Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Well this at least finally gives me an excuse to play Dark Souls so I'm pretty happy with the news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Hobo Siege posted:

There's already a Symphony of the Night 2. Two of them, even. Both the Soma Cruz games are great, just a shame the music couldn't be as stunning.

They are indeed great games, and maybe the only games ever I have 100%-ed.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

1stGear posted:

How long before Microsoft just starts repackaging Xbox 360's in Bone cases?

Start? :crossarms:

Bloody Wanker
Dec 31, 2008
you can add:

"Elite:Dangerous (PC) - Frontier Developments"

as confirmed game for e3.

And if you are a Elite fan, live in the US and very lucky, you can tag along for free, hang out with the devs and help promote Elite at e3: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=388559

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance
Right now I'm wondering just how awesome the new Zelda and Smash Bros. for Wii U will have to be in order for me to justify buying a used or refurbished Wii U just so I can play them. Other than the new Zelda and Smash Bros. there is nothing else at E3 that really excites me. Sometimes I get the feeling the video game industry is heading towards another crash. Honestly I feel like it needs to crash because that's the only way it will evolve. Indie games will probably still be a thing but I wonder if the era of the over-budget AAA game is coming to an end.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Just wait for Destiny to come out and we'll probably see some kind of shake up happen cause :lol: half a billion dollar to make a video game nice one

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
From the ashes of the video game crash of 2015, one company emerges to take back the crown of video game domination:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn46PZY-JVc

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

Sunset Overdrive, which looks like a bland Dead Rising in a really colorful candy shell, whose developers promise constantly updated "pop culture-relevant content like memes"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMnjoqr5glk

All this really does is make me miss prototype.

Hotline miami 2 is the only e3 game that will matter.

spasticColon
Sep 22, 2004

In loving memory of Donald Pleasance

Dr. VooDoo posted:

Just wait for Destiny to come out and we'll probably see some kind of shake up happen cause :lol: half a billion dollar to make a video game nice one

I read about that a few days ago and I was like "What the gently caress? They spent half a billion making a loving video game?" :psyduck:

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

spasticColon posted:

I read about that a few days ago and I was like "What the gently caress? They spent half a billion making a loving video game?" :psyduck:

This is great news, SEGA will no longer be known as having the worst planned budget for a game ever. I'm sure I read somewhere that Shenmue required every dreamcast owner to have purchased 2 copies of the game in order to start making a profit.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Ryoga posted:

This is great news, SEGA will no longer be known as having the worst planned budget for a game ever. I'm sure I read somewhere that Shenmue required every dreamcast owner to have purchased 2 copies of the game in order to start making a profit.

I did my part. "I love these," I said as I bought copy after copy.

"What? This again?"

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Nothing of note is going to be shown off here except for the Smash Bros information, true fact

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Dr. VooDoo posted:

I remember watching the Grand Theft Auto 5 trailers and thinking, "that game looks incredible and a must own, but I could absolutely see how it cost $250 million to make." When I watch the Destiny gameplay videos it just looks like a shooter from the makers of Halo... How could the budget be twice what GTAV cost? Also I'm just waiting till we see articles saying Destiny sells 10 million copies and is still a flop.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich
So, to all of you just scoffing at E3 and saying that nothing worthwhile will be shown, do you not know about Project Beast, or have the Souls games all shifted and become lame?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Faltese Malkin posted:

I remember watching the Grand Theft Auto 5 trailers and thinking, "that game looks incredible and a must own, but I could absolutely see how it cost $250 million to make." When I watch the Destiny gameplay videos it just looks like a shooter from the makers of Halo... How could the budget be twice what GTAV cost? Also I'm just waiting till we see articles saying Destiny sells 10 million copies and is still a flop.

Personally, while I suppose this IS the games industry and you can expect anything, I bet Activision is willing to eat a loss on this first game. Think of it as an investment for a ten year franchise, including the DLC I assume they will sell for this first game. Probably some microtransactions, too. Hopefully cosmetic if they do have them.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Personally, while I suppose this IS the games industry and you can expect anything, I bet Activision is willing to eat a loss on this first game. Think of it as an investment for a ten year franchise, including the DLC I assume they will sell for this first game. Probably some microtransactions, too. Hopefully cosmetic if they do have them.

