Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

I'm sure glad I know how Big Tits @The_EricFitz feels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Quick and dirty math time! (In which I reserve the right to use terrbile sources and or make idiotic mistakes.)

450 tons of contaminated water is 900,000,000 pounds. At 8.34 pounds be gallon, that's 107,914 gallons of contaminated water. PER DAY!!!!!!

A US gallon of water is .0037854 cubic meters.
107,914 gallons is 408.5 cubic meters.

The Pacific ocean is approximately 660,000,000 cubic kilometers in volume.
http://ngdc.noaa.gov/mgg/global/etopo1_ocean_volumes.html

A cubic kilometer is a billion cubic meters.

660,000,000 cubic kilometers is 660 quadrillion cubic meters.

660,000,000,000,000,000 cubic meters / 408.5 cubic meters per day
means that drat reactor is going to spit out an oceans worth of contaminated water every 1,615,667,000,000,000 days.

Or every 4.42 billion years.

Basically, enjoy getting cancer from that filet o' fish, sheeple.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Just out of curiosity, how long would it take for the materials from the reactor to lose their radiation anyways?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
What do you mean "lose"? Because there's different isotopes with different half lives.

According to wikipedia, the top three contaminants are Iodine-131, Cs-134, Cs-137. Iodine-131 has a half-life of 8 days. Cs-134 is 2 years and a few weeks, and Cs-137 is 30 years days.

Others are Ba-140 (13 days), Cs-136 (13 days), La-140 (1.6 days)

Cs-137 and Sr-90 are the primary causes of long-term radiation emissions from Chernobyl, according to wikipedia, but it is has not been sufficiently measured at Fukushima. It has been found in soil and water samples, but not in wildlife samples.

totalnewbie has a new favorite as of 23:31 on Aug 30, 2013

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

JoeyJoJoJr Shabadoo posted:

Yeah, she actually believed it was true. And I'm sure she will tell her students about it. America's teachers :patriot:

This is obviously bullshit, but :supaburn: RADIATION :supaburn:

And of course googling this results in plenty of legitimate sources such as naturalnews.com and endtimesreport.com.
This image was made by a poster in GBS after the tsunami when it came out that people in California were scrambling for iodine pills. Hilarious that it's still making the rounds.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

:stare:

What the fuckity gently caress is going on here. What the gently caress has to be wrong with your head that you decide it is a good idea to "prove" how much you love and trust each other by putting a gun to someone's head.

And then putting it in a publicly viewable place :psyduck: No, they aren't just trying to "prove" it to themselves, for some reason they feel the need to "prove" it to their friends and family. This is how people die in firearms related accidents.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Goosed it. posted:

This image was made by a poster in GBS after the tsunami when it came out that people in California were scrambling for iodine pills. Hilarious that it's still making the rounds.

That is amazing. The fact that a bunch of these dumb things posted on FB came from these forums makes me feel all squishy inside :allears:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Red Crown posted:

What the fuckity gently caress is going on here. What the gently caress has to be wrong with your head that you decide it is a good idea to "prove" how much you love and trust each other by putting a gun to someone's head.

And then putting it in a publicly viewable place :psyduck: No, they aren't just trying to "prove" it to themselves, for some reason they feel the need to "prove" it to their friends and family. This is how people die in firearms related accidents.

This is a thing. Gunplay and knifeplay are kinks that some people are into. I don't know if that's what's happening here, since the same person says it doesn't look like them in that post.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

450 tons of contaminated water is 900,000,000 pounds.

You're off by three orders of magnitudes :ssh:

450 short tons is 900 000 pounds, long tons is 1 008 000 pounds, metric is 992 080. :spergin:

Hot Sauce Batman
Oct 8, 2011

by T. Finninho

Electric Phantasm posted:

What's the point of dragging politics into this?

Well, they're both black you see.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

You're off by three orders of magnitudes :ssh:

450 short tons is 900 000 pounds, long tons is 1 008 000 pounds, metric is 992 080. :spergin:

Ahh crap. Knew I'd be dumb somewhere. Apparently only made the mistake while typing it out and not the subsequent calculations, so the rest of the bullshit math still stands.

Edit - also just noticed that I typed "pounds be gallon" instead of "per gallon." What the Hell? My fingers do not listen to my brain any more.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
You know, I dislike people parking in handicap spots as much as the next person, but these are some pretty extreme reactions.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Perry Normal posted:

You know, I dislike people parking in handicap spots as much as the next person, but these are some pretty extreme reactions.

As someone with a handicap that isn't readily observable, this scares the poo poo out of me.

I always feel self-conscious when I use handicap spots to begin with, despite my need, but I guess I'm not paranoid!

