Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bingo
Aug 18, 2003

Riftling posted:

My Explosive Arrow Scion has been working out pretty well. I'm wrapping up Cruel a3 right now and I have nearly 2.8k HP, run the Blood Magic keystone, Explosive Arrow + Chance to Ignite + Elemental Proliferation + Fire Penetration, and Split Arrow + Life on Hit + Blind + Chain. I typically run into a crowd, load up 5 explosive arrows on a mob, then can usually fire off 3 split arrows before everything is dead. If it's a very large group of enemies I'll pop a granite or a jade beforehand. I've had a couple of half-ish HP scares (mostly around a3 with lightning thorns on mobs), but other than that it's been really smooth sailing.

I just hope I don't blow myself up on an ele reflect elite in Merciless before I get my resists back up. :pray:

I really wish I had made my EA Marauder a Scion instead. He looks so dorky with his little tiny bow!

My set up is more or less the same, but running lmp too. Getting multiple overlapping explosions kicks rear end and clears out crowds drat fast. Will drop lmp out when/if I go for elemental equilibrium though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coldstone Cream-my-pants
Jun 21, 2007

WhiteOutMouse posted:

Hrm? What file do I add this to? I am looking in my steamapps>common>Path of Exile folder as we speak.

I think he means right clicking in your Steam library and finding the console line under Properties.

If you can't solve the problem I'll offer to kill Dominus for you. I'd need to access your account obviously, but I won't mess with your poo poo and will toxx myself saying that or whatever. Fighting Dominus can really account for a very small portion of the game, so if you like it otherwise I'll get you through it and into Cruel. PM me here if you're interested.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.

Bingo posted:

I really wish I had made my EA Marauder a Scion instead. He looks so dorky with his little tiny bow!

My set up is more or less the same, but running lmp too. Getting multiple overlapping explosions kicks rear end and clears out crowds drat fast. Will drop lmp out when/if I go for elemental equilibrium though.

IMO, drop LMP like a rock and go with EE. EA's biggest strength is in the ignite effect that comes after the explosion. LMP reduces the damage from that ignite effect, and EE amplifies it by a ton. Elites are the only things that don't instantly die from a 5-stacked explosion with EE up so far.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
You guys mean Elemental Proliferation right?

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

voltron lion force posted:

Elemental Proliferation (EP) is the handy support gem that spreads ignite like wildfire to enemies that get hit by the explosion.

Elemental Equilibrium (EE) is the keystone near the Scion start that reduces enemy resistances to elements you didn't just hit them with. EA characters usually have an item that adds cold or lightning damage to their attacks and will use split arrow with chain to hit everything on the screen with that damage type after they stack 5 EAs on the mob. That reduces their resistance to fire, increasing the explosion and resulting ignite damage.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

voltron lion force posted:

Oh good, I wasn't the only one thinking that.

Bingo posted:

That just makes him more manly. "Look at me, I can kick all of your asses with this weapon I could easily snap in half with my pinky"

This is what I tell myself about my EA/BA Marauder

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Riftling posted:

Elemental Proliferation (EP) is the handy support gem that spreads ignite like wildfire to enemies that get hit by the explosion.

Elemental Equilibrium (EE) is the keystone near the Scion start that reduces enemy resistances to elements you didn't just hit them with. EA characters usually have an item that adds cold or lightning damage to their attacks and will use split arrow with chain to hit everything on the screen with that damage type after they stack 5 EAs on the mob. That reduces their resistance to fire, increasing the explosion and resulting ignite damage.

Oh word I didn't realize that's what your were using the split arrow for.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Riftling posted:

I think you have that backwards?

It increases your resistance to the element with which you were just hit, but reduces your resistance to other elements.

So you're in docks, tanking firedogs easily, but then a lightning exile pops up and one-shots you.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Budgie posted:

It certainly does miss, don't know what he's thinking.

I have 82% accuracy and have never seen a projectile pass through an enemy that was actually there without hitting them. It's probably bugged.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Kytrarewn posted:

It increases your resistance to the element with which you were just hit, but reduces your resistance to other elements.

