Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The XII team agreed, which is why it's gone from the International version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I can't prove it for sure, but I'm convinced that three of the four chests that screw up the Zodiac Spear were actually glitched. Like they weren't meant to do that but they accidentally got the flag or something. Considering the Necrohol's chest layout is replicated on the beach, that one seems like the only one that was actually intended to have the possibility of messing with the spear.

I dunno, that makes sense to me at least. If it was the case, then that would explain why it seems so arbitrary and impossible to decipher without a guide.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
Maybe we'll get FFXII HD, not that it would need much polishing. It looked pretty drat good already.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

I can't prove it for sure, but I'm convinced that three of the four chests that screw up the Zodiac Spear were actually glitched. Like they weren't meant to do that but they accidentally got the flag or something. Considering the Necrohol's chest layout is replicated on the beach, that one seems like the only one that was actually intended to have the possibility of messing with the spear.

I dunno, that makes sense to me at least. If it was the case, then that would explain why it seems so arbitrary and impossible to decipher without a guide.

It's something to do with math, since there is a "legit" way to make the Spear show up, in the Henne Mines I think. You have to do a bunch of spergy poo poo to manipulate the RNG into spawning it.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Mr. Maltose posted:

Speaking of FFXII, would anyone like me to transcribe the post-mortem of FFXII from the August 2007 edition of Game Developer Magazine? It's probably as good of an insight as we ever got form its troubled development. Assuming its within site rules to do such a thing, it wouldn't be much trouble for me to write it up.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Sunning posted:

Speaking of FFXII, would anyone like me to transcribe the post-mortem of FFXII from the August 2007 edition of Game Developer Magazine? It's probably as good of an insight as we ever got form its troubled development. Assuming its within site rules to do such a thing, it wouldn't be much trouble for me to write it up.

Oh yes, I'd love to read that, actually.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sunning posted:

Completely within site rules. poo poo, you could just scan it if you have the option. Not like posting articles from 7 year old issues of game magazines is high theft.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Excels posted:

It's something to do with math, since there is a "legit" way to make the Spear show up, in the Henne Mines I think. You have to do a bunch of spergy poo poo to manipulate the RNG into spawning it.

iirc it was a chest that had a 10% chance to spawn with a 10% chance of it being a weapon (instead of a knot of rust) that had a 10% chance of being the Zodiac Spear. I don't remember if you needed that accessory that changed the contents of chests to have it spawn or not.

There's also an invisible bow in the IZJS version. It spawns randomly in an invisible chest on one of the airship routes with similar ridiculous odds.

What I'm really saying here is gently caress RNG related ultimate weapons as much as lovely minigame ultimate weapons. I cheated my way through dodging lightning bolts and capturing 10 rare assholes in the shitstain caverns last time because doing that one in your life is plenty enough.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Excels posted:

Maybe we'll get FFXII HD, not that it would need much polishing. It looked pretty drat good already.

I'd much rather they do FFV-IX in HD, on the graphical level of "FFX HD", than I would FFXII. XII is really the only FF game that I didn't like on any level or capacity. I didn't even finish it- I got about halfway through and quit. The combat feels so run-of-the-mill "Forgettable PS2 JRPG the Third", the setting is bland, the characters disinteresting, and the story line is nothing more than a political shitstorm.

I also readily accept I am literally the only one on this Earth who feels this way. And that's okay too.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Mar 26, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

GreatRedSpirit posted:

iirc it was a chest that had a 10% chance to spawn with a 10% chance of it being a weapon (instead of a knot of rust) that had a 10% chance of being the Zodiac Spear. I don't remember if you needed that accessory that changed the contents of chests to have it spawn or not.

10% chance to spawn, 10% chance to be an item instead of gil, and 10% chance to be the Z-Spear instead of a Knot. So almost. :)

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I always see people ranting against the chocobo race, but I only remember the lightning being god awful. I think one time I got hit in the high hundreds and threw my controller at the wall, cursing.

