Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Isotaupe posted:

It's amazing to me that every OUYA backer could have backed Gamestick instead and gotten pretty much exactly what they wanted in the first place.

I'm not sure if you're aware - Gamestick was supposed to be shipping now but got pushed back two months. They announced the delay on the 7th... like, of the month they were supposed to be shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illiniguy01
Feb 19, 2011

Sweat, Ubu. Sweat. Good paranoid schizophrenic.

NOTinuyasha posted:

I'm not sure if you're aware - Gamestick was supposed to be shipping now but got pushed back two months. They announced the delay on the 7th... like, of the month they were supposed to be shipping.

They should have just shipped one(maybe to themselves) and claimed they are totally shipping on time. What could go wrong?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

illiniguy01 posted:

They should have just shipped one(maybe to themselves) and claimed they are totally shipping on time. What could go wrong?

Ah yes, the BFL shipping trick.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Supporting the OMFGPOS at this point requires you to have no understanding of manufacturing or shipping logistics. Previously, it only required that you had no way of playing any video game over the last 30 years. Anyone thinking there is going to be a retail release of the PILEOFSHIT is deluded, but please, keep it up.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Aweful Dreams posted:

The Android emulator doesn't support controllers, and when doing actual game development, you'd need something with similar performance to an OUYA, which means spending $500 to $600 anyways on a tablet that supports 1080p and controllers. And even then, your controllers won't be perfect (no touchpad, questionable Home-button detection depending on which controller you choose to use, different dead zones), and you really need real hardware to test a game on before shipping - no matter how well you *think* your game is going to run, only amateurs/horrible developers try to ship a game without personally testing it on real hardware.

It's one of my pet peeves for the OUYA - I read their developer forums and see people posting "tell me if my game works, I don't have a dev kit but I want it to be a launch title" or "I don't have a dev kit and my game got rejected, tell me what I did wrong" and I just cringe knowing another horrible game is being thrown onto the OUYA with a minimum of real effort.

You can have any number of things with better performance from 50 to 200 dollars. If you think the controller needs to be "perfect" considering the known build quality of the OUYA and the way its source handles controllers, you are even dumber than I thought you were.

Let this also serve as a reminder that the OUYA is about as powerful as the Le Pan II, a crummy 9.4" tablet from china that runs about 150 bucks right now. Or the Princely 250 dollar Onda V972 which outstrips the OUYA by 10 places. Truly that was 700 dollars well spent.

Red_Mage fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 24, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Supporting the OMFGPOS at this point requires you to have no understanding of manufacturing or shipping logistics. Previously, it only required that you had no way of playing any video game over the last 30 years. Anyone thinking there is going to be a retail release of the PILEOFSHIT is deluded, but please, keep it up.

But Amazon IS retail! You just don't understand the digital information technoage! Big Three slave!

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

The natives are getting restless!

Maybe post a second screenshot?

Then again, why put in more effort into that forum than developers put into their games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

How could I deny my raving.. uh, fans?

(reverse the letters in the variable name :ssh:)

Also

"Haha! Joke's on you! I was only pretending to be retarded!"

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Sue posted:

The natives are getting restless!

Maybe post a second screenshot?

Then again, why put in more effort into that forum than developers put into their games?

What is a Super Moderator? Why don't we have Super Moderators? :(

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Angela Christine posted:

Super moderators get to wear a cape and red silk underpants. In the case of the Ouya Forums the underpants are typically worn atop the head, like a crown.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

So, honestly, wouldn't someone that wanted an emulation machine just be better off with a gamestick at this point? That controller looks far better for NES/SNES stuff.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Angela Christine posted:

We have a God, Louisgod, isn't he enough already? :wtc:

Also:

Dieting Hippo posted:

I did want to wait until the next page to post this, but whatever.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

How could I deny my raving.. uh, fans?

(reverse the letters in the variable name :ssh:)

Also

"Haha! Joke's on you! I was only pretending to be retarded!"
Nicely done. Since we're sharing PMs from their staff:

At least Eddie K wants to promote my webstore, can't believe TotalOUYA stole my idea :argh: Also who are those somethingawful people setting things up on my server? :ohdear:
Goatse Hits: 440
Lemon Party Hits: 497
Only started recording after these messages, missed the bulk of the visitors.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Good to see that their admins are just as clue-y as Julie & co.

