Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011

Bugamol posted:

It looks like in that screenshot you can't actually cast burning arrow (7 mana available, burning arrow cost 42 mana), but maybe I'm crazy. Am I missing something?

"Spend life instead of mana for this skill"

Blood Magic gems are nearly mandatory if you ever want to run more than 1 aura as a mana character these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Bugamol posted:

It looks like in that screenshot you can't actually cast burning arrow (7 mana available, burning arrow cost 42 mana), but maybe I'm crazy. Am I missing something?

EDIT: I see it now. Using Life instead of Mana.

Probably using blood magic gem.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I've been playing a Split Arrow/Chain elemental shot Duelist lately and it's been great - especially with the Life Gain on hit, the chaining split shots do so much healing!

I've gotten to act 3 cruel and things are starting to slow down though; I think I need a better bow, but I'm not sure about buying one now or later. Is it better to wait till a certain level to go seeking out rares or when's a good spot to decide to shop?

ComradePotato
Nov 7, 2010

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

I've been playing a Split Arrow/Chain elemental shot Duelist lately and it's been great - especially with the Life Gain on hit, the chaining split shots do so much healing!

I've gotten to act 3 cruel and things are starting to slow down though; I think I need a better bow, but I'm not sure about buying one now or later. Is it better to wait till a certain level to go seeking out rares or when's a good spot to decide to shop?

Thicket bows start dropping at level 56, these are usually the best ones to get for because of their inherent 1.55 attack speed, especially for elemental damage users as they aren't as dependent on the base physical attack.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I'm picking up this game after not playing it for months. Is pure evasion still worse than all other defensive options, or could I try to make a build around it now?

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Red Bones posted:

I'm picking up this game after not playing it for months. Is pure evasion still worse than all other defensive options, or could I try to make a build around it now?

You can, mostly if you're a ranged character. If you take the thing that doubles your dodge against projectiles and the dodging spells thing. There are some decent builds floating around that work on pure evasion. I do think they're a little more finicky though, and personally I would not recommend them at all for melee.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Pimping my lovely dom shop.
Only things of any note are the 2Hers and the empower. Will cut goon discounts & entertain offers of course.

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
I'm still crashing on phase 2 of Dominus. I will probably quit playing if this is how its going to be.

On a good note, instead of progressing I've been doing docks runs for xp. I'm nearly 45 now in normal mode.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Hauki posted:

Pimping my lovely dom shop.
Only things of any note are the 2Hers and the empower. Will cut goon discounts & entertain offers of course.

I would be interested in your Apocalypse Thresher, will you be online later tonight?

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whypick1 posted:

I would be interested in your Apocalypse Thresher, will you be online later tonight?
Sorry, sold it in game literally seconds after I posted that :(

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
Whoever just helped me at Dominus, thanks so much!

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Acht posted:

Whoever just helped me at Dominus, thanks so much!

np, good luck in cruel

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hauki posted:

Sorry, sold it in game literally seconds after I posted that :(

Goddammit, I'm going to be stuck with this forever, aren't I?

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
Is there a good way to get rid of lag and desynch? I've been playing the game for weeks and putting up with it but now that I'm at Piety, the amount of enemies she spawns makes me desynch like crazy and it's impossible to kill her.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

SERPUS posted:

I'm still crashing on phase 2 of Dominus. I will probably quit playing if this is how its going to be.

On a good note, instead of progressing I've been doing docks runs for xp. I'm nearly 45 now in normal mode.

Have you tried the software audio fix? You add --softwareaudio to the launch parameters.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ez posted:

Is there a good way to get rid of lag and desynch? I've been playing the game for weeks and putting up with it but now that I'm at Piety, the amount of enemies she spawns makes me desynch like crazy and it's impossible to kill her.

Typing /oos will resync you, but the game also periodically automatically resyncs you too. What kind of skills are you using? Some of them cause a lot more desync than others. In what way does it become impossible to kill her?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

RosaParksOfDip posted:

You can, mostly if you're a ranged character. If you take the thing that doubles your dodge against projectiles and the dodging spells thing. There are some decent builds floating around that work on pure evasion. I do think they're a little more finicky though, and personally I would not recommend them at all for melee.

You can get by on evasion fine for melee, just make sure you have a good amount of health. I would also recommend having some form of block, be it dual wield or a shield. With acrobatics and the nodes behind it you have a more than fair chance of a hit not even reaching your evasion.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Alighieri posted:

Have you tried the software audio fix? You add --softwareaudio to the launch parameters.

Hrm? What file do I add this to? I am looking in my steamapps>common>Path of Exile folder as we speak.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

voltron lion force posted:

Typing /oos will resync you, but the game also periodically automatically resyncs you too. What kind of skills are you using? Some of them cause a lot more desync than others. In what way does it become impossible to kill her?

I know about the /oos thing but it doesn't help in the middle of a boss battle. I've been told by a friend that using Whirling Blades can cause desynch, but I stopped using it in the fight and it didn't really help. It's impossible because she starts the fight and spawns tons of adds, which lags me so bad that by the time the screen catches up to what's happening I'm dead.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Ez posted:

I know about the /oos thing but it doesn't help in the middle of a boss battle. I've been told by a friend that using Whirling Blades can cause desynch, but I stopped using it in the fight and it didn't really help. It's impossible because she starts the fight and spawns tons of adds, which lags me so bad that by the time the screen catches up to what's happening I'm dead.

