Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

They should have made the Hurricane be called Hurricane Laura Moser just for shits and giggles. Also I'm going to upload these videos of this dude killing people and not have have to worry about my IP being tracked :suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Billionaire
Mar 31, 2009

What a twist
Fan of Britches
IGN gave it a 6.8 which I guess is actually pretty bad? But still,

quote:

No, "Monkey in a Box," wasn't outright terrible, but it also wasn't close to anything I wanted from the penultimate series episode of Dexter. Way too much of this season has dealt with, and focused on, characters who've only just been introduced to us instead doing something great and vital with the characters it already has. I'll admit to this. I really liked the huge corner Dexter turned in the end. Finally, he rid himself of his "Dark Passenger." And he didn't even pull one of those "I don't need to kill you, but I'm going to kill you anyway" deals. He actually decided to turn Saxon over to the police, choosing Hannah (at the eleventh hour, of course) over his desire to stab someone.

A human being wrote this.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Steinuh posted:

They should have made the Hurricane be called Hurricane Laura Moser just for shits and giggles. Also I'm going to upload these videos of this dude killing people and not have have to worry about my IP being tracked ::<:
Yeah, what? He made it seem like he was gonna do that anonymously, yet he was doing it from his laptop. If he was doing it anonymously, I feel like we would've heard an inner monologue about it.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
^^^ If you don't say your name, it's totally anonymous! Isn't the internet great?

Does someone at IGN also write for Dexter, or what?

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

I watched Breaking Bad and then this and it was like eating filet mignon and then having someone literally shove poo poo into my mouth.

That's why you eat the poo poo sandwich first to get it over with.

suztan
Jul 4, 2012

So I don't know about the rest of you but the guy in the background wildly gesticulating while Dex was talking with Quinn at Batista Bar was unironically the best part of the episode (beating even Saxon's gas-pump look-lean) and I would offer my firstborn if someone would make a gif of that.

Pretty much this is the most giffable episode of Dexter episode, which is the only praise you can give it.

Smellem Sexbad
Sep 16, 2003
I wish Lumen were here. She would know what to do.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, what? He made it seem like he was gonna do that anonymously, yet he was doing it from his laptop. If he was doing it anonymously, I feel like we would've heard an inner monologue about it.
He used the TV station's own secure web submission form AND signed it Concerned Citizen what else do you want :mad:

You have to appreciate the over the top camera movement in that scene.

suztan posted:

So I don't know about the rest of you but the guy in the background wildly gesticulating while Dex was talking with Quinn at Batista Bar was unironically the best part of the episode (beating even Saxon's gas-pump look-lean) and I would offer my firstborn if someone would make a gif of that.

Pretty much this is the most giffable episode of Dexter episode, which is the only praise you can give it.
Nothing will ever top treadmill or beard babies in terms of gifs :colbert:

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

suztan posted:

That guy will probably end up being the real big bad this season.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Edit: gently caress this show.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

And what the hell is with bringing Miguel's wife back out of nowhere?

Honestly that hot piece of rear end was the only good reason to watch this episode. I mean, besides the tubgirl animated gif above.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp
Wow, Dexter went full Doctor Evil.

On a guy that knows all about him with a history of escaping.

The one silver lining was Quinn with the wedding ring.

HenessyHero
Mar 4, 2008

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:
There's nothing I enjoy more than not watching Dexter but still coming to this thread to read reactions :allears:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Social Animal posted:

Honestly that hot piece of rear end was the only good reason to watch this episode.

Speaking of hot pieces, I miss the Puerto Rican Venezuelan cop. Her and Quair made Season 5 watchable.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I have to try to itemise this poo poo for my own sanity. From the beginning:

- Dex rushes to Deb's house and they bond over their shared grief for a woman nobody actually cared about. "I know how much she meant to you." Since loving when?

- Hannah shows Dex their travel plans and he says, "And no-one can trace us". Why would anyone be trying Dexter? You've handed in notice and told the Captain of Miami Homicide you're going there already. Everyone thinks you're a normal guy, so why even bother trying to hide your tracks? I think this must be a legacy line from a version of the script when things were actually happening, like plot progression and tension.

