Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Calax posted:

(I don't remember the zerg campaign from Starcraft ok!?)

The Zerg Campaign in Starcraft 1 (not Brood War) has you following the Overmind generally but you get to use Kerrigan a little. Her main role is that she's watching over Char as the Overmind is seeking out the Protoss homeworld of Aiur. Despite the Overmind technically controlling her, she still has some ability to act freely. Her first mission sees her heading to a science vessel to unlock her artificially inhibited psionic powers (getting her the ability to use the Psi storm ability I believe) and just power up basically.

Later she senses that Tassadar and Zeratul, their respective templars are on the planet Char for whatever reason and she wants to kill Tassadar. She destroys a Protoss base to lure him out, but it's just a mirror image. While she was wasting time, Zeratul and Tassadar slay the cerebrate known as Zasz. Normally if you kill a cerebrate, the Overmind just reincarnates it, but the Dark Templars & Zeratul have the power to sever that link. However, when Zeratul killed that cerebrate, the Overmind connected to Zeratul's mind and from there it learned of Aiur's location. Without that Cerebrate, Zasz' brood goes insane and the dark templars attempt to evacuate. Kerrigan eradicates the renegade brood then cuts off the Dark Templar's retreat. Afterwards, she is done in SC1 and the Zerg attack Aiur.

For Brood War, what everyone else has said is pretty much it. Since the Overmind was killed by Tassadar at the end of SC1, she like all the other cerebrates are free of its control and so she sets out to take over the swarm bit by bit while also manipulating Mengsk & others into crushing the UED and stopping them from enslaving a new Overmind. She promised Mengsk, in return for Psi macguffins to bring the swarm under her control, that she would retake Korhal for him. She did take Korhal from the UED and its Zerg pets, but afterwards betrayed him, killing Edmund Duke & Fenix. From there, Kerrigan shows her true colors and kidnaps the matriarch of the Dark Templar, Raszagal to force Zeratul to use his Dark Templars to kill the new overmind. Kerrigan had infested the matriarch, forcing Zeratul to kill her.

Then Kerrigan kills every last one of the UED, I believe she kills Artanis, and drives Mengsk away in a 3 on 1 battle. From there to this game, she's been rebuilding the swarm to take revenge on Mengsk for leaving her to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

All this Starcraft talk really makes me want to re-play the first game. It's one of my top 3 games of all time and I love the art/story/music.
That said, I didn't get Starcraft 2 because of the always-online requirement even for single player. Is this still the case or has the DRM been rolled back?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

Man, now I can't wait to see these Protoss guys show up in the game. I really wish someone had done the First Starcraft game so I could get some backstory on this stuff and not have to ask a bunch of probably super-obvious questions. Cuz I'm so lost on this Queen of Blades stuff or who Jim Raynor is supposed to be. :psyduck:

The Zerg and Protoss are basically the two sides of the coin that is Aliens in Science Fiction. Zerg are (essentially) mindless killing machines that just breed and spawn and take over everything. Protoss are all super-advanced and wise and some of 'em have psychic powers (iirc).

Everybody else already covered everything else either more succinctly and/or more in depth than I ever could without playing the game again or reading the wiki.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

RareAcumen posted:

Doesn't Warcraft have like seven different games out or something? Or expansions? Either way, I can't say I'm too surprised about that. MMOs always seemed like a huge mess to keep coherent in the best of times.
Warcraft's game cosmology:

Warcraft: Orcs and Humans - this was originally just supposed to be Warhammer on the PC. Orcs are chaotic ravenous nerdfaces and humans are shining protectors of the kingdom. Canonically, it ends with the orcs winning and butchering everyone in Stormwind Keep, the capitol of the most prosperous human nation on the planet.

Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness - Here, Blizzard refined their story past 'warhammer on the PC' and got a few extra nuances in play, but Orcs and their allies, the Trolls and Ogres, are still generally chaotic ravenous nerdfaces, while the humans and their Alliance (elves, dwarves, gnomes, and humans themselves) are largely portrayed as the rightful inhabitants of Azeroth fighting against a bad wind a-risin'. Canonically, the Alliance wins, pushes the Horde back through the Dark Portal they came from, and then uses a big honkin' mage dude to blow it up.

Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - Because Reasons, the Dark Portal still exists, so the Alliance rolls into the portal to commit genocide or close the portal from the other side. Or both, it's really never explained that well. Except some of them don't, because some of the weaker human nations are like 'gently caress that, they gone, man'. Anyway, one thing leads to another and the Big Bad Orcs like Ner'zhul and Gul'dan brew up some really hardcore magics to gently caress up the attacking Alliance troopers and they start to tear their own planet apart because while they're powerful and all they're still pretty bad at their jobs. It canonically ends with the Alliance forces, including some big names like Khadgar, rolling through one of the other portals blindly because Jesus Christ this planet is blowing the gently caress up!

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos - So remember that part where all the orcs got pushed back through the Dark Portal? Turns out we lied and there's been a lot of them living in settlements that amount to concentration camps in Azeroth. So that's a thing. Oh hey, and remember when we told you that the orcs were bad dudes and their leadership was all total jerkwads like Ner'zhul and Gul'dan, who use world-destroying magics rather than face the music that they suck and they lost? Yeah turns out we lied about that too. Orcs were only all violent and stuff because they drank a bunch of demon blood. They were convinced to do this Because Reasons. So while they're living in Orcy Auschwitz, the demon blood wears off, because that's apparently also a thing that happens, and now they're all tribal and shamanistic and stuff and you're kind of a jerk if you want to oppress that ethnicity. So, the Bad Orc Ner'zhul became lord of the dead due to a process we're not going to elaborate on until years later. A bunch of dead dudes start attacking non-dead dudes in human lands and a bunch of dudes get their poo poo kicked in. While that's going on and the humans are all preoccupied, the Cool Orcs escaped and started looking for a home of their own, making friends with other Native American and Jamaican Islander knockoffs along the way. Then at the end a bunch of demons show up because they still want to bust up Azeroth because...gently caress it, we don't know, they're demons, okay? It doesn't matter. Anyway everyone finds unity in the face of a Real Evil and the Big Bad Demon gets blown up by a tree. Really if we cut the camera away during the part where dudes get murdered we could probably air this poo poo on Lifetime.

Warcraft III: Frozen Throne - Okay so you know that part where we said Ner'zhul was lord of the dead and had access to the minds of a bunch of dead dudes? Okay turns out we lied and there's a bunch of dead dudes that he doesn't have control over anymore, mostly because we said so. But he still has a ton of dead dudes following him so really it's the same thing. Seriously. Also you remember how we told you that the planet of the orcs was blowing up and poo poo? Yeah turns out we kinda lied about that one too. It's fragmented and stuff but it's being held together in space by...whatever, it just is, OK? It's magic, I ain't gotta explain poo poo. Anyway, this one elf chick is really really interested in chasing this other big like...demon-elf...guy...because he's a criminal and stuff. What'd he do? Uh it's not really that important, we're just gonna gloss over that in about 2 minutes and assume you get it. Anyway she's kind of bad at her job. Also hey remember that race of other elves that got their poo poo kicked in back in Warcraft 3? Turns out getting their poo poo kicked in made them pretty huge jerks, because they are addicted to arcane magic. What the gently caress do you mean, what the gently caress do I mean? They're elves, man, I ain't gotta explain poo poo. So anyway they're addicted and they team up with the demon elf guy because they figure he's heading for the biggest arcane magic source. Then they make a deal with a demon to kill some of the undead dudes. Anyway the game ends with a dead human fighting the demon elf guy because the dead human is trying to wake up the Bad Orc Ner'zhul and become prince of the dead guys. The demon elf guy gets his rear end kicked, because it turns out he's also kinda bad at his job. Anyway the dead human becomes...well, a way more powerful dead human.

World of Warcraft - Hey, you know what? Why don't you just tell me what you'd like to see and that'll become the new thing that's true.

As you can see, even before WoW, the Warcraft cosmology was completely hosed up and the books in support of the mythos only make it worse. The attitude in WoW where people just give the gently caress up and bend to popular opinion 90% of the time was really just the logical conclusion of where they were always going.

Now, the point of all this is this question: with a record like that, do you really think that Starcraft is going to be THAT much better about consistency? Yeah, I didn't think so.

