Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't understand why Jeff is so against patching in Patrick via Skype when it seems to work fine every time it's done.

Jeff is the cruel overlord that the rebel Vinny must overthrow to become the true podcast master.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vinny could never overthrow Jeff, Jeff taught him everything he knows.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

steakmancer posted:

Brad and Vinny have gained noticeable weight though.

Vinny used to be kind of a jock from his amazing stories of high school, so I wouldn't be shocked if he was working out consistently. Then his kid came along and all that probably went out the window.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can get easily fat once you have a close relationship/spouse that makes food for you.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Are they not gonna get a new podcast theme this year?

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

ImPureAwesome posted:

not in the budget

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

AdmiralViscen posted:

I don't understand why Jeff is so against patching in Patrick via Skype when it seems to work fine every time it's done.

Personally I'm glad he doesn't. I think four people is just about the right amount for a podcast like Giant Bomb's because once you get more than that it seems like they just talk over each other. I mean they do that with four but it gets worse the more people they get. It would be nice as a change of pace every once and a while or if he was actually in town though.

VR Native American
May 1, 2009
Gun Saliva

Rirse posted:

Similarly, what are some of the suggested mailbags. They are hard to find in the feature section since the page is full of either the daily Patrick segments or the much older question of the week.

There is this trilogy of mailbags from some crazy guy.
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-safety-dance-edition/2300-5861/
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-red-scanlon-edition/2300-6841/
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-live-stream-in-a-box/2300-7834/

And Dodgy Kong is one of the best overlooked QL's.
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/giant-bomb-mailbag-el-jugador-edition/2300-2044/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

ImPureAwesome posted:

Jeff mentioned a while back that they're well overdue for a new podcast theme and new video bumpers.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Sushi in Yiddish posted:

Remember everybody swearing to get healthier back then, good to see that some good has come out of it.

I wonder if it is the lack of the "right kind of pizza" in Petaluma that helps Jeff keep off the pounds. Easy access to cheap and bad fast food really does make a difference.

You obviously don't listen to his Mixlr, dude eats some form of terrible fast food like three out of five nights a week. But he says he also skips lunch a lot of the time.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Skype podcasts lack some sort of familiarity, is what I think Jeff said his stance was on it. People talking over each other all the time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Fallom posted:

Vinny could never overthrow Jeff, Jeff taught him everything he knows.

Noted Rhode Island swindler Rich Gallup taught both of them everything they know.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Jeff would never see it coming though. Vinny would sneak in, then go for the kill.

Bufu.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

ChaosReaper posted:

Personally I'm glad he doesn't. I think four people is just about the right amount for a podcast like Giant Bomb's because once you get more than that it seems like they just talk over each other. I mean they do that with four but it gets worse the more people they get. It would be nice as a change of pace every once and a while or if he was actually in town though.

Whenever they do it the skyper barely gets a word in unless they really want to (listening to the GOTY 2013 podcasts).

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Delsaber posted:

Jeff would never see it coming though. Vinny would sneak in, then go for the kill.

Bufu.

Jeff heals from Ice attacks.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Rirse posted:

Been downloading favorite videos from the second post and the list is pretty much perfect, but I notice it missing the DSi XL unboxing video.

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/dsi-xl-unboxing-extravanganza/2300-2223/

That is actually a really good one that is missed. Putting it in there now, thanks Rirse!

e; I'll get the posted mailbags from this page in there too, might as well. I'll try and find the Twinkie one too, because that is insane.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Very interesting Morning scoops today on the topic of advertisement and steam sales heavily boosting overall sales for indie games. The guest had maybe 3 months of salary for the first 6 months, then the christmas sale gave him a year's worth, then Total Biscuit reviewing it gave him another 2-3 years.

edit: And later on he tells that Sony is very friendly for indie gamers and it makes big boosts to sales as well, because then they learn it's on PC and get that.

Tae fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 4, 2014

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Tae posted:

Very interesting Morning scoops today on the topic of advertisement and steam sales heavily boosting overall sales for indie games. The guest had maybe 3 months of salary for the first 6 months, then the christmas sale gave him a year's worth, then Total Biscuit reviewing it gave him another 2-3 years.

Kind of makes that Castle Doctrine dude look like a huge idiot, huh?

The story is the same for every drat game, too.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bogart posted:

Skype podcasts lack some sort of familiarity, is what I think Jeff said his stance was on it. People talking over each other all the time.

Skype podcasts also have fairly crappy quality.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

All of the Vinnie-hosted podcasts where Patrick guested were via Skype and the quality was excellent.

