Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Tagichatn posted:

Do levels have an end or do you always die to the lava? Either way, it's very similar to an endless runner.

Absolutely the levels have an end. You can beat the game in about 20 minutes if you know what you're doing, but there are a lot of hidden eggs and things to find.

You can move in all the directions no problem, there is nothing forcing your character to run forwards. Its a platformer, not an endless runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Uncle Jam posted:

Absolutely the levels have an end. You can beat the game in about 20 minutes if you know what you're doing, but there are a lot of hidden eggs and things to find.

You can move in all the directions no problem, there is nothing forcing your character to run forwards. Its a platformer, not an endless runner.

So it's an entire game of the forced-scrolling levels on Mario.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Uncle Jam posted:

So it's a runner, just not endless. No one is :airquote:forcing:airquote: you to move forward, except, you know, the big gameover that happens if you stay still.

Like how in a racing game you can reverse or turn around on the track, you just won't progress in the game.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Drifter posted:

So it's a runner, just not endless. No one is :airquote:forcing:airquote: you to move forward, except, you know, the big gameover that happens if you stay still.

Like how in a racing game you can reverse or turn around on the track, you just won't progress in the game.

Well alright then. I thought endless runners were things where your guy was always running and just had to tap buttons to jump or duck or whatever.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Drifter posted:

Just like in any platformer made before 1995.

I hardly think it's fair to compare a one button Canabalt type thing to what's basically a fast paced platformer with light exploration.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Novus AEterno looks looks interesting, and the concept of a completely persistent universe is so alluring.

But no mention of a Linux version :negative:

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
One lesson we learnt during the second kickstarter: giving backers exclusive early access to demo functionality is not necessarily a good thing.

If I had to do this again, I'd give the demo to as many people access to the demo as possible, as it seems to be our strongest selling point.

edit: Letting backers hand out friends code with demos that link to the Kickstarter pushed us past our first stretch goal!

diadem fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Nov 25, 2013

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Colin Jones has announced that if the Slightly Magic project funds he will also complete and release the sequel, Slightly Spooky.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Nition posted:

I also started my own Kickstarter yesterday: Scraps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSLy2CmLT7w

This video is awesome. Excellent compilation, and now a couple of days later, it is still stuck in my brain.

Bravo.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Catacomb Kids has an update up wtih a good representation of the gameplay in a short video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fourbitfriday/catacomb-kids-a-very-roguelike-platformer/posts/674633
Shows off the detailed, roguelike-style interactions between stuff in the game a lot better than the initial video.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance

Count Uvula posted:

Catacomb Kids has an update up wtih a good representation of the gameplay in a short video: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fourbitfriday/catacomb-kids-a-very-roguelike-platformer/posts/674633
Shows off the detailed, roguelike-style interactions between stuff in the game a lot better than the initial video.

Oh poo poo, that really does get at the roguelike elements that so many purportedly roguelike games miss. Backed.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Yeah, watched that video and backed instantly. Very cool stuff.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
That's a nice video. The only thing I didn't like is where he used the rock to detect that trap up top, which appeared to be totally undetectable.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Orzo posted:

That's a nice video. The only thing I didn't like is where he used the rock to detect that trap up top, which appeared to be totally undetectable.
I think I could make out a very slight difference between the floor before and after he rolled the rock over it.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Eh, I watched again and didn't see anything. It doesn't matter, it was the most minor of nitpicks. What matters is that the guy has programming chops, I think the trap demo was just for demonstrative purposes and not necessarily indicative of typical gameplay. Like I said, it's a good video, hopefully it gives him a boost.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Orzo posted:

Eh, I watched again and didn't see anything. It doesn't matter, it was the most minor of nitpicks. What matters is that the guy has programming chops, I think the trap demo was just for demonstrative purposes and not necessarily indicative of typical gameplay. Like I said, it's a good video, hopefully it gives him a boost.

What are you talking about? gently caress you death traps that you can only avoid by being overly paranoid are a design staple of roguelikes!

Plus he mentioned a skill system, I imagine you can get skills to detect traps or whatever.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
All the traps have visible tells, though obviously things like the big crushing block are more visible.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Guess who's back? And he's finally revealed what his mysterious 'game-within-a-game' is - except it doesn't seem to be within a game any more. It's basically PuzzleScript for falling-block puzzle games, and with singleplayer and multiplayer modes. Releases are planned for PC and Ouya. No mention of the nD.