I found a place where I dodged back into a rock or walk, muted the tv, and closed my eyes. Found that going by the flash through my lids was the best way...

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Excels posted:

It looks incredible on an emulator with the resolution cranked up.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Captain Mog posted:

I'd much rather they do FFV-IX in HD, on the graphical level of "FFX HD", than I would FFXII. XII is really the only FF game that I didn't like on any level or capacity. I didn't even finish it- I got about halfway through and quit. The combat feels so run-of-the-mill "Forgettable PS2 JRPG the Third", the setting is bland, the characters disinteresting, and the story line is nothing more than a political shitstorm.

I also readily accept I am literally the only one on this Earth who feels this way. And that's okay too.
I rented it from the library a few times and I agree with you. It's certainly not a bad game but I didn't enjoy nearly as much as X for the same reasons that you did. Also, it was really tedious how it took forever to get from one place to another and how you couldn't just buy the teleporter stones.

How's Final Fantasy IX? I bought VII and VIII from the PSN store 4 years ago but I couldn't get into them.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 26, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Captain Mog posted:

No, FFXII is a pretty controversial game. It got good reviews but opinions on it are very love it/hate it.

That said, it would take infinitely more work to remake FFV-IX than it would to just do an HD port of FFXII.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
It'd be great to get a legit Zodiac Job system outside of Japan, and I'd love it if there could be some texture improvements (Vaan's godawful abs, everyone's scleras being flesh colored), but...if they just translated ZJS and threw it on PSN as a PS2 game I could play on the PS3, I'd buy it.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Celery Face posted:

I rented it from the library a few times and I agree with you. It's certainly not a bad game but I didn't enjoy nearly as much as X for the same reasons that you did. Also, it was really tedious how it took forever to get from one place to another and how you couldn't just buy the teleporter stones.

How's Final Fantasy IX? I bought VII and VIII from the PSN store 4 years ago but I couldn't get into them.

IX is my favourite one of the whole series. It's a medieval/fantasy setting instead of the future-ish sci-fi of VII and VIII, the music is great, and I think the character development is beyond both VII and VIII. Plus, characters are in fixed jobs and aren't just interchangeable, which I like. Some people complain about the battle system being slow, but I've never honestly had a problem with it.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

morallyobjected posted:

IX is my favourite one of the whole series. It's a medieval/fantasy setting instead of the future-ish sci-fi of VII and VIII, the music is great, and I think the character development is beyond both VII and VIII. Plus, characters are in fixed jobs and aren't just interchangeable, which I like. Some people complain about the battle system being slow, but I've never honestly had a problem with it.
Great, it looks more fun than the previous two. I'll ask for it for my birthday.

What the hell is going on? I can't get back into the trials at the Besaid Temple and I haven't got the destruction sphere from it. Some guy keeps telling me that a summoner is inside or whatever.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 26, 2014

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
The ATB in IX fills about the same speed as in the SNES games, maybe a little faster (still WAY slower than VII). If you could stand the speed in the older games, you won't have a problem.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Pneub posted:

The ATB in IX fills about the same speed as in the SNES games, maybe a little faster (still WAY slower than VII). If you could stand the speed in the older games, you won't have a problem.

Also Auto-Haste is an ability and it helps a lot.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Celery Face posted:

Great, it looks more fun than the previous two. I'll ask for it for my birthday.

What the hell is going on? I can't get back into the trials at the Besaid Temple and I haven't got the destruction sphere from it. Some guy keeps telling me that a summoner is inside or whatever.

Oh yeah, I think you can't get back inside the Cloister of Trials until a certain point so you're a little hosed if you miss anything.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

TARDISman posted:

Oh yeah, I think you can't get back inside the Cloister of Trials until a certain point so you're a little hosed if you miss anything.
gently caress. I hope Dark Valefor isn't too hard.

