Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010

marktheando posted:

Jesus man. I've lost several characters and I'm not this angry.
I'm not as angry as that post makes me look.:shobon: It just sucks that all the good weapons and cool jobs are level dependant. I just don't want to pay 60 bux plus XBL plus a headset for 20 levels of pistol plink deathmatch and stealing drugs for Gerald before the good poo poo starts.
I didn't mean to get all gamers.txt, I don't play many games online and I guess I'm not used to how it all works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009
Oh, don't do death match. Death Match gives really lovely payouts. Possibly the worst in the game

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

Var you gonna be around in a couple hours for hyjinks? Out of work around 4 eastern.

Trampy Vampy
Mar 21, 2008

It don't mean a thing,
If it ain't got that swing.

ALFbrot posted:

1. Everything I hear seems to indicate that the patch removed QUICK replay, not replay in general. Can't you still vote for "replay" instead of just pulling RT to skip the process?

I'm not sure if it's just me, but voting for replay after a mission never works for me; the box is just not selectable. It works just fine for races or other modes, but not for missions.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

gently caress this god drat lester mission where you have to blow up cop cars, a riot van, and cop bikes all whilst cops are chasing you, the vehicles are miles apart and you have a short time limit. What the gently caress.

Oh yeah and the riot van is in a fenced off area, haha.

Frankston fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 9, 2013

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Air Julio posted:

Var you gonna be around in a couple hours for hyjinks? Out of work around 4 eastern.

I should be

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Noblesse Oblige posted:

I'm not sure if it's just me, but voting for replay after a mission never works for me; the box is just not selectable. It works just fine for races or other modes, but not for missions.

Is this just post-patch? Because some friends and I were definitely replaying Top Fun last night, just because it's, well, very fun.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

ALFbrot posted:

Is this just post-patch? Because some friends and I were definitely replaying Top Fun last night, just because it's, well, very fun.

Think they mean NPC missions. You can replay missions but you aren't supposed to be able to replay the missions given by contacts.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Air Julio posted:

So don't. Try to find other things to do that don't involve killing each other. It's not that hard.

Sorry but how much fun can you have without occasionally dying? The fact that playing bumper helicopters for anything more than a few minutes drains your bank account is awful. I'm not saying don't punish us but when our reward is at most for my level is 10k for a mission and its 2k per death, its pretty poorly balanced.

6k is a steep penalty for joining a random game and getting killed 3x before you manage to quit.

I'm not saying this game is poo poo. I'm just saying the fee for loving around with friends is way to high compared to what you make at least for low levels (20~), especially if you just want a nice car. Currently I avoid free mode when I have anything in the bank that I'm saving for a purchase.

A c E fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 9, 2013

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

VarXX posted:

Think they mean NPC missions. You can replay missions but you aren't supposed to be able to replay the missions given by contacts.

Ohh, I hadn't even considered that distinction.

Don't farm NPC missions, Gerald does not need that many drugs. He has enough drugs.

SpaceBanditos
Aug 29, 2006

Did you hear maracas?

Frankston posted:

gently caress this god drat lester mission where you have to blow up cop cars, a riot van, and cop bikes all whilst cops are chasing you, the vehicles are miles apart and you have a short time limit. What the gently caress.

Oh yeah and the riot van is in a fenced off area, haha.

Throw the grenade at it from the patio above it? If you think that sucks, you have to drive out to the prison to blow up a bus to finish it off. Took forever to do and my car was pretty much completely trashed once I finally survived.

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

A c E posted:

Sorry but how much fun can you have without occasionally dying? The fact that playing bumper helicopters for anything more than a few minutes drains your bank account is awful. I'm not saying don't punish us but when our reward is at most for my level is 10k for a mission and its 2k per death, its pretty poorly balanced.

6k is a steep penalty for joining a random game and getting killed 3x before you manage to quit.

I'm not saying this game is poo poo. I'm just saying the fee for loving around with friends is way to high compared to what you make at least for low levels (20~), especially if you just want a nice car. Currently I avoid free mode when I have anything in the bank that I'm saving for a purchase.

Sell a car then. You can make upwards of 30k from selling a single car.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

SpaceBanditos posted:

Throw the grenade at it from the patio above it? If you think that sucks, you have to drive out to the prison to blow up a bus to finish it off. Took forever to do and my car was pretty much completely trashed once I finally survived.

