Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

Third person mode makes it infinitely more usable

Lies! Don't use the flail ever. It is the worst weapon in the game. If you have to have the buckler, pick a mace or morningstar as your secondary and use that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Pretty sure it isn't as bad as the quarterstaff at least.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I know how to use it, it's just completely terrible for the knight. It removes all your versatility. Now you have two weapons with no loving range, a lovely shield that can't tank much and is easy as hell to get around, and nothing good to make up for it. The most success I've had is abusing the shield bash and overhead swing, since most people don't expect those. The problem I always run into though is that a competent player will parry them easily and then I'm hosed since my weapon sucks. Or I can't hit poo poo in a crowd because my weapon has no loving range gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress!

Cowcaster posted:

Taunt should really be you spinning it over your head like a maniac though.

Seriously, what even is the current taunt? You spin your shield around a bit. That wouldn't terrify a milkmaid.

Cowcaster posted:

Pretty sure it isn't as bad as the quarterstaff at least.

Quarterstaff is really fast and has good range on the alt attacks. It's my favorite Maa weapon and nowhere near as pathetic as the flails.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
Yeah, the quarterstaff is my favorite MaA weapon as well. The horizontal attack definitely has garbage range, but it is really good for comboing quickly after getting your opponent to waste his block or if you're coming off a dodge/block of your own.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Internet Kraken posted:

I know how to use it, it's just completely terrible for the knight. It removes all your versatility. Now you have two weapons with no loving range, a lovely shield that can't tank much and is easy as hell to get around, and nothing good to make up for it. The most success I've had is abusing the shield bash and overhead swing, since most people don't expect those. The problem I always run into though is that a competent player will parry them easily and then I'm hosed since my weapon sucks. Or I can't hit poo poo in a crowd because my weapon has no loving range gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress!
This answers my question of 'what Knight weapon to use first', because I've been working backwards through 'weapons that are a pain to use' and finishing off with the easy ones as I unlock stuff. It really makes the grind much less aggravating to me.

I'll admit, MMA was pretty fun the whole way through. Vanguard was more of a case of 'spears can't murder every which way' compared to their swords. Though oddly, I've caused more decapitations with the Default spear than the Billhook, somehow.

I expect the rest of archer to go by faster, now that it's just javelins to go. Since half the 'problem' was I bother to finish people off with melee when it's practical so less actual bow/crossbow kills.

Skaw posted:

Yeah, the quarterstaff is my favorite MaA weapon as well. The horizontal attack definitely has garbage range, but it is really good for comboing quickly after getting your opponent to waste his block or if you're coming off a dodge/block of your own.
Anyone I see busting out the Staff gets my respect no matter how good or bad they are with it.

EDIT: vvv huh, go figure. Does it show I haven't even touched Knight outside of the tutorial yet? MAA just looked so much more fun :downs:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Jul 28, 2013

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Section Z posted:

This answers my question of 'what Knight weapon to use first', because I've been working backwards through 'weapons that are a pain to use' and finishing off with the easy ones as I unlock stuff. It really makes the grind much less aggravating to me.

The flails already start unlocked from the get go anyway, you wouldn't be unlocking anything by using them.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
All of the accidental "MMA" typos in this thread made me realize that some sort of grappling system might be very fun in this kind of game.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The quarterstaff is my favorite weapon in the whole game. It's just so easy to chain combos with and gently caress up knights with alt lmb, it's great for taking out nearly any class.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Section Z posted:

Sometimes funny, sometimes annoying. When six out of twelve people on a FFA server are named Sir Somethingor other, running around as a vet helmet vanguard blob and spewing Xbox live grade insults every time they kill someone, meh. I once saw a pair of archers working together obviously, but that seemed more of a desperate bid to survive against the rank 40+ mega killstreak vanguard on a server full of otherwise single digit rankers. They actually left my MMA alone for the most part unless I ran right at them.