It's only been given 20 days, and Kicktraq paints a predictable picture.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BiggerJ posted:

Guess who's back? And he's finally revealed what his mysterious 'game-within-a-game' is - except it doesn't seem to be within a game any more. It's basically PuzzleScript for falling-block puzzle games, and with singleplayer and multiplayer modes. Releases are planned for PC and Ouya. No mention of the nD.

Bob's Game... for OUYA.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

BiggerJ posted:

What the hell is up with the cheering, hahah this is the greatest KS video ever

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

BiggerJ posted:

This guy is legitimately insane.

lizzyinthesky
Mar 24, 2010

Take drugs! Kill a bear!

ImpAtom posted:

Bob's Game... for OUYA.

Seems like destiny to me now he doesn't even have to build the nD, a perfect platform has been built for him!

Prosthetic_Mind
Mar 1, 2007
Pillbug
The kickstarter for Wings put out an update today where they said that if Wings was successful they were going to resurrect some of their other classics, starting with It Came From the Desert. An interesting idea, but I don't know what you'd really do with It Came From the Desert to make it relevant in a modern sense.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

The kickstarter for Wings put out an update today where they said that if Wings was successful they were going to resurrect some of their other classics, starting with It Came From the Desert. An interesting idea, but I don't know what you'd really do with It Came From the Desert to make it relevant in a modern sense.

It Came From the Mall?

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Great Rumbler posted:

Can one of the people here who backed Hero-U download the demo and report back to us on whether it actually includes any discernible gameplay or not?

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/665859

The demo is playable on a browser via the Unity Web Player. Probably so that they wouldn't have to worry about multi-platform (Linux, Mac-OS) support, this soon.
Like Trapezium Dave already posted, it's too simple and short. It has some sfx and backgournd music, and a lazy reference/call-back to Sierra. Also character animations are a bit slow, you can only interact with a few things (although the room seems to include more stuff the player would want to investigate, like a note on the table, .

You can't interact with your inventor; and if you bring up the inventory panel (or any of the other panels), it can stay in front view, while your character moves obscured in the background, until you explicitly close it (probably an early phase bug). Also, at one point I was interacting with a bookshelf by standing stuck at the side of the bookcase.

Anyway, really nothing to be excited about, other than the fact that something is being developed.

In latest news, they have a new (public) update, where they are announcing transition to 3d character models and animation. I would like to believe that this would speed things up, but I can't help but having a bad feeling about this sort of decisions mid-development (and way out of the original schedule).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/673484

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Nition posted:

I want to back your game, friend, but Kickstarter isn't accepting my filthy American dollars. Any chance of a Paypal or an alternative payment method?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Nition posted:

I posted it on Reddit to get it some more eyeballs. If anyone else is a filthy Reddit-account-having plebe like me and like this, feel free to upvote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rhh6p/kickstarter_scraps_customisable_vehicle_combat/

EDIT: Also posted it on

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/1rgdq5/scraps_customisable_vehicle_combat_for/

and someone wrote a comment for Nition there.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 26, 2013

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

AbstractNapper posted:

In latest news, they have a new (public) update, where they are announcing transition to 3d character models and animation. I would like to believe that this would speed things up, but I can't help but having a bad feeling about this sort of decisions mid-development (and way out of the original schedule).
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/673484

It sounds like they've basically started over from scratch...a year into development. Which is fine if you're a wealthy company that has other revenue streams and plenty of profits sitting in the bank, not so much if you're just two people who have already taken out a mortgage to fund development.

I really hope this works out for them somehow, though. The old Sierra cadre always came across as really passionate people and some of the games they made are undoubtedly all-time classics.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

What are you talking about? The update concerns remaking more of their old games with modern graphics as they are doing with Wings, not updating the plots.

krebbed flam
Mar 10, 2013

AbstractNapper posted:

I hate to say this but with each passing update, it seems to me like Corey Cole is just an ideas guy who came into a large sum of money rather quickly and really out of touch with how modern games are produced. I hope I'm wrong and that there is a lot more of the game made behind the scenes, but it doesn't feel that way.