TwoPair posted:

The Zerg and Protoss are basically the two sides of the coin that is Aliens in Science Fiction. Zerg are (essentially) mindless killing machines that just breed and spawn and take over everything. Protoss are all super-advanced and wise and some of 'em have psychic powers (iirc).
You know how I mentioned above that Warcraft was supposed to be Warhammer only on PC? Yeah Starcraft is basically Warhammer 40k on PC. The Zerg are so shamelessly ripped off of the Tyranids that most of their combat forms even LOOK similar, and the Protoss are minimally rethought Eldar, right down to their healthy disdain for humanity but tempered by blinding flashes of respect for a couple individual Terrans/Imperials.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Coolguye posted:

You know how I mentioned above that Warcraft was supposed to be Warhammer only on PC? Yeah Starcraft is basically Warhammer 40k on PC. The Zerg are so shamelessly ripped off of the Tyranids that most of their combat forms even LOOK similar, and the Protoss are minimally rethought Eldar, right down to their healthy disdain for humanity but tempered by blinding flashes of respect for a couple individual Terrans/Imperials.

Although Starcraft Marines are not genetic supermonks who dwarf regular humans and spit acid... they're criminals who get mind controlled into the army (yes, really).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Calax posted:

Although Starcraft Marines are not genetic supermonks who dwarf regular humans and spit acid... they're criminals who get mind controlled into the army (yes, really).

The Terrans in Starcraft aren't Space Marines. They're the Imperial Guard. Your average Marine is someone that society at large doesn't care about and is usually coerced or forced into fighting, given armor that's typically more for show than for function. The only thing that's missing is the dude in the huge hat screaming at them to serve on the front line or the firing line.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Coolguye posted:

The only thing that's missing is the dude in the huge hat screaming at them to serve on the front line or the firing line.

You mean the player? :v:

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

They have that, in their brains...

Seriously, in the books they go into combat on so many drugs that they'll take orders from anyone who seems like they're in charge. Liberty's Crusade (yes I read the books... years ago) had one instance where Liberty (a reporter kicked to the backwater of Mar Sara due to politics) ends up in the middle of the first games terran campaign, and defuses a situation by just flat out ordering a group of marines to go away... without actually having any military authority.

Of course, he also goes out hunting for zerg, and his Chaperone (who's a "nice girl" in general) snaps and her old personality comes back right before she's killed. An old personality that would literally fillet men she picked up at bars.

http://starcraft.wikia.com/wiki/Emily_Swallow

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Coolguye posted:

World of Warcraft - Hey, you know what? Why don't you just tell me what you'd like to see and that'll become the new thing that's true.

As you can see, even before WoW, the Warcraft cosmology was completely hosed up and the books in support of the mythos only make it worse. The attitude in WoW where people just give the gently caress up and bend to popular opinion 90% of the time was really just the logical conclusion of where they were always going.

Remember how the Blood Elves, the survivors of Dalaran and Quel'Thalas after the undead and demons wrecked both joints, were addicted to magic and stuff.

Well, turns out the Elves that Jaina took to Kalimdor didn't have any of these problems. So they are still as arrogant as Second War Elves with none of the hubris that makes the Space Pirate Blood Elves remotely likable.

This will no doubt all be retconned in the next WoW expansion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Calax posted:

This was also originally the deal with Space Marines back in Rogue Trader when the line first came out, if I recall. They were originally roided up, insane, mind-jacked criminals and convicts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Calax posted:

In the first Starcraft, a point was made that Zerg could only really "die" if killed by a member of the splinter faction because of... some reason.

Wait, [this is probably me being hung up on wording] does that mean that you can't really kill any Zerg unless you're a member of that faction or is that in reference to Zerg as a whole?

Calax posted:

Should be noted that the first game had a pretty thick book of backstory built into it... when companies actually gave us those instruction books *sigh*

Hallelujah, validation! I'm not crazy for liking manuals/ instruction booklets that came with games! But. They were usually in color back then too so it mostly evens out. :smith:

Raldan posted:

Yeah, no problem, I'll show a building being constructed during the next video.

Thanks a bunch! I can't wait to see what kind of troops you get as Terrans. [Terrans are us right?] And Protoss.

Oh and uh Advanced Medic Facilities & Smash And Grab. I'm gonna feel real silly if it turns out there's a better Medic unit coming up soon. :v:

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 8, 2014

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

Wait, [this is probably me being hung up on wording] does that mean that you can't really kill any Zerg unless you're a member of that faction or is that in reference to Zerg as a whole?

It was only the Cerebrates.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

Hallelujah, validation! I'm not crazy for liking manuals/ instruction booklets that came with games! But. They were usually in color back then too so it mostly evens out. :smith:

For nostalgia/saving me looking up the box, the original manual here on Blizzard's site if folks want to read the history/backstory (and some very cool illustations I thought).

