Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
You can just weigh down the rear seat or use a jack under the headers with it on the centerstand and get the front wheel off the ground. Jamming some 2x4s under the headers can help too.

Bike will look awesome when it's done, the black and gold wheels looks good already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sock Weasel posted:

Switched out the gas tank and fairing for black ones, also cleaned the shocks because they were nasty. All I need to do now is sand and spray the crash bars and the mudguard... but that involves removing the front wheel and I don't own a stand. :downs:

Your garage appears to be an 18th century cremation furnace. Also, spending 20 bucks on a rattlecan of paint for the exhaust would improve the look of the bike immensely, seeing as everything else is already shiny.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Rustoleum's aluminum 2200*F paint is pretty durable in my experience, and it looks really good.

SketchyEtch
Mar 9, 2013

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Painted the frame! Sorry, no more welds :(

Dat bulge!

What the crap is this?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

Actually got some wear all the way to the edge of my tire for the first time ever on any of my bikes, even if there's still chicken strip. Today was really the first time I've ever had the combination of really curvy roads and warm weather. After a few hours on twisty roads today I'm significantly more confident in the turns than I've ever been before. It's a good feeling. Also probably the most fun I've ever had on a bike today. Definitely had some butt clenchers in turns that became extremely tight very quickly. Lightly scraped a footpeg for the first time too in such a turn.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 31, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Scrape pegs, take names.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Geirskogul posted:

Rustoleum's aluminum 2200*F paint is pretty durable in my experience, and it looks really good.

I'm assuming we're talking about the "chrome colored" paint? I'm curious how that looks.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

ADINSX posted:

I'm assuming we're talking about the "chrome colored" paint? I'm curious how that looks.

I'm talking about this stuff. here are pics of it on the head and exhaust of :siren:my fiancee's:siren: CB650.

nsaP posted:

Scrape pegs, take names.

Check the pegs, dawg.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Apr 1, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Yesterday technically.

Installed an OEM sissy bar. To be honest... I didn't even mean to buy it. I have ebay searches saved for certain things and vmax sissy bar/rack is one of them. It e-mailed me in the morning, and at 6am with my morning cup of coffee I thought it was a swell idea and bought it. No bullshit, I don't recall doing it. Mod monkey snuck into my morning fog and forced me to buy it. My fully conscious self has been considering just putting it right back up on e-bay, but it will work for a sissy bar pack and my time/money is now all about getting me to North Carolina and back in May so... on it went.

Anyway, post install my wife decorated our bikes with Easter stuff and we spent the day on our machines.

His:

Hers:

Sock Weasel
Sep 13, 2010

^ Beautiful.

Slavvy posted:

Your garage appears to be an 18th century cremation furnace. Also, spending 20 bucks on a rattlecan of paint for the exhaust would improve the look of the bike immensely, seeing as everything else is already shiny.
This is England, the entire country looks like an 18th century cremation furnace. :colbert: I'll definitely be spraying the exhaust though, I just need to decide between a metal effect or gloss black.

Thanks for the tip, Z3n! Will give it a shot this weekend.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I put new NGK 9EIX spark plugs in the Ulysses, the PO had plugs that were a heat range too hot in it.

The off-the-book timing check procedure I tried didn't work out. It was going to be a bigger project than just jacking the bike, so I removed the pipe and jacked the bike. Timing was close, no real worries there.

Took it for a ride, still get the ping when I load it up at part-throttle around 3000 rpm. If I snap to WOT at that RPM or ride it about 500 higher, the ping stops. Not certain whether I should add more fuel there or if I should smooth the ignition advance map. Going to start by marking my throttle so I know where to make adjustments in the map.

e: oh yeah I also eliminated my exhaust leak in the Jardine elbow pipe connection by jamming it full of aluminum foil before I tightened the pipe clamp. Didn't fix the decel popping, which means I might need to add some fuel to the zero-throttle overrun region.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 1, 2013

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

clutchpuck posted:

I put new NGK 9EIX spark plugs in the Ulysses, the PO had plugs that were a heat range too hot in it.

The off-the-book timing check procedure I tried didn't work out. It was going to be a bigger project than just jacking the bike, so I removed the pipe and jacked the bike. Timing was close, no real worries there.

Took it for a ride, still get the ping when I load it up at part-throttle around 3000 rpm. If I snap to WOT at that RPM or ride it about 500 higher, the ping stops. Not certain whether I should add more fuel there or if I should smooth the ignition advance map. Going to start by marking my throttle so I know where to make adjustments in the map.

e: oh yeah I also eliminated my exhaust leak in the Jardine elbow pipe connection by jamming it full of aluminum foil before I tightened the pipe clamp. Didn't fix the decel popping, which means I might need to add some fuel to the zero-throttle overrun region.