Exactly. Now that the engine and assets are created they can pump out DLC and sequels for years to come for a fraction of the initial cost.

Organs
Feb 13, 2014

I'm fairly sure that the majority of Destiny's budget is for marketing, with the intentions of setting it up as the next COD. I'm not sure how well that will work after Titanfall was hyped as being exactly that and fell flat on its face.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's probably going to bomb miserably like almost every other "COD-killer". It will be glorious.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Meh, most of the showings this year won't excite me besides some Smash bros. and whatever Zelda is, maybe Kingdom hearts III too if whatever they show off isn't a dumb teaser trailer of someone standing around.

I hope theres a new Advance Wars or Metroid announcement too, those might be fun.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Faltese Malkin posted:

If I had to predict sales I think Destiny will sell a very respectable, and financially disastrous, five million copies. And that's assuming it's not obviously a complete disaster by the time it comes out like Duke Nukem Forever. It's a new IP which has become a difficult thing to push and Bungie doesn't have the pull that they might have had ten years ago (not entirely their fault, of course, but when all you do is Halo and people are starting to reject the brand then they're not going to be pulled in by the new project). It's also in an absurdly overcrowded genre that already has a well entrenched competitor occupying the niche that they'd need to dominate. Quality isn't a factor here and even their absurd marketing budget is likely spending far more than they'll ever make back per sale.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I think more than half that budget is for marketing, but I also think that it's expensive now because they're building an engine from the ground up to handle the franchise that may be around for a couple console generations.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Jimbot posted:

I think more than half that budget is for marketing, but I also think that it's expensive now because they're building an engine from the ground up to handle the franchise that may be around for a couple console generations.
Yeah, but making a successful franchise isn't easy. No FPS has succeeded at rivaling COD in almost ten years and that is the only way Destiny is probably getting its money back.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

spasticColon posted:

I had to look up GTA V's budget and even that was around half that :psyduck:

I fear for Bungie's future

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
It's probably not fair to compare Destiny to another FPS like CoD that gets recycled every year regularly. Bungie stated that they want the game to be a huge 10 year project from the start, and you could at the very least take your pedigree of 'we made halo' and put it on your powerpoint presentation asking for 500 million as a production cost/advertisement money with the argument that 'this is just infrastructure, you will make hand over fist in the next 10 years in DLC which costs almost nothing to make, but you need to spend $$$ right now so you can entrench your userbase from the ground floor.'

Burns
May 10, 2008

What exactly is Destiny's 'goal' (besides taking our money)? What is the unique thing its trying to do?

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Burns posted:

What exactly is Destiny's 'goal' (besides taking our money)? What is the unique thing its trying to do?

Be the soft sci fi equivalent of COD. Scoff if you must, but presently its competition at that is Borderlands.

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Burns posted:

I've always looked at the game as "the people who made Halo are making a Borderlands-style sci-fi game aimed at taking down Call of Duty"

Edit: Not saying this is bad, mind you, just what I picture Destiny to be.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

NTT posted:

It's probably not fair to compare Destiny to another FPS like CoD that gets recycled every year regularly. Bungie stated that they want the game to be a huge 10 year project from the start, and you could at the very least take your pedigree of 'we made halo' and put it on your powerpoint presentation asking for 500 million as a production cost/advertisement money with the argument that 'this is just infrastructure, you will make hand over fist in the next 10 years in DLC which costs almost nothing to make, but you need to spend $$$ right now so you can entrench your userbase from the ground floor.'

If you think about it:

5 million in sales, say $50 profit per is $250 million

then you need to sell 12.5 million $20 DLC packs. That's 2.5 DLCs per initial user. That's... difficult but not terrible if you look at map packs for COD and the like. And then maybe you put out an expansion for $40 later on.

It's possible to pay all that back, but just barely. And whoever's fronting the money is taking a few hundred million dollar risk to do so.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm actually curious is all that funding from Bungie's coffers are is there someone else backing them?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm actually curious is all that funding from Bungie's coffers are is there someone else backing them?
Activision is. And now I feel like a total rear end for forgetting that. Still, I don't think COD plays are going to migrate to it in droves big enough to justify the budget. They'll just keep playing COD.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 14, 2014

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Accordion Man posted:

Activision is.

