Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Deathy McDeath posted:

My question is: how long should someone train before sparring?

It's never too early to get experience. Don't know what your gym's like, but there might be a few penises who will just take the opportunity to beat the poo poo out of you rather than help you learn when sparring. Avoid them. But jump in whenever, it's good for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey fellas. First time poster, long-time reader.

I started training muay thai just about a month ago and I'm really enjoying it. I don't have all techniques down yet, but enough punches and kicks to throw a few combos together and whatnot. Depending on who you partner up with, drilling can either be a breeze, or really intense (though I'm sure it's the same with most places). My question is: how long should someone train before sparring? I like the punchkick, but I want to see how all this stuff measures up in real time as opposed to drills.

It took me about a year of training boxing before I started sparring, but I started out completely inactive and horribly out of shape. The coaches at the gym will have a good idea as to whether you are ready to start sparring.

Pooned
Dec 28, 2005

Eye contact counters everything
As other people mentioned, find someone to spar with who will not be an rear end in a top hat. Nothing can discourage a beginner more than getting clowned by someone with a big ego who beat you up after 5 total boxing classes. Not only is your technique horrible but you'll be so out of breath after the first 2 minutes that you can barely keep your hands up. It sucked and was one of the reasons I stopped going for a good while.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Pooned posted:

As other people mentioned, find someone to spar with who will not be an rear end in a top hat. Nothing can discourage a beginner more than getting clowned by someone with a big ego who beat you up after 5 total boxing classes. Not only is your technique horrible but you'll be so out of breath after the first 2 minutes that you can barely keep your hands up. It sucked and was one of the reasons I stopped going for a good while.

And somewhat paradoxically, it will be the most experienced guys that will be your best sparring partners when you are a complete neophyte. They won't be flailing around trying to hurt you, and they'll the defenses so you won't be able to hurt them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

mewse posted:

And somewhat paradoxically, it will be the most experienced guys that will be your best sparring partners when you are a complete neophyte. They won't be flailing around trying to hurt you, and they'll the defenses so you won't be able to hurt them.

New guys are way more of a menace to the experienced guys than the other way around.

Just because I've lifted you off the ground and am putting you down gently does not mean you should use that time to flail about and claw the poo poo of my neck. And keep your goddamn nails trimmed.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

mewse posted:

It took me about a year of training boxing before I started sparring, but I started out completely inactive and horribly out of shape. The coaches at the gym will have a good idea as to whether you are ready to start sparring.

Ya everyone is different. They let me spar pretty early, because I was in good shape and was showing up regularly and working hard. Also... I kinda snuck into the ring one afternoon and when I didn't die the trainer went with it after a solid lecture about how foolish that was and that I should never do it again.

Make it clear you want to spar and show you're serious by working hard and showing up. Then let your coach decide.

I only boxed for a few months but that was my experience. Boxing was awesome but I couldn't split the time with bjj plus all my other commitments so I had to stop. Still glad I did it, if only because I'm a little less scared of getting hit in the face. Although I am a lot more scared of getting punched in the body.

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Sep 9, 2013

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005

Deathy McDeath posted:

Hey fellas. First time poster, long-time reader.

I started training muay thai just about a month ago and I'm really enjoying it. I don't have all techniques down yet, but enough punches and kicks to throw a few combos together and whatnot. Depending on who you partner up with, drilling can either be a breeze, or really intense (though I'm sure it's the same with most places). My question is: how long should someone train before sparring? I like the punchkick, but I want to see how all this stuff measures up in real time as opposed to drills.

My Muay Thai gym has a pretty hard rule of no sparring when you're an entry level student. Once you test out of the entry level classes, you're free to spar all day every day. Bonus, our gym even has a ring you can climb in if you want to spar with someone.

I wish I could go sparring now, but I'm still at the entry level. I've been going for about 3 months and I'm hoping to test within the next month or two. The test consists of being able to throw the basic punches, kicks, elbows and knees. You're also tested on your ability to throw combos, dodge/slip attacks, check kicks and clinch. Only problem is that they make you decide when you're ready to test. I never feel ready! :(

I can see why they do it this way. I assume they want to make sure that you don't get in way over your head and/or not hurt your sparring partner because you lack control in your techniques.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

fatherdog posted:

While I personally think any art that doesn't spar is absolutely worthless as a martial art, this is dumb. There are all sorts of boxers and kickboxers that don't spar every workout.

Yeah my gym is twice a week since we go hard. Maybe 3 times right at the beginning of golden gloves season.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
If you're properly communicating that you're a novice and have never sparred before you'll get a higher up to step in the ring with you and simulate fight movement and correct your habits while you guys go really light, just to get you out of that zone of fear that new guys live in for a while.