Could be your intake rubbers are leaking which is leaning it out, they often leak on these bikes; though I don't know if it could manifest itself as such a lean condition that you get pinging and decel popping.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I had my friend ride mine while I rode his for a bit - he said he got the same pinging when he had the race maps installed but it went away when he installed his EBR ECM, so I am thinking the maps are the issue. Especially with how it goes away when I snap it wide open.

I actually just did some playing with ECMSpy, and learned that the closed loop learn region is modifiable, which is good because this is what I think is happening: the closed loop region's upper TPS boundary is a little too high. So when I open it part-way, it's not quite out of the closed loop region, and it's targeting 14.7 as I load it up. Once I snap to WOT or the RPM rises a few hundred, the ECM switches to open loop/map mode and starts giving it a richer "running through the gears" AFR.

I think I can move the closed loop region's max TPS values down a bit and fatten up the transition zone between cruise and running through gears.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Started reassembling after powdercoating and painting.

Mark looks jaded and unimpressed like a 19th century Russian peasant here, but really he spent the 15 minutes before and after that pic going over all the ways the sidecar came out totally loving badass.

No new welds :(

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
I'm so confused, what's going on with the engine block on the right left side? It looks like a bunch of sheet metal was tacked on.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Race regulated belly pan to catch crankcase leaks.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Ah, makes sense :downs:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
That harbor freight trailer wheel is pretty sweet. Good weight savings on that bad boy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Neighbor chick is about 19 years old and bought a brand new baby Ninja last year (all of 500KMs on it now). Someone told her it was bad to leave gas in it over winter so she parked it with virtually nothing in it and no other prep :smith:

Heard her trying to rev the bag off it in her driveway to get it to idle but to no avail so I went over to give her a bit of a hand.

Bought some fuel cleaner put it in and took her on a ride for a while which luckily cleared it up after about 20 minutes of riding.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

slidebite posted:

Neighbor chick is about 19 years old...

...took her on a ride...

No comment.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
The correct speedsensor magnet thingy shipped for my SV650 today. This will be my first bike job without a garage :(.

P.S.: I want a Duke 390 so bad I can taste it!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

XYLOPAGUS posted:

The correct speedsensor magnet thingy shipped for my SV650 today. This will be my first bike job without a garage :(.

P.S.: I want a Duke 390 so bad I can taste it!

Did yours break too? Noone mentioned anything when I posted pics of my one. Did it just sort of fall apart when you took the wheel off or what?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My new, heavy-duty cam chain got here today. It is wrapped in a piece of paper that kindly informs me, in English and Japanese, that the cam chain should not be eaten. :japan:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Slavvy posted:

No comment.

Hey! I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone here that there is no 19 year old Columbian hottie anywhere that could resist a smooth overweight 40 year old Canadian that is trying to be helpful. :colbert:

Pepper spray would probably do it. :smith:

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Saturday: a beautifully sunny 10°C, picked it from storage and did a short haul back to my parents' place. Started taking apart the fairing to replace the spare bolt I had, but realized a bit too late that I still didn't have the rubber bushing that it screws into. Damnit. Put it back together. Rode out that night to meet some friends.

Monday: 2°C and expecting snow, put it in my parents' neighbours' garage to pick up later.

Today it's -1, and the rest of the week isn't looking brilliant. :(

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I stripped down my frame of every fastener and bracket to ready it for powder coating. Does anyone have any recommendation on Oregon powder coating operations? I'm looking for someone that will take off the old paint and do all the masking / prep for me.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I "de-winterized" it by taking it for a real ride instead of just commuting and staying around town in the cold weather. 280 miles round trip and a nice day hike.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Sagebrush posted:

My new, heavy-duty cam chain got here today. It is wrapped in a piece of paper that kindly informs me, in English and Japanese, that the cam chain should not be eaten. :japan:

this made my day.
who makes the cam chain? Honda OEM replacement?

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I busted or dropped a cam chain in the VFR this morning. It's been rattling, I took it to my mechanic and he said not to worry about it. This morning I'm riding in and about an 1/8th of a mile from work when the bike makes a chunk noise and lurches. I clutched in and it died. I was in traffic and about to start climbing a hill with a semi behind me. I made a decision and popped the clutch to get it started, I was turning an indicated 6k rpms on what sounded like 2 cylinders and praying I wasn't destroying the engine.

The mechanic just picked it up and is pretty much astonished that this happened. The bike only has 22~k miles on it. I can't seem to catch a fuckin break.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The quest for better fueling with my butt-dyno continues.

Yesterday, I backed up the race maps from my ECM and applied the maps from a guy in Indiana who runs a XB12R with a K&N and Jardine - like my Ulysses. With two exceptions, these maps are better than the race map. I get good cruise and good engine braking. I didn't manage to get it to ping on me, even after I let it bake without moving for a few minutes.

The exceptions:
- It wants to die at idle. I think it's too lean and when it cycles off closed-loop, it just dies.
- There's a big hole in power around 4500RPM at WOT.

