Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What race should goons play for PvP shenanigans?
This poll is closed.
Furry Dominion 352 27.24%
Orc Covenant 464 35.91%
Lizard Pact 476 36.84%
Total: 1292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Rocketeer Korolev posted:

Now that I think of it, it's probably best this game has it's own launcher. Thinking back to Star Wars:TOR, that would suck if it needed Origin to launch.

You rarely need Steam to play the MMOGs published on it. Most either have a Steam and a non-Steam version (e.g. Marvel Heroes) where the Steam version skips the launcher entirely, or the Steam version simply runs the launcher. Regardless, you can almost always download the regular client and play the game through that, no matter where you purchased it from.

I think the problem is that Zenimax would be required to offer the subscription through Steam, so beyond the cut that Steam takes on every sale (smaller than retail, larger than GMG, Gamefly, etc), they would also take a cut on their monthly subscription income. To my knowledge, EVE and Darkfall are the only subscription-based MMOGs on Steam for this reason.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!
Question about builds.... I was gone for a bachelor party this weekend and didnt get to make a new char and test this out... I've been playing a standard bow nightblade but it is a bit vanilla. I was thinking of going a bow sorc with some instants and a 1h/shield secondary with defensive's and escapes when people close in(this is all for pvp btw). Anyone tried a similar build or an unconventional sorc and how did it go for you?

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Bishop01 posted:

Question about builds.... I was gone for a bachelor party this weekend and didnt get to make a new char and test this out... I've been playing a standard bow nightblade but it is a bit vanilla. I was thinking of going a bow sorc with some instants and a 1h/shield secondary with defensive's and escapes when people close in(this is all for pvp btw). Anyone tried a similar build or an unconventional sorc and how did it go for you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s29KvfHwYqk

Looking good.

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010
Bow Sorcs are completely viable, played one this weekend and was having fun. I didn't train any secondary weapon, but instead used the alternate slots as solo vs group skill sets. Coming from a bow/siphon nightblade I did feel there was a lack of heal at least early on (PVE) and that pushed me towards heavy armor for the hp regen bonus in addition to my orc regen bonus. This was my first foray into the class without really researching or looking at other's builds though, so I'm sure there are others here with better builds.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Orv posted:

If you want to play a Nightblade for rogue style burst, you have two options. You can play the Nightblade, and have a burst ready every 20 seconds or so (one rotation completely empties your mana and most of your stamina) or you can play a Sorcerer and be able to explode three or four people in a row. As for optimal racials for Nightblade you're not going to find anything wrong with any of the races. Getting down to min-max, your armor is going to be more important, considering that most of the "Stamina Regeneration X%" passives require you to be in combat, and you want to be in combat as little as possible as a Nightblade. If you really want to min-max race, there's nothing ostensibly wrong with being a cat, but I may be more prone to kick you from the guild for no reason. :v:

Chances of it being on Steam until it goes F2P are basically non-existent and after that remain extremely slim.

Look at the top of the OP. :ssh:

are sorcerers really just that much better for burst dps? are their mana pools just that much deeper than nightblade stamina pools? I certainly wouldn't be opposed to playing a sorcerer, that's typically what I played in other TES games, I'm just used to playing a rogue in MMO for all of the stealth-ganking goodness but if stealth is less important for a nightblade since everyone has sneak then...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Orv posted:

Do the math on Standard from ZOS versus Imperial from GMG. The Bretons and Imperials share the same model with slightly different skin tones and body morphics. If you buy either version from ZOS you get 5 days headstart, so if that's your main concern you should look into that.

Have to go with digital edition for this btw. According to the Zenimax store, you only get 3 days with the standard 'retail' edition.

OrbitalLaser
Oct 12, 2009

Colonial Air Force posted:

Yeah I did that once, it's a very slow process. 250G per apple and like 36 hours in between/

I mean eventually it'll be nice, but at that point, I can probably afford a horse on my meager adventurer's salary, right?