If Destiny is a COD killer and Activision owns COD, why the gently caress do they need to back it?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Did you notice the knight-helm style armor in the newest Call of Duty? Maybe it's less taking it back and more bringing it together. :aaaaa:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

If Destiny is a COD killer and Activision owns COD, why the gently caress do they need to back it?

To be fair I don't think Activision ever said it was a COD killer. They are probably more worried about beating Halo at its own game.

Then again it's funny that Advanced Warfare is using scifi space gadgets now

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

Alan Smithee posted:

To be fair I don't think Activision ever said it was a COD killer. They are probably more worried about beating Halo at its own game.

Then again it's funny that Advanced Warfare is using scifi space gadgets now

I assumed it was because Call of Duty isn't what it once was and they secured what they believe is "the next COD"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I think Activision is right to be nervous about longevity of a franchise once you get into releasing it year after year with tons of DLC. It's what they did with Guitar Hero before COD, and look how that turned out. That kind of retail strategy seems to have a low ceiling. Call of Duty is gonna fade and they want Destiny to be ingrained by that point.

It's too bad I don't like Bungie shooters or their terrible art aesthetic.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Guitar Hero and Rock Band died because they were loving expensive and all the plastic crap took up enormous amounts of space on retailer shelves and in warehouses, which cost even more money. Apart from that, their gimmick hardly evolved over the ~5 years they were relevant, so most people just bought one version and were done with it.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Katana Gomai posted:

Guitar Hero and Rock Band died because they were loving expensive and all the plastic crap took up enormous amounts of space on retailer shelves and in warehouses, which cost even more money. Apart from that, their gimmick hardly evolved over the ~5 years they were relevant, so most people just bought one version and were done with it.

They died because of poor planning and licensing, because you can't expect people to just gobble up collections of tracks for 60$ every loving four months and not expect to be able to move them between the various games or systems like they do with itunes songs[1].

If Activision and EA actually played along using the same standard for the instruments[2], and if the games were actually just Itunes-like storefronts, with the occasional "pro-stratz playlist" coming after two years and the DLC[3] was easily moveable between systems[4] you would have had a genre that would not fade away. You had the two companies fragmenting the userbase and bleeding it to death with a game formula that was rapidly becoming obsolete (and that in the end was more suitable for arcades).

The problem is that there were too many executives you had to share your money with and too many expectation you had to live up to that blocked Neversoft and Harmonix from reinventing the guitar hero formula.

+ + + +

tl;dr; Probably what I am thinking of is that Rockband should have become how Epic is trying to reinvent Unreal Tournament.

[1] Paradoxally this would have worked fine with Microsoft's original vision of Xbox DRM if the original system extended to DLC (stuff
that was never mentioned). Go at a friend's home, get recognized by the system, play with your track packs on his system. Maybe Apple or Valve will implement it, Valve already implemented the Family Share. :smug:

[2] Harmonix created the pro instruments, Neversoft went on adding those stupid stripes before removing them, Harmonix had a battery with four toms, Neversoft had a battery with three toms and two cymbals. I don't remember who had the option to have two pedals, maybe both.

[3] Include cross-generational costumes and a sims-like game where you can show off those loving costumes and whales would flock to your game.

[4] In-family upgrade would have been an acceptable proposition.

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

Don't forget that Activision ran the Tony Hawk franchise into the ground before Guitar Hero. They're no strangers to running a franchise into it's grave and are almost certainly looking to secure the their next meal ticket before CoD completely shits the bed.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Cantorsdust posted:

If you think about it:

5 million in sales, say $50 profit per is $250 million

then you need to sell 12.5 million $20 DLC packs. That's 2.5 DLCs per initial user. That's... difficult but not terrible if you look at map packs for COD and the like. And then maybe you put out an expansion for $40 later on.

It's possible to pay all that back, but just barely. And whoever's fronting the money is taking a few hundred million dollar risk to do so.

Activision is not making $50 per sale of a $60 game. It's about $12 just to license, manufacture, and distribute the game, never mind the retailer's cut. From there you have marketing spends further diminishing the return on the disc, you're looking at maybe $20 of the $60 going to dev costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
The cost of making video games is often a thing that slips peoples minds when they try to comprehend the numbers behind it.

• Locked thread