So you're in docks, tanking firedogs easily, but then a lightning exile pops up and one-shots you.

quote:

Elemental Equilibrium: Enemies you hit with Elemental Damage temporarily get +25% Resistances to those Elements and -50% Resistances to other Elements

You're the one who has it backwards.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 15, 2013

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Kytrarewn posted:

No its exactly as Riftling says it is.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Elemental_Equilibrium

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
So a map that boasts "players have elemental equilibrium" should be little risk to someone who does predominantly physical damage.?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Working on my first summoner Witch. I had a hard time finding a guide online since the recent grid changes so I've been fumbling along on my own. Pretty exclusively focusing on getting to Minion Life and Health nodes, but I'm constantly tempted to pick up some +Crit nodes so I get to freeze/flame things more often with my spells while everything is distracted by my dudes. I'm passing up some Minion nodes because some Japanese guy did a bunch of math and concluded that Minion Damage nodes weren't really worth it compared to applying elemental damage to them instead.

So what am I doing wrong? Because I know I'm missing something important, just don't know what.

\/\/\/ Thanks, that first one looks like what I was going for. All the ones I found just by Googling around were broken by sphere grid changes, I didn't even think to try the official forums :downs:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 15, 2013

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Takes No Damage posted:

Working on my first summoner Witch. I had a hard time finding a guide online since the recent grid changes so I've been fumbling along on my own. Pretty exclusively focusing on getting to Minion Life and Health nodes, but I'm constantly tempted to pick up some +Crit nodes so I get to freeze/flame things more often with my spells while everything is distracted by my dudes. I'm passing up some Minion nodes because some Japanese guy did a bunch of math and concluded that Minion Damage nodes weren't really worth it compared to applying elemental damage to them instead.

So what am I doing wrong? Because I know I'm missing something important, just don't know what.

There are two summoner guides within the first three posts of the Witch forum. A lot of people are adverse to traversing official forums, but PoE's official forums are actually pretty good and have a lot of great information. The class section is where you're going to find the vast majority of build guides and theorycraft.

There's a lot of non-optimal things in your build. I suggest reading through those two guides and coming back with more specific questions.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Does anyone have 1 or 2 good 1h weapons on Nemesis in the low to mid 50's? My weapons are becoming outdated, and after farming Docks Cruel for about 5 levels I haven't seen anything drop, much less anything good.

Also, moving on to piety and dominus on cruel, what stats should I be aiming for? I'm at about 2050hp, 75% resist all except chaos, and around 50% damage mitigation from armor.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Kytrarewn posted:

So a map that boasts "players have elemental equilibrium" should be little risk to someone who does predominantly physical damage.?

Yes, and any player with Avatar of Fire is pretty screwed.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd imagine most people with physical damage weapons are linking increased fire damage, so I'd just find a replacement support gem for that map and take it easy.

Raitzeno posted:

Yes, and any player with Avatar of Fire is pretty screwed.
Beats CI on a blood magic map :v:

hey girl you up fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Nov 15, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Added Chaos Damage :black101:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

So I finally 5L'ed my Quill Rain and I know there's been a lot of talk about EA on here recently, but I think the bulk of it was buried too far back in the thread. So... what the gently caress is a good build for it, and how does it fare for end-game mapping? Can you just not do ele reflect maps period, or do you have to go super-slow or something? Help my goons, you're my only hope.

Also I might just sell this instead.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 15, 2013

10bux
Sep 10, 2008
Who like's min maxing?!?

Current spec is Rain of Arrows, Bow does 315 physical dps and 358 total dps, 1.55 APS.
RoA + Blood Magic + Life Leech + Conc Effect + WED
Auras are lvl 21 Hatred, Wrath, Grace.

