Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

SymfonyMan posted:

You are this game's target audience because you are a loving moron. It's nothing at all like Skyrim. It's a wow style time combat fighting with clickable attacks like Neverwinter. There are no hit boxes in this game at all. You just weightlessly fight things. It's 100% not like Skyrim in any way shape in form except for the setting and lore.

It's a giant piece of poo poo that will be f2p in under about a year or less just like TOR.

drat there is nothing i like better than clicking on a target and watching my character go through five recycled fight animations over and over again, intermittently pressing a key to use an ability with a 20 second cooldown

at least in the older ES games there was collision and you had to have some degree of timing in your attacks, even if it wasn't much and a special ed kid could do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Trees and Squids posted:

i got into the beta and never played because the game is clearly a huge piece of poo poo. also skyrim had the worst combat of all time

this, but let's be realistic. In retrospect oblivion and morrowind is now wose.

Few years ago I said one day morrowind would be too arcane to be playable, and it's getting there for sure.

also their spell and enchantment system is poo poo garbage and needs heavily revamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Few years ago I said one day morrowind would be too arcane to be playable, and it's getting there for sure.

also their spell and enchantment system is poo poo garbage and needs heavily revamped

anyone who thinks morrowind's combat is too arcane needs to play as a mage

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Don Tacorleone posted:

Isn't WOW dying from bleeding thousands of subscribers daily, which is what spurred Blizzard into actually making games again (i.e. Hearthstone)?

WoW gained 200,000 subs last quarter.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Omi-Polari posted:

correction: you were the only other person to play shadowbane.

My favorite part of Shadowbane was how it allowed you to play a thief and pickpocket other players, taking money or items right out of their inventory. I liked to pickpocket AFK people and then run and hide before anyone figured out what was going on.

Sometimes when I was in a group fighting monsters and doing the regular MMO thing, I would sneak up on fellow group members and pickpocket them while they were distracted trying to help the group.

That was fun but most of the game was kinda boring.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
They should make it free to play... buy only for khajit players. Also these players will be slaves.

e: Zenimax should drop the whole elder scrolls thing and make Slavery Online. Premium is $100 and will enable you to buy slaves (free-to-play players) and earn 80% of the experience and gold their slaves find. However, your slaveowner tax is $20 per month and if you ever are delinquent in paying the monthly fee, you will be sold into slavery and lose all your slaves! Fun for the whole family.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 7, 2014

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

Don Tacorleone posted:

I have tried Neverwinter and found the mechanics fun to play even if it turns into a steaming pile of boring crap at level 60, is TESO actually worse? Neverwinter for all its faults is fun to actually play, the action game style is decent.

Replying to ya from 2 pages back but Neverwinter was fun but I started playing it right from launch so I basically hit the content wall but I really liked it until that point and I really liked the arena combat. I'm sure now if you started now there would be plenty to do and you'd never be able to catch up with add ons, although I'm sure everyone is probably running around in neon armor with ghosts and poo poo chasing them.

To be fair TESO also looks way the hell better now then it did when I played it like 6 months ago but I'm saying that from seeing a single screenshot someone posted.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Popular Thug Drink posted:

good mmo list

-planetside
-UO i guess
-muds back in the 90's

Rift, FFXIV

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Good thing some nerds are remaking the entire game in an open-source engine, so that just about any modification to the basic poo poo will work.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Arivia posted:

WoW gained 200,000 subs last quarter.

Eve has been steadily gaining subs for 11 years but that doesn't make it good, just the least bad of a bunch of awful poo poo

SunAndSpring posted:

Good thing some nerds are remaking the entire game in an open-source engine, so that just about any modification to the basic poo poo will work.

to be fair the skywind team also recreated morrowind in oblivion and never even finished making it playable before skyrim came out, but I wish them the best because morrowind slurped down a huge chunk of my depressing childhood

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i got into the latest beta round and i'm actually looking forward to it because i'm a cheap date with low standards.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Omi-Polari posted:

i got into the latest beta round and i'm actually looking forward to it because i'm a cheap date with low standards.

I played a few beta weekends ago and it makes me sad that it's a bad MMO that I'd have to actually play and level through to see the world, because the first few areas looked and felt really nice and I'd love to look around elsweyr and whatnot unburdened by inexplicably non-TES gameplay mechanics like plates you can't steal and inns full of yiffing furries

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Has anyone said CHIM yet?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

SunAndSpring posted:

!!
but will it be functional or will it also be a piece of poo poo as well?

gggiiimmmppp posted:

to be fair the skywind team also recreated morrowind in oblivion and never even finished making it playable

drat it.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Rift is the best WoW clone by a wide margin.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Rift is the best WoW clone by a wide margin.

