Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

InitialDave posted:

If you really want to help, bring him jobs which are a complete bastard to do in the book time, only with all the cosmetic panels blocking access already cleared away and the fasteners all wire-brushed and hit with penetrating oil.

I don't have any of those at the moment, the "pending" jobs I need to get done at some point are replacing the transmission (again), and I need to get a bunch of suspension parts swapped out with ones that don't have lovely bushings and balljoints.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Remember. he LOVES heater cores and cooling system work.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Or just park it in the Sound for a few weeks and let nature take its course.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.

MikeyTsi posted:

I don't have any of those at the moment, the "pending" jobs I need to get done at some point are replacing the transmission (again), and I need to get a bunch of suspension parts swapped out with ones that don't have lovely bushings and balljoints.

Find the Mitsu knuckle kits. $90/side with both lower arms and the knuckle. Buy two sets of the rear toe control arms. Install one set on the car. Pop the ball joints out of the other set and install in the upper control arms. ASA/CAPS says the P/N is the same between those ball joints. The rear arms are $22ish.

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone
I think the nicest thing to do for any mechanic is for when they are doing a heater core, smoke like 500 cigars in the cabin first.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I do mechanics a favor and never bring them a heater core job. But if I did, they'd be happy because they don't have to drain my AC system, it's a patented jeep slow release self draining system :suicide:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Heater core jobs in Florida are easy, just bypass the loving thing :v:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

meatpimp posted:

This thread went to LP and came back entirely different.

It seems to have stopped by E/N

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MikeyTsi posted:

If it makes you guys feel any better, I bring my car to his shop to have him do cheap/easy poo poo so he hopefully gets to pad his time a bit.

I didn't know if it'd be too goony to show up and say I'm from the internet or something idiotic like that. I don't want to be the next Buchephalus. :ohdear:
How are 4 wheel alignments?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Realistically I've got no problems with goons coming by the.shop for any reason. PM me if anyone wants to just stop in and say hi or let me check your dipstick :q:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

13 INCH DICK posted:

Realistically I've got no problems with goons coming by the.shop for any reason. PM me if anyone wants to just stop in and say hi or let me check your dipstick :q:

I'll be there tomorrow!

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Piece of cake :radcat: No but seriously, not that bad to do at all.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Nice new tensioner. Good job.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

13 INCH DICK posted:

Piece of cake :radcat: No but seriously, not that bad to do at all.

I've never understood what the fuss about subaru cambelts is, they're pretty simple. The hardest I've had to do was a late 00's legacy with single cam heads. For some reason the cambelt was so insanely tight that I had to assemble it with no tensioner at all and all the idler bearings almost completely loosened off. Even then it took blood sweat and tears to slip the belt on.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

So the single cam engine you did was the same as the dual cam belt, got it.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Seat Safety Switch posted:

everything.nsioner. Good job.

Whole kit with all new rollers and idlers and everything,

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Fart Pipe posted:

So the single cam engine you did was the same as the dual cam belt, got it.

I've done both, they are identical aside from the heads...? But every other one I've done slipped on just fine, for some reason that particular one felt like the belt was too short.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Whole kit with all new rollers and idlers and everything,

What made it need a whole kit? Just general old age or did something break and take everything with it?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
We've had issues with doing just the belt/pump/tensioner and coming back with growling followers so now we just quote em for a top to bottom job.

e: caught it with just the water pump leaking out the weep hole, belt and idlers looked good but there's really no reason not to do everything once you're in there.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I really appreciate that someone who works in a chain repair shop actually does it right. The number of used Subarus I've seen with lovely idlers or old gummy hydraulic tensioners and a fresh nice timing belt is ridiculous.

The water pump isn't as big of a deal (it's very rare for it to fail in my experience, anecdotally) but it is part of all the kits. I guess you got the exception!

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jan 5, 2014

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Snowdens Secret posted:

What made it need a whole kit? Just general old age or did something break and take everything with it?

On every car I've owned, the timing belt, water pump, idlers(s), tensioner(s), cam seal(s), and crank seal were all done at the same time, regardless of if a shop or myself did them. The first time I had a timing belt done, the owner of the shop insisted on doing it that way when I questioned him about it and explained why he always did timing belts like that. Made sense to me, I sure as hell wouldn't want to go back in and replace a :10bux: part that otherwise take an hour+ to get to... when I could have changed it while everything was already apart. :downs: Kind of like when you pull a transmission to replace a clutch and don't replace the throwout bearing...