- Who's this real estate lady we're supposed to know? Oh poo poo, it's Miguel Prado's wife! Wow, I care so much because ummm, gimme a second here.

- Dex tries to sell his boat. "I kinda hoped it'd have a bigger beer cooler" :haw: RIVETING TELEVISION!

- Masuka's "I could go with some hookers and some blow right about now". A horrible lovable one dimensional stereotype is the only interesting person left on this show.

- "Hello Dexter Morgan" was one of the most chilling lines in the show's history. Walmart home brand Ryan Gosling is not John Lithgow.

- DNA swab almost sorta gave us a bit of a decent plot moment there, linking psycho son to Ikea Monkey. Credit where it's due. I wonder how long until they gently caress it up?

- An abandoned building in Miami with the power still on and it's not filled with homeless people and drug addicts? Also swinging bag. Also, wheelchair outlined against dusty rays of ghostly light! Where's my shot in front of a slowly rotating ventilation fan?

- Those glass cabinets in the kill room. The ones with interior lights. Yeah, I want those in my bathroom. First time I've been interested in what was on the screen all night.

- Oh, hey look, it's the Deputy Marshall hunting Hannah. Remember him? Boy, you could cut the tension with a knife. He's hot on Hannah's heels! Sure is lucky he didn't go to Deb's house again and look in any of those open windows or anything. Or that the hospital emergency room didn't have security cameras.

- Oh, they're actually showing Ikea Monkey's funeral. I was wrong - there are actually two interesting characters left on this show:

- Yet another 20 seconds of Masuka Dad and his wacky daughter. drat, now I've stopped caring about him because this plotline is going nowhere. Unless she skins him and axe murders half of Miami Metro in the next (final) episode, what oh god what was the point of having her on beyond that one time we got to see her tits?

Oh god, the show's only half over. Super Nintendo Matthews, I'm going to take you up on that offer of a drink.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Sep 16, 2013

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Hey guys, remember when Deb was shot in the stomach already in the exact spot but on the other side, and it wasn't a big deal at all? gently caress this show. Everything's convenience. The Marshall doesn't check the hospital IF IT HAS CAMERAS :wtc: he also doesn't see the news, like at all about Saxon? And apparently Saxon getting arrested would be one hell of a problem for Dexter. Like does he not think at all?

"My boat has GPS." So you mean they could see how many drat times you've gone to ONLY one spot and it was where the BHB dumped his bodies?? Hmmm.

And onto my earlier post about Dexter not realizing consequences of HIS actions and how it messes with other people, specifically his family (kudos for the writers for remembering what happened to Rita and Dex to look remotely annoyed of the mention of her) look at the first 10 minutes of BB episode. Seriously. It's GODDAMN amazing. Dexter is Tim Buckley moved past it and healed.

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.
Was there ever any real explanation given as to why Dexter is so ~in love~ with blonde bitch #17? I mean Jesus Christ they went as far as to say that his love for her is basically "curing" him of the desire to kill this episode, but it seems like there's been no justification for him to feel so close to her MUCH LESS have his love for her displace his impulse to kill. I seem to recall some voiceovers talking about how she "understands him" or w/e but loving WHY. I know that people complain about Lila from season 2 but at least her connection to Dexter was fleshed out with reasons beyond "she has a nice rear end." Also: did I miss something or did the idea that Dexter might not want to kill people anymore just come way the gently caress out of left field this ep?

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Oh, they're actually showing Ikea Monkey's funeral. I was wrong - there are actually two interesting characters left on this show:

Hey man, Batista wore his mourning fedora. Also "Hey lets turn this funeral INTO A PAAAAARTAAAAAAY" :suicide:

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

suztan posted:

Ahahaha this was all I could focus on in that scene. What the gently caress was that guy doing. What the gently caress is this show doing, this all has to be ironic right

Tom Toddlesworth
Nov 4, 2008

There is something profoundly erotic about the cosmos.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I have to try to itemise this poo poo for my own sanity. From the beginning:

- Dex rushes to Deb's house and they bond over their shared grief of a woman nobody actually cared about. "I know how much she meant to you." Since loving when?