In my experience a player with the name of a Game of Thrones character is a real piece of poo poo and wont hesitate to call you a cheap friend of the family spic kike noob the moment you kill him.

quote:

Though I gotta wonder how some people pull it off when it's less obvious like 'Veteran helmet Vanguard Gang' and a mixed group of pals, considering the only time I've ever seen name popups is in Team vs modes and even then, only when you put your crosshair over a nearby teammember.

If someone is on your friends list their name appears in green over their character regardless of mode or team.

Sanzuo
May 7, 2007

I couldn't get into this game in the past because I suck. Recently though I just had one of those "moments" where I actually connected with a running attack with a greatsword and obliterated the other guy. It was just like getting my first headshot all over again.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Prince Reggie K posted:

All of the accidental "MMA" typos in this thread made me realize that some sort of grappling system might be very fun in this kind of game.

I'd love them to expand the punching to kick/sweeps or something. I'd also like them to fix punching being so lovely at times that I can't reliably hit things my fists are touching. If they did either of those I'd do nothing but fisticuffs all the time.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

In my experience a player with the name of a Game of Thrones character is a real piece of poo poo and wont hesitate to call you a cheap friend of the family spic kike noob the moment you kill him.

In my experience, its only people named Jaime Lannister.

vvv That too.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jul 28, 2013

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious
Also Thor's a real douchebag.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Orv posted:

I'd love them to expand the punching to kick/sweeps or something. I'd also like them to fix punching being so lovely at times that I can't reliably hit things my fists are touching. If they did either of those I'd do nothing but fisticuffs all the time.

Punching was perfectly viable until the last patch or two. The hitboxes were 'tightened up' just for punches, presumably because too many manchildren who refuse to switch from their greatswords cried about being stunlocked.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Sweet gently caress javelins are cool. It took me two days to grind through bows, one day to grind through crossbows... Then like, two hours to blow through javelins. I couldn't decide if I liked normal or light javelins more, since the former could usually 1 hit enemy archers from the waist up while the other I could hurl into clusterfucks more often, even if it took way more stabs to kill people in melee. Before Stopping to go eat something I gave the Heavy javelin a try, three kills in five seconds whoo. Like the longer reach on that thing enough to put up with it's slower speed.

EDIT: I'd probably stick to Crossbows, or attempt bows again in Team Objective though. Due to the basically nonexistent by comparison javelin ammo.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 28, 2013

buckets of buckets
Apr 8, 2012

CHECK OUT MY AWESOME POSTS
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=114&perpage=40#post447051278

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3681373&pagenumber=91&perpage=40#post444280066

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818944&pagenumber=196&perpage=40#post472627338

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3788178&pagenumber=405&perpage=40#post474195694

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3831643&pagenumber=5&perpage=40#post475694634

Section Z posted:

Sweet gently caress javelins are cool. It took me two days to grind through bows, one day to grind through crossbows... Then like, two hours to blow through javelins. I couldn't decide if I liked normal or light javelins more, since the former could usually 1 hit enemy archers from the waist up while the other I could hurl into clusterfucks more often, even if it took way more stabs to kill people in melee. Before Stopping to go eat something I gave the Heavy javelin a try, three kills in five seconds whoo. Like the longer reach on that thing enough to put up with it's slower speed.

EDIT: I'd probably stick to Crossbows, or attempt bows again in Team Objective though. Due to the basically nonexistent by comparison javelin ammo.

Heavy javelin is easily my favourite, it has many points in its favour. You're like a spartan on the battlefield, when sprinting the archer is actually pretty fast, and you can also throw pila whilst you're running. The stab 2 hit kills every class except the knight, and there is a handy tactic for dealing with knights. Many players are not aware that if you hold F rather than tap it, you do a more powerful kick for a chunk of health damage. In addition, if the knight is blocking with his shield when this heavy kick lands, he'll be stunlocked for a few moments. What do you do here? Why you throw a javelin into this head from 2 feet away, doing far much more damage than any melee weapon can do.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Robot Randy posted:

If someone is on your friends list their name appears in green over their character regardless of mode or team.
Well, unless you're on opposing teams, but FFA treats everyone as if they're on the same team for some reason. If they'd fix that it'd probably put an end to those FFA team-ups, but since it's Torn Banner we're talking about here this will probably never happen.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

As far as I remember, the quarterstaff got a significant buff a patch or two ago, it was nigh useless when first introduced, but I liked it all the same.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Section Z posted:

:ssh: You can run over the corpses of enemies you put a Jav into in order to get your ammo back. Technically it works with arrows too.