Blizzard has a nice summary of the SC/BW story on it's site, but as noted watch for retcons/spoiling yourself if you click on characters biographies.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Feb 8, 2014

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

I just wanted to make a comment on how much I like mission 3 before we move onto the next one. I haven't watched the video yet, forgive me if you went over some of this already.

Basically, in terms of gameplay structure, the first three missions in Starcraft II are callbacks to the first three missions in the original Starcraft. They all perform the same purpose in terms of what they're teaching the player to do, and the third mission is a callback especially, because it has exactly the same objective: survive for twenty minutes while you're outnumbered by zerg.

This may have been my favorite mission in the original Starcraft, since it was a fairly unique concept, and as has been stated already, the missions in the original Starcraft didn't have much variety in them. But it was also a great mission from a story perspective. The main premise underlying the introductory missions is that the zerg are a fairly recently discovered alien menace that are terrifying because their armies are so vast that they're completely flooding and decimating planets and no one can really do anything to stop it, and the third mission gets this across very well by making it so that your only goal is to not die long enough until evacuation arrives.

Or at least, it's effective for players who are new enough that they don't know how to counteract the zerg. Someone who's played the game enough, the type of person who knows to build more than one barracks and have more than one SCV per crystal, will know how to play efficiently enough that they can wipe out the zerg base before the clock runs out, ruining the tension of the wait somewhat.

But the SC2 variation of the mission addresses that. On Normal difficulty, the mission plays out about the same way as it did in the original Starcraft, and you can destroy the zerg before the clock runs out and lower their numbers considerably by doing so. But the game recognizes that you can do this, and actually gives you an achievement for doing it, encouraging new player to broaden their playstyles by attempting to go on the offensive even when that's not the main objective. On top of that, they also provided Brutal difficulty, where you really can't cheese the mission like that and you have to play it defensively in order to survive, and put effort into your defense, the way the story intends.

So basically, SC2 took the original mission and expanded on it, making it more fitting to what it was they were trying to accomplish with the original while simultaneously encouraging players to try a variety of different gameplay techniques to get through the mission, raising the replay value. But there's more than that. In the original Starcraft, this "unique" mission was basically a one-time thing, and the vast majority of the others were just straight-up base-building, enemy-invading deals. But in Starcraft II, every mission is given as much thought as the survival mission. Each one has different objectives, and each one has special achievements to encourage going back to the mission and playing it in a particular way. It shows creative thinking on the part of the developers, and it actively encourages creative thinking in the players.

I love mission 3 because I see it as the prologue to the Starcraft II campaign. It sends the message, "We know what concepts made this mission special in the original game, so we've decided to take those concepts and apply them to all the missions, including the ones you've already played, including that mission specifically. We're retaining everything that matters and was fun in the original Starcraft, but we don't want you to feel like you're retracing your steps at any point." And I never did. Until HotS

And mission 3 gets even better once you reach the final mission and realize it's basically a souped-up version of mission 3 (though again, with different mechanics), bringing everything around full circle.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Coolguye posted:

As a Tyranid player and a Zerg fan I honestly don't really see much resemblance beyond that which is always going to be the case for two groups of bug aliens, and at least one Tyranid is pretty clearly inspired by Starcraft given it's relatively new (the Ravener is basically a Hydralisk).

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
My vote's for Stimpacks and Evacuation, because Jim's too much of a good guy to leave those colonists hanging.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Feinne posted:

As a Tyranid player and a Zerg fan I honestly don't really see much resemblance beyond that which is always going to be the case for two groups of bug aliens, and at least one Tyranid is pretty clearly inspired by Starcraft given it's relatively new (the Ravener is basically a Hydralisk).

After the first Starcraft came out one of the Blizzard devs was interviewed and asked whether or not the Tyranids were the inspiration for the Zerg. I believe he said, "Absolutely."

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Lunethex posted:

Then Kerrigan kills every last one of the UED, I believe she kills Artanis, and drives Mengsk away in a 3 on 1 battle. From there to this game, she's been rebuilding the swarm to take revenge on Mengsk for leaving her to die.

I'm pretty sure Artanis survives in the final Brood War mission. You might be thinking of Kerrigan killing Aldaris on Shakuras.

