Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I think Skyrim was successful not because the marketing campaign was "man fights dragon in snow" but rather "you can be a goddamn Viking. And by the way check out how bitchin' these trees and mountains look. And you can mod in literally anything. And remember that one time when we made Morrowind."

Either way, teso is poo poo and watching it go down in flames is going to be hilarious.

edit: and holy poo poo that tweet. "we literally give no fucks about any of the lore. From now on we will do whatever the gently caress we want and say that anything previous was just a mistranslation. Owned, bitch."

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
http://michaelkirkbride.tumblr.com/post/76255235585/commencing-flyover-for-lorebomb-targets

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
i bet they blew up morrowind so that in a future game they can have it also be generic british countryside

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Hey I'm gonna' spitball more about the ESO that could/should have been. Okay? Okay.

All the legacy weapons are there, but only one of each. Either you have to do a brutal quest gauntlet to earn one of them, or you have to kill the current holder of one. If the holding player deletes the character/destroys it or just doesn't log for a given amount of time it resets to the quest dungeon. Also public records are kept as to who owns what and for how long.

A non-zero number of artifacts would require your dungeon-crawling team going battleroyale on each other at the last second on the whim of the daedra dude.

Sheogorath would do this too, except after teleporting everyone to shard-dimensions and pitting you all against mute-monsterfied versions of each other in a single elimination impromptu tournament.

There. A single feature that makes coherent use of unique items in a persistant online world that is ~1000000x cooler than anything ESO will have cooked up.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

GreatGreen posted:

I think Skyrim was successful not because the marketing campaign was "man fights dragon in snow" but rather "you can be a goddamn Viking. And by the way check out how bitching these trees and mountains look. And you can mod in literally anything. And remember that one time when we made Morrowind."

Either way, teso is poo poo and watching it go down in flames is going to be hilarious.

most of skyrims sales were on consoles so modding was not actually a big selling point. you are seriously underestimating how vacuously stupid gamers are

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Protagonist posted:

Also public records are kept as to who owns what and for how long.

Instead of this make it be you have to cast a mid range clairvoyance spell to figure it out, or pay a player or npc wizard like $5 to do it for you. It just says the area it's in or the name of who has it.

Then like a sneaktheif can use their black market connections to figure out the rumors of where this person is and you kill them and take it, or steal it, or just talk to them and convince them to hand it over.

or if like someone threw it in the ocean or w/e you can use some kind of detect enchantment poo poo to find it.

Look it's an achievable goal that doesn't include npc quest givers asking for 10 poached dickbutts in exchange for the next stage.
Also if you're a real badass you have to work to keep your poo poo together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

rainy day posted:

most of skyrims sales were on consoles so modding was not actually a big selling point. you are seriously underestimating how vacuously stupid gamers are

The Protagonist posted:

Hey I'm gonna' spitball more about the ESO that could/should have been. Okay? Okay.

All the legacy weapons are there, but only one of each. Either you have to do a brutal quest gauntlet to earn one of them, or you have to kill the current holder of one. If the holding player deletes the character/destroys it or just doesn't log for a given amount of time it resets to the quest dungeon. Also public records are kept as to who owns what and for how long.

A non-zero number of artifacts would require your dungeon-crawling team going battleroyale on each other at the last second on the whim of the daedra dude.

Sheogorath would do this too, except after teleporting everyone to shard-dimensions and pitting you all against mute-monsterfied versions of each other in a single elimination impromptu tournament.

There. A single feature that makes coherent use of unique items in a persistant online world that is ~1000000x cooler than anything ESO will have cooked up.

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Instead of this make it be you have to cast a mid range clairvoyance spell to figure it out, or pay a player or npc wizard like $5 to do it for you. It just says the area it's in or the name of who has it.

Then like a sneaktheif can use their black market connections to figure out the rumors of where this person is and you kill them and take it, or steal it, or just talk to them and convince them to hand it over.

or if like someone threw it in the ocean or w/e you can use some kind of detect enchantment poo poo to find it.

