Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

I'd say replace the board again, seeing as how it's 1/10th the cost of the hori stick, and since you've done it before you know how to do it.

http://www.focusattack.com/sanwa-tp-ma-pcb-assembly/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Corn Nuts posted:

So I've had the OP-recommended TE stick for a couple years now and I'm ready to toss it. Whenever I try to do a fireball motion, 1/4th of the time it does not register the diagonal. This should only be possible if the microswitches are releasing prematurely, right? I've had to replace the joystick board prior, due to a similar issue. Whenever I would hold downleft it would randomly release a microswitch and my character would stand. Maybe I mash my diagonals too hard.

Anyways, I think I'm going to try Hori this time. Anyone have good or bad things to say about this one? http://www.amazon.com/HORI-PlayStation-Real-Arcade-N3-SA-3/dp/B00FB5R3XQ

These parts are built to withstand the horrors of the arcade. It is pretty rare for problems with this to occur. As you probably know, the actual stick and buttons are the same in yours and this Hori stick.

That said, have you contacted MadCatz? Can you reproduce the error?

What happened to make you replace the joystick board? Are you sure you did it properly?

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

brian posted:

It's only two days to go until the 3rd Strike tournament of the decade, Co-operation Cup 12
No Kuroda? WE RIOT

Still gonna watch this. It can't help but be a fantastic tournament.

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

40 OZ posted:

These parts are built to withstand the horrors of the arcade. It is pretty rare for problems with this to occur. As you probably know, the actual stick and buttons are the same in yours and this Hori stick.

That said, have you contacted MadCatz? Can you reproduce the error?

What happened to make you replace the joystick board? Are you sure you did it properly?

I checked the website and it looks like I'm out of warranty. I've probably voided it by replacing the joystick board regardless.

I replaced the board a year ago due to the 'down' microswitch acting up. I put a multimeter around the switch leads and I could see the circuit closing randomly. I decided to replace the whole board since I'm not very good at soldering.

I'm not sure if it's the board again but I'm at the point where I want to dump it.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Corn Nuts posted:

So I've had the OP-recommended TE stick for a couple years now and I'm ready to toss it. Whenever I try to do a fireball motion, 1/4th of the time it does not register the diagonal. This should only be possible if the microswitches are releasing prematurely, right? I've had to replace the joystick board prior, due to a similar issue. Whenever I would hold downleft it would randomly release a microswitch and my character would stand. Maybe I mash my diagonals too hard.

Anyways, I think I'm going to try Hori this time. Anyone have good or bad things to say about this one? http://www.amazon.com/HORI-PlayStation-Real-Arcade-N3-SA-3/dp/B00FB5R3XQ

have you tried a different restricter? That helped out my motions.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

Corn Nuts posted:

I checked the website and it looks like I'm out of warranty. I've probably voided it by replacing the joystick board regardless.

I replaced the board a year ago due to the 'down' microswitch acting up. I put a multimeter around the switch leads and I could see the circuit closing randomly. I decided to replace the whole board since I'm not very good at soldering.

I'm not sure if it's the board again but I'm at the point where I want to dump it.

Well, if you are out of business and you got the dough then sure, go ahead and buy another one. Consider this kind of thing very rare though.

Sanwa-equipped arcade sticks are extremely reliable. If something was actually screwed up, consider yourself very unlucky.

If you have the same issues again, it's something else other than the stick.

Other players will recommend you install an octogate. I highly suggest you don't. You will -want- to, though, because when you are starting out and have no muscle memory you will be too rough with the stick, and want to grind against the gate.

Learn to use a light touch on the joystick. The players with the best execution almost always play with a lighter touch. As you move the stick, you can hear the click- that's as far as you need to go. By not grinding against the gate, you can execute moves faster.

I know that last part seems extraneous, it just always follows this line of conversation.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Corn Nuts posted:

By "joystick board" are we referring to the PCB with the actual switches on it?

If you have the same problem twice I would assume that there is something else going wrong. Depending on the length of time between when you last replaced the switch and now I would have to go with either you are amazingly, incredibly rough on that down switch, or there is something wrong with the main PCB of the stick.

Does the circuit close randomly if you unplug the joystick PCB from the main PCB?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Soulcleaver posted:

No Kuroda? WE RIOT

Still gonna watch this. It can't help but be a fantastic tournament.

I was personally hoping for a USA team or at least some sighting of Sextaro, but no dice. :(

Corn Nuts
Jul 16, 2003

Pillbug

Klades posted:

By "joystick board" are we referring to the PCB with the actual switches on it?

If you have the same problem twice I would assume that there is something else going wrong. Depending on the length of time between when you last replaced the switch and now I would have to go with either you are amazingly, incredibly rough on that down switch, or there is something wrong with the main PCB of the stick.

Does the circuit close randomly if you unplug the joystick PCB from the main PCB?

