Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Does it really matter who put SOC on PCB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

XboxPants posted:

Pegatron makes more products than just Apple/Sony/other big name products. They do a ton of random medium and small products too. Is building 100k OUYAs really gonna put such a serious dent in their operations that it's something Peggy even has to worry about?

Nope, they have 100% of the OUYAs built! Hurrah! You're getting yours yesterday!

The fact that Julie could have changed the production order of the Limited Editions means that they hadn't even set up production yet.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

XboxPants posted:

Pegatron makes more products than just Apple/Sony/other big name products. They do a ton of random medium and small products too. Is building 100k OUYAs really gonna put such a serious dent in their operations that it's something Peggy even has to worry about?

The issue isn't the planned schedule, it's that when unforeseen situations arise (they always do) the BLUEMYSELF folks can't meaningfully affect the overall manufacturing schedule, and if Apply/Sony/whatever other big name decides that they really need 20% more units produced in the next month, then the MOVEOVER has no choice but to suffer reduced production.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

XboxPants posted:

Uncle Jam will correct me/add detail, but I believe that Asus basically spun off their OEM wing into an independent company and that's Pegatron. They make various poo poo for lots of people, as well as manage the ASRock brand.

This would make a lot of sense considering the ASUS name comes from the end of Pegasus.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Male Man posted:

The issue isn't the planned schedule, it's that when unforeseen situations arise (they always do) the BLUEMYSELF folks can't meaningfully affect the manufacturing process, and if Apply/Sony/whatever other big name decides that they really need 20% more units produced in the next month, then the MOVEOVER has no choice but to suffer reduced production.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the straight answer.

Uncle Jam posted:

Nope, they have 100% of the OUYAs built! Hurrah! You're getting yours yesterday!

The fact that Julie could have changed the production order of the Limited Editions means that they hadn't even set up production yet.

I spent a while thinking what the gently caress her update could possibly mean, given the info we had. I mean... if they're sending out the LE models last... and they're now shipping them out two weeks earlier... wouldn't that mean they're going to finish shipping two weeks earlier? But, no that doesn't seem to be the case. So I looked at what was said: "we freed up additional production resources which allowed us to fast-track Limited Edition shipments".

I'm gonna apologize in advance for not knowing how this stuff works, but only way to find out is to ask. Is it possible they have multiple lines, and they're going to convert one of them to Limited Edition earlier than planned, while still producing basic models on the other line(s)?

Blue Rupie
Mar 25, 2013
While you guys muttering the production process, what's the difference between the Basic model and the limited edition model(or any other models that I missed)? Other than the metallic(?) exterior and names that will be stuck in history books forever(for the better or for the worse), I really think that if all they have to do is to make a single flashed universal board with different cases they should be making and shipping these units like crazy!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I figured someone would bring that up. Certainly sounds bad. Apple is still trusting them to manufacture the majority of their iPad minis though. And that contract went through a year after the explosion.

If by 'trusting' you mean 'they were the lowest bidder' then you are right.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

XboxPants posted:

Yeah, I figured someone would bring that up. Certainly sounds bad.

Problems sourcing components would be "Certainly sounds bad." An explosion in your manufacturing plant that injures 50+people might be before it's fully open and inspected is something else altogether.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Boiled Water posted:

If by 'trusting' you mean 'they were the lowest bidder' then you are right.

Is this one of those deals where they're required to employ the lowest bidder?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Yes. The hand of the free market demands it :v: .

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

XboxPants posted:

Is this one of those deals where they're required to employ the lowest bidder?

You are supposed to be a loving journalist. Every single drat time you tout something as being an awesome coup for BRO-YEAH, five seconds more research indicates that it is either not that great or not even a special thing at all. Reconsider that job.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

You are supposed to be a loving journalist. Every single drat time you tout something as being an awesome coup for BRO-YEAH, five seconds more research indicates that it is either not that great or not even a special thing at all. Reconsider that job.