Edit: Never mind, gonna start over. I'm only at the Thunder Plains so it's gonna be easier to just do that. Especially since I know what to do now.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Mar 26, 2014

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
FFX Spoiler, Luca Ahhhhhhhhhhh what the gently caress is this giant blinking worm thing? I have to fight that at some point, don't I?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Capsaicin posted:

FFX Spoiler, Luca Ahhhhhhhhhhh what the gently caress is this giant blinking worm thing? I have to fight that at some point, don't I?

In a manner of speaking, yes.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

Pneub posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, my issue wasn't the battle speed so much as the loading times involved entering the battles.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quinctia posted:

If I'm remembering correctly, my issue wasn't the battle speed so much as the loading times involved entering the battles.
Was your disc scratched? There were load times like every PS1 game but they weren't any worse than 8 or 7.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Which is why nowadays you should just emulate FF9 and hold the speedup button for battles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Quinctia posted:

Yeah it's literally ~10 seconds per random battle, which just completely kills any momentum to replay that game for me.

edit: Yes, they were much worse than 7 or 8. It's been mentioned many times by many people that the load times for FF9's battle (including all the zooming around, etc) are significantly the longest in the PSX trilogy. I own all 3 on PSN and it is definitely true.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The Final Fantasy XII Post Mortem

Table of Contents Description:

The twelfth installment in Square Enix’s wildly popular series was developed in a fashion quite unlike the others. No one on the team had worked on a major Final Fantasy title before, and most had been accustomed to mid-sized projects, not massive ones. General manager of R&D Taku Murata focuses more on what went wrong in this ingenuous postmortem

Main Article:

Game Data

Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix
Platform: PlayStation 2
Release Date: October 31, 2006
Software Used: Autodesk Maya, Softimage XSI, OPTPiX iMageStudio
Monsters: 250
Bosses: 30
NPCs: 1,000

Note: This is narrated by Taku Murata, the general manager of research and development for Square-Enix and the Programming Supervisor for FFXII.

The Final Fantasy Franchise is one of the core brands in the Square Enix lineup. When we set forth to develop the twelfth installment, there were three titles that could be considered its immediate predecessor: Final Fantasy IX, X, and XI, all of which were announced simultaneously at a press event held in January 2000.

Each of these three games represented a new chapter in game development for the franchise. One was the last Final Fantasy for the PlayStation. One was the first Final Fantasy for the PlayStation 2. And the last was Square-Enix’s first network game, which would become the core of the PlayOnline network service. Around the time we started developing Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy X got a sequel in Final Fantasy X-2, and the team for that title remained the same. Also, the service for Final Fantasy XI garnered far greater success than we had expected, so that team kept working as well.

Since Final Fantasy X and XI were being developed, the teams that had been working on Final Fantasy Tactics or Vagrant Story came together to create Final Fantasy XII, introducing a third Final Fantasy console and PC team.

The individuals on this team (myself included) had previous experience developing action/real-time-based battle systems for games, which creates a connection between the fields and battles. We decided to make use of our prior knowledge and integrate an action/real-time-based battle system into the Final Fantasy franchise, which was a significant challenge. The previous releases of Final Fantasy used a random encounter-based battle system.

Thus began the development for this project. We would soon face various complications that were completely beyond the scope of our imaginations. The entire process was a tremendous learning experience.

What Went Right

1.) UNIQUE AND FRESH DEVELOPMENT TEAM.

While it’s true that we had to create a third development team for the Final Fantasy franchise, in reality, all the teams were already evolving, and they rarely comprised the same people. Still, this new team was unique from the others in that our team culture had been defined and established through our previous and varied work experiences. Many of the staff members had never been a part of a project the size of a Final Fantasy game before in terms of financial resources, time, and staff.

Having new blood is something that “went right” because the team was able to look at the development process with new eyes and thus use new techniques that I will divulge throughout this article.