Option 1
+296 Max Life
+206% Max life
2.9% Life regen
30% reduced dmg from crit strikes
unwavering

36% projectile dmg
55% Attack Speed
74% phys dmg + 66% from Iron Grip

Option 2
+226 Max life
+240% Max Life
2% Life Regen
30% Chance to avoid Stun

51% projectile dmg
67% Attack Speed
146% Physical dmg

So basically losing 30% crit reduction, unwavering, 70 max life and .9% life regen. Gaining 34% Max life, 15% projectile dmg, 12% attack speed, 4% phys damage. Do you think that max life would make up for all the other defensive stuff I'm losing?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
What the gently caress? I am off for a week for school crap, and got purged? I did the donut bit for the first purge, why was there a 2nd so soon?!

Hole Wolf
Apr 28, 2011

Annath posted:

What the gently caress? I am off for a week for school crap, and got purged? I did the donut bit for the first purge, why was there a 2nd so soon?!

Just for you, Annath.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Hauki posted:

So I finally 5L'ed my Quill Rain and I know there's been a lot of talk about EA on here recently, but I think the bulk of it was buried too far back in the thread. So... what the gently caress is a good build for it, and how does it fare for end-game mapping? Can you just not do ele reflect maps period, or do you have to go super-slow or something? Help my goons, you're my only hope.

Also I might just sell this instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5rWlhQ4SB0 this is a good build to follow. As for reflect, you just take it super slow against reflect mobs and only fire one or two arrows in at a time. I haven't gotten my EA guy to maps yet so I don't know how to deal with ele reflect maps.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Rad Dog Turbo posted:

Just for you, Annath.

Ok, but seriously, I expected like one per month if that...

Oh well, I'm not too hung up on it, it just came as a surprise.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Annath posted:

Ok, but seriously, I expected like one per month if that...

Oh well, I'm not too hung up on it, it just came as a surprise.

You can get back in whenever you want. The guild filled up and people wanted in, purge!

There was like 10 days notice prior.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

10bux posted:

You can get back in whenever you want. The guild filled up and people wanted in, purge!

There was like 10 days notice prior.

Has there been more than one purge then? Because I totally put the donut message in my status, and I don't think its been 10 days since I was last on...but then again I've been super busy with IRL stuff that I may have completely lost track of time.

As for getting back in, I'd love to. I'll re-message someone tomorrow, for now I'm trying to power through act 3.

10bux
Sep 10, 2008

Annath posted:

Has there been more than one purge then? Because I totally put the donut message in my status, and I don't think its been 10 days since I was last on...but then again I've been super busy with IRL stuff that I may have completely lost track of time.

As for getting back in, I'd love to. I'll re-message someone tomorrow, for now I'm trying to power through act 3.

Yeah, there's been two. The purges will slow down, it's just goons are famous for playing something for a couple days and quitting. After the first purge, the guild filled up again in a day. Last purge was tuesday, and we've been slowly filling, but there's still like 20 spots. Probably won't be one for a little bit.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
RIP ChewyFruitTraps at 69 to a Storm Herald in a -maxres temp chains spider lair.

"I'll get it"
Famous last words.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
It's still possible.(zero manual spells cast merciless Dominus kill)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o1p2Qt5ZLMY

dumpieXL
Sep 7, 2007
redacks
.. meanwhile all my builds get stuck in Act 1 Merc because of bad gear. :v:

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Stokes posted:

I'd really like to see the build and gear that allows this to work.

NM I looked it up.

NecroMonster fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 15, 2013

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Thanks to the kind goon who dragged my sorry rear end past merciless Dominus. On the upside, we both died a lot to him, especially form 3 where he was camping the stop of the stairs :smith:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

10bux posted:

Weapon specific > 2hand/1hand > melee physical. It looks like you have access to clusters of every different type of weapon, maybe spec into one of those if you wanted damage? You could probably get better damage per point if you did. Also there's Iron Grip if you're ST (75 projectile damage not including your gear), but I'm guessing you're ground slam or something?

Purity of Flesh is really drat good. I'm not a huge fan of armour mastery.

edit: Also drop that 18% endurance charge duration and pick up the .2% regen per charge!