Look it's an achievable goal that doesn't include npc quest givers asking for 10 poached dickbutts in exchange for the next stage.
Also if you're a real badass you have to work to keep your poo poo together.

i don't think anyone has to guess rainy day, they're putting themselves right here

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
what man it's top teir ~content~ that's organically player driven

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

GOT A EXTRA TITTY posted:

i don't think anyone has to guess rainy day, they're putting themselves right here

still a better idea than ESO smartguy :colbert:

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

The Protagonist posted:

still a better idea than ESO smartguy :colbert:

The idea of powerful, unique artifacts that only temporarily favor their owners is probably a transcription error.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
im just sayin if you give players a good toolset they can make their own poo poo to do that will be 10,000x funner and better than your bullshit quests you worked so hard on

like how stories from eve online sound cool as gently caress
but in this hypothetical world the game would be good and fun to play as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SniperWoreConverse posted:

what man it's top teir ~content~ that's organically player driven

A special game instance in which the player can obtain and modify unique items, as well as permanently impact the world trough his interaction with NPCs. Clicking on its icon opens up Skyrim.exe.

This premium tier feature is available to all platinum edition (USD 200) owners.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you say it is better than GW2 oh boy do those guys seem to get angry.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

The Protagonist posted:

having guilds and poo poo fighting pvp wars over artifacts would be pretty baller and sounds like it could open up all sorts of EVE type sneakery

but this is eso of course and if its a good idea then it won't be in eso

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

so the word mer is there but theyre still dark elves

the real lore starts here

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

Yes. Good.

Gobblecoque posted:

having guilds and poo poo fighting pvp wars over artifacts would be pretty baller

I know right? I really just like the idea of a four or five man group knowing they have to cooperate long enough to get the goal in sight, but at some point they're all going to turn on eachother. :black101::tinfoil::ninja::tinfoil::ninja:

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

The idea of powerful, unique artifacts that only temporarily favor their owners is probably a transcription error.

Hahah goddamn if this whole thing isn't just the biggest corporate own of nerdiness ever.

I mean they could have lumped all the elves together and one group and the furries and orcs into another and it would have made more sense and been more consistent.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmDDkmTUtYc

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

Yes. Good.

I know right? I really just like the idea of a four or five man group knowing they have to cooperate long enough to get the goal in sight, but at some point they're all going to turn on eachother. :black101::tinfoil::ninja::tinfoil::ninja:

I mean they could have lumped all the elves together and one group and the furries and orcs into another and it would have made more sense and been more consistent.

The Protagonist reviews his latest excursion into his local furry orgy, these quotes and more later.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

these quotes and more later.
I've got a quote for ya <3

For the past year or so, I've typically been too anxious and depressed to post in GBS, and if I do post, I'll run away for a while afterward for fear of seeing my post(s) being mocked. It has been even worse since the inception of new GBS. I used to love to write and post things, esp. in threads that involve making fun of libertarians, but my confidence here, as in all domains of my life, is shot.

The only place I feel comfortable on SA is NMD, because I have pretty deep musical knowledge and an expansive record collection (one of my precious few escapes from the "gray drizzle of horror," the "storm of murk"*), but I don't even post there too often.

It took me 4mg of guanfacine (prescribed for ADD, but useful for anxiety) and two days of trepidatious over-analysis to finally make this flimsy, unfunny post in this thread but I think its worth it.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The Protagonist posted:

I've got a quote for ya <3

I don't think you get the internet

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Disco Infiva posted:

It would be funny if in a new TES game you can see Cyrodiil with glorious jungle overgrowth. But you can never go there since that's not where the game takes place.

meanwhile half the zones in vanilla wow were thick forests, in 2004, and every one had a different color palette and assets. they even had moonglade, which only druids ever went into (until they made a holiday once a year).

Corek fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Feb 11, 2014

Greenllama
Jun 10, 2013

I am a green llama capable of posting on SA forums. Please adopt me.
I'm still confused why we have this thread and the one in the MMO section.... they both have the same poo poo in them

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Corek posted:

seriously even today blizzard puts loads of work into the visual design of every zone, maybe even more than they did then

The thing about "realistic" game vegetation vs Blizzard-type stylized vegetation is that personally, I always liked WoW's forests way better than most other ones because each one felt more like one gigantic, complex room where the forest canopy was the ceiling and the trees were more like huge, far spread load bearing columns for the leaves above. When you went in the forests of WoW, You really felt totally enveloped in them unlike pretty much any other game I've ever played, due to the fact that the leaves above were so thick you couldn't even see the sky, and that there were none you could see all the way across, or anywhere close to all the way across, really.

Elder Scrolls forests on the other hand are really just the odd patch of trees here and there. Yeah yeah there's more polygons in a single branch in Skyrim than all the forests of WoW put together but so what? More people need to handle wooded areas like WoW.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Feb 11, 2014

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

The Protagonist posted:

Yes. Good.