FFXIV is considerably better designed than rift, it only compares negatively in terms of content since it hasn't been out as long.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

another fun thing about porting morrowind to a modern engine is that it is 1:1 in terms of size with skyrim and oblivion as-is and you can climb on a roof in balmora and see every city on that coast down to Vivec because they're all basically right next to each other, it just seemed big because you have to walk at cripplespeed until you level up athletics and the areas in between make you go around your elbow a lot fighting cliff racers the whole time

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
fuckkit, go retrograde into daggerfield or whatever DOS one, poo poo was scaled realistically.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, some dude is "porting" it to a modern 3D version. He literally put it into debug mode, set the walk speed to a jumbo jet, and it took like 14 hours to get across the continent.

that's a loving game.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

gggiiimmmppp posted:

another fun thing about porting morrowind to a modern engine is that it is 1:1 in terms of size with skyrim and oblivion as-is and you can climb on a roof in balmora and see every city on that coast down to Vivec because they're all basically right next to each other, it just seemed big because you have to walk at cripplespeed until you level up athletics and the areas in between make you go around your elbow a lot fighting cliff racers the whole time

i assume by "cripplespeed" you mean normal walking speed instead of jogging constantly like some kind of robot

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

fuckkit, go retrograde into daggerfield or whatever DOS one, poo poo was scaled realistically.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, some dude is "porting" it to a modern 3D version. He literally put it into debug mode, set the walk speed to a jumbo jet, and it took like 14 hours to get across the continent.

that's a loving game.

yeah that sure sounds fun

MY BF LESLIE SAID
Jun 9, 2006

by Lowtax
Is**

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
"What, i've been playing this total conversion of elder scrolls. Yeah so i've been playing it for five years. I- look, this is the equivalent of Marco Polo here! Don't you get what I've accomplished??"

A Keg
Jan 7, 2014

by Ralp
What is the story of Elder Scrolls other than Patrick Stewart did a voice in a game?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Parallax Scroll posted:

yeah that sure sounds fun

it's actually a pretty cool and really impressive game for the time. daggerfall was a hell of a game in its day, but i can't imagine anyone going into it for the first time now and liking it much.

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Cucktales Blogger posted:

What is the story of Elder Scrolls other than Patrick Stewart did a voice in a game?

Imagine if JRR Tolkein and GRRM and a bunch of cliché fantasy authors all got together and wrote a few short stories but never finished them. It's basically that. No midgets though.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Last_Ranger posted:

Imagine if JRR Tolkein and GRRM and a bunch of cliché fantasy authors all got together and wrote a few short stories but never finished them. It's basically that. No midgets though.

jrrt and grrm both have a significantly better command of narrative structure the english language than the people writing elder scrolls, of course so do most D&D and star wars authors.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

rainy day posted:

jrrt and grrm both have a significantly better command of narrative structure the english language than the people writing elder scrolls, of course so do most D&D and star wars authors.

I'm pretty sure your average Star Wars author has a better grasp of narrative than JRR Fartkien

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

gggiiimmmppp posted:

to be fair the skywind team also recreated morrowind in oblivion and never even finished making it playable before skyrim came out, but I wish them the best because morrowind slurped down a huge chunk of my depressing childhood
They kept a bunch of the stuff they did for the Oblivion mod since the engines are pretty much the same so it means they are much further along than they would be if they started from scratch. I'm slightly optimistic that it could happen.

What pisses me off about ESO is that they included Coldharbour, the realm of Molag Baal and it looked like the most interesting part of the game. Pretty much means that after this crashes and burns they'll never include it in a proper Elder Scrolls.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Morrowind was legit good. Oblivion was a loving turd and Skyrim was a prettier turd.

The Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim has a bunch of Morrowind-flavor stuff and it's basically non-stop nostalgiagasms.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Last_Ranger posted:

Hmm, yes, close, now add retarded dialogue and nonsensical physics, characters, story beats and locations, we're getting closer

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Welp installing this 30g monstrosity because gently caress life. Wish me luck what to roll???

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face
most fun i ever had with elder scrolls was making an orc knight in oblivion and then jacking the difficulty to max.

took me forever just escape the prison and even then the mudcrabs were one-shotting me

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What is CHIM?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
vivec found out cheat codes

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Some ideas for TES themed games more profitable and better reviewed than this trainwreck:

A Morrowind pinball table
Skyrim poker cards
Arena POGs

You are welcome, Bethesda.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

bef posted:

What is CHIM?

it basically means that anything you mod into the game is canon because you are a god who has figured out how to do god things. it's a novel way of doing things i guess. it made sense in morrowind since you actually were a god in that game, less so in oblivion where you were just some dude and skyrim where you were a reborn hero but not really a god at all.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Thats hilarious

Whenever I pull up my inventory and I chug a health potion, my enemies sit frozen in time because its completely canon

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Don Tacorleone posted:

Hmm, yes, close, now add retarded dialogue and nonsensical physics, characters, story beats and locations, we're getting closer

the npcs in elder scrolls dont really deserve to be called characters in a writing sense tbh

MotherFuckingT-REX
Feb 8, 2011

I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT I WANNA THROW IT
all i want is Morrowind with some sort of Mount and Blade-esque actual combat for non-spell fightin'

i would die happy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

rainy day posted:

the npcs in elder scrolls dont really deserve to be called characters in a writing sense tbh

Hey, person I've never met, would you like to marry me?

• Locked thread