Blimpkin
Dec 28, 2003

DreamShipWrecked posted:

:ssh: You can run over the corpses of enemies you put a Jav into in order to get your ammo back. Technically it works with arrows too.

I do this for fun, putting throwing weapons into dead bodies, just to pick them up again.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

emanresu tnuocca posted:

People who play with friends and team up with each other on FFA matches, are they the worst? yes or yes?

It's always a funny moment when you swoop in to attack someone and you spot another person coming behind him, you're thinking to yourself "K, that can make things easier" and instead he just runs completely past him and bolts towards you. That's when you turn around and spam "Help".

I usually avoid killing my friends but sometimes I'll team up with them to make a ball of archers. Even teamed up you're still limited by being archers but it does make other people flip the gently caress out since while you're not racking up kills, a good group of archers is nearly un-approachable but still acts like catnip to other melee classes.

Robot Randy posted:

Punching was perfectly viable until the last patch or two. The hitboxes were 'tightened up' just for punches, presumably because too many manchildren who refuse to switch from their greatswords cried about being stunlocked.

I spent months as a dominant fists-only vanguard until that patch. :smith: On the other hand, going to MaA after that felt like cheating.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Works with live enemies/allies too. Accidentally throw your knife into that friendly knight's back? Just go yank it out.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Roach Warehouse posted:

Works with live enemies/allies too. Accidentally throw your knife into that friendly knight's back? Just go yank it out.

I did not know that and laugh loudly at the awkward situations that must create.

"Oh, Mr. Vanguard, tsch that *enemy* javelin looks like it really hurts. Let me just... there we go. Oh stop screaming, I only pulled out a foot of enemy steel. You can see it was from the enemy. It has "I hate Agartha" on it. No, you can't see. It might be too painful to see us besmirched like that"

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
I'm very bad at archery, 34 more kills to go to unlock the Heavy Crossbow, the last weapon I need to unlock.

With that said, the Thrusting Dagger feels like a considerable upgrade compared to the other two.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

I'm very bad at archery, 34 more kills to go to unlock the Heavy Crossbow, the last weapon I need to unlock.

With that said, the Thrusting Dagger feels like a considerable upgrade compared to the other two.

Yeah, getting that final crossbow is a complete pain in the rear end. If you're going the distance I recommend the light crossbow over the vanilla one, the hit you take in damage pales in comparison to how much faster you're able to reload the drat thing.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

Yeah, getting that final crossbow is a complete pain in the rear end. If you're going the distance I recommend the light crossbow over the vanilla one, the hit you take in damage pales in comparison to how much faster you're able to reload the drat thing.

Really? I've found the exact opposite, the slightly faster charge time isn't worth losing the ability to kill enemy archers with a single hit to the chest. You still need to stand still to reload even the light one, so it didn't feel like much of a gain to me. Together with the pavise (don't bother deploying it, just turn around while reloading) the vanilla one a great counter-archer tool on objective maps, which is how I got most of the kills for unlocking the heavy one.