Astro Creep
May 14, 2013

There's no time, hurry up!

Everything's so fantastic!
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Patrick records his own audio track and sends it to them post-recording, and they sync it up during editing.

Maybe it's another podcast I'm thinking of, though. I know Video Games Hot Dog used to do (maybe still does) that.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Yeah, the ones where Pat guested via Skype were great, and the GOTY where Alex guests in via Skype (or, I think it was Skype) is good, and all of the Powerbombcasts have been good.

e; and yeah, I think recording your side of the audio is the standard practice with those kinds of podcasts.

e2; nice to see the skull is back

Another Person fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Feb 4, 2014

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Well he may be making money maaaan, but did the people buying actually savor the game?

Answer is probably yes and if they don't play it right away, they'll probably get around to it eventually.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Tae posted:

edit: And later on he tells that Sony is very friendly for indie gamers and it makes big boosts to sales as well, because then they learn it's on PC and get that.

Honestly other then one or two jack offs who are usually wealthy already no one says they have bad experiences with steam sales. It always seems to work in favor of making people gently caress tons of money and it makes perfect sense. Sure some people won't buy things not on sale but they do buy things on sale. poo poo you probably see way more purchases because of those people. Rather then thinking about it they just go oh man 90% off gotta get that. You might be "devaluing" your "artistic masterpiece" but even Leonardo da Vinci had to eat and 99.99999% of indie devs can't just afford to take a sabbatical where they get bitten by a dog for no reason. what I'm saying is that guy is a colossal jackass

It reminds me a lot of the piracy argument in that people sometimes thing that every single sale during a steam sale is taking that 75% profit away from the developers when in reality it's more than made up by the increased publicity and sales figures.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Steam is opening a music store apparently. Timely.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rodyle posted:

Steam is opening a music store apparently. Timely.
Pretty sure it's just a music player, primarily for Big Picture mode/SteamOS. There's rumors of Spotify integration, but nothing confirmed yet.

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Half-life 3:The Musical

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Bogart posted:

Yeah, there's a certain dynamic to having everyone actually in the same room that gets lost when you Skype people in. That said, I don't think it's that bad and Patrick and Alex make it work just fine on the morning show.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

IRQ posted:

Yeah, there's a certain dynamic to having everyone actually in the same room that gets lost when you Skype people in. That said, I don't think it's that bad and Patrick and Alex make it work just fine on the morning show.

MBMBaM is all Skype and doesn't suffer any of those issues.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Monster w21 Faces posted:

On the other hand idle thumbs is all in the same room and they have lots of cross talk.

I think its 99% whose talking 1% technology.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Drew's attempt at "Здравствуйте" is painful. Also what the gently caress is this really a game where you play as Laika?

E: yes, that does in fact seem to be the case. Like, Megaman Zero starring Laika. This is amazing.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Feb 4, 2014

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

BARONS GAMES WHINER posted:

Thank God he is a huge idiot or else there might be some horrible mistake.

Fancy Hat!
Dec 5, 2003

In spite of how he's dressed, he ain't nobody's fool.
Watching the past few Unprofessional Fridays, and I'm so so glad to see Vinny back in charge of video again. His screwing around with wipes never gets old. Did something happen to Ian though?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Ian's left CBSi to go work with Dave Snider on his next project (a new CMS, I believe?)

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

If this Sun at Night game doesn't end with fighting Mecha-Stalin I'll be very disappointed.

Looks neat, though I'm not sure if Drew was making it look harder than it is.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Eastbound Spider posted:

Half-life 3:The Musical

I look forward to the Gordon Freeman a capella expansion pack.

e'. Pretty sure I'm Dave's waiting list for when it hits beta, or on a list at least. For anyone interested, here is a link. I think it is a blogging system, hence why I signed up.

e2; new QL up too, The Sun at Night, Drew is on it, for any Drew fans out there.

Another Person fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Feb 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Pretty sure it was Ryan who didn't want Skype in the podcast.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Jeff has also voiced his grievances in the past on Skypecasts, he seems less averse now tho.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Monster w21 Faces posted:

This is completely true, though it should be noted you're unlikely to find another podcasting trio that has been working together for as long as they have. You can tell they know exactly what to expect out of one another with regard to timing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Toaster Beef posted:

This is completely true, though it should be noted you're unlikely to find another podcasting trio that has been working together for as long as they have. You can tell they know exactly what to expect out of one another with regard to timing.

Also I was under the impression they edit it some to make it sound better but I may be talking out my rear end

• Locked thread