Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Maybe it's an early/bad AA solution?

That said, I'm really happy how far the UI has come, I think the weapon display is a bit cluttered, but on a whole I really like the look of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Brother None posted:

You can toggle off DoF in the game.

But why would the actors be out of focus?

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile

Rinkles posted:

But why would the actors be out of focus?

? They're not. There's a grain filter too though, if that's what you mean.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

could also be some jpeg compression in there

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

A MIRACLE posted:

Generally not that extreme a result from a 2 MB image. It is the grain filter that makes the models look bad/foggy/blurry.

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

A MIRACLE posted:

I don't think that it is considering the UI looks just fine.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I don't think it's JPEG compression artifacts either, the image looks fine as far as that's concerned, but there is a definite layer of blur, like this is some old SD TV screenshot or something. Look at the scientist lady person to the right. Look at her head and how it is kinda amorphous, there's not clear definition. It's cool the filters and stuff can be toggled though because in my opinion they're pretty overpowering. I think it should be more subtle, honestly.

Brother None
Feb 25, 2013

On the line for InXile
It's not a JPG, it's a PNG converted from the TGA I got.

There's filters, yeah, but we'll tweak them based on feedback, it's probably the combination of DoF and grain that's throwing you guys off.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Brother None posted:

It's not a JPG, it's a PNG converted from the TGA I got.

There's filters, yeah, but we'll tweak them based on feedback, it's probably the combination of DoF and grain that's throwing you guys off.

I'd have to see it in motion.

edit :wink:

edit 2: you know, in a beta :wink:

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Peas and Rice posted:

In my imagination (and in the old Fallout PNP game where I ripped off all the Wasteland guns for the first edition) the Ion Beamer was more like the Ghostbuster's backpack, not that wimpy little thing.

:smith:

It's a placeholder.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

It's a placeholder.

That's good to hear!

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/27/inxile-on-date-length-and-expansion-of-wasteland-2s-beta/

RPS has a short interview with Brian Fargo, sounds like the beta is a couple weeks out.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
How long from beta to release, usually?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

VanSandman posted:

Two aeons ± an excruciating infinity of time.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

VanSandman posted:

It sounds like what's going to be released for beta is a version that's very close to the final product, so...uh...maybe a few months?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

VanSandman posted:

I wouldn't expect much more than 3 months. That's pretty big for beta, especially if they already did a lot of QA internally.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Furism posted:

especially if they already did a lot of QA internally.

Companies bother doing that these days?

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

AxeManiac posted:

Companies bother doing that these days?

I should hope that it's the case for that kind of games. No "but the publisher didn't want to spend money on QA, boohoo" excuse here!

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Yeah I kinda hope they realize that. They literally set their own release date. Full control. So people will rightfully expect it be spit shined to hell and back.

Whether that's a realistic expectation is another thing.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Yeah I kinda hope they realize that. They literally set their own release date. Full control. So people will rightfully expect it be spit shined to hell and back.

Some of my favorite games have been bug-riddled messes, so I don't necessarily need the game to be perfect at the initial release in order to feel like I got my money's worth. Of course, that does depend a bit on the nature of the bugs it's still got, as in bugs that screw over the save game would be very, very bad.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Furism posted:

I should hope that it's the case for that kind of games. No "but the publisher didn't want to spend money on QA, boohoo" excuse here!

Isn't that the point of the beta? They've literally got people to pay them to do the QA work they'd otherwise have had to do themselves. Pretty clever, if you ask me.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

CottonWolf posted:

Isn't that the point of the beta? They've literally got people to pay them to do the QA work they'd otherwise have had to do themselves. Pretty clever, if you ask me.

Yes of course, and even with the best QA team in the world you couldn't spot every bug and generate every corner case scenario. I meant to say they hopefully did some QA, even if it's just friends & family and stuff, to eliminate the most obvious problems. That's probably why they call it a "beta" and not an "alpha" :) But there are very various degrees of a "beta" state, depending on how much time you spent on the alpha. Last but not least, it'll also depends on how much time they can/want to spend on fixing the bugs found in the beta.

And for what it's worth, I'm personally very forgiving with regards to bugs when a game is produced by a smaller studio (WL2 is one of those), or is trying very hard to be innovative (Alpha Protocol), as long as it's not game breaking of course.

Spell
Nov 20, 2000

Eat your vegetables or you'll DIE!
Someone fixed the mouse bug in Wasteland 1.
http://poizan.dk/blog/2013/11/27/fixing-frequent-freezing-of-wasteland-1-when-using-mouse/

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
It you absolutely can't wait for F2 check out the last RPG the guys created, on Steam sale.
I just got it and it seems to be 4 gigs of old school goodness:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/41900/ (Bard's Tale 2005)

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007
Have they given indication if a quest builder will come with WL2 or are we stuck waiting for DLC to appear post-gold disk ?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

I bought Wasteland yesterday and started playing it. I made it through Highpool and now I'm at the Agricultural Center. Once I agree to help and I'm transported to the area with the radar dish, I can't get back out can I? My dudes are pretty beat up but I can't wait reliably because of random attacks. I don't want them to die I like them.