- Hannah shows Dex their travel plans and he says, "And no-one can trace us". Why would anyone be trying, Dexter? You've handed in notice and told the Captain of Miami Homicide you're going there already. Everyone thinks you're a normal guy, so why even bother trying to hide your tracks? I think this must be a legacy line from a version of the script when things were actually happening, like plot progression and tension.

- Who's this real estate lady we're supposed to know? Oh poo poo, it's Miguel Prado's wife! Wow, I care so much because ummm, gimme a second here.

- Dex tries to sell his boat. "I kinda hoped it'd have a bigger beer cooler" :haw: RIVETING TELEVISION!

- Masuka's "I could go with some hookers and some blow right about now". A horrible lovable one dimensional stereotype is the only interesting person left on this show.

- "Hello Dexter Morgan" was one of the most chilling lines in the show's history. Walmart home brand Ryan Gosling is not John Lithgow.

- DNA swab almost sorta gave us a bit of a decent plot moment there, linking psycho son to Ikea Monkey. Credit where it's due. I wonder how long until they gently caress it up?

- An abandoned building in Miami with the power still on and it's not filled with homeless people and drug addicts? Also swinging bag. Also, wheelchair outlined against dusty rays of ghostly light! Where's my shot in front of a slowly rotating ventilation fan?

- Those glass cabinets in the kill room. The ones with interior lights. Yeah, I want those in my bathroom. First time I've been interested in what was on the screen all night.

- Oh, hey look, it's the Deputy Marshall hunting Hannah. Remember him? Boy, you could cut the tension with a knife. He's hot on Hannah's heels! Sure is lucky he didn't go to Deb's house again and look in any of those open windows or anything. Or that the hospital emergency room didn't have security cameras.

- Oh, they're actually showing Ikea Monkey's funeral. I was wrong - there are actually two interesting characters left on this show:

- Yet another 20 seconds of Masuka Dad and his wacky daughter. drat, now I've stopped caring about him because this plotline is going nowhere. Unless she skins him and axe murders half of Miami Metro in the next (final) episode, what oh god what was the point of having her on beyond that one time we got to see her tits?

Oh god, the show's only half over. Super Nintendo Matthews, I'm going to take you up on that offer of a drink.

Masuka's "hookers and blow" line might be the laziest bit of writing in Dexter history and that's saying A LOT. I literally cringed.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?

Tom Toddlesworth posted:

Was there ever any real explanation given as to why Dexter is so ~in love~ with blonde bitch #17? I mean Jesus Christ they went as far as to say that his love for her is basically "curing" him of the desire to kill this episode, but it seems like there's been no justification for him to feel so close to her MUCH LESS have his love for her displace his impulse to kill. I seem to recall some voiceovers talking about how she "understands him" or w/e but loving WHY. I know that people complain about Lila from season 2 but at least her connection to Dexter was fleshed out with reasons beyond "she has a nice rear end." Also: did I miss something or did the idea that Dexter might not want to kill people anymore just come way the gently caress out of left field this ep?

Because love.

Why love?

Because she accept the "whole Dexter".

What does that mean?

It means she doesn't care about Dexter killing people one way or the other except for that one time she rolled her eyes at the "Dark Passenger" stuff.

Which is what love is.

True Love in "Dexter" is not caring at all about another person or their issues except for that time you roll your eyes and say "Dark Whatever".

Deep Thoughts.

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
It's because Hannah is finally someone Dexter can be himself with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

squarerandom posted:

Hey guys, remember when Deb was shot in the stomach already in the exact spot but on the other side, and it wasn't a big deal at all? gently caress this show. Everything's convenience.
I really hope she dies just from that one gunshot. Her death would be so gloriously unceremonious :allears:

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

deafmute posted:

He used the TV station's own secure web submission form AND signed it Concerned Citizen what else do you want :mad:

Of all the dumb poo poo in this episode this is what you people are complaining about? TV shows are always unrealistic with computers and honestly this isn't even impossible, just assume he was using TOR or something. This is the guy who kidnaps people off the sidewalk and commits murder in airports, I don't think I'm gonna care if he submits a web form anonymously.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Speaking of, Dexter dumping Vogels files in the computer trash bin wouldn't solve much. Those files are still recovarable on a hard drive as long as they're aren't replaced with other data. I've done it myself with cheap user friendly software whenever i regretted deleting anything.