This is the way that all horses work. The cheap Imperial horse is equal to the horses you can buy for 17k gold normally. There are other horses for 42k with slightly higher stats, but all horses can be leveled up by feeding them. They can be fed once per 24 hour period, which might be reset based on when you bought the horse rather than when you fed it (when I fed it the second time, I could feed it again in 19 hours, versus 24 for feeding it the first time.)

All horses can go up to level 50. You can feed them to increase speed, stamina for extra sprinting, or carrying capacity which increases your inventory size. So you can generalize or specialize your horses with one for speed for PvP and carrying capacity for PvE. I can't remember if the second feeding cost more than the first, or if its the same each time.

OrbitalLaser fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Mar 17, 2014

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Being the resident poopsock level 34 bow sorcerer in the beta tests I can tell you that it's quite valuable to split abilities between stam and magicka. You'll want to slot a root like Encase because Nightblades and 2H users have long range teleports, and Dragonknights can spam their tractor beam every 5 seconds.

My usual "running away from people" combo was Encase -> Boundless Storm. Running away from people being useful because you don't want that that sword and board / dual wield / 2hander nerd beating on your face for more than half a second. I would also suggest running around with two setups since they give you two. One for dealing with melee players, and one for out damaging other ranged players. Potions are big, I usually carried around stacks of stamina potions.

Lets see if I can summarize my setup:

Setup 1 (All around world PvP build):
Weapon:
Bow

Skills:
1.) Poison Injection (Morph of Poison Arrow) - I would often switch off spamming this and the regular attack since it appeared to do quite a bit of burst DPS. The DoT it applies is nothing to sneeze at. Keep a Stamina potion nearby for spamming.
2.) Focused Aim (Morph of Snipe) - Quite useful to fire from stealth as an opener due to the high crit burst damage and buff to further ranged attacks. Fairly useless in direct combat due to the 3 second cast. I use it to plink far away targets like people standing on keeps or siege engine operators. Works amazing for support DPS if you can avoid the enemy's attention.
3.) Critical Surge (Morph of Surge) - Standard weapon damage increase, can be used from stealth and makes Focused Aim do all the more damage. Not to mention if you stack crit chance your crits heal you for 50% of the damage they deal. Pretty snazzy!
4.) Restraining Prison (Morph of Encase) - Bread and butter 5.5 second root to get people to stop chasing you or waste stamina on getting out of the root. If they waste stamina on getting out of the root they'll probably run out of stamina trying to chase you. Biggest counter to this would probably be a 2 handed nightblade as I believe their teleport uses magicka and the 2 hander charge uses stamina.
5.) Boundless Storm (Morph of Lightning Form) - Makes you speedy mcrunfast to quickly evade gank squads, pesky melee players, anti-stealth squads, etc.

Pretty excited to try out Bolt Escape as well. I will probably roll with a second weapon skill set that has Magnum Shot, Restraining Prison, Bolt Escape, Boundless Storm, and Rapid Maneuver while the first set will focus purely on dealing the highest burst damage possible.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Mar 17, 2014

Bishop01
Apr 27, 2007

Has you seen my bucket?!

Extra posted:

bow sorc stuff

oh my, ty, exactly what i was looking for, launch char confirmed now i guess haha, looks a lot of fun to play too

Bishop01 fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Mar 17, 2014

JimmyTurtle
Jun 20, 2010

The Tribbles Ate My Loot!

Nektu posted:

I'm planning on going to the EU server - apart from latency it sucks to always play during off-times due to timezone differences (especially once the inital rush wore off).

I'm going to the US server. If the latency is ok now it probably won't get worse, and Everyone Speaks English(tm), which I do too. On the other hand I don't speak 'Moin' or 'Kurwa'.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
:siren: If you want to calculate damage/healing on abilities in PvP in Cyrodiil using esohead weapon damage is scaled to 120, stamina is scaled to 1189, and magicka is scaled to 1189. Character level is scaled to 50. Spell damage is scaled to 80. These are all beta values and may change at launch so YMMV. :siren:

Note that if you are planning to PvP from 10-50 that you will need to beat the scaled amount to get an increase in stats in Cyrodiil.