I know of somebody who donated to get their portrait in a physical yearbook of some kind. The art team still hadn't discussed the details of this merchandise even though they promised it a year ago. I'm told they seemed to want to get this finished asap so they could get back to working on the game.

krebbed flam fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Coldrice
Jan 20, 2006

Interstellaria is walking into its last week and despite breaking 20k the progress has just stopped. If anyone has any good press contacts please let them know about the game! Despite constant emails I'm still struggling to get visibility!

The link:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coldricegames/interstellaria

miguelito
Oct 5, 2012

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN
(ask me about sexy shaving)

My first mental reaction was "Oh please let it be Bucky!". Then disappointment.
I would've accepted lore guy too.

:sigh:

Edit: The fact that EVERYTHING in that pitch is green and purple (even including the guy's avatar) leads me to believe this might just be a ruse orchestrated from elsewhere on the internet.

miguelito fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 26, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

BiggerJ posted:

Bob isn't the hero indie gaming wants but it's the hero it deserves. :911:

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

The Mandate looks like it might not make it and I have no idea why. It looks awesome. :smith:

Looks like it will make it now :ussr: Space Vodka for everyone!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I want to back your game, friend, but Kickstarter isn't accepting my filthy American dollars. Any chance of a Paypal or an alternative payment method?

A couple of other people have asked for that, so I'll look into the best thing to do. Do you know why it's not accepting your money though? With other people that've asked for an alternative, it been because they don't have a credit card.

I can't really put up an alternative payment option unless (hopefully replace with "until") the Kickstarter meets its goal though, because if people choose to use the alternative instead of the main Kickstarter system, then it's less likely to get funded. And if it doesn't get funded then I get nothing.

After it's funded then using an alternative is probably actually better, since the cut that PayPal takes is less than the cut Kickstarter takes.

Megazver posted:

I posted it on Reddit to get it some more eyeballs. If anyone else is a filthy Reddit-account-having plebe like me and like this, feel free to upvote:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1rhh6p/kickstarter_scraps_customisable_vehicle_combat/

EDIT: Also posted it on

http://www.reddit.com/r/IndieGaming/comments/1rgdq5/scraps_customisable_vehicle_combat_for/

and someone wrote a comment for Nition there.

Hey, thanks for that. I replied to that guy. It's always good when it's not me posting all my own threads and stuff, gives it a bit more credibility.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Nition posted:

A couple of other people have asked for that, so I'll look into the best thing to do. Do you know why it's not accepting your money though? With other people that've asked for an alternative, it been because they don't have a credit card.
I've never been able to back projects that aren't in USD, for some reason. Same thing happened with Maia a while back. I think it's just a problem with my bank - they called me last night saying 'HEY NEW ZEALAND TRIED TO CHARGE YOUR CARD' and promptly locked me out, much to my chagrin. I'll give them a call to see if it's a problem on their end, but if it isn't, I guess I'll just have to hope the Kickstarter goes well :)

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

MadJackMcJack posted:

Looks like it will make it now :ussr: Space Vodka for everyone!

Revealing they'd signed on David Bradley was probably a major benefit, especially given the spotlight that, in turn, has been on Bradley thanks to An Adventure In Space And Time. Add in the efforts of people to raise awareness of the game, and bam, they-

THEY JUST HIT 500K!

Nition
Feb 25, 2006

You really want to know?

Pseudoscorpion posted:

I've never been able to back projects that aren't in USD, for some reason. Same thing happened with Maia a while back. I think it's just a problem with my bank - they called me last night saying 'HEY NEW ZEALAND TRIED TO CHARGE YOUR CARD' and promptly locked me out, much to my chagrin. I'll give them a call to see if it's a problem on their end, but if it isn't, I guess I'll just have to hope the Kickstarter goes well :)

I imagine your bank's board sitting around a mahogany table wearing cowboy hats, US flags surrounding the walls, with a stuffed bald eagle, wings spread regally, pride of place in the centre of the table. A single glass tear marked out below its right eye. The CEO holds up today's legislation: International Transactions. Everyone laughs. In response, the CTO lights a union jack on fire and throws it in the trash.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
There's a Stalin vs. Martians 3 kickstarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

diadem
Sep 20, 2003
eet bugz
On the topic of demos, since they seem to be my biggest selling point, here's a link to the closed alpha:

http://lavato.apocoplay.com/coupon/ksgoon.

It won't give you access to everything backers have, but the tutorial will be enough to get to know the game.

The coupon is limited use, as we still are in closed pre-alpha.