2.) IN-HOUSE TOOLS

Using in-house tools was the theme of a talk I gave at the 2007 Game Developers Conference. Our various in-house authoring tools, coupled with commercial digital content creation tools, such as Photoshop, Maya, and Softimage XSI, created an environment in which we could use trial-and-error tactics with the new tools while also increasing productivity by using the ones we already knew well.

It was especially helpful for us that the in-house tools enabled real-time previews using the game’s rendering engine. Due to the overwhelmingly positive experiences developing Final Fantasy XII, our company started to strategically incorporate tools in other development processes company-wide.

3.) DATA MANAGEMENT

The management of data from an immense number of resources—especially the progression from in-house order placement to completion—was an important part of the development process. To monitor the data, we prepared a web site solely for the project where we could collect information, systemize the overall development process, and ultimately make management as smooth as possible.

On past projects smaller than medium-sized, we had addressed data management concerns by throwing manpower at them. For Final Fantasy XII, however, we developed a tool that allowed users to perform constant status checks, including a check on the progress of closely related divisions.

Everyone who had been familiar with the management of medium-sized projects was grateful for a tool that could simply regulate communication more effectively. Nowadays, basic software configuration management systems can ease the pains of data management, but at the time we were pleased with our ability to come up with an original in-house tool.

4.) THE DELEGATION OF AUTHORITY AND PLACEMENT OF HUMAN RESOURCES

The Final Fantasy franchise has given Square-Enix the opportunity to discover human resources on a large scale. All too often in large-scale projects, those in leading positions are plagued by blind spots, which could easily become bottlenecks.

To avoid this problem, several staff members were given different positions of authority that required them to not only perform to the best of their particular skills, but also go above and beyond the call of duty in a number of new positions and duties. Many staff members emerged as top players during this experience and ultimately moved forward in their careers. Another advantage of large-scale projects is that the staff members’ personal network becomes larger, and because more people enter the director’s field of vision, people can expand their skills to different areas. As a result, our status as “third team” became more stable, and the developers—the majority of whom are graphics designers—improved their skills dramatically.

5.) STABILIZING THE GAME SYSTEM AT AN EARLY STAGE

The programmers made it their priority to stabilize the basic game system at an early stage of development. Q/A started play testing at an early stage as well, partly due to the fact that a playable ROM had to be exhibited at E3 2004. Moreover, a stabilization of the overall game system was secured early on by strictly maintaining the policy of removing any itemized reactions from the system toward minute specifications, something that commonly occurred in previous projects.

For the Q/A team, a stable game system meant that they could focus more on play testing and that all their work was relevant.

WHAT WENT WRONG

Looking back at the development process of Final Fantasy XII, the problems that I am aware of can be roughly divided into two groups: scheduling and over-ambitiousness. First, we should have realized sooner than we did (like when it became evident in our schedule management) that the project would exceed our forecasted scale. Second, several elements of the project had gotten out of control; the number of ideas to implement had grown, but resources and communication had not.

At the risk of making this article somewhat lopsided, I would like to place my focus on “what went wrong” instead of “what went right” because the process of overcoming the “wrongs” was vital for me as general manager of the research and development division.

As in life, in game development one learns more by going through rough times than times that pass without much conflict. Working through the difficult times essentially provided a core element in launching the R&D division. And through these lessons, we actually created a new structure within our company.

1.) UNPREDICTABILITY

One of the major challenges in developing Final Fantasy XII was integrating our new action/real-time-based battling system. It raised the level of difficulty for development exponentially.

Within the company, we already had capability and experience developing both action/real-time-based battling systems and traditional Final Fantasy titles. But when the new team attempted to blend these two elements, they already had a preconceived notion of their own formula for success. At the same time, each team member had his or her own image of the Final Fantasy
franchise. What we should have done was take these notions into account and create a test model and prototype in order to assess the risks and consequences. What ultimately stood before us was an unpredictable outcome in too many areas.