Dude, what the hell's your problem? He pointed out that they're a big corporation used by many serious hardware producers. What part of that makes you enter nerd rage mode?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Alex WS posted:

Dude, what the hell's your problem? He pointed out that they're a big corporation used by many serious hardware producers. What part of that makes you enter nerd rage mode?

Shut up.

Edit: To expand on this, your post adds nothing other than basically saying "calm down bro".

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Apr 20, 2013

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Alex WS posted:

Basically his ':smug: Oh ho, guess OUYA isn't small time after all' garbage about a company that seems to be widely used solely because it's the cheapest. And it seems to barely be producing a drat thing. It's not a legitimizing claim. Sorry if I hurt your feelings though, guy I wasn't addressing.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

Have you perhaps considered that there's a difference between publishing an article about a topic, and making a forum post about it and then asking other people whether or not what I said is accurate? To me it seems like a meaningful difference.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Have you perhaps considered that there's a difference between publishing an article about a topic, and making a forum post about it and then asking other people whether or not what I said is accurate? To me it seems like a meaningful difference.

Yes, I have considered that, because you use it a lot, and I don't buy it. You present your stuff like you've finally got something that'll shut everyone up and then you're like, 'oh poo poo guess I was wrong' when you get picked apart, constantly. Even if you're a fake journalist reporting on a device that no one owns, you should do a little research before smugly plopping information down on the table like it's a royal flush. You're presenting yourself as an authority (to someone, somewhere), so have some pride in what you allege to do.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Germstore posted:

Does it really matter who put SOC on PCB?

Apparently it's significant for some people to know whose butt this turd slid out of.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

You're presenting yourself as an authority (to someone, somewhere), so have some pride in what you allege to do.

The only "authority" I present myself as is "hey, these games look cool".

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yes, I have considered that, because you use it a lot, and I don't buy it.

Uh... why not? It's not that weird of an idea. I put much more effort into ensuring the accuracy of a post I make to my website than I do to random forum posts. I doubt I'm the only one.

The arguments you guys are putting forth are pretty weak anyway. Even the cheapest manufacturer of iPads is still a quality manufacturer. Are you guys seriously saying "oh man, be careful not to buy the Pegatron iPads, those ones are really flimsy"? I don't care what kind of cheap prices Pegatron charges, if Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Toshiba, etc are using them for their flagship products, then they're a reliable company.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

The only "authority" I present myself as is "hey, these games look cool".

Uh... why not? It's not that weird of an idea. I put much more effort into ensuring the accuracy of a post I make to my website than I do to random forum posts. I doubt I'm the only one.

The arguments you guys are putting forth are pretty weak anyway. Even the cheapest manufacturer of iPads is still a quality manufacturer. Are you guys seriously saying "oh man, be careful not to buy the Pegatron iPads, those ones are really flimsy"? I don't care what kind of cheap prices Pegatron charges, if Apple, Sony, Microsoft, Toshiba, etc are using them for their flagship products, then they're a reliable company.

First of all, if I thought you were competent enough to perform a voodoo ritual I would think you just did something to destroy my back, because I have just thrown it out and it basically happened for no reason and I am in a lot of pain. <:mad:>

But anyway, I see what you're saying and it just seems super-shady to me to be like, 'when I present information HERE I am a journalist, but amongst you bros I'm just a dude and I'm not going to try very hard to see if the point I'm trying to prove is valid or even means anything'. Like this factory thing. You were like, "guess it is legit bros, see this company? Apple uses it." Everyone uses it. It's the cheapest. Your information is just, you know, information. It doesn't prove anything particular about Ouya, especially because they seem to be doing a very bad job of actually producing any Ouyas at all. What was the figure? 2% of Ouyas are out?* Even if they are legit (which admittedly they seem to be), Ouya is apparently the least of their priorities, so who cares?