He should have just taken the computer and smashed it, or download some huge file to fill up the hard drive.

I know, this is overthinking it when it comes to Dexter, Miami Metro wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I hate Dexter so much more after having just finished watching the most recent (excellent) Breaking Bad ep.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Falukorv posted:

Speaking of, Dexter dumping Vogels files in the computer trash bin wouldn't solve much. Those files are still recovarable on a hard drive as long as they're aren't replaced with other data. I've done it myself with cheap user friendly software whenever i regretted deleting anything.

He should have just taken the computer and smashed it, or download some huge file to fill up the hard drive.

I know, this is overthinking it when it comes to Dexter, Miami Metro wouldn't know what to do with it anyways.

Not to defend this shitstorm of a season but he specifically chose "Secure Delete" or something like that. Usually that means it deletes the files than writes random information over it.

pizza is under bridge
Aug 1, 2003

This is some of the worst TV I have ever seen. Show sucks, etc.

hexedangel
Mar 13, 2005

It's just a game we play... in the dark...
Dexter himself actually summed up the entire season (and the last few as well) in this episode.

"I don't really want to be here."

I don't think MCH was acting when he said that line.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Guys I'm confused. I watched Breaking Bad after this show and how come I know what Walt is thinking without him doing a voice over telling me so?

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xtvsiB7MZQ

Wow. The scene where she gets shot looks like an 80's movie. Also note her "acting" when she calls the police.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

AstroWhale posted:

Wow. The scene where she gets shot looks like an 80's movie. Also note her "acting" when she calls the police.

Holy poo poo, I haven't seen Dexter since season 5 and I swear to god that clip could have passed off for something from 70s blaxploitation

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Parity warning posted:

Ahahaha this was all I could focus on in that scene. What the gently caress was that guy doing. What the gently caress is this show doing, this all has to be ironic right

Everyone in Miami is a ~psychopath~ which is why nobody behaves like a normal human being. As Dexter recovers from the trauma of his mother's death, the bizarre behavior of everyone around him becomes more & more apparent. This is actually incredibly clever & meta writing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I can't believe how hard the second half of this show was to get through. Who would have thought bland could be so painful. I got to the part where Dex and Deb walked off on Saxon, looked over and saw there were only 5 minutes left and I was almost unable to bring myself to watch that last, stupid part.

This is the second wall of text I've posted tonight and I'm sorry, but it's the only thing that got me through this episode. "It's cathartic"

- Dex and Quair had a little heart to heart. It's so important to get the blessing of a man you once thought was a serial killer and very likely murdered the PI you had investigating him.

- Angel. Dammit man, you're the only good person on this show.

- Oh hey there Not Ryan Gosling. "Let's walk away from each other." Wait, that's actually sensible. Dexter, "I missed the point" Yes. Yes you did. So did the writers and everyone else involved in this show for the last few years.

- poo poo, even Not Ryan Gosling knows Dexter is dating Hannah. What is that US Marshall doing all day?

- "You already had one wife murdered. That must be an interesting story." YES IT WAS. You're just rubbing our noses in it now, aren't you.

- Oh hey there Marshall. Why are you talking to this creep? Is there some law against going to Deb's house and just looking through the windows?

- Elway, a sleaze to the very end. Pity he didn't hang around a few minutes to watch Deb drive Hannah to a hotel.

- Deb thinks Dex should leave Not Ryan Gosling alone and be with Hannah. Pity about that whole threatening Deb and the step kids thing. No, I'm sure the guy who cuts peoples' heads open and removes parts of their brains will leave them all alone. If you can't trust a crazy murderer to keep his word, then what is the world coming to?