13 INCH DICK posted:

water pump leaking out the weep hole, belt and idlers looked good

Doesn't coolant soak into belts anyway?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Jan 5, 2014

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Oil loves soaking into belts and ruining them (and any other natural rubber product), not so sure on coolant.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
In my experience oil ruins belts and coolant just makes them more likely to slip a tooth or two if it's completely soaked. Depending on the amount of coolant pouring out it also makes a disgusting smell.

Luckily on the Subaru the water pump is located low enough that a bit of water spurting out the weep hole is basically falling onto the exhaust header and not necessarily jumping onto the belt.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Brown trouser moment, for Seattle goons I was coming back from seatac picking a friend up whos flight was delayed till arriving at 2am and I was coming down Queen Anne hill and there was ice all down it and I just simply started sliding down it and managed to threshold brake enough to keep rotating my car by minute amounts to keep me poimted straight till I got to the bottom. Didn't see the ice until far too late to do anything about it because it lookdd exactly like the road, not ice ice but enough thick frost to do the job. It looked like the street was paved with diamonds.

Jesus.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5ft097tgr0

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

13 INCH DICK posted:

Brown trouser moment, for Seattle goons I was coming back from seatac picking a friend up whos flight was delayed till arriving at 2am and I was coming down Queen Anne hill and there was ice all down it and I just simply started sliding down it and managed to threshold brake enough to keep rotating my car by minute amounts to keep me poimted straight till I got to the bottom. Didn't see the ice until far too late to do anything about it because it lookdd exactly like the road, not ice ice but enough thick frost to do the job. It looked like the street was paved with diamonds.

Jesus.

Yeah, 'black' ice will gently caress you over every chance it gets. I still don't have a good technique for dealing with it other than to either wear studs or treat it like a hydroplane event.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

IMO it's worse than hydroplaning, it doesn't slow you down anywhere near as fast, and studs only help so much. Black ice is just scary poo poo.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Broken odometer but 117 confirmed miles via google maps at 3.14 gallons :hellyeah:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Move the decimal a place or two and you have my vehicle.

that has the original carb on it still, right?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

I want to see that Civic. If you can get it to Portland, you can take as many dabs of BHO as you can handle.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

th vwls hv scpd posted:

Find the Mitsu knuckle kits. $90/side with both lower arms and the knuckle. Buy two sets of the rear toe control arms. Install one set on the car. Pop the ball joints out of the other set and install in the upper control arms. ASA/CAPS says the P/N is the same between those ball joints. The rear arms are $22ish.

Actually, I'm looking to buy the metal parts from someone parting out a car, then I'll replace the balljoints and such with new and replace the bushings with polyurethane. Figured I could save some money that way while making it just a swap rather than having to deal with pulling parts off the car, running them through a loving press, and then reinstalling.

th vwls hv scpd
Jul 12, 2006

Developing Smarter Mechanics.
Since 1989.
Pretty sure the lower ball joints aren't serviceable. I'd love to be proven wrong because it would be cheaper.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know who you are, and I don't know why you designed it this way. But what I do know is that I have a very particular set of skills. I will find you. And I will kill you.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
im pretty sure most people who design cars all live in a secluded bunker somewhere. I mean I have cursed many manufacturers out loud for the dumb things they do. Like the person who thought a Toyota water pump requires the engine to be removed.... and if you do find that person who designed that let me know...I have a rusty spoon and some rock salt....

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

13 INCH DICK posted:

I don't know who you are, and I don't know why you designed it this way. But what I do know is that I have a very particular set of skills. I will find you. And I will kill you.

Joke's on you, he's hiding in the heater core.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I have made it my goal to avoid any of those design decisions being made on the vehicle I work on.

Unfortunately you'll probably need an A&P cert to work on it in any significant way, and they're likely to be expensive/niche market enough that only me and James Woods will ever get to work on them :sigh:

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Guess who put the front end back together only to find every single thing on the radiator was identical except the lower hose pipe was on the wrong side.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Just guess. Go ahead.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

James Woods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
What's the longest universal flexi-hose you have on the shelf?

• Locked thread