We couldn't decide where to split the workload within related divisions or how partial alterations to the game would affect existing standards. As a result, the staff found themselves in a state of endless debate and adjustments. Their doubts directly affected the development schedule, which had a serious effect on the overall development and caused delays in everything from the determination of specs, to snap decisions within production, to the game’s balance, to the formation of a Q/A team.

2.) INNER PRESSURE OF DEVELOPMENT POWER

The internal pressure we all felt in our work environment at the time was comparable to a pressure cooker filled to the brim and set on high. This is a problem that Square-Enix as an entity was destined to encounter, and it was especially prominent in the development of graphic resources.

By constantly reinventing itself, Square-Enix has heightened the skills and motivation of its staff. The company has achieved world-class standing in its visuals and audio. Moreover, the number of those involved in development is immense, and the amount of ideas, techniques, and resources they create is massive.

During the development of Final Fantasy XII, the pressure to succeed was at such a high point that we were on the brink of losing control during even the slightest misunderstanding. What happened was our team was given the freedom to make changes at various stages of development, but the adverse affect of this freedom was miscommunication, confusion, and disorder. How work was to be distributed was also often ambiguous, which contributed to the problem.

3.) LATENCY

Using in-house tools allowed the artists to use trial and-error techniques in graphics pre-visualization, but it did not eliminate all the problems in the development environment.

Because the build process took so long and latency issues were so extreme, the content pipeline became long, and at times we were in a situation in which we had to limit the trial-and-error period on the design side. We couldn't afford any mistakes in order placement, and we couldn't try out a new idea just for fun, which affected the detailed elements that go into game design.

Since then, the system has already been improved via a reconstruction of the content pipeline and support from a distributed build environment, but it was a huge obstacle while we were working on Final Fantasy XII.

4.) SAME OLD THING

Since I had developed a mid-sized project prior to joining the Final Fantasy XII team, I initially planned to use the same methods that I already knew. As a team, and as an individual, I felt that we could get through the project with this formula. The fact is I had become too dependent on human communication.

Considering the scope that Final Fantasy XII was aiming for, we needed a more systematic form of communication for data management issues. Luckily, we realized that there’s a communication breakdown that is born from such an inadequate system. As the development team expanded, we renewed our method of large-scale data management, and the communication problem was solved before it could cause great harm. The fact that we altered our style according to the change in scale—in effect, throwing away the traditional ways and establishing a system to manage a large amount of data—was what enabled us to succeed.

5.) THE DIFFICULTY OF Q/A

As I mentioned in the “What Went Right” section, we were able to stabilize the system at an early stage. However, toward the end of development, the Q/A team faced huge difficulties. Usually, because of its complexity and volume, the debugging and testing phase is organized with extreme care for a Final Fantasy game. However, for this project, the system’s stability caused a slack in the predictions.

We miscalculated how long it would take to accommodate the exponential rise in volume from a game designed with an action/real-time battling system. Even with prior experience under our belts on the game Vagrant Story (which used a similar battle system), we still had no idea what to expect with Final Fantasy XII.

Furthermore, internal pressure in the development team caused more two problems. First, the team became obsessed with corrections and revisions. The revisions created unforeseen bugs leaving the Q/A team to struggle between whether they should meet quality demands or the schedule.

The second problem was adjusting the difficulty level. The initial adjustments from the development side showed that some areas were too difficult for the Final Fantasy franchise, which attracts many casual players. We collected and analyzed the play-testers’ first impressions in order to readjust the game balance. But in the final stages, we didn't have enough time for debugging. Our stress multiplied when we remembered that we couldn't hire more Q/A testers since it was close to the end of the fiscal year. The only reason we got through those tough times was because of the Q/A team’s persistent efforts.

THE SURPRISING WATER

The final stages of Final Fantasy XII’s development were a series of battles against the pressure from within. Actually, in order to write this article, we assembled all the key players together for a post-mortem meeting. There, game design director Hiroyuki Itoh shared the following story.