- Will someone keep Dexter away from computers, please? Remember what I just said about him threatening to kill Deb and the step kids? So piss him off as publicly as possible. What could go wrong? Why don't we ask Rita?

- Deb steps up and has a moment with her brother while waiting for Saxon. Almost touching. I just can't get the incest plotline out of my head though.

- Look at all these cops searching Deb's house. Welp, hope you weren't set on that career as a cop again. Pretty sure a US Marshall suspecting you of hiding a serial killer counts as a black mark on your record. Especially when you're a homicide detective.

- poo poo Astor is old enough to drive? They grow up so fast. Seems like only yesterday she was smoking pot and Dex had to threaten her friend's dad for some reason.

- "Dad gave me the code so I would know the right thing to do, but you, you've always known," Like shooting dead Homicide Captain Maria Laguerta in a shipping container. And aiding and abetting a serial killer.

- loving Dexter! Okay, that got a laugh.

- "Freeze motherfucker!" Seriously, they had one last chance to use "Surprise motherfucker!" and they blew it :argh:

- "Murder solve rate is about 20%" You guys should really stop reminding me of when this show was good, because it really does not reflect well on what's happening right now.

- "I don't need to kill you, I can walk away?" You're not going to let him go are you? Oh, you're going to call the cops. On a guy who knows everything about you, including having Ikea Monkey's old files and video tapes of your father training you to kill. poo poo, even if you don't care about yourself, that's going to be really damaging to Deb's career as a cop. Oh wait, a US Marshall already thinks she's harbouring a serial killer and has had police trash her house. Well, at least Deb can always go back to working with Elway :downs:

- Hey it's the US Marshall again. Hi there US Marshall.

- And Dex and Deb just walk away leaving Saxon awake in the chair. No. I'm sorry, but no. Nobody in the entire world would ever do this. Ever.

- Goodbye Ghost Dad :byewhore:

- Goodbye US Marshall :byewhore:

- Goddammit, that went right in the last bullet hole! Owwwww. Owwwww.

- Stupid loving voiceover. I know it's meant to be ironic or something, but really, it's just dumb.

- Ooh, that preview looked really tense. Hah! Your lies can't hurt me anymore Showtime!

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Guys the computer stuff is there just to distract and make you spend your energy complaining about the small stuff when the season as a whole is an incomprehensible mess.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

AstroWhale posted:

Holy gently caress, the slow motion at the end -- didn't even bother to shoot high speed and slow it down so that the framerate would be standard, it's standard framerate slowed down which means it's juddery as hell. That's just cheap as gently caress looking.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I laughed out loud at Dexters "Oliver Saxon..again" when turns up to Dexters house. Its like "oh, the villain of the season...this loving guy again".

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Gorilla Salad posted:

Look at all these cops searching Deb's house. Welp, hope you weren't set on that career as a cop again. Pretty sure a US Marshall suspecting you of hiding a serial killer counts as a black mark on your record. Especially when you're a homicide detective.

poo poo, even if you don't care about yourself, that's going to be really damaging to Deb's career as a cop. Oh wait, a US Marshall already thinks she's harbouring a serial killer and has had police trash her house.

If the people who make this pile of poo poo even bothered to connect the two things I'd be amazed. It doesn't look like anyone cared to tell Angel his new re-hire could be harboring a murderous fugitive and I can't see them going there with one (1) episode left of whatever this is.

Whatever, no one gives a gently caress anyway.

Also agreeing with whoever said the Ghost Dad goodbye was the worst thing ever. Really embarrassing stuff.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

massive spider posted:

I laughed out loud at Dexters "Oliver Saxon..again" when turns up to Dexters house. Its like "oh, the villain of the season...this loving guy again".

That would have made a fun season. Saxon randomly showing up everywhere Dexter is while Dexter remains oblivious until the reveal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Also I know the term "Mary Sue" has become synonymous with "character I don't like" but I really don't understand Hannahs ability to swoop in and have both Deb and Dexter be her BFFs when she brings nothing to the table except being really pretty and totally OK with icing people who get in her way.

"you should be on one of those cooking shows, you'd win!" "I'd make sure of it haha (because I kill people)"

• Locked thread