RareAcumen posted:

The Zerg generals called Cerebrates are reincarnated if they are killed by conventional means. However, they can be permanently killed if a Protoss Dark Templar destroys them. The Dark Templar are the untouchable caste of the Protoss due to their religious differences. They can can kill celebrates by severing the Overmind's connection to them. If a Celebrate dies, its Zerg brood goes on a rampage.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Deadmeat5150 posted:

After the first Starcraft came out one of the Blizzard devs was interviewed and asked whether or not the Tyranids were the inspiration for the Zerg. I believe he said, "Absolutely."

Oh yeah no doubt, I was just disputing that the end result had a really strong physical resemblance beyond the obvious of sci-fi bug things always having certain things in common.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
There aren't supposed to be any more Cerebrates anymore though, their job was taken over by the Queens because Kerrigan didn't like them very much or something, also the whole thing about the Overmind dying and Cerebrates being able to merge into a new one didn't exactly seem like something Kerrigan would want after becoming free from his influence so that's probably why.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sunning posted:

I'm pretty sure Artanis survives in the final Brood War mission.

He did. Artanis will make a very brief appearance in this game.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Sunning posted:

I'm pretty sure Artanis survives in the final Brood War mission. You might be thinking of Kerrigan killing Aldaris on Shakuras.

The Zerg generals called Cerebrates are reincarnated if they are killed by conventional means. However, they can be permanently killed if a Protoss Dark Templar destroys them. The Dark Templar are the untouchable caste of the Protoss due to their religious differences. They can can kill celebrates by severing the Overmind's connection to them. If a Celebrate dies, its Zerg brood goes on a rampage.

Aldaris, the High Templar guy who puts Tassadar on trial in Starcraft, dies. Artanis, the Executor from Brood War, survives. I'm pretty sure.

You're also underselling how exiled the dark templar are from Protoss society. The protoss in general are joined by a sort of psychic web, vaguely analogous to the zerg hive mind, except they are all individuals. The dark templar are not--their minds are all seperate. It was so detestable to the protoss that the dark templar were exiled from Aiur, the protoss homeworld, and eventually resettled on Shakuras.

The mainstream protoss detested the dark templar until the Overmind found and invaded Aiur. Without a homeworld, the dark templar provided shelter to the rest of the Protoss race, and now all of the protoss share Shakuras as their new homeworld.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Artanis is in fact pretty much in charge, because Zeratul has been away doing... something. We'll find out what later.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Sunning posted:

Is that still the case in Broodwar etc though. Zeratul had to kill the new Overmind just like Tassadar had to kill the old one, but without an overmind, would they still come back from the dead?
Kerrigan says that the Overmind reincarnates them in original SC.

Though I guess it's a moot point at this time, since by now all the Cerebrates are dead.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Except for the single secret extra cerebrate that got corrupted by too much essence and has been nurturing its crush on Zeratul but now it's back and they have to fight to the death for the essence of love, with extra essence.

Poil fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Feb 9, 2014

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Holy poo poo did that word lose all meaning by the end of the Zerg campaign. :zerg:

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

SageNytell posted:

Holy poo poo did that word lose all meaning by the end of the Zerg campaign. :zerg:

Yeah, you run into that thing where a word stops sounding like a real word.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Coolguye posted:

Starcraft IS a Warhammer ripoff..

But the current Tyranids are far different from the old ones. Nids are more inspired by Zerg then vice versa in modern day appearances.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
It's interesting how little Terran/Protoss tension there was in any of the campaigns in SC1. In the original Terran campaign there was the "the Protoss commander Tassadar blows up planets infested by the Zerg" tension, which did cause problems when the Zerg hit Terran-inhabited planets, leading to the mission where, after siccing the Zerg on the Terran Confederacy capital of Tarsonis, Mengsk orders you to keep the Protoss from blowing his new prize up. After that, there's one anti-Dominion mission in the Protoss campaign, but it's almost a sidenote, while at the same time Tassadar and Jim Raynor became best buds and Raynor basically becomes a wannabe Protoss, hanging out with Fenix and the rest of them.

In Brood War, Artanis has to punch through a UED blockade and the UED eventually has to assault Raynor and Fenix's ragtag faction, but both are kind of throwaway side missions. (The latter one is interesting because it's a Terran army vs a Protoss army with four different unaligned Zerg armies that could attack either side).

What I guess I'm saying is that I hope for more Terran vs Protoss. It's the rarest matchup of the six possible pairings (TvT, TvZ, TvP, PvZ, PvP, ZvZ) in the original game.