Fantastisk
May 19, 2011

After a long night of hooking, trade didn't like the session, so he had gutted me and set me on fire, but, you know, I didn't die. I had crystallized, and now I'm a glamazon bitch ready for the runway.

If he was an actual friend, I would've called him out on it, but I don't know him very well, he was just a groomsman at a wedding I was a bridesmaid at. I'm not even sure what he actually means by this.

"10 people like this" :negative:

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Fantastisk posted:

If he was an actual friend, I would've called him out on it, but I don't know him very well, he was just a groomsman at a wedding I was a bridesmaid at. I'm not even sure what he actually means by this.

"10 people like this" :negative:

"Female"? check
"Friendzone"? check

Now all we're missing is the fedora.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Perry Normal posted:

The fine for that in my city starts at about $500. That would sting more than saying something snarky (and possibly be completely wrong, because you can't see their placard/plate and their handicap is less visible)

I don't even know what's going on here.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Okay, so George Romney is a decent guy when it comes to civil rights. Great. What's the point?

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
People are still really sore about elections.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Friend sent this to me so I have no idea what the context is.

It seems like it's supposed to be a trollish response to someone talking about homosexuality being a choice; then again, I could be sorely mistaken.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
It may be a reference to Tony Abbott, Australian Prime Minister candidate, who stated in a radio interview he wasn't in support of changing marriage as gay marriage is just "the fad of the day".

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

canyoneer posted:

The fine for that in my city starts at about $500. That would sting more than saying something snarky (and possibly be completely wrong, because you can't see their placard/plate and their handicap is less visible)

Don't you get it? Obama simply has dark, dirty genes that make him unfit to lead. Because Mitt is descended from decent folk who fought against discrimination, he's the purebred genetically superior choice!

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

totalnewbie posted:

Okay, so George Romney is a decent guy when it comes to civil rights. Great. What's the point?

Probably along the lines of: "something something Obama's the real racist something"

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

canyoneer posted:

No, this makes perfect sense to me. My dad helped construct nuclear weapons in the Cold War therefore I should be trusted with the nation's nuclear armament.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

totalnewbie posted:

Obama's father was in Kenya, so clearly I don't even know what the gently caress. Also, the election has been over for almost a year, so maybe let it go and start looking for a good candidate for 2016, Republicans?

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Yeah, reading up on George Romney shows him to be a pretty alright guy. All that macro does is to illustrate how far the apple fell from the tree.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

I'm not sure if the friend zone originated with Scrubs, it's definitely the first time I heard it, but what no one who uses it realizes is how loving broken JD is when it comes to relationships.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

Elim Garak posted:

I'm not sure if the friend zone originated with Scrubs, it's definitely the first time I heard it, but what no one who uses it realizes is how loving broken JD is when it comes to relationships.

It comes from Friends I believe. Poor ol' Ross wanted to get out of the friendzone with Rachel.

Elim Garak
Aug 5, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

It comes from Friends I believe. Poor ol' Ross wanted to get out of the friendzone with Rachel.

Hmm, actually now that you say it that I think I remember that. I wouldn't particularly want to be Ross either though.

shortprsn
Apr 21, 2008

I'm not even sure why I accepted this girl's friend request.

my new dog
May 7, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Youtube comments are social media right?

________________________/

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Well, at least he stops when they say no.

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

The portrait of sadness: A man bragging about playing Mario Party alone, liking his own post, and throwing it up for the world to see.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

my new dog posted:

Youtube comments are social media right?

________________________/

Oh my god, it's like women might actually enjoy making out but not want sex just then for whatever reason.

Or maybe you're horrible at it and that's why they're just laying there (I'm hoping they're fully conscious)?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Red Crown posted:

His trigger discipline is fine. She should be commended for picking a responsible thug who knows his poo poo concerning fire arm safety. #realniggas #perspective #responsibleniggas

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo

I look vaguely like this guy and it's enough to make me hate myself.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Judakel posted:

His trigger discipline is fine. She should be commended for picking a responsible thug who knows his poo poo concerning fire arm safety. #realniggas #perspective #responsibleniggas

Went to 'like' this post then realized I wasn't actually on fb.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

belt posted:

I look vaguely like this guy and it's enough to make me hate myself.

I look almost exactly like Idra, I feel your pain man. Reclaim the bone structure! Be a better face than him!

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

shortprsn posted:

I'm not even sure why I accepted this girl's friend request.

Yes, all of the Spanish speakers should catch colds instead. Great idea!

AltoidsAddict
Sep 13, 2007

when they're yours you'll love them
There is no way that restricting public health information to God's Most Noble Language will hurt those who are smart enough to be born speaking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Judakel posted:

Having good trigger discipline and then pointing a gun at someone's head is kinda missing the forest for the trees, in terms of firearms safety.

• Locked thread