Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sakuramei posted:

Hopefully there won't be too many instances of Jawnie lazing around now :P (Although, I enjoyed seeing all the drawings)

Jawnie won't be lazing around at all unless she gains roughly ten levels between each gym, as the "obedience" threshold jumps from 20-30-40 and so on in increments of 10 levels, until the final badge is finally just "traded pokemon don't sass back". Considering she ended the battle at L13, she'd need to gain 8 levels before or during the next gym to be disobedient, and the gap will keep growing.

I'm pretty sure that ultimately, the disobedience mechanic is more meant to make sure that you don't just take that L100 Event Arceus you got and just steamroll the entire game with it. Well, you still WILL, but it'll still be a bumpy killdozer ride.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Jawnie won't be lazing around at all unless she gains roughly ten levels between each gym, as the "obedience" threshold jumps from 20-30-40 and so on in increments of 10 levels, until the final badge is finally just "traded pokemon don't sass back". Considering she ended the battle at L13, she'd need to gain 8 levels before or during the next gym to be disobedient, and the gap will keep growing.

I'm pretty sure that ultimately, the disobedience mechanic is more meant to make sure that you don't just take that L100 Event Arceus you got and just steamroll the entire game with it. Well, you still WILL, but it'll still be a bumpy killdozer ride.

That reminds me of when I was playing Pokemon Blue and I traded with my brother for a L100 Blastoise. I got into a battle with a trainer who had like 5 Pidgeys and I lost the fight because the Blastoise wouldn't do anything while the Pidgeys slowly chipped away at his health. And I was like 8 at the time so I didn't know anything about healing items.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
I did the same in Red, but for a level 30 Raticate.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

This is something that really bugs me about the obedience thing. I can get the whole "doesn't respect you" thing but for gently caress's sake why are you just sitting there and letting the other pokemon beat the poo poo out of you!? Its okay when the pokemon does a move opposite of what you tell it to, but look at this update. Jawnie let herself get beat up and nearly fainted at least once! I know the idea is that its disobedient because it doesn't respect you and you haven't trained it well enough, but come the gently caress on! You're really not going to do anything and just let the other pokemon kick the poo poo out of you while you "loaf around"?

Okay, rant over.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if this has been commented on yet or not, but I love the fact that Jawnie's name perfectly fits something that a Philly family might trade you. :3: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jawn

Ramengank
Jun 11, 2010

Arcade Rabbit posted:

obedience rant

There's even stranger quirks with being disobedient. Sometimes your pokemon can just fall asleep in battle, or hurt itself in "confusion". Yeah, even if it's in danger. I only experienced these ones in the first gen, but from what I've read these can still happen in newer games.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I vaguely remember hearing about those actually. They're pretty rare I think. I've only had one of my team fall asleep on its own once in one of the older games. Its still all pretty ridiculous though.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Ramengank posted:

There's even stranger quirks with being disobedient. Sometimes your pokemon can just fall asleep in battle, or hurt itself in "confusion". Yeah, even if it's in danger. I only experienced these ones in the first gen, but from what I've read these can still happen in newer games.

This actually happened to the Blastoise in my story. It fell asleep during the battle and allowed the Pidgeys to get so many shots on it.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

SgtSteel91 posted:

This actually happened to the Blastoise in my story. It fell asleep during the battle and allowed the Pidgeys to get so many shots on it.

Way back in season 1 of the Pokemon Anime, Ash's Charizard, who really hated his guts, cost him the Pokemon League when it decided not to fight Richie's Pikachu, it just lay down and did nothing, so Ash lost by default, Charizard was just a jerk back then.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Well, falling asleep makes some sense, your Pokemon is too strong to care about its enemy, so it just takes a nap, it's in no immediate danger after all. Hitting itself is far more stupid, though. It'd make more sense to...I dunno, forcefully return to its Poke Ball, basically inflicting Roar/Whirlwind on itself, so you have to send another Pokemon instead.

Or attacking the trainer, but that only happens in the Gamecube games.

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

KataraniSword posted:

Yeah, I know how it works, but I would't be surprised if she leveled pretty fast too with the higher experience for traded Pokemon. Though, maybe it's just me who managed to end up getting a Pokemon right to that point when I hit a gym.

That and the so people don't just trade their party over from their last game and wipe everything.

Judge Tesla - That actually still bugs me because I don't think the series will ever let Ash get that far again. :(

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Sakuramei posted:

Yeah, I know how it works, but I would't be surprised if she leveled pretty fast too with the higher experience for traded Pokemon. Though, maybe it's just me who managed to end up getting a Pokemon right to that point when I hit a gym.

That and the so people don't just trade their party over from their last game and wipe everything.

Judge Tesla - That actually still bugs me because I don't think the series will ever let Ash get that far again. :(

Wait. What? Ash got further than that literally every other tournament. The furthest he got was Sinnoh, where the anime decided "Oh gently caress, we actually don't have a legitimate way to make him lose at his current power levels. Okay, all of his heavy hitters except for Pikachu are too injured to fight. His opponent has Darkrai and Latios!"

It was LITERALLY like the Battle Tower just eventually deciding "NO! gently caress YOU PLAYER!" but for the anime. The real stupid part was Ash actually tried preparing "Oh hey, in the off chance Heracross gets put to sleep, I'll teach him Sleep Talk, which lets him use Megahorn on Darkrai. One of the few things that can legit kill him dead! Oh he's still trucking and wiped out half my team."

This is not as embarrassing as Unova, where he lost to someone who forgot to bring 6 Pokemon to a 6 on 6 battle.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Yeah. I stopped watching the anime around Johto. I don't regret it.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

Yeah. I stopped watching the anime around Johto. I don't regret it.