That sounds like your computer bottle-necking rather than desync or lag.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

whypick1 posted:

That other axe I have is much better pdps than what you linked if you're interested in that instead. I can hold it.

edit: there's also a pretty good karui maul in the guild exchange if you want that instead.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Nov 14, 2013

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Ez posted:

Yeah you might want to try dropping everything to minimum settings and just stay a safe distance away when the fight starts so you don't get hammered by the adds spawning. Taking it slow and not forcing your computer to start rendering a bajillion things immediately and at the same time might help you out a bit.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Ez posted:

That sounds more like a framerate issue than a lag/desync issue. The same thing happens to me during graphically intensive parts of the game, particularly against Dominus. Turn down your graphics settings during the crazier boss fights?

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hrm? What file do I add this to? I am looking in my steamapps>common>Path of Exile folder as we speak.

Go to your library screen in steam, right click the PoE entry and go into properties. In there somewhere should be an option to setup launch parameters.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Hauki posted:

That other axe I have is much better pdps than what you linked if you're interested in that instead. I can hold it.

Yeah, I definitely need an upgrade. I was just really hoping for the maul because it also has a 4L, which I desperately need as well.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Sloober posted:

You can get by on evasion fine for melee, just make sure you have a good amount of health. I would also recommend having some form of block, be it dual wield or a shield. With acrobatics and the nodes behind it you have a more than fair chance of a hit not even reaching your evasion.

The "tanky templar" build has pretty high evasion combined with a ton of block nodes, the highest chance to block shield you can get and Ondars Guile.

Works really well but you should have at at least 3 instant life flasks for when you do get hit, because it'll chunk you pretty good.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Sloober posted:

Yeah, the mechanics are pretty solid behind it, but I find desynch are much less forgiving when you're high evasion. Whenever things hit, they hit harder, which passive health regen has a harder time dealing with.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Found my first Unique in the Twilight Strand on Cruel.

:monocle:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Am I allowed to borrow a leveling unique by putting in collateral then return it when I'm done?

Some of these 2-handers look awesome but I'd rather save my currency for something better.

(And can I use nem currency to get dom items?)

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Yeah, you can sell back uniques to the exchange/leave collateral, whatever you want to call it. I'm Lasthenia in game, let me know what you were interested in and I can take care of it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Sloober posted:

Spectral DPS is a little misleading with how the skill works, since it only takes into account a single hit when it's typical to get two in with it. 1K isn't bad though but it's tough to say how to improve it without knowing your buildout. Being crit based I use LMP, Crit multiplier, Faster attacks and life leech. Leech should be better than LGOH after hitting about 1k DPS though.

Spectral throw also doesn't miss but the dps display takes accuracy into account.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

NecroMonster posted:

Spectral throw also doesn't miss but the dps display takes accuracy into account.

Wait what? Spectral throw can't miss? RT with spectral throw is literally useless then?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

whypick1 posted:

Since the only stat that's worth anything on that axe is the 70% physical damage, is there any reason you wouldn't just find a good high item level 60-73 two hander, pop it to 20% quality and then make it magic, rerolling with alterations until you get 150% physical damage and a good secondary mod?

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

NecroMonster posted:

It's a projectile attack, not a spell. Who says it can't miss?

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Wait what? Spectral throw can't miss? RT with spectral throw is literally useless then?

It certainly does miss, don't know what he's thinking.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Since the only stat that's worth anything on that axe is the 70% physical damage, is there any reason you wouldn't just find a good high item level 60-73 two hander, pop it to 20% quality and then make it magic, rerolling with alterations until you get 150% physical damage and a good secondary mod?

1. :effort:
2. Pretty sure the game is deliberately making sure I don't have access to any late-level 2-handers that have more than one socket except for a couple of rares I found...that turned out to be total poo poo. I have enough currency to buy, but not really enough to craft.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Because the amount of alts that would take quickly begins to approach the cost of a good weapon

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Budgie posted:

It certainly does miss, don't know what he's thinking.

Ok good, I am not crazy.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
My Explosive Arrow Scion has been working out pretty well. I'm wrapping up Cruel a3 right now and I have nearly 2.8k HP, run the Blood Magic keystone, Explosive Arrow + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation + Fire Penetration, and Split Arrow + Life on Hit + Blind + Chain. I typically run into a crowd, load up 5 explosive arrows on a mob, then can usually fire off 3 split arrows before everything is dead. If it's a very large group of enemies I'll pop a granite or a jade beforehand. I've had a couple of half-ish HP scares (mostly around a3 with lightning thorns on mobs), but other than that it's been really smooth sailing.

I just hope I don't blow myself up on an ele reflect elite in Merciless before I get my resists back up. :pray:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Anyone wanna take a look at this build I'm thinking of re-rolling as and tell me what you think? Its a crit based Split Arrow/Frenzy CI Ranger. With a quality Pierce gem I think I'd be able to hit 100% pierce chance so I can use crit weakness for my curse. Probably be using crit chance/damage for my split arrow since I'll need to be using ES gear so blue sockets will be common. Is there enough damage there aside from the crit? Enough ES nodes (I'd probably head towards the 18% one in the Witch start post lvl70)? I'll be leveling with HP/evasion gear btw.

MMF Freeway fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 15, 2013

• Locked thread