I can see you not presenting yourself as an authority, though. I forgot that you're a reviewer and there's another guy covering the "facts" stuff. You still won't have anything to review until maybe halfway through May. I guess right now you're basically Wolf Blitzer working for Official Ouya Magazine. You can at least take this time to come up with amusing names for your competitors. I'll help you get started: The Pii-U and the Lamestation Bore.

*you should probably know this off the top of your head btw

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Calm down people, I'm sure his reviews will be completely fair and free of bias and objectionabahahahahaha

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

codenameFANGIO posted:

I can see you not presenting yourself as an authority, though. I forgot that you're a reviewer and there's another guy covering the "facts" stuff. You still won't have anything to review until maybe halfway through May. I guess right now you're basically Wolf Blitzer working for Official Ouya Magazine. You can at least take this time to come up with amusing names for your competitors. I'll help you get started: The Pii-U and the Lamestation Bore.

Well, reviews aren't a big focus, either. I know they're popular, we'll do them, but I really am mainly gonna do stuff more like "hey this game is kinda neat, check it out" along the lines of something like an indiegames.com post. Honestly, the site overall isn't really the main focus; it exists largely to support the video content.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

XboxPants posted:

Well, reviews aren't a big focus, either. I know they're popular, we'll do them, but I really am mainly gonna do stuff more like "hey this game is kinda neat, check it out" along the lines of something like an indiegames.com post. Honestly, the site overall isn't really the main focus; it exists largely to support the video content.

Um at this point it just kinda sounds like you're literally a low-rung paid shill. You should have just let me keep thinking you were a reviewer. :psyduck:

I will agree with you on one thing though: Escape Goat loving rules, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

Dex
May 26, 2006

Quintuple x!!!

Would not escrow again.

VERY MISLEADING!

codenameFANGIO posted:

Um at this point it just kinda sounds like you're literally a low-rung paid shill.

That's not a new development, at all. The dude claims to be excited to 'review' Final Fantasy 3. You know, the well-made indie game that could totally use the attention.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

codenameFANGIO posted:

I will agree with you on one thing though: Escape Goat loving rules, gently caress the haters. :colbert:

What haters? This seems like saying, "Mario 3 rules, gently caress the haters," to me.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Wendell posted:

What haters? This seems like saying, "Mario 3 rules, gently caress the haters," to me.

He brought up Escape Goat 2 before and people were like, 'lol Escape Goat, sounds like poo poo' and it really stuck with me. Buy it on XBLIG, kids.

EDIT: unpaid shilling there

codenameFANGIO fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 20, 2013

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

codenameFANGIO posted:

Um at this point it just kinda sounds like you're literally a low-rung paid shill. You should have just let me keep thinking you were a reviewer. :psyduck:

I'm not encouraging further internet detectivery here, but didn't Red_Mage out the guy AS being a low paid shill earlier on?

EDIT: Here it is; hopefully it isn't overstepping any line. If so, I'll take it down once I've had some sleep:

Red_Mage posted:

hahahahaha

holy poo poo

you know how I made a joke a few pages back about Xboxpants working for that horrible OUYA journalism kickstarter?

http://www.reddit.com/r/ouya/comments/19oelb/ouya_radar_episode_2_tons_of_gameplay_of_our/c8pv0at

He actually does.

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Apr 20, 2013

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

CommissarMega posted:

I'm not encouraging further internet detectivery here, but didn't Red_Mage out the guy AS being a low paid shill earlier on?

EDIT: Here it is; hopefully it isn't overstepping any line. If so, I'll take it down once I've had some sleep:

No, Redmage's outing was the initial discovery that he was working for a third party writing about the OUYA, at least as far as I remember.

Edit: Right, he writes for a website that is focused on producing content about the OUYA, but he doesn't directly work for them at all.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I don't know why, but I really have a hate-on for Visorman. I think it's because the guy says he's "saving the console industry, one game at a time" from repetition, but saying he's making a copy of a game.