I'm leap slam/heavy strike. Using a Maul currently but while it's good (91& phys dmg, 21-39 phys, 12% atk speed) I wasn't sure if it'd be worth building around. I still foolishly hold out for the hope of a Kaom's dropping, or the unique 2h mace, but unless they drop from piety I'm far from having any chance as I can't even get higher than a 66 map to drop. Spending 5 points on mace skills would mean getting Baptism by Light and Skull Cracking though, in addition to 10% mace/armor and 12% mace 8% armor nodes, so It's definitely a lot more dps, going to check it out.

whypick1 posted:

Goddammit, I'm going to be stuck with this forever, aren't I?

Pretty sure there's better weapons than that in the guild stash.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Evil Fluffy posted:

I wasn't sure if it'd be worth building around. I still foolishly hold out for the hope of a Kaom's dropping, or the unique 2h mace, but unless they drop from piety I'm far from having any chance as I can't even get higher than a 66 map to drop.
Kaom's should be able to drop from piety, and marohi as well. Not sure about kongor's, but it's only ilvl 67, and I think she drops up to 68. As for maps, keep running 66s until you get higher ones to drop. Plenty of Dom goons mapping too if you just want to run someone else's maps.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Stokes posted:

You forgot to link the elemental reflect map too :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er8TZlcP3X4

this got fixed in 1.0.1 with the 250ms cooldown though

Hugh G. Rectum fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Nov 15, 2013

Acht
Aug 13, 2012

WORLD'S BEST
E-DAD
I went back to playing a Heavy Strike / Slam / Leap Marauder next to my ST Scion. It's still far and away the strongest character I played from scratch, although the slow sweeping with misses is a little irritating at the start. It's just, once you get Blood Magic and Resolute Technique, you feel like such a machine. My current on is level 37 (respecced from another build), but I started a new one because I found a unique Sledgehammer. Over 100 top damage on level 17 seems pretty strong! I got 4 sockets in with one orb, 3 of them being linked. I don't dare to spend more orbs to get it 4 linked really, as I presume the chances will be really slim?

My Scion is doing well in Act 1 Cruel so far, although I'm taking it really slow. I don't know what really changes, and while my resistances are nearly all maxed out, I do notice quite a higher damage intake. Maybe I'll try and get a good 1h so I can throw with a shield on. I took the Blood gem to spend life instead of mana, but I'm actually killing myself with it. It's fairly common to lose 200 life against a few trash monsters, and that's just too risky. I presume my leech / damage aren't high enough to use it yet.

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
I am running into a similar issue in A3M. My damage output isn't enough to keep me healed, via lgoh, through the increased damage these mobs are doing. I desperately need a higher DPS 2h sword, but I don't have 10+ exalts to spend on one with the slots I need. If only the sword I am using had the 5L colors I need, I could do better, but honestly I can't complain when the thing was given to me by a generous goon. It would be so much worse, otherwise.

And with my resistances in need of work, all I can run is The Docks... over, and over, and over, etc.

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010

Apple Craft posted:

I am running into a similar issue in A3M. My damage output isn't enough to keep me healed, via lgoh, through the increased damage these mobs are doing. I desperately need a higher DPS 2h sword, but I don't have 10+ exalts to spend on one with the slots I need. If only the sword I am using had the 5L colors I need, I could do better, but honestly I can't complain when the thing was given to me by a generous goon. It would be so much worse, otherwise.

And with my resistances in need of work, all I can run is The Docks... over, and over, and over, etc.

You should probably swap out lgoh for life leech, it'll be much better if your dps is over 1k.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
What are Avatar of Fire builds like? I found a nice 16% quality Fire Penetration gem and I figure I might as well put it to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Apple Craft posted:

My damage output isn't enough to keep me healed, via lgoh

Your damage output has no impact on the amount you receive from LGoH, it's a flat rate per hit. It's perfect for loads of small hits at once, but poo poo for single big hits, where you want Life Leech instead.

• Locked thread