The soundtrack is super awesome though and I adore it.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Upmarket Mango posted:

I bought Wasteland yesterday and started playing it. I made it through Highpool and now I'm at the Agricultural Center. Once I agree to help and I'm transported to the area with the radar dish, I can't get back out can I? My dudes are pretty beat up but I can't wait reliably because of random attacks. I don't want them to die I like them.

The soundtrack is super awesome though and I adore it.

You can force/pick open the doors in the northwest and southeast.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Jonny Retro posted:

You can force/pick open the doors in the northwest and southeast.

Alright, cool, thanks.

What does the "VIEW" button do exactly? It seems to just skip time ahead a minute at a time. Does it serve some other function? And when do I know when my characters leveled up? Do I get an alert or something? Two of my dudes got promoted to Private 1st Class but they seem to still be level 1 in terms of skills and stuff.

Spell
Nov 20, 2000

Eat your vegetables or you'll DIE!
Use RADIO to level up your characters.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Levelling up via radioing in just lets you increase your stats; your skills are managed separately, and only go up through use or through researching at a library. WASTELAND WAS VERY ACADEMIC-PROGRESSIVE FOR THE 1980S

And I really think "view" was just the button that let you look at your characters if you wanted to see their stats instead of whatever other text was on the screen.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Oh, okay, I had no idea skills just increased through use. Neat. I know about radioing in, that's how I upgraded my dudes ranks.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes. Having more than one way to increase your skills was basically mind-blowing. Wasteland had so many then-amazing-albeit-now-humdrum/expected features at the time that there is little wonder it spawned a core lunatic fringe of fans who were still communicating on a regular basis about the game for decades afterward.

I mean, I joined Yahoo! for the Snake Squeezins listserv. I JOINED YAHOO! ON PURPOSE. And whenever I would be like WHY DO I HAVE A YAHOO! ACCOUNT I would be like "oh right, Snake Squeezins."

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is it possible to view weapon stats in Wasteland? Also, should I be using Perception every second of every inch covered in game, or is it not that important? It'd be great if it was a passive, always-on skill that worked in a radius around the party rather than toward on specific direction. I'm just worried about missing out on anything.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.
That actually raises a question I had: it seems like they've upped the requirement for learning new skills by action.

Example: I used to cheese the Swimming skill by giving every Ranger Swimming 1, then swimming around in the pool in the hotel in Quartz to raise their skill. In the new version, I've knocked a couple of particularly awful Rangers unconscious several times now just by swimming around, and I haven't raised anyone's skill one whit.

Either I'm misremembering how this works (to be fair, the last time I did this was over 20 years ago), or they tweaked some things behind the scenes to make it harder to cheese skills like we used to.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Quarex posted:

Yes. Having more than one way to increase your skills was basically mind-blowing. Wasteland had so many then-amazing-albeit-now-humdrum/expected features at the time that there is little wonder it spawned a core lunatic fringe of fans who were still communicating on a regular basis about the game for decades afterward.

I mean, I joined Yahoo! for the Snake Squeezins listserv. I JOINED YAHOO! ON PURPOSE. And whenever I would be like WHY DO I HAVE A YAHOO! ACCOUNT I would be like "oh right, Snake Squeezins."

This should REALLY be your custom title. 'I joined Yahoo for Snake Squeezins.'

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Quarex posted:

And I really think "view" was just the button that let you look at your characters if you wanted to see their stats instead of whatever other text was on the screen.

Actually View switches active parties when you have more than one. Very important, since you can't beat the game without doing that.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is it possible to view weapon stats in Wasteland? Also, should I be using Perception every second of every inch covered in game, or is it not that important? It'd be great if it was a passive, always-on skill that worked in a radius around the party rather than toward on specific direction. I'm just worried about missing out on anything.

http://wasteland.wikia.com/wiki/Wasteland_weapons

If you have Perception rank 2+ on one of your guys you're fine, don't worry about it.
You can create a macro and make a habbit of checking tables and beds if you like, something there is stuff there.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 30, 2013

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
It's here soon apparently :)

Twitter posted:

Chris Avellone ‏@ChrisAvellone 7h

Spent #BlackFriday playing Wasteland 2 Beta. Blood Sausage'd in 5 min b/c I thought I was a Hard rear end. I wasn't. Loving it.

Twitter posted:

Chris Avellone ‏@ChrisAvellone 6h

Wasteland 2 Beta feels like I'm playing the old Fallout 1 and 2 games again, but w/ more char customization options. Love the skills, too.

Twitter posted:

Chris Avellone ‏@ChrisAvellone 6h

Man, Wasteland 2 doesn't ignore Wasteland 1. Nostalgia fest in the 1st hour of the beta, seeing many familiar names. Nice nod to history.

bou
Aug 3, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

If you put a character with the perception skill in party slot #1 the skill is sometimes used automatically when you run over/into something examinable. Zhere are still some places where you have to use the skill specifically though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

How does the save system work? Does the game save when you change map areas?

Also, I had no idea the new Wasteland had voice acting. When the game started talking I jumped!

• Locked thread