Yeah, just did it with OtherCubed. Cheers buddy.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Boohoo I lose 2k for dying and I cannot spare 30 loving seconds to rob a store or sell a car to get my money back this game is terrible! :qq:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

VarXX posted:

Personally I think that forcingt a demarcation between "NPC-given" missions versus everything else, is a large part of why people are so heavily incentivized to grind them over and over. Every loving time I finish a co-op job and COntinue through, the entire offering is races and competitive modes, with the occasional Survival match to break the monotony.

If there was a chance of seeing Meth'd Up and Violent Duct and Rooftop Rampage etc in the same hopper as the other missions, I'd probably be less inclined to try and do the same mission over and over, and be more inclined to just let the voting decide what we played next.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Aw yeah, finally scored a Sheriff SUV (which I had painted, tracked, and insured) after only two tries and seeing one ripe for the taking after my rampage in Sandy Shores.

It's too bad the black-on-white number on the top still appears (#32 in this case) but I'll deal.

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

VarXX posted:

What cars sell for $30k?

cl_gibcount 9999
Aug 15, 2002

Hamburlgar posted:

This is what I honestly don't understand.

How can/do they expect people to reach the higher levels without the means to replay missions?

Free play is a total waste of time as you earn no RP and can't even have fun greifing pubbies as you get labeled a 'bad sport'.

Levelling by even 1 level once you hit mid-20's will take a solid few days of phoning mission givers over and over until something worthwhile comes up.

I know this sounds like a goontears post, but I don't see any feasible way of reaching even lvl 40.

Well I'm not sure how lucrative this is, but I was churning some races with Coldforge, we did several as there were some other goons getting wins in there too (15 wins total for me) and I went from rank 52 to 55. The races where I would win gave way more RP than the victory screen shows or something like that because more often than not after I'd win my RP meter would jump up like 2.5 bars.

It was just the prison race, 1 lap, took about 35 seconds per race plus the time in the menu.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

VarXX posted:

Uhh, no you can't.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm pretty sure cars sell for about 10% of their value, if you compare the proceeds to how much they cost to buy online or about how much it makes sense for them to cost. You can hock a Dominator for about $3500, for example, and a Gauntlet is about 30k to buy. So in theory, you could sell some of the rare sports/supercars for 10-100k.

Trouble is, you can't actually sell them!

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
What difference does 100/100 stealth have vs like paltry/100 stealth in online? I ask because

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'm pretty sure cars sell for about 10% of their value, if you compare the proceeds to how much they cost to buy online or about how much it makes sense for them to cost. You can hock a Dominator for about $3500, for example, and a Gauntlet is about 30k to buy. So in theory, you could sell some of the rare sports/supercars for 10-100k.

Trouble is, you can't actually sell them!

I was assuming that he was using that online store glitch to sell the car a half-dozen times before it kicked him out of the chop shop.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

MrLonghair posted:

What difference does 100/100 stealth have vs like paltry/100 stealth in online? I ask because

If you go into an NPC job before you do this it'll go up to max in like 10-20 minutes, I bet. Stealth goes up ludicrously quickly in missions.

Soggy Muffin
Jul 29, 2003
Need some goons to play golf with, pubbies are ridiculously easy to beat. Gt is G 0 N E J A. The 0 is a zero btw.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'd also like to know if stealth actually affects anything in this here game.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yardbomb posted:

I know people keep repeating this "It's supposed to be/be like an MMO!" thing, but yeah that's a load of poo poo. If I can't properly have fun until *Arbitrary high level fun things unlocks at* then I'm not gonna slog through a million hours of slow-grinding and pubbie madness.

Really though, unlocks aside, if you're not having fun now, just actually playing, then grinding isn't going to do a ton to change that...

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
It goes up really fast from knocking people out in stealth mode, too. I went on a punching/KO spree in singleplayer to raise Stealth and Strength and Stealth goes up more from knocking out one guy than Strength does from beating up an entire group of people.

I feel like the skills and skill gain rates in the game are kind of broken, to be honest. Lung Capacity is the stupidest poo poo in the world; it's virtually impossible to max out without spending like 2 hours just diving and holding your breath til it runs out over and over, and does basically nothing since even with it maxed out you don't have the lung capacity to really explore underwater, and there's barely any missions in singleplayer or multi that I've seen where you swim. Stamina, on the other hand, is amazingly useful to have maxed, and you'll probably do so before anything else gets past 60/3.