So long as the novice isn't trying to prove something no one ends up getting knocked silly and you can still learn to find comfort in the ring.

Personally I advocate day 1 sparring for people just to tear that proverbial band-aid off as quick as possible because I have seen people who've been training for years who are still super hesitant and uncomfortable with sparring because they still have it on some weird pedestal in their mind.

Erberus
Mar 30, 2010
What do people think of this school: http://www.taichinews.com/

It's really near where I live/work and it offers exactly what I want (beginners Tai Chi). However I'm slightly hesitant because they only do 14 week long courses and when I asked about trying it out they said pay in full then request a refund if you didn't enjoy the first session.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Erberus posted:

What do people think of this school: http://www.taichinews.com/

It's really near where I live/work and it offers exactly what I want (beginners Tai Chi). However I'm slightly hesitant because they only do 14 week long courses and when I asked about trying it out they said pay in full then request a refund if you didn't enjoy the first session.

I mean what is even the difference between a "good" and "bad" Tai Chi class? If you go and get your relaxation/meditation on and the price works for you, I'm sure it's fine. A 3-month commitment is par for the course for martial arts schools, though not allowing a trial session is a little strange (but understandable if they're enrolling 'courses' ahead of time).

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 9, 2013

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean what is even the difference between a "good" and "bad" Tai Chi class? If you go and get your relaxation/meditation on and the price works for you, I'm sure it's fine. A 3-month commitment is par for the course for martial arts schools, though not allowing a trial session is a little strange (but understandable if they're enrolling 'courses' ahead of time).

I don't know too much about it either but I'm fairly sure there is a difference and different classes will serve you better or worse depending on what you're looking for. You can probably hew more toward the meditation/relaxation, exercise, self-defense (which is a thing in Tai Chi but obviously pretty terrible), or I guess if you really want to enter push-hands tournaments or something.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

Xguard86 posted:

I'm a little less scared of getting hit in the face... a lot more scared of getting punched in the body.

This is the goddamn truth

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

McNerd posted:

I don't know too much about it either but I'm fairly sure there is a difference and different classes will serve you better or worse depending on what you're looking for. You can probably hew more toward the meditation/relaxation, exercise, self-defense (which is a thing in Tai Chi but obviously pretty terrible), or I guess if you really want to enter push-hands tournaments or something.

On this topic, can anyone explain push hands competition and what the rules are? From what I can tell it's basically that if you move your feet you lose, but I'm not 100% clear on what's allowed in terms of grabbing people's wrists and stuff like that.

And then when I look at push hands tournaments in China it's basically just shuaijiao.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Sep 9, 2013

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Dangersim posted:

This is the goddamn truth

Face stinging for a week tops and looking cool vs. a single tweaked rib and being immobile for months.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
[SPARRING CHAT]

I also think you don't need to spar every class at all, and many of our boxers do a ton of classes without any, but the fact for me is that... it's just so fun.

[OTHER CHAT]

In other news, I'm finally, after thinking over it for a few years, starting a weight lifting program on the side. Now that we have a weight room so I don't have to invest in another club membership to do it or use the public more or less free gyms which are really out of the way of any place I ever go to.

Basically a variant of 5x5, and now that we have a few girls working in the reception who on their own time are avid lifters and can help me out, it helps so I don't have to break my body doing everything wrong. I don't have targets as such, except to burn fat and add some general muscle because who doesn't want to be a powerful individual who can throw people through walls and poo poo. Also I'm not 20 years of age anymore, in fact old enough to start losing muscle tissue if I don't work on it a bit.

Ligur fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Sep 9, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

While I personally think any art that doesn't spar is absolutely worthless as a martial art, this is dumb. There are all sorts of boxers and kickboxers that don't spar every workout.

They'll be doing some drill they can fail at. Mitwork can substitute, for example. Please read more carefully before you call me dumb especially since my post was a whole whopping two sentences.

edit: woah latepost. I must've written and not submitted this this morning; anyway someone mentioned the word 'live' -you got to do something live every class -something where you have an objective and you can fail at it/the environment isn't completely predictable. Even just doing the three counters you learned that day as your partner feeds you one of the three entries so you have to recognize it quickly would count.

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Sep 10, 2013

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Syphilis Fish posted:

They'll be doing some drill they can fail at. Mitwork can substitute, for example.

If you consider mitwork "something you can fail at" then "something you can fail at" is broad enough to include more or less anything and your statement was entirely meaningless.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Syphilis Fish and fatherdog sure do get along like a house of fire :)

Erberus
Mar 30, 2010

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I mean what is even the difference between a "good" and "bad" Tai Chi class?