And because holy poo poo, N64 Daikatana looks better than his game, jesus h christ.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don't know why, but I really have a hate-on for Visorman. I think it's because the guy says he's "saving the console industry, one game at a time" from repetition, but saying he's making a copy of a game.

And because holy poo poo, N64 Daikatana looks better than his game, jesus h christ.

This is the main issue with BOUYA devs: They have Nice Guy syndrome, trying to save the girl from the rear end in a top hat that treats her like poo poo. I don't think these games would be criticized here as much as they are now if not for this idiotic crusade of saving the industry and acting as if their poo poo don't stink with regard to their games being amateur alpha dry runs. They lack humility and wisdom. Fuckin' kids, man.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'm gonna save the games industry by making the games I want! What do you mean, other people? Screw them! My opinion is all that matters!

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

raditts posted:

What the gently caress is a Pegatron.
I'm envisioning Megatron with a Peggy Bundy hairdo, eating bonbons and asking Optimus for shopping money.

It sounds like a brony thing.

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It's because "barebones genre game that uses intentional ironic shittiness as a replacement for effort" is a genre now and visorman is the bullseye in the center.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I wish I was some kind of Lex Luthor/Notch hybrid so I could intentionally fund lovely, amazing games like Visorman. I would fill the fuckin' Ouya with all the games it claims are on the way just because they would all fail and I could crush like a billion lovely developers dreams after handing them everything they would claim to need. Right now they'll just use their failure for martyrdom.'If only I had the time/budget/etc. I could have made it ...'. gently caress THAT. I want them to KNOW that it is their fault specifically, but they never will. :(

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Stick100 posted:

Legal
Legal

I know this is from a page or two back, but I've seen this a few times and I think I missed something along the way, because I don't get it. Would someone care to enlighten me show me the cold hard truth of reality?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Color Printer posted:

I know this is from a page or two back, but I've seen this a few times and I think I missed something along the way, because I don't get it. Would someone care to enlighten me show me the cold hard truth of reality?

This was literally the text on their site when they first went live.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Color Printer posted:

On the official Ouya page for the longest time, on their Legal page, all it said was.

Legal

Legal.

The first Legal being the title, the second being the entire content for that page.

Edit: Beaten

Edit 2:

Jobs
Jobs

Minecraft
Minecraft

Press
Copy

Countdown the that insufferable Aweful Dreams and his uncle who works at Nintendo coming along to tell me how all this is fine, HEH

peter gabriel fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Apr 20, 2013

Bionic
May 6, 2007

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant, A Ridiculous Beard.
Heh - I tell people the OUYA is fully-baked but needs time to be cooled before it's frosted, and people say I'm "defending" it? That says more about you than me :P

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

peter gabriel posted:

Countdown the that insufferable Aweful Dreams and his uncle who works at Nintendo coming along to tell me how all this is fine, HEH

To be fair both XboxPants and Aweful Dreams seem to be cooling on Ouya, though I doubt they'll outright admit it.

Bionic posted:

Heh - I tell people the OUYA is fully-baked but needs time to be cooled before it's frosted, and people say I'm "defending" it? That says more about you than me :P

OH NO* THE VIRUS IS SPREADING

*OH YEAHHHHHHHHHHH

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
XBP is our very own fool but I actually don't mind / quite like the guy, he isn't the uncle I am referring to*, although that thought is funny :)

This is referencing that I don't believe that Aweful Dreams works for a games company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

bucketmouse posted:

It's because "barebones genre game that uses intentional ironic shittiness as a replacement for effort" is a genre now and visorman is the bullseye in the center.

Plus, I also thing that there's room for what Goldeneye did right, like different objectives for difficulty levels, that should come back. But, instead, "HIT A BUTTON TO AIM! BULKY VISOR BLOCKING VIEW! 50/50 GRAINY TEXTURES VS HD-ISH" ones is his plan. ANd he wanted almost 10k in USD on kickstarter for it. Really?

• Locked thread