We are many, we are one, we are the indie revolution. You know us as the OOHYAH.

Billa
Jul 12, 2005

The Emperor protects.
I'm actually kind of interested in this console since I really like small games. When is it supposed to come out?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Billa posted:

I'm actually kind of interested in this console since I really like small games. When is it supposed to come out?

If you've been paying any attention to this thread, you would not be interested.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Billa posted:

Get a tablet and not this piece of poo poo.

Cool Matty
Jan 8, 2006
Usuyami no Sekai
I feel like kirbysuperstar should add a bunch of "DRM" to the game, that makes suspicious network connections to Chinese/Iranian IP addresses. Bonus points if the DRM requires you to have an internet connection, and randomly fails due to "server load".

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Billa posted:

They are delivering 1 unit a week and have a back order of roughly 60000 units. So we can estimate you will receive your order October 5th in the year 3166 if you order now!

Math: 60000 weeks to deliver 1 unit a week/52 week in a year = 1153.84 years from now.

trunkwontopen
Apr 7, 2007
I am a CARTOON BEAR!

Stick100 posted:

Math: 60000 weeks to deliver 1 unit a week/52 week in a year = 1153.84 years from now.

I wanna see the updatedchart.bmp from Julie Uhrmagetinyermonies showcasing this statement.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm browsing through the ouya subreddit and man I don't understand how people are so positive about this piece of poo poo. It's like a bunch of stockholm syndrome victims, with posts saying stuff like "for real, when will i get my unit? I can wait tho ;)" and "knowing that I helped Ouya is enough satisfaction for me, it's ok if i get mine months from now".

I really don't get it. People are willingly shelling out money for a console designed to play crap phone games, which they may or may not receive like, ever. Normally, I'd think people who are really into ANGRY BIRDS and BULLSHIT ZOMBIE TAPPING GAME wouldn't bother buying a dedicated console. As for the more dedicated gamers who want a full console with gatekeepers (read: quality assurance), used consoles and portable systems are really cheap, provide you with an established library of games, and will actually ship to your home a week after you order it.

For gently caress's sake, the device you are reading these forums on can likely play better games than the OUYA! Just makes me really want to quit my crappy job and scam people for a living, it seems so easy.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

trunkwontopen posted:

I wanna see the updatedchart.bmp from Julie Uhrmagetinyermonies showcasing this statement.

I updated my chart with a linear progression from 3/29/13 - Today - 5/25/13. We got 1 more deliver so a slight increase in the total deliver if we continue with a linear deliver pattern. Now we will have 1.907% delivered by 5/25/13 instead of 1.88% good job team OUYA!

Yeah, OUYAS are not in factory production yet, OUYA the company is spitting in our face and calling it rain.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 24, 2013

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

KingSlime posted:

I really don't get it. People are willingly shelling out money for a console designed to play crap phone games, which they may or may not receive like, ever.

Not everyone can fill the emptiness of his life by choosing to volunteer for helping the homeless or fighting the jihad in Syria; but everyone can be a soldier of the war of perception, fighting the big 3 one game at a time.

:jihad:

Aweful Dreams
Apr 7, 2013

CEO, Heh, inc.

Overly Optimistic

Red_Mage posted:

You can have any number of things with better performance from 50 to 200 dollars. If you think the controller needs to be "perfect" considering the known build quality of the OUYA and the way its source handles controllers, you are even dumber than I thought you were.

Let this also serve as a reminder that the OUYA is about as powerful as the Le Pan II, a crummy 9.4" tablet from china that runs about 150 bucks right now. Or the Princely 250 dollar Onda V972 which outstrips the OUYA by 10 places. Truly that was 700 dollars well spent.

So, what Android device with a 1080p screen costs $50 to $200? That's where the biggest performance hit comes from, so it's what you'd need to be able to make an OUYA game.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

This kind of rhetoric is such bullshit, when you liken your electronic toy's campaign to terms such as "oppression", "revolution", etc, you're basically making light of you know, actual oppressive regimes and injustices around the world. Hardly the OUYA's biggest flaw, but it irritates the poo poo out of me because these assholes are playing into the typical American idiot's "independent spirit" and "sense of justice".