I don't know, which is why I asked.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Failing at hitting pads is when the pads hit you harder than you hit them. Round 1 goes to the focus mitts.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Ligur posted:

Remember, a ton of martial arts are so effective sparring would risk injury... or even death :colbert:

Friend had me go to a TMA class with him this week and this was the reason we couldn't even make contact during the drills because we might DIE they were too powerful. Except on the street, of course, then you show no mercy. :smug:

The sequence started with you blocking a punch and ended with you tearing their throat out.

I felt like I was in a Bullshido post come to life.

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Sep 10, 2013

Syphilis Fish
Apr 27, 2006

fatherdog posted:

If you consider mitwork "something you can fail at" then "something you can fail at" is broad enough to include more or less anything and your statement was entirely meaningless.

You can get hit; you can fail ducking under a hook, you can fail to keep your hands up. You can fail at positioning yourself. You can fail at keeping proper distance. There's so much to do with mits that can be a little 'game' with win/lose. First day beginners might not even want to do that; that's something else. I'm not talking about someone who has to learn their jab/straight left is the #1, the straight right is the #2 and how to throw them; someone who has been to several sessions. Say.. 2-5 needs to do active drills, live drills. Spar. If you think sparring always means going super hard, or fighting, then you're doing it wrong. A spar is a 'game' which is 'live' you have an objective, the other guy has an objective and they clash. When i'm holding mits for someone, my goal is to hit him when he doesn't keep his hands up until he learns (Or whatever else we're working on, maybe it's distance. Maybe he's supposed to step in on my leg kick, or deal with one of my other attacks.).

It could just be so simple as a pummel drill where both parties just have to get two underhooks.

Sure you can hit the bag as a (kick)bokser for an hour and that'd be your workout, but you're doing cardio. You're not really (kick)boxing. That's the cardio part of your workout. I guess I'm arguing semantics at this point but, hell, I don't think I've ever been at a class at Vos or Mejiro etc where I didn't have to spar, unless it was specifically a cardio(bagwork) class. People who go to those classes and call themselves (kick)bokser are delusional.

(let's drop it / not clutter the thread? We're just going to disagree into infinity haha)

Syphilis Fish fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 10, 2013

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Did a full hour of sparring as a lesson today, my instructor likes to do that to us occasionally had a few good rounds my only problems were sparring with a dude who's nearly 7ft, and sparring with my instructor who is an expert at landing heavy thigh kicks to my front leg (right leg I'm a lefty) after two I could no longer move my leg fast enough to get out the way or attempt a check and took another 4 shots before the end of the round......on the last one I hit the deck and it's still throbbing now.

To be fair he does have 25 years of martial arts experience!! Good times!!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Syphilis Fish posted:

You can get hit; you can fail ducking under a hook, you can fail to keep your hands up. You can fail at positioning yourself. You can fail at keeping proper distance. There's so much to do with mits that can be a little 'game' with win/lose. First day beginners might not even want to do that; that's something else. I'm not talking about someone who has to learn their jab/straight left is the #1, the straight right is the #2 and how to throw them; someone who has been to several sessions. Say.. 2-5 needs to do active drills, live drills. Spar. If you think sparring always means going super hard, or fighting, then you're doing it wrong. A spar is a 'game' which is 'live' you have an objective, the other guy has an objective and they clash. When i'm holding mits for someone, my goal is to hit him when he doesn't keep his hands up until he learns (Or whatever else we're working on, maybe it's distance. Maybe he's supposed to step in on my leg kick, or deal with one of my other attacks.).

It could just be so simple as a pummel drill where both parties just have to get two underhooks.

Sure you can hit the bag as a (kick)bokser for an hour and that'd be your workout, but you're doing cardio. You're not really (kick)boxing. That's the cardio part of your workout. I guess I'm arguing semantics at this point but, hell, I don't think I've ever been at a class at Vos or Mejiro etc where I didn't have to spar, unless it was specifically a cardio(bagwork) class. People who go to those classes and call themselves (kick)bokser are delusional.

(let's drop it / not clutter the thread? We're just going to disagree into infinity haha)

What you are describing are drills, sparring has a specific definition. Also it is spelled boxer.

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Over here we spell it boxeur :colbert:

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
Huge news!!! I've been approved as a PhD candidate. I'll be spending the next two plus years researching punching assessment and performance. I'm going to be a punchy-ologist!!!!

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

Huge news!!! I've been approved as a PhD candidate. I'll be spending the next two plus years researching punching assessment and performance. I'm going to be a punchy-ologist!!!!