Trying to decide whether I should start with the race map and try and tune out the ping, or start with the Jardine map and try to work out the two problem spots.

I'd just bring it to a tuner, but the bike isn't currently set up for proper wideband (or narrowband for that matter) tuning. You can only read the rear cyl near the port or a combination of both down-wind from the header collector, so there's simply a lot of guesswork to be done. I'd have to pull the header off and have a pair of wideband bungs put in to do it right. Maybe the preprogrammed Jardine-specific ECM from EBR isn't such a bad $300.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Ponies ate my Bagel posted:

I busted or dropped a cam chain in the VFR this morning. It's been rattling, I took it to my mechanic and he said not to worry about it. This morning I'm riding in and about an 1/8th of a mile from work when the bike makes a chunk noise and lurches. I clutched in and it died. I was in traffic and about to start climbing a hill with a semi behind me. I made a decision and popped the clutch to get it started, I was turning an indicated 6k rpms on what sounded like 2 cylinders and praying I wasn't destroying the engine.

The mechanic just picked it up and is pretty much astonished that this happened. The bike only has 22~k miles on it. I can't seem to catch a fuckin break.
cam chain?
you bought the wrong vfr.
how bad did it sound when riding? if you popped a cam chain then it's very possible that pistons were introduced to valves :(

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

cam chain?
you bought the wrong vfr.
how bad did it sound when riding? if you popped a cam chain then it's very possible that pistons were introduced to valves :(

There's been a slight rattle during decel for the last 1500 miles. It was only present around 3500-4500 rpm's. When I first heard it I just rode it over and my mechanic took a quick spin on it. He identified it as the cam chain and said it wasn't uncommon for them to make some noise. I went to VFRWorld and when I asked about it was told it wasn't abnormal. I started riding with earplugs again recently (needed to learn how the bike sounded after I first got it) and with plugs in it wasn't audible at all. I'm dreading looking for a new engine.

Edit: after whatever happened, happened I didn't hear anything that sounded like valves and pistons going at it. I was wearing plugs though and mostly just wanted to survive the incident.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Reminds me of the Playstation 1's manual, which helpfully reminded you that the controller should only be used with your hands, and you should not attach it to your face.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

this made my day.
who makes the cam chain? Honda OEM replacement?

Tsubaki. The box says CAMELLIA on it. It's the same one that KA performance sells for their slipper tensioner, but I found one for 20 dollars less ($30) and I'm using it with a regular tensioner. It is definitely much heavier-duty than the stock chain...the plates are much larger and beefier and the chain is physically heavier. (The exterior dimensions are the same obviously). Not sure if the additional weight will alter how freely the engine revs, but given what just happened to PAMB's VFR I'm happy to have the additional strength...

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

clutchpuck posted:

The quest for better fueling with my butt-dyno continues.

Can this be worked into the thread title somehow?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

clutchpuck posted:

I'd just bring it to a tuner, but the bike isn't currently set up for proper wideband (or narrowband for that matter) tuning.
A tuner will have an exhaust gas analyzer, you don't need an o2 sensor at all.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

my butt-dyno

BlackMK4 posted:

exhaust gas analyzer

tee hee

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Sagebrush posted:

Tsubaki. The box says CAMELLIA on it. It's the same one that KA performance sells for their slipper tensioner, but I found one for 20 dollars less ($30) and I'm using it with a regular tensioner. It is definitely much heavier-duty than the stock chain...the plates are much larger and beefier and the chain is physically heavier. (The exterior dimensions are the same obviously). Not sure if the additional weight will alter how freely the engine revs, but given what just happened to PAMB's VFR I'm happy to have the additional strength...

Tsubaki is a high end Japanese chain manufacturer, one of the few that still makes their bread and butter stuff in Japan and not going to China. I sell tons of their industrial chain and only have good things to say about it. They are also a big OE supplier too.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

BlackMK4 posted:

A tuner will have an exhaust gas analyzer, you don't need an o2 sensor at all.

It won't measure individual cylinders, thus the guesswork.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilersquirrel
Oct 16, 2004
My little sister is awesome and bought me this account.
Did a valve clearance job yesterday after work. They were really tight, almost to the point of having no gap. Hopefully this will eliminate the cylinder gas poofing back through the air filter on decel that I get every so often. If it doesn't, I may just bite the bullet and pull the entire valve cover assembly off. I also learned that "Off," "On," and "Reserve" are relative terms to my fuel petcock, and that the spring might just need replacement for being too tired and squishy.

I sincerely hope the Honda sport models are designed for better valve access than the cruiser models are. Intake valves? Fairly easy, minimum of finger contortion and funky access angles. Exhuast valves? Let's stick them both an inch away from the frame and run coolant pipes right where your fingers and tools need to go, that sounds like a great idea!