EX: If you have +500 health on your gear outside of Cyrodiil it will not add on to your 17XX health unless you have over 17XX health.
EX: If you have 1800 health out of Cyrodiil you should have 1800 health inside Cyrodiil.
EX: If you have 1300 health out of Cyrodiil you will have 17XX health in Cyrodiil.

We have found the easiest "scale caps" to beat are critical hit chance, lower ability cost modifiers (ex: stamina abilities cost 10 less to use), and regeneration. Note that critical hit chance has only been found as a stat on weapons (one piece), reduced ability cost has only been found as a stat on jewelry (three pieces). It seems that regeneration is the way to go on armor (seven pieces) if you can get over the scaled caps. The lower the stat is scaled to in Cyrodiil the easier it will be for you to "beat it" and get an increase inside Cyrodiil.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 17, 2014

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Is there any information on combat mana regen for actual level 50 players? Using primarily only mana abilities doesn't let you last long when you only regen 50 something mana every 2 seconds for a boosted character. I feel like destructive staff should have some stamina abilities instead of mana requirements.

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
But still, peak hours on US servers are during the time where I'd really should be asleep. Work and social obligations would cry beautiful tears because of my sleep deprived attitude.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BadLlama posted:

Is there any information on combat mana regen for actual level 50 players? Using primarily only mana abilities doesn't let you last long when you only regen 50 something mana every 2 seconds for a boosted character. I feel like destructive staff should have some stamina abilities instead of mana requirements.

Stuff like Sorcerer's Dark Exchange/Conversion/Deal will be very useful as they convert Stamina to Health/Magicka. Dark Conversion IV for example restores 1200 Health and Magicka while channeling, but drains 12% Stamina per second over 3 seconds. You can also slot the Mage's Guild skill Spell Symmetry to trade Health for Magicka instantly. From what I can see you're going to want to stack quite a bit of magicka regen and/or max magicka on gear if you want to use destruction staffs and class abilities that use magicka. It's not like you can get spell damage on armor anyway. I would think Breton (3% reduced spell cost) combined with Light Armor (21% reduced spell cost will a full set) combined with Magicka Potions should yield some decent sustainability. Thankfully there are wineries dotted around Cyrodiil that sell potions for any level or you can do Cyrodiil dungeons for poitions scaled to your level. I would suggest running one weapon/skill set for magicka regen and one for damage dealing magicka spells.

tl;dr: It's not so much about pure regen as slotting the right abilities, gear, and passives. It would be pretty overpowered if you could just slot enough regen to be an infinite mana battery of death and pick 10 damage/CC skills over two destro staff weapon sets.

Cnaiur posted:

But still, peak hours on US servers are during the time where I'd really should be asleep. Work and social obligations would cry beautiful tears because of my sleep deprived attitude.

It annoys me quite a bit that I usually go to bed during peak hours and I'm not even EU.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 17, 2014

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

OrbitalLaser posted:

This is the way that all horses work. The cheap Imperial horse is equal to the horses you can buy for 17k gold normally. There are other horses for 42k with slightly higher stats, but all horses can be leveled up by feeding them. They can be fed once per 24 hour period, which might be reset based on when you bought the horse rather than when you fed it (when I fed it the second time, I could feed it again in 19 hours, versus 24 for feeding it the first time.)

All horses can go up to level 50. You can feed them to increase speed, stamina for extra sprinting, or carrying capacity which increases your inventory size. So you can generalize or specialize your horses with one for speed for PvP and carrying capacity for PvE. I can't remember if the second feeding cost more than the first, or if its the same each time.

Yeah I guess the question was really more "is that worth a $20 increase in cost for the game?"

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
On a scale of ten to trash how bad is this game?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Motherfucker posted:

If you include PVE + PVP it's a solid 7.5 DickButts. If you only factor in PVP than it's 11.999999 Raging Boners in your Butt.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Motherfucker posted:

Goku.

Rocketeer Korolev
Dec 22, 2008

Jealous? No? Go frak yourself, Smoothskin...