EDIT: I can't say what effect Stealth has for certain, but I think it obviously stands to reason that that "noise bubble" you make when you run around shrinks and eventually disappears as it goes up. There's not a lot of ways/situations to use that, though, because 90% of the time you're outnumbered 4:1 and don't wanna be anywhere near melee range because you'll die instantly after knocking a guy or two out.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

RCarr posted:

I would imagine it lessens the area that is affected by shooting your gun/running in a stealth mission. (That blue circle around your dot on the mini-map when you do stuff)

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

RCarr posted:

It allows you to get closer or sneak past NPCs in missions more successfully.

It hides you from the minimap against players if you're not shooting unsuppressed weapons.

I heard it can make you kind of invisible as well, but have yet to see that in action so I'm not sure if I believe it, I know that respawning and zoning in can do a similar effect so that may be people simply being mistaken.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

That's it, I'm done with this game. A guy is holding up a shop, So I block him in with my car. Somehow he kills me though the door, the police impound my car for no reason (I have no wanted stars) and when I run back they let him flee the scene and shoot me, again for no reason.

Reeoorb
Jun 25, 2006
is...is...is got communisms in it...
I don't think I've ever seen so many obviously unfairly treated goons in one thread before.

I do remember back when I was a young goon, we would all rush out and buy a newly released game only to find out we didn't like it / chose poorly / it was poo poo / incompatible / a coaster...

Then we hosed right off because that's all you get to do after wasting your money.

Protip: You are not entitled to anything (except loving right off), your opinion doesn't matter, no one cares.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006
Over a retry button.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Reeoorb posted:

Protip: You are not entitled to anything (except loving right off), your opinion doesn't matter, no one cares.

New thread title right here.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Rapdawg posted:

EDIT: drat if I don't want the simple things in life though, the dream. One apartment overlooking the poor people, my casual golf foursome that I take too seriously, and a black metallic Banshee with a hot pink stripe down the center for that classic Vice City look. That's the dream.

I know this was a while ago and I can't remember if you're PS3 or 360, but I totally want to be part of a regular golf outing foursome. Count me into that poo poo any day.

Robawesome
Jul 22, 2005

Frankston posted:

That's it, I'm done with this game. A guy is holding up a shop, So I block him in with my car. Somehow he kills me though the door, the police impound my car for no reason (I have no wanted stars) and when I run back they let him flee the scene and shoot me, again for no reason.

Yeah, gently caress this game! gently caress that dick who you were trying to grief for shooting you! God drat you sound like a little baby here.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Driving goes up pretty fast just from doing races, it will be my first maxed stat by far. Shooting seems to go up pretty slowly no matter how many men you shoot in the face though. I imagine you need the shooting range like in SP but every time I go in there it matches me with Some Guy, even if I'm in solo mode. I just want to (poorly) shoot at targets at my leisure without it having to be a competition.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I believe having a high stealth stat also means you can move faster while sneaking.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

HiriseSoftware posted:

How did you get this into the garage? I found a way to get an FIB Buffalo by going to the big dishes south of Sandy Shores, just like in single player. But it tells me I can't put police vehicles in the garage. Was that something that was patched out? Is there a trick?

Edit: Apparently the sheriff SUV is glitched according to this post: http://gtaforums.com/topic/619703-can-you-store-one-of-the-police-suvs-in-a-garage/

Boo hoo I really wanted to fill up my garage with FIB vehicles :(

Just saw this. The Sheriff SUV can be garaged/tagged/insured. I'm sure Rockstar will fix this eventually, but for now it's fun. Some bits about it:

-Insurance is Free (so is your premium when it gets blowed up)
-Resprays are Free
-The only mod you can do to it is bulletproof tires and explosives.

To get it, you (or a friend) have to get a 4 star wanted level out in the country. It's easier with a friend (they get the cops attention, and you creep up and steal the truck).

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Robawesome posted:

Yeah, gently caress this game! gently caress that dick who you were trying to grief for shooting you! God drat you sound like a little baby here.

The guy was an idiot shouting friend of the family and telling people he wanted to gently caress them in the rear end over and over on voicechat. I thought I'd have a little fun at his expense, but the game being the game bugged out. Sorry me quitting riles you up so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Speaking of griefing, a lot of goon-on-goon griefing has been taking place in game the bigger the crews have gotten. I know that loving around is all in hilarious fun and there's nothing at all wrong with having a laugh, but if you're actively screwing some other goon brethren in free roam that are annoying by it/asking you to stop, I'm going to start removing you from AWCO. gently caress with pubbies instead please.

• Locked thread