Speaking of unlocking things, I finally got around to getting the last ~50 kills for the Zweihänder, using the Clamore. Suffice to say, I managed it in two rounds flat :stare: That thing is seriously in need of a nerf, I felt downright dirty using it.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Faster firing xbows are very helpful for my OCD. Though I am not as accurate over bows, I just can't kill people hard enough using bows. I am ditching archers if javs are not hilarious in combat.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

I dunno guys, I took the quarterstaff out for another spin and I'm still not convinced. It's sort of fast I guess, but nothing compared to the norse sword or the holy water sprinkler, both which do equal or better damage.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
When I grinded the unlock for the heavy crossbow (because let's be honest, unlike bows the tier 3 crossbow is better in every situation compared to it's tier 1 and 2 counterpart) I just went to a ffa server. Spawn, point your crossbow at the back of someone fighting, get a kill and switch to secondary to irritate someone into killing you so you can get more crossbow kills.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Woot, three rounds later and that's that. All weapons unlocked. Honestly I'm disappointed with the heavy crossbow, maybe I need more practice with it but it's just so slow and it doesn't feel like its bolts are significantly faster and easier to hit with.

Of all the archer weapons the Warbow was the most effective for me, with that said I really don't intend to play archer very often, it's just way more fun to melee in this game.

Trudis
Mar 23, 2008

This is the Dawning of the Age of Hilarious

Cowcaster posted:

I dunno guys, I took the quarterstaff out for another spin and I'm still not convinced. It's sort of fast I guess, but nothing compared to the norse sword or the holy water sprinkler, both which do equal or better damage.

Still not using the Broadsword?

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

In duel mode, it's actually quite good, especially against knights and vanguards. Outside that though all it's really good for it whacking people and running away laughing. It also supposedly makes you dodge faster, but I've never really paid attention enough to compare the effects.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Hilarion posted:

Still not using the Broadsword?

Not really helping the argument that the quarterstaff is good.

Which, of course, I cannot stop using now. I have a soft spot in my heart for bad and underpowered things.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 28, 2013

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

Not really helping the argument that the quarterstaff is good.

Which, of course, I cannot stop using now. I have a soft spot in my heart for bad and underpowered things.

This gets me in trouble a lot. I get pretty haughty and moralistic about using what I consider to be OP things, so I end up being gimped in the end.

Which is why I go into duel mode and the match balance is 5 archers, 12 vanguards, 8 knights, and 1 MAA (me)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Cowcaster posted:

Yup. Despite bitching about the flail a ton last page I'm still using the dumb thing. I've found that it is slightly more tolerable when you pair it up with a falchion. I mean if your primary is going to have gently caress all range your secondary might as well to. It's been useful against the Maa that get up in my face, since most of their weapons have short range as well.

Still no way to deal with good Vanguards though.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I don't know if this is actually true, but the quarterstaff appears to have a faster overhead than it does a stab. It really feels like it to me. If so, that would make it pretty freaking amazing just for that property.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

McSpanky posted:

I don't know if this is actually true, but the quarterstaff appears to have a faster overhead than it does a stab. It really feels like it to me. If so, that would make it pretty freaking amazing just for that property.

Nope, it is slower. Just barely though, and the weapon is crazy fast so it doesn't matter.

The broadsword, bardiche, and zweihander have faster OHs than slashes.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I am in love with the javelin. Heavy Javelin is awesome and feel like I have an edge with thrown and it has ok range.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DreamShipWrecked posted:

This gets me in trouble a lot. I get pretty haughty and moralistic about using what I consider to be OP things, so I end up being gimped in the end.

Which is why I go into duel mode and the match balance is 5 archers, 12 vanguards, 8 knights, and 1 MAA (me)

Do what I do: if you really get frustrated about your performance, go vanguard with a brandistock and overhead stab, stab, stab until you feel like an rear end in a top hat. Then switch back to whatever.

Internet Kraken posted:

Yup. Despite bitching about the flail a ton last page I'm still using the dumb thing. I've found that it is slightly more tolerable when you pair it up with a falchion. I mean if your primary is going to have gently caress all range your secondary might as well to. It's been useful against the Maa that get up in my face, since most of their weapons have short range as well.
Again, I like the norse sword as a partner. Lightning fast, high pierce damage for those pesky vanguards that are giving you trouble. Have I mentioned the norse sword before? I get the feeling I have.

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 29, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

This loving game.

• Locked thread