pretty bad. Either spend the 30 $ and make a headtracker thing and use freetrack, or nut up and pick up a TrackIR +trackclip pro. You can even get a 20 $ discount and just pay 160 $ for both by picking it up through Dslyecxi's referral on his website.