Motherfucker posted:

Somewhat less than World Of Warcraft poopsocking, but hopefully not a short-lived thrill ride like Star Wars:The Old Republic was. To me, at least. Just glad I didn't pay for more than 2 months of game time for that!

Okay, guys: recommend me a character race/class that would make a good mage, please.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Okay, guys: recommend me a character race/class that would make a good mage, please.

Breton Sorcerer.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!

Somewhat less than World Of Warcraft poopsocking, but hopefully not a short-lived thrill ride like Star Wars:The Old Republic was. To me, at least. Just glad I didn't pay for more than 2 months of game time for that!

Well, the traditional choice would be Breton or High Elf sorcerer, but that's boring. Do something weird!

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sorcerer is your best bet for a more 'magey' class, but you can use any race, weapon, or armor type and still feel 'magey.' I would just look at the skills and see what seems most fun to you. At the end of the day the bonuses are very small. An Orc Sorcerer isn't appreciably an worse Mage than a Breton sorcerer.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

A Templar (With light armor, staff etc) actually felt like more of a glass cannon mage archtype than any of the sorcerers trees to me.

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

BadLlama posted:

A Templar (With light armor, staff etc) actually felt like more of a glass cannon mage archtype than any of the sorcerers trees to me.

I see the glass in that build but not the cannon. Cookie cutter Sorcerer destro staff is Crushing Shock spam, cast instant Crystal Fragments any time the "any magicka cost spell" proc pops, and Endless Fury as a finisher. That gives you two slots for utility (Encase or a morph + Dark Exchange or morph) plus an ultimate. Templars can't CC chasing melee very well while wearing light armor.

I see Templars as being possibly anti-physical damage mages where you build a heavy armor sorcerer. Normally to heal yourself as a sorcerer you need to switch to a weapon set with a resto staff. Templars can just slot something like Ritual of Rebirth (self heal) combined with Spell Symmetry (mages guild skill that translates health into magicka) to keep up some nice Destruction Staff skill spamming.

Possible tankmage PvP build:

Race: Orc
Class: Templar
Weapon: Destruction Staff
Armor: Heavy
Active Skills:
1.) Crushing Shock (Bread and butter long range DPS spell)
2.) Weakness To Elements (Spell resistance debuff)
3.) Binding Javelin (3 Second 20 meter Knockback)
4.) Balance or Spell Symmetry (Trade Health for Magicka)
5.) Ritual of Rebirth (Healing spell that does 50% extra healing to self)
Ultimate: Solar Disturbance (Long range DoT with 40% enemy damage debuff, 60% snare)

If you wanted you could also slot Restoring Aura for the extra health regen instead of Binding Javelin especially since Crushing Shock will provide you with a snare. Restoring Aura's stamina regen will allow for much longer sprinting and CC countering against other classes.

The big advantage I see with heavy Magicka only builds is the ability to dedicate stamina purely to breaking Snare/Stun/Root effects and sprinting

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Mar 17, 2014

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

Extra posted:

Breton Sorcerer.

This or potentially a Breton Dragon Knight (fire magic)(unless they nerfed it after some of the beta videos/feedback).

jestest
Feb 12, 2014

Ancient Aliens: Closer Encounters

Sureal posted:

This or potentially a Breton Dragon Knight (fire magic)(unless they nerfed it after some of the beta videos/feedback).

Got a link to any of those vids? Is it just player saying they should get a nerf mallet, or someone on PTS saying they already got it?

Rancid Liverwurst
Jan 26, 2009

Llyd posted:

Has anyone done an :effort: post on leveling crafting yet ?

I've collected some information if y'all want it.

I'll be crafting something in this game. Not sure what I'll specialize in and how hard I'll hit it at launch on my main. Given that the bank space is shared by all characters kinda of blows for crafters. Looks like the crafters will be rolling some "bank" 'toons.

I'll keep an eye out for any crafting info out there.

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

If you want to go a more unique route, nightblade in light armor with a destruction staff can make for a cool Dark Mage / Necromancer build by focusing on the siphoning and shadow trees!

Sureal
Nov 12, 2010

jestest posted:

Got a link to any of those vids? Is it just player saying they should get a nerf mallet, or someone on PTS saying they already got it?