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

That's awesome :)

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax
Uuuh what I day, first spend normal work hours fighting Windows 8 update, eat banana, instruct cardio class and run around, drink energy drink, instruct another cardio class, eat banana, hit the weights room (bench and squatz), drink protein shake, sit for a while, shadow box and hit the focus bags, drink some kind of carb-elixir I got from the desk because almost ready to pass out THEN instruct a technique class, become invigorated by elixir and do all the core exercises and bagwork sets along with the class.

This was one of these days when I was really glad I prepared some full wheat, chicken, basil and chili sandwiches to take with so I could eat them with shaky hands on the bus home. Too much for one day? Yeaaah... but I figured out I'd instruct all my classes the same day so I can make my own schedule for the rest of the week!

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Back in the gym after my first week off (traveling for work) since I broke my wrist a year and a half ago. I'd been getting in cardio every night though, so I figured rolling hard wouldn't be too taxing. I was wrong. :barf:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Great interview with ASA vice president and sambo Master of Sport Vlad Koulikov. Lots of discussion about cross training philosophy and the differences between different types of grappling disciplines.

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCcMzNQMx-k&t=2430s

Part 2 (technique demonstration)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQGlo16tou8&t=17s

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Sep 17, 2013

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
My school has a legit Judo club but a kind sketchy BJJ club (no real instructors). I was kind of set on doing BJJ but I think it would be a better idea just to do get into Judo first with real instructors. Am I right?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

SuperSix posted:

My school has a legit Judo club but a kind sketchy BJJ club (no real instructors). I was kind of set on doing BJJ but I think it would be a better idea just to do get into Judo first with real instructors. Am I right?

Yes. Also Judo owns.

Young Angel
Aug 31, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Does anyone know any good martial arts centers in the Tampa, Florida area. I am a flabby novice and I would like to learn something practical. So far I've narrowed it down to one of the Gracie Tampa locations or Tampa Muay Thai can anyone here vouch for one of those places? Also there is a Karate dojo five minutes from my house but at 25 I feel goofy practicing the art. Am I being stupid or as an adult should I just stick to BJJ/Muay Thai?

Young Angel fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Sep 18, 2013

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Young Angel posted:

Does anyone know any good martial arts centers in the Tampa, Florida area. I am a flabby novice and I would like to learn something practical. So far I've narrowed it down to one of the Gracie Tampa locations or Tampa Muay Thai can anyone here vouch for one of those places? Also there is a Karate dojo five minutes from my house but at 25 I feel goofy practicing the art. Am I being stupid or as an adult should I just stick to BJJ/Muay Thai?

There are some goons in this thread who I'm pretty sure are familiar with the MT and Gracie places you mentioned. On Karate it's one of those things, you just can't tell based off it being simply called "karate".

I've been to Karate schools that teach things in a really practical way i.e. They taught to use a pretty standard lower MMA type stance, to throw punching combinations but more emphasis on your straight being your murder weapon and hitting powerfully and accurately as is the Karate M.O. it was more like kick boxing based from Karate than Karate itself which is really the only practical way to teach it imo.

Then again I've seen others that teach the really rigid psudeo traditional "you stand this way", "must throw things like this because that's the Karate way, which is the only way" kind of bullshit that you'd feel stupid doing because it is stupid.

Honestly the only way to know if you'll like this kind of stuff is to give it a go. Most gyms will offer you a free lesson or two to see if you're a fit. There's a lot that goes into picking a gym imo, if you want to be in it for the long haul you've got to find a good instructor with a good program that fits what you want to do along with good training partners. If you're going to spend 3-4 hours a week or more rolling around or throwing leather with people who have your safety at least partly in your hands you don't want them to be assholes.

My personal advice would be to go Muay Thai or BJJ since the last twenty years of combat sports has kind of shown they're the two most effective disciplines along with boxing and wrestling in martial arts, even if they have a fairly steep learning curve. Either way so long as the schools are solid you won't be learning anything useless and the "live" practices of sparring and rolling will give you practical fighting ability. Even if you never compete you'll be trained enough after a year or so to look after yourself and you'll gain a lot of fitness and confidence.

KingColliwog
May 15, 2003

Let's go droogs
Holy crap I love my new dojo :| I don't know why I waited so long to switch. Olympian coach? Check. Olympians to train with? check. I think I learned more in the past 3 weeks than in a full regular semester where I used to go.

Also, I can finally get 1 class a week of BJJ because it's taught there so my life is now 10x more awesome.

I know this is a useless post, just wanted to share my happiness.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

SuperSix posted:

you are correct sir.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Young Angel posted:

I am a flabby novice and I would like to learn something practical.

Have you considered Krav Maga?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

KingColliwog posted:

I know this is a useless post, just wanted to share my happiness.

How can sharing happiness be useless :glomp:

• Locked thread