In order to release his development team from the state of inflation that it had fallen into, Itoh told the planners under him to cease working on the quests that were lagging in production. He told them to throw it all away, even though the team was approaching the end of the scheduled development process. Of course, he was able to initiate this sort of shock treatment because he knew that there were enough completed quests at this point for the game to be complete, and he also knew which parts were burdening the staff.

Itoh confided that he had doubts until the last minute about telling the team that it simply could not use all its resources, telling the staff to lighten their load. In Japan, game projects are generally very heavily planned on the front-end of the project, and we rarely cut features at the end.

In Japanese food culture, when boiling beans, the cook pours cold water called “surprising water” into the pot right before the boiling is complete. It is said that by decreasing the temperature of the water for a moment, a sort of resistance develops when one eats it. The bold direction to throw everything away had a similar effect on the staff members, and created an important turning point in preparation for the closing of development.

Of course, not all units could have taken such drastic measures. For example, the map production team was able to make a soft landing with the direction to add the final touches. Nevertheless, the danger presented by the pressure of development could only have been avoided by human response. How we will improve this condition is a major challenge that we must address in the future. And when we are finally able to control this existing energy, we will finally be able to reach next-generation development.

EDUCATIONAL EXPERIENCE

At the time of this writing, more than 5 million units of Final Fantasy XII have shipped globally. All the team members take
pride in the fact that they were able to overcome such insurmountable odds and produce a top-selling game. They’re proud to have taken the Final Fantasy franchise to a new level by utilizing gameplay mechanics that were untouched until now.

I believe that the success we saw with this unique team was possible because we enforced a different work culture than had been seen previously in the company.

Currently, I hold a top position in Square-Enix’s research and development division. This division was created for the future expansion and complexity of our content, as well as to concentrate on the development of a technology platform and the fundamental technology to provide a fun gaming experience. The fact that I was able to take part in the development of a large-scale game like Final Fantasy XII has been very helpful in the operation of the organization and in deciding the direction that it will take.

Captions below important images:

Taku Murata is general manager of research and development for Square-Enix Co., Ltd. He was supervisor for Final Fantasy XII, and was instrumental in the development of the company’s PlayOnline network service. Send comments about this article to editors@gdmag.com

(Caption below picture of nine development team members and no, it doesn't feature Yasumi Matsuno as 'Sir-not-appearing-in-this-post-mortem):

The FINAL FANTASY XII key developers: back row, from left to right: Takashi Katano, main system and event programmer, Jun Akiyama, event director, Hiroshi Minagawa, director of visual design, Kazuhiro Kataoka, lead map system designer, and Hiroyuki Itoh, director of game design. Front row, from left to right: Yoshinori Tsuchida, real-time rendering programmer, Akihiko Yoshida, main character design, Taku Murata, supervisor, and Hiroaki Kato, project manager.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

I really like that he basically said "Yeah everyone who worked on the other FF games was busy so we slapped together the Tactics and Vagrant Story teams." Kinda explains Ivalice being the setting.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.

Endorph posted:

Was your disc scratched? There were load times like every PS1 game but they weren't any worse than 8 or 7.

Nah, my games stay pretty pristine. It was irrelevant anyway, because the last time I was playing was off a memory stick in the psp. The other couple PS1 titles I've played that way, including FF7, weren't quite as bad. Plus, the intro animation for 9's battles is a bit excessive.

Don't get me wrong, it's nowhere near as bad as the lag on the PS1 ports of the SNES games, and it never kept me from enjoying the game a lot, but it's definitely a noticeable thing.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
How long does a Calm last? This is something that's always bugged me and now that I'm playing through FFXHD, it's bothering me again. Given the story context clues, I'm assuming anywhere between a month to a year, if that.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

How long does a Calm last? This is something that's always bugged me and now that I'm playing through FFXHD, it's bothering me again. Given the story context clues, I'm assuming anywhere between a month to a year, if that.