Beta video from earlier in the thread, not sure if this is still viable. Two high level DKs dualing at the end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMuP8UdChrw

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

G.I. Jaw posted:

If you want to go a more unique route, nightblade in light armor with a destruction staff can make for a cool Dark Mage / Necromancer build by focusing on the siphoning and shadow trees!

I wouldn't say Necromancer since no necromancy is involved, but yeah. I saw an interesting video about this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnKo1eMMHE

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH
Regarding being "magey", as a level 11 orc sorcerer in Cyrodiil I was basically tickling people with my spells that had been doing good damage in PvE. I know there are more viable ranged classes/builds considering the multiple occasions where one or two players reduced my health to zero in seconds but it's kind of lovely if just playing a sorc and using spells from all three trees plus a weapon ability is gimping yourself.

SWTOR of all MMOs did the PvP bolstering thing decently where high level characters had a utility advantage but low levels could still do respectable damage and present a threat.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

Cnaiur posted:

Yeah this is pretty much why I am going EU server, I went with a US server for FF14 because I had some friends there, which was okay the first month. But after that the place just got so deserted during the times I played.

So I hope there will at least be some presence on EU servers, since no one I know really committed to getting it yet. I don't care what alliance (explorer pack anyway, so I am flexible), I just wouldn't like to play the outnumbered one.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

DaitoX posted:

Yeah this is pretty much why I am going EU server, I went with a US server for FF14 because I had some friends there, which was okay the first month. But after that the place just got so deserted during the times I played.
Yea, this. Joining an NA goon guild just means never ever joining guild activities anyhow (unless they are nice enough to start in the morning or you can stay up until morning).

DaitoX posted:

So I hope there will at least be some presence on EU servers, since no one I know really committed to getting it yet. I don't care what alliance (explorer pack anyway, so I am flexible), I just wouldn't like to play the outnumbered one.
Heh, and which one will that be?

But I guess we need some kind of poll too...

G.I. Jaw
Mar 26, 2003

More cake, Mrs. Tuffington?

Nap Ghost

Liberatore posted:

I wouldn't say Necromancer since no necromancy is involved, but yeah. I saw an interesting video about this last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFnKo1eMMHE

Hey you can summon shades alright, let me have my dream character! :colbert:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I ran both a DK resto/destruction/light armor build and a DK sword and board/dual wield/heavy armor stealth build.

Both were viable. The ability to live longer from the DK line works pretty well. So does the control spells. Several times the AOE root held a keep.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I saw a few bonuses to sneak in the medium armor abilities, but do they have a sound value for each armor type? So, for example, if I wear heavy armor I will naturally sneak worse than in medium armor or light armor because of the armor alone, assuming I have no skills for any of them?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If you don't have a passive, you don't have a bonus for medium armor, so they would each be equally as stealthy.

Just choose armor based on mana, endurance, or health. They are pretty much split based off of that.

If you want to be even more stealthy, do medium, but most of the activities we did this may not be that useful.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Third World Reggin posted:

If you don't have a passive, you don't have a bonus for medium armor, so they would each be equally as stealthy.

Just choose armor based on mana, endurance, or health. They are pretty much split based off of that.

If you want to be even more stealthy, do medium, but most of the activities we did this may not be that useful.

Does the medium armor critical for melee attacks apply to the nightblade spells? I kind of assumed the obvious ones would count as melee including impale even though it was morphed to ranged from a melee ability. I'm torn between going light armor for the huge reduction in mana costs of spells and medium for the stealth and crit.

I don't know why I'm so hellbent on playing a nightblade when it seems like the other classes get better abilities.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

One of the cool things about bow sorc is that you get a lot of spells that have a delayed damage effect. So you stack them up then they all process at once for 60-80% of someone's health. If anyone played Ultima Online its a lot like explosion>energy bolt>halberd hit.
This game actually feels a lot like ultima to me, ttk is low, burst is high, but healing is good to compensate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If anyone knows where to find the formulas on mitigation due to armor and spell resistance that would be appreciated.

• Locked thread