EDIT: Hey, wait. Didn't Tassadar destroy Mar Sara? Why is it still around?

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 9, 2014

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Patter Song posted:

Tassadar scourged the surface of the planet to clear the Zerg infestation. He didn't completely blow up the planet.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Patter Song posted:

It's interesting how little Terran/Protoss tension there was in any of the campaigns in SC1. In the original Terran campaign there was the "the Protoss commander Tassadar blows up planets infested by the Zerg" tension, which did cause problems when the Zerg hit Terran-inhabited planets, leading to the mission where, after siccing the Zerg on the Terran Confederacy capital of Tarsonis, Mengsk orders you to keep the Protoss from blowing his new prize up. After that, there's one anti-Dominion mission in the Protoss campaign, but it's almost a sidenote, while at the same time Tassadar and Jim Raynor became best buds and Raynor basically becomes a wannabe Protoss, hanging out with Fenix and the rest of them.

In Brood War, Artanis has to punch through a UED blockade and the UED eventually has to assault Raynor and Fenix's ragtag faction, but both are kind of throwaway side missions. (The latter one is interesting because it's a Terran army vs a Protoss army with four different unaligned Zerg armies that could attack either side).

What I guess I'm saying is that I hope for more Terran vs Protoss. It's the rarest matchup of the six possible pairings (TvT, TvZ, TvP, PvZ, PvP, ZvZ) in the original game.

There are a lot of TvP maps in Wings of Liberty, probably more than the TvT but less than the TvZ.

When we do Smash and Grab we'll discover that there are some Protoss who are huge cocks and give no fucks that Jim Raynor is basically best buds for life with the leadership of the Protoss.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

InfinityComplex posted:

You mean the player? :v:
Well someone needs to keep them in line! :allears:
http://www.dorkly.com/video/17258/dorkly-bits-starcraft-scvs-go-on-strike

Anyway, I've played a bit of SC1, was really terrible at it, but I'm still interested in sequel so will be following. I have no idea what will happen story-wise, but that marine is going to betray you somehow. I just know it!

Voting stimpaks because drugs are never bad and evacuation 'cause firebats.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Disco Infiva posted:

I have no idea what will happen story-wise, but that marine is going to betray you somehow. I just know it!

We already know that Mengsk let him out from the intro movie, and he lied about it. If he's not selling the artifacts to Mengsk / The Dominion, he's definitely feeding them information.. Mengsk must be planning on using Raynor for something.

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.
Evacuating the colonists was tough enough on Hard (especially if you were going for the achievement), so I'll be very interested to see it on Brutal.

Also, get stim packs, because those + a sufficient number of medics are devastating.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

The_Frag_Man posted:

Mengsk must be planning on using Raynor for something.

And I bet that "something" is the reason for all those :argh: posts in the thread. I am now kinda interested in why. :v:
The only thing I saw of SC2 is a video of how Kerrigan is being left to the Zerg, presumably Raynors flashback.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

Disco Infiva posted:

And I bet that "something" is the reason for all those :argh: posts in the thread. I am now kinda interested in why. :v:
The only thing I saw of SC2 is a video of how Kerrigan is being left to the Zerg, presumably Raynors flashback.

Yes, there is a cinematic of that event from the original Starcraft at some point during SC2.

Raldan
Oct 21, 2010

HH Challenge Caster
(Pls no bm)
Voting Closed!

Results:

Stim: 30
Shields: 2
AMF: 2

The Evacuation: 21
Smash and Grab: 11

Quite the landslide victory for stimpacks.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.
Can't have proper marines without them hopping up.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Woooo, bio ball! Let's steamroll the game from here on out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

AradoBalanga posted:

Tassadar scourged the surface of the planet to clear the Zerg infestation. He didn't completely blow up the planet.

Fair enough. I just started playing through SC1 again (Probably will give up before long, mostly for old times' sake), and I just beat Terran mission 1.4 and got the text dump.

"Thirteen hours after the evacuation of Mar Sara, Protoss warships took up orbit around the colony and unleashed a massive planetary bombardment. All life upon the surface was extinguished."

Now, these events are at the very beginning of SC1, which, IIRC, puts it four years before the start of SC2. Apparently Mengsk is just really good at encouraging people to move back to dead planets for Mar Sara to be this populated already, but he already did the same "everyone move back to a ruined hellhole" once with Korhal itself, so I shouldn't be surprised.

• Locked thread