Yep, I removed the joystick PCB before testing the switches. I use a wine-grip when I play, and in retrospect I probably pull hard on my down motions. I think I'll give it one more try with a new board.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Corn Nuts posted:

Yep, I removed the joystick PCB before testing the switches. I use a wine-grip when I play, and in retrospect I probably pull hard on my down motions. I think I'll give it one more try with a new board.

You can also get a set of switches that aren't soldered onto a PCB (although if the madcatz board is anything like the one that was in my eightarc it's a super easy solder job and if you have an iron anyway you should take a crack at it).
Something like this has four switches (silent ones in that case so if you like your clicky joystick you'll have to look elsewhere), a different sized actuator, and the wire harness you need to hook it all up. The switches are held in place by the gate and if you ever broke one you could just get a new one from somewhere and slap it in.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

inthesto posted:

I was personally hoping for a USA team or at least some sighting of Sextaro, but no dice. :(

Ryan Bracamonte aka LetBloodRun is on RX's team, he'll be the purple chun, I think he's the only american player there, although I think Ken I still lives out there so he might go to spectate I guess. Ryan's easily the best american player at the moment though, him, Gunfight and Marko recently won a 3rd Maniax tournament which was the first time a 'foreign' team has won anything in Japan so it was p impressivo.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
So I just saw Zeus win Defend the North with Vega against a Cammy. That was most excellent.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Any news on SNK? Are they going to be making a new KOF game anytime soon?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Chipp Zanuff posted:

They're making that KOF MOBA game, or at least having someone make it for them.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Chipp Zanuff posted:

Aren't they making KOF 14 in 3D? I remember hearing that somewhere.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Can someone explain to me why the wireless Tekken stick that came with the limited edition of Tekken 6 is awful? I've tried looking and I haven't seen any explanations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

ChaosArgate posted:

Can someone explain to me why the wireless Tekken stick that came with the limited edition of Tekken 6 is awful? I've tried looking and I haven't seen any explanations.

Well besides the fact that no tournament ever will let you use a wireless controller, wireless controllers also tend to have significant input lag. It's also just a lovely stick with poor build quality. The stick and buttons are made by a Chinese company called MD who produce generally lovely, cheap products. The switches in it have poor build quality and will drop inputs and not last very long under heavy play.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Well besides the fact that no tournament ever will let you use a wireless controller, wireless controllers also tend to have significant input lag. It's also just a lovely stick with poor build quality. The stick and buttons are made by a Chinese company called MD who produce generally lovely, cheap products. The switches in it have poor build quality and will drop inputs and not last very long under heavy play.

In that case, should I look to buying a replacement stick, like a TE or and Eightarc, or should I attempt to gut this thing, turn it into a conventional wired stick and replace all of the parts?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

ChaosArgate posted:

In that case, should I look to buying a replacement stick, like a TE or and Eightarc, or should I attempt to gut this thing, turn it into a conventional wired stick and replace all of the parts?

Buy a new TE stick for sure. The amount of work you'd have to do on the Tekken stick is just not worth it.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Aren't they making KOF 14 in 3D? I remember hearing that somewhere.

I believe the story was they were hiring 3d artists.

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

The Dave posted:

I believe the story was they were hiring 3d artists.

Here's to hoping they go the GG Xrd route; that game is unbelievably good looking and I think the KoF series could benefit from a similar setup. Sure beats drawing every frame by hand again.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

brian posted:

It's only two days to go until the 3rd Strike tournament of the decade, Co-operation Cup 12 is this weekend and has a massive 80 teams/400 entrants, with a similar amount for the traditional single character team 5v5 pre-Co-op Cup. The pre-cup is on Saturday and the main one on Sunday, both streams start at 11am JST, with some last minute qualifiers kicking off the day and top 16 or so starting 3-4 hours in.

This year looks insane, with a lot of the old greats coming back out of nowhere, such as Hayao, Fujiwara, Dirty Music, Spellmaster J and Pierre, the current and past greats who still play a lot like the pre-co-up cup 3 man super team King Ghidorah (Nuki/MOV/Rikimaru), KO, Mester, Yakkun, Kokujin, RX, Pierrot, Thanatos and many more. There's gonna be a french team with a serious shot at winning the whole thing with Marko, Gunfight, Niabanh, Victor and Nikola (SerbianStyles from SF25th qualifiers) and there's even the token SF4 team of Haitani/Momochi/Kindevu/DBKoopa/Yaoichi. Unfortunately Kuroda pulled out of playing after a load of drama involving which team he was gonna play for and his own reservations about being the centre of attention when he clearly doesn't want it, but you'd be hard pressed to find another 3S top player of note not at the tournament.