I'm sure somebody can articulate what I am trying to say here much better but drat it people it's video games (emphasis on the word games). Chill out OUYers, you're not doing anything to justify your self-righteous pats on the back, aside from padding up Miss Julie's bank account and tossing away precious beer money.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Honestly, if it was cheaper, though that'd make it less powerful, that could be kind of good -- you could put old J2ME stuff on it (stuff coded to work with keyboards and therefore unplayable on touch-devices)... and I guess OUYA has outright said they want emulators so put those on there too. If it cost forty dollars and existed for purchase that'd be a fun gadget to play around with I think.

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
I'm very late to the party, so I apologize if this has been re-hashed to death. I was one of the optomistic Kickstarter suckers, and it sounds like there is no chance I'll ever see this thing let alone enjoy it. Is there any chance I could get a refund, or should I just kiss that $100 goodbye and maybe see a unit 12 months from now? :(

vvv: Yeah, not gonna do that.

Treytor fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 24, 2013

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
If you tweet Julie repeatedly she will personally see to it that you get your refund.

*Note you will not actually receive a refund

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Aweful Dreams posted:

So, what Android device with a 1080p screen costs $50 to $200? That's where the biggest performance hit comes from, so it's what you'd need to be able to make an OUYA game.

Aweful Dreams posted:

The WHYIOUGHTA comes with a 1080p screen?

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Oh sweet, the OUYA comes with a 1080p screen? I am back on board.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Belial42 posted:

Oh sweet, the OUYA comes with a 1080p screen? I am back on board.

It's a screen with 1,080 letter "p" on it.

Smegbot
Jul 13, 2006

Mon the Biffy!
None of the games being made for Ouya even look remotely 1080p...

I honestly can't see any draw for developing on Ouya at this point. The install base is tiny, the hardware and software are crap and the store is full of utter poo poo. Even if you had an existing successful Android game it'd be hard to justify porting it, you'd never make the dev costs back.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Treytor posted:

I'm very late to the party, so I apologize if this has been re-hashed to death. I was one of the optomistic Kickstarter suckers, and it sounds like there is no chance I'll ever see this thing let alone enjoy it. Is there any chance I could get a refund, or should I just kiss that $100 goodbye and maybe see a unit 12 months from now? :(

vvv: Yeah, not gonna do that.

You should tweet at her repeatedly and do everything to try to get a refund. They are running a scam and no one is calling them out on it.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Because people are too busy masturbating themselves over their small but significant contribution to the gaming world.

Sorry dude, your poor decision making cost you $100. Learn from this mistake. Grow as a person. Propser.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Aweful Dreams posted:

Couldn't you just connect it to a 1080p tv? What's the problem with that?

You points about the controllers make sense, though. The OUYA controllers have specific peculiarities (the dead zone issue like you mentioned) that you won't be able to properly dev for without an actual unit. I guess if you were a super strapped for cash dev, an OUYA controller would meet most of your needs. But like you say, it's really amateur hour to dev for a system without testing on the actual hardware itself.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Aweful Dreams posted:

Hahaha you idiot. It's called an HDMI cable. You can't actually be this dumb, there's no way.

XboxPants posted:

You points about the controllers make sense, though. The OUYA controllers have specific peculiarities (the dead zone issue like you mentioned) that you won't be able to properly dev for without an actual unit. I guess if you were a super strapped for cash dev, an OUYA controller would meet most of your needs. But like you say, it's really amateur hour to dev for a system without testing on the actual hardware itself.
Have you played a PC game before? While they do test on many standard setups, for some reason, they are able to develop games in a way where they work on hardware that never entered into the offices of the developer!

Given that they can do that, you can EASILY do the same thing for OUYA, and you know exactly what specs you're targeting.

Step 1: Buy a Tegra3 device
Step 2: You are done, there is not step 2

theflyingorc fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 24, 2013

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.

XboxPants posted:

But like you say, it's really amateur hour to dev preview for a system without testing playing on the actual hardware itself.
Fixed it for you.

EDIT: Sorry, went back, fixed that. Is that more clear?

Belial42 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Apr 24, 2013

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Belial42 posted:

Fixed it for you.

Good thing I'm not doing that then.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

XboxPants posted:

Good thing I'm not doing that then.

Previewing is at least as dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Billa posted:

Lots.

• Locked thread