I think it's somewhere around six months to a year,they probably mention it in an Ultimania.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Celery Face posted:

gently caress. I hope Dark Valefor isn't too hard.

Edit: Never mind, gonna start over. I'm only at the Thunder Plains so it's gonna be easier to just do that. Especially since I know what to do now.

You, uh, you do know you're basically at the point where you CAN go back and redo stuff, right? You don't need to wait 'til after Dark Valefor. Like immediately after your next boss is the best time to do it since you can collect everything at once.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Ok so I started playing FFX HD and I made sure to get the Besaid Destruction Sphere's treasure. That's the thing I need to do if I want to get the postgame super dick bosses, right? Is there a list of things that are missable and that I should keep an eye on? I know that you need to find this thing after fighting some boss called Yunalesca to get Tidus's best weapon and that is missable, but are there more things?

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

You, uh, you do know you're basically at the point where you CAN go back and redo stuff, right? You don't need to wait 'til after Dark Valefor. Like immediately after your next boss is the best time to do it since you can collect everything at once.
So the monk guy will let you into the trials after you beat the next boss? Which boss are you talking about, because I'm just at the part where the party leaves Rin's hotel.

Ah, it looks like you need to fight Dark Valefor if you miss Besaid's destruction sphere. Whatever, I'll just have the money aeon take care of her.

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 26, 2014

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Calaveron posted:

Ok so I started playing FFX HD and I made sure to get the Besaid Destruction Sphere's treasure. That's the thing I need to do if I want to get the postgame super dick bosses, right? Is there a list of things that are missable and that I should keep an eye on? I know that you need to find this thing after fighting some boss called Yunalesca to get Tidus's best weapon and that is missable, but are there more things?

See, the thing is with the Destruction Sphere, is that it is behind an unavoidable postgame superboss that you have to beat if you want to get the best summon, which would probably be pretty helpful in getting some of the things you'd need to reasonably take on the postgame superbosses. (The fourth temple, as I recall, is also subject to this nonsense.)

Also in this are Valefor's second Overdrive (head back to Besaid and some kid with a dog has a thing that makes Valefor's Overdrive more gooder) and the Macguffins that get you Auron's better Overdrives, where if you really want them you can backtrack from the dungeon where you get the first one alllllll the way to Besaid and pick up 9 of the 10 on the way (the last one is later in the game.)

Other than that I can't think of anything so have fun or something

Systematic System
Jun 17, 2012
There's a very short list of things which are truly missable, which mostly comes down to Al Bhed Primers in a certain area of the game (desert world!) where you can't backtrack screens and you can never return to the area). The Destruction Sphere Treasures are needed to unlock a powerful optional Aeon which eases the beginning of the post-game, and trivializes the end-game, but it certainly isn't required. The item in Yunalesca's area is for a superweapon, which is, again, nice to have, but isn't required. If you don't get the items before the optional bosses appear, you will need to beat them first though.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Captain Mog posted:

A lot of people think Braska's calm lasted ten years but it would contradict a lot of things and create a very rushed timeline. For example, Chappu's death, Lulu's pilgrimage with Ginnem, Lulu/Wakka's pilgrimage with Zeke, and Yuna's speech about the calm being worth it. You also have the issue of unsent Auron using Sin to enter dream Zanarkand ten years ago in order to raise Tidus.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mr. Maltose posted:

Didn't the international version add the invisible chest with a 1% chance of appearing, and there's a 1% chance of some ultra deathbow (with no model) being inside the chest?

Because that's far more bullshit than the Zodiac Spear. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Calaveron posted:

The Sphere treasures are to get Yuna's last summon, and apparently the only one you want to be sure not to miss is the Macalania one, since you'd have to fight Dark Shiva to get it. You have to fight Dark Valefore if you go back to Besaid, but he's apparently a pushover (relatively speaking).