I stopped watching it around the same time, and I just don't get it. Evey game gives the writers a brand new protagonist to follow around (TWO in fact! A boy and a girl!). Why the hell didn't they dump Ash after his season and avoid uncomfortable questions like "Why isn't Ash's Pikachu overlevelled to the point of defeating every gym by itself at this point?" and "Why the gently caress is Ash learning (important battle strategy/life lesson) for the FIFTH goddamned time?" or even "How loving old IS Ash at this point? Why is a (potentially) 15 year old dude (assuming each generation is a year) following around these 10 year olds?" poo poo, kids watching the show now weren't even born when the original series came out - they have no connection to the guy, so what's the point in keeping him around?

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

Because it's Safe, and major franchise anime is nothing if not Safe.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Zonekeeper posted:

I stopped watching it around the same time, and I just don't get it. Evey game gives the writers a brand new protagonist to follow around (TWO in fact! A boy and a girl!). Why the hell didn't they dump Ash after his season and avoid uncomfortable questions like "Why isn't Ash's Pikachu overlevelled to the point of defeating every gym by itself at this point?" and "Why the gently caress is Ash learning (important battle strategy/life lesson) for the FIFTH goddamned time?" or even "How loving old IS Ash at this point? Why is a (potentially) 15 year old dude (assuming each generation is a year) following around these 10 year olds?" poo poo, kids watching the show now weren't even born when the original series came out - they have no connection to the guy, so what's the point in keeping him around?

Remember when they replaced Brock with Tracey for the Orange Isles arc?, much of the fandom complained and yelled and Brock was bought straight back for Johto and beyond.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Judge Tesla posted:

Remember when they replaced Brock with Tracey for the Orange Isles arc?, much of the fandom complained and yelled and Brock was bought straight back for Johto and beyond.

The thing with that is the status quo was Brock and Misty following Ash around. If they had retired the old protagonists properly, I highly doubt people would have given a poo poo. Plus Tracey was a lovely sidekick compared to Brock. :colbert:

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Here's hoping that Curly sends postcards every now and then.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
Snakes can't write.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

But can they type???

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Probably verrrry slowly if they use their tails. Like how your grandma uses only her index fingers to type.

e: I am referring to Poke-snakes, actual snakes probably lack typing functionality.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

TwoPair posted:

Probably verrrry slowly if they use their tails. Like how your grandma uses only her index fingers to type.

e: I am referring to Poke-snakes, actual snakes probably lack typing functionality.

Tails schmails. They type by smashing their faces into the keyboard over and over until they've finished making a complete sentence.

Haven't you read that classic children's book "Typing with Ekans!"?

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
Umm... Curly has hands so it obviously can try to type. The letters will just say "Snivy...Snivy...Snivy." though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

StrifeHira posted:

Tails schmails. They type by smashing their faces into the keyboard over and over until they've finished making a complete sentence.

Haven't you read that classic children's book "Typing with Ekans!"?

I am disappointed this was not an actual book released in the early days of Pokemon.

(They had a bunch of weird little picturebooks. It could have happened!)

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Chorocojo posted:

Snakes can't write.

Snakes can still pose for personalized post cards from tourist traps.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

I am disappointed this was not an actual book released in the early days of Pokemon.

(They had a bunch of weird little picturebooks. It could have happened!)

They may not have "Ekans teaches typing", but they do have this!

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

NorthByNorthwest posted:

I want this. I'm not quite sure why.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013

Learn how to type with Pikachu and his friends on the Nintendo DS! A system without a keyboard, what could go wrong?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ArkInBlack posted:

Learn how to type with Pikachu and his friends on the Nintendo DS! A system without a keyboard, what could go wrong?

It comes with one.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It comes with one.

That... somehow makes it worse. It has a separate keyboard attachment that plugs into the DS or something? Because if so, :psyduck:.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I believe the keyboard it comes with is a Bluetooth keyboard and can function with other devices. It looks kind of nice and in the UK at least, used to go on sale reasonably often for as little as £15, so if you wanted a BT keyboard for as tablet or phone, you could do worse.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Paper Lion posted:

Because it's Safe, and major franchise anime is nothing if not Safe.

It's best to think of the Pokemon anime not as a series, but as what it really is: a very long commercial.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

NorthByNorthwest posted:

I know one thing about this game. It has (great) music that belongs in a way different game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDUaJTl1hZc

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Amppelix posted:

I know one thing about this game. It has (great) music that belongs in a way different game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDUaJTl1hZc
Pokemon Spinoffs have always been absurdly well put-together, at least in as far as presentation. I've never seen an ugly Pokemon game.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

What is wrong with Pikachu's head.

Anyway, liking the LP so far Red! Liking your creative way of doing the Pokedex entries this time.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

KungFu Grip posted:

What is wrong with Pikachu's head.

Anyway, liking the LP so far Red! Liking your creative way of doing the Pokedex entries this time.

That's the pikachu model they use for all the Pokemon Center merch and poo poo. I like to call him Beach Ball Pikachu.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
Alright, I'm a little late to the party here, but yeah: gently caress Hugh. He is the shittiest, most annoying rival in the series. He deserves the title of Barnacle.

Spoilers for some reason???

I'm looking forward to this LP. You always entertain. :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Nov 28, 2013

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Blaziken386 posted:

He deserves the title of Barnacle.

Barnacles are awesome in Pokeworld, so this is an incorrect comparison.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

alcharagia posted:

Barnacles are awesome in Pokeworld, so this is an incorrect comparison.

Then he is the Anti-Barnacle. Look upon him and despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Then he is the Anti-Barnacle. Look upon him and despair.

I don't know that I'd go that far, I just find him to be rather unfezant.

• Locked thread