Basically it's gonna be ridiculous and if you only give a poo poo about 3S once in a blue moon, then this is the weekend to poo poo out a blue moon or whatever you crazy kids do.

http://shoryuken.com/2014/01/07/12th-cooperation-cup-2014-street-fighter-iii-3rd-strike-5-on-5-final-teams-list/

Pre Cup stream page:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv165122055?ref=qtimetable&zroute=index

Main Cup stream page:
http://live.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv165123157?ref=qtimetable&zroute=index

I will always love SpeJ if for no other reason than the joke about the real romanization of his name. :v:

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Medullah posted:

Buy a new TE stick for sure. The amount of work you'd have to do on the Tekken stick is just not worth it.

All of the ones on Amazon are over $200. :( I'll keep an eye out for one at a decent price point, I guess.

ADTerminal
Jun 1, 2011

ChaosArgate posted:

All of the ones on Amazon are over $200. :( I'll keep an eye out for one at a decent price point, I guess.

A Qanba Q4 is a good choice, at $150 on Eightarc's site.
All Sanwa parts and dual modded for your convenience
They're also excellent

ADTerminal fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 13, 2014

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

ChaosArgate posted:

Depending on how patient you are, anytime there's a major fighting tournament like EVO, sticks pretty much always go on sale.

Mister Blueberry
Feb 17, 2010

Mike, Steve, what the hell
I don't understand people not buying Qanbas, since they are dual modded from the get go. When i got my stick, that option was not available so we got TEs because they could be modded to dual console easily, just get a Qanba.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Also before you throw down on a new stick, you might want to wait for ones that are compatible with the PS4 and/or Xbox One, since none currently are.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Mister Blueberry posted:

I don't understand people not buying Qanbas, since they are dual modded from the get go. When i got my stick, that option was not available so we got TEs because they could be modded to dual console easily, just get a Qanba.

Qanbas have a higher failure rate than TEs due to a cheap PCB. Most stick modders usually recommend against Qanbas because of the sheer amount of them they're asked to fix in contrast to other sticks like the Fighting Edge, TE, or even the SE.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
http://store.madcatz.com/categories/fightsticks/Mad-Catz-Arcade-FightStick-PRO-for-Xbox360.html has one for $130. I'm not sure what the difference is in the "PRO" version but there it is. They have PS3 ones also. I would probably still recommend an eightarc even though they are a bunch more expensive, dual modding is pretty nice.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Jeffrey posted:

I'm not sure what the difference is in the "PRO" version but there it is.

The PRO line were introduced with SFxT. They all have a really lovely cheap hollow plastic feel and use their own faceplate for artwork, etc. Don't pay more than $80 for one imo.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

Broken Loose posted:

Qanbas have a higher failure rate than TEs due to a cheap PCB. Most stick modders usually recommend against Qanbas because of the sheer amount of them they're asked to fix in contrast to other sticks like the Fighting Edge, TE, or even the SE.

The build quality is also pretty awful. I'm glad I got to use one before I actually purchased one, because I won't be getting one now.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ChaosArgate posted:

MadCatz usually sells the Soul Calibur V stick or the MLG stick for 99 bucks when they have a tournament sale. I try to post in here whenever that happens, so keep a look out.

Buhbuhj posted:

The build quality is also pretty awful. I'm glad I got to use one before I actually purchased one, because I won't be getting one now.

The only problem I have with them is that if something goes bad on them, you have to send it to China for the warranty (if you didn't mod it). There's been a few posts on SRK asking about it, and I'm glad I just got a TE and dual modded it myself.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I have an eightarc fusion which as I understand it is basically a qanba anyway. I've only had one issue with it (wouldn't turn the Xbox on) which was resolved by buying a new PCB from eightarc for :tenbux: and grabbing a screwdriver and installing it.

Doggboat
Oct 17, 2012

Buhbuhj posted:

I'm glad I got to use one before I actually purchased one, because I won't be getting one now.
Yeah, wouldn't have bought my qanba(bigben in europe) if I had the chance to test one. Don't like the felt on the bottom and the weight. It's handy for tournaments tho.

If you don't need a dual modded stick, go with a TE or HRAP.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nidhogg is out on Steam NOW for 11.99

edit: Best comment I've seen so far on Steam. "Bushido Blade 2014. Buy this game"

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jan 14, 2014

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I just learned the Nidhogg buttons and am now gonna take it to the streets (online). Check it out if you still are too cheap to buy it.

https://www.twitch.tv/gutcruncher/

Edit: done for now, all in all an awesome game with some real bad netcode.

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jan 14, 2014

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Paint Men Fight For the Honor of Being Eaten By A Dick

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Grab the Soul Calibur TE. It's usually 70ish on amazon and a PS360+ PCB.

Fixed for misreading information.

SethSeries fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 14, 2014

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

ManSeriesBrofist posted:

Newest firmware adds PS4 and Bone support.

What?!? I haven't heard that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

PLANES CURE TOWERS posted:

What?!? I haven't heard that.

Yeah I misread that. That's completely on me. Still go with PS360+ though. Good stuff.

• Locked thread