Hahah goddamn if this whole thing isn't just the biggest corporate own of nerdiness ever.

Funny thing in TES, the Orcs are another kind of elf (and so arewere Dwarves)

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp
i like how they call altmer "high elves" 90% of the time because apparently calling them what they're called in every other game is too confusing for their target audience. MMO makers know their audience is dumber than a pile of bricks, that's why this kind of poo poo gets made.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

rainy day posted:

i like how they call altmer "high elves" 90% of the time because apparently calling them what they're called in every other game is too confusing for their target audience. MMO makers know their audience is dumber than a pile of bricks, that's why this kind of poo poo gets made.

uhh high elves would be the best elves to get drugs from whats an altmer?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

rainy day posted:

It's hilarious because "alt" means high, "dun" means dark and "bos" means wood in actual real earth languages but apparently this is too complex for THE CASUALS

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Piedmon Sama posted:

It's hilarious because "alt" means high, "dun" means dark and "bos" means wood in actual real earth languages but apparently this is too complex for THE CASUALS

Piedmon Sama posted:

Piedmon Sama posted:

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
what are these weird mexican words? just call them elves goddamnit

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

GreatGreen posted:

The thing about "realistic" game vegetation vs Blizzard-type stylized vegetation is that personally, I always liked WoW's forests way better than most other ones because each one felt more like one gigantic, complex room where the forest canopy was the ceiling and the trees were more like huge, far spread load bearing columns for the leaves above. When you went in the forests of WoW, You really felt totally enveloped in them unlike pretty much any other game I've ever played, due to the fact that the leaves above were so thick you couldn't even see the sky, and that there were none you could see all the way across, or anywhere close to all the way across, really.

Elder Scrolls forests on the other hand are really just the odd patch of trees here and there. Yeah yeah there's more polygons in a single branch in Skyrim than all the forests of WoW put together but so what? More people need to handle wooded areas like WoW.

exec think photorealism is a good replacement for art direction

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

The Protagonist posted:

there is a game that does this and when some dude with a bunch of artifacts became a borderline god, half the server set aside their factional disputes and started a holy war to de-god the fucker

my ~emergent gameplay~

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

It is sad because some good fantasy or really any cool fictional world should have some lore that is unclear because all we know about it is hearing things from different people who are all unreliable- The World of Darkness says in the good books that basically if you are running a Vampire game and own all of the Werewolf books that most people should have no idea if they exist and that those who do should get some things right and some things wrong.

I love being in tabletop games where two people tell you different versions of events because that is how people work in the real world and some games do this well also- Bioshock had those audio diaries where people recorded history in their own selfish worldview and that was really cool.

This however is just bullshit and bland.

rainy day
Jul 20, 2009

by Ralp

Rapdawg posted:

It is sad because some good fantasy or really any cool fictional world should have some lore that is unclear because all we know about it is hearing things from different people who are all unreliable- The World of Darkness says in the good books that basically if you are running a Vampire game and own all of the Werewolf books that most people should have no idea if they exist and that those who do should get some things right and some things wrong.

I love being in tabletop games where two people tell you different versions of events because that is how people work in the real world and some games do this well also- Bioshock had those audio diaries where people recorded history in their own selfish worldview and that was really cool.

This however is just bullshit and bland.

the actual elderscrolls games had some of this to, retconning cyrodil to be 1400s britain as envisioned by people who've never studied history or been to britain is not one of those examples though.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
indeed, it was more of a failure of respecting the audience, so they threw them in generic medieval europe for oblivion instead of a jungle.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
tbf, gamers are dumb as poo poo

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

well at least there's a thing that gives anyone else who takes over an excuse to reboot things "dragon break did it"

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

there is a game that does this and when some dude with a bunch of artifacts became a borderline god, half the server set aside their factional disputes and started a holy war to de-god the fucker

my ~emergent gameplay~

What game? 'Cus that sounds p sweet.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

The Droid posted:

well at least there's a thing that gives anyone else who takes over an excuse to reboot things "dragon break did it"

lol as if the teso team would have even the slightest idea what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freakbox
Dec 22, 2009

"And Tomorrow I can get Scared Another Day..."

Earwicker posted:

has there ever been a fun MMO that is not only a good game but one you can have fun playing for like a couple hours a week or so instead of living in it?

• Locked thread