Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

It's a rich people habit. I mean the kind of rich people who can easily afford to buy super-expensive cars multiple times a year. They buy one, drive it for a month or two, and then their attention wanders to the next one.

I recall reading a story a few years back, might have been here or maybe some other forums, where a guy was looking to do a photoshoot with a lamborghini and got permission to access some rich guy's lambo. He shows up and it turns out the guy basically drove it three times (less than 100 miles on the clock) and then parked it.

Outside.

With the windows down.

It had been there for many years, loving moss growing on it and the interior rotting away. They had the car the weekend and spent most of the weekend furiously trying to clean it enough to be get one angle where they could get their shots without seeing any rotten leatherwork or cracked rubber or whatever, and then left.

That's an extreme example but when you have like $500M you can afford to blow a hundred k on a car on a whim and then get bored with it in a week and not even feel like it's worth your time to bother selling it.

Remember the maserati bi-turbo wasn't exactly a Ferrari competitor. It cost about the same as a 325is (~$27k in 1987)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

13 INCH DICK posted:

Tonight was lesson one in teaching the GF to drive stick. Things certainly get exciting in a hurry. I've never heard my Civic make those noises....

My one mistake was saying I was getting so wound up and anxious because my car was the one thing i have that's important to me :v:

Well I am pretty sure she isn't a thing, so you are still in the clear.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

kastein posted:

I like everything in my life to be basket cases too.

Buy the drat thing. Also I lay no royalty claims to that quote if you actually want to make shirts unless boomerjinks is involved

30 seconds of messing around got me to this:
http://www.vistaprint.ca/studio/review.aspx?alt_doc_id=T477C-T2A78-0O7&redir=3&rd=1

... for something less than $20/shirt + shipping (it's not giving me a detailed price until I register, not that invested yet).

Snowdens Secret posted:

poo poo I'm just curious why they paint the insides of their engines like a carnival funhouse
That's the key to victory.

A couple of years ago the winner (by a big margin) of the annual TSD rally was a basket case of an Eagle Talon. The thing shouldn't have been running, never mind blasting gravel at 175 km/h in rural Saskatchewan, but the "owners"* had rebuilt the engine and in the process of re-assembly had painted parts bright colours - the block was blue, the head was green, the exhaust was yellow, etc.

* I thought there were some irregularities with the purchase of the car from what I saw of the documents. And major components had been stolen from a friend's Talon the night before the race.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

Remember the maserati bi-turbo wasn't exactly a Ferrari competitor. It cost about the same as a 325is (~$27k in 1987)

I'm sorry I can't hear you over the sounds of walking past my baby seal hub cap covers and sinking into my all leather cow interior

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

13 INCH DICK posted:

Tonight was lesson one in teaching the GF to drive stick. Things certainly get exciting in a hurry. I've never heard my Civic make those noises....

My one mistake was saying I was getting so wound up and anxious because my car was the one thing i have that's important to me :v:

The first driving lesson I gave my bf, he ended up shifting into 2nd without taking his foot off the throttle, pinging off the rev limiter and chirping the tyres as he let back off the clutch because that's how you do it in racing games. :shobon:

I'm glad I taught the emergency stop first.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

13 INCH DICK posted:

I tried to teach my ex to drive stick. After three tries of 2-3 hours each I gave up. Some people just can't drive stick.

The noises my car made will haunt me forever.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
My brother managed to downshift to 2nd at a fair clip and dump the clutch on his first try. Learned a good lesson on what gears mean and RWD all in one go.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The passenger seat perfectly captures the Biturbo ownership experience.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

KozmoNaut posted:

The passenger seat perfectly captures the Biturbo ownership experience.

Only those who have owned a Biturbo can speak of the ownership experience. :colbert:

In MY Biturbo...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
That shifter gaiter looks like some sort of strange growth.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

That shifter gaiter looks like some sort of strange growth.

botched circumcision.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Leather wrapped horse cock (flaccid)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Terrible Robot posted:

Leather wrapped horse cock (flaccid)

These pop up (flop down?) on eBay occasionally.

Prosthetic, obviously.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'd like to see 13 inch amass a collection of downmarket luxury failures. Biturbo, Cimarron (maybe Catera as well), X-Type...what am I missing?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Phaeton?

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

blk posted:

I'd like to see 13 inch amass a collection of downmarket luxury failures. Biturbo, Cimarron (maybe Catera as well), X-Type...what am I missing?

Land Rover Freelander

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Phaeton?

That's an upmarket failure.

Freelander's a good idea. There's the Aston IQ thing but I don't think that was sold in the states.

blk fucked around with this message at 04:27 on May 26, 2014

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'd almost settle for a Chrysler TC by Maserati. 

blk
Dec 19, 2009
http://salem.craigslist.org/cto/4438932890.html

I'd be willing to buy this and drive it up for you.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
3 series.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

You could throw the 318Ti and the C230 Sportcoupe in there, but they're pretty innocuous so I have little motivation to live vicariously through someone else's ownership.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

not actually a failure

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

blk posted:

Aston Martin Cygnet

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

You Am I posted:

Aston Martin Cygnet

That's gonna be way to reliable for him.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Leperflesh posted:

not actually a failure

Actual lamborghini tractors are pretty rare, and awesome. Jay Leno's Garage has a video about one, and it's cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wjL7lDtxW8

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

As far as I know, they're still making them, although not for sale in the US.

The newer ones look pretty badass.

You know you want that as your daily driver.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I love how we all want you to do the worst thing. A biturbo is pretty much the worst thing but its not the 13 inch worst thing until it has the mill from the Honda in it. The only thing that could make it more of a 13 inch horrorshow is maybe a jag V12.

I'd like to believe you drive the cars you do for our amusement but I genuinely believe you are an automotive masochist of the highest order and I love it.

MikeyTsi
Jan 11, 2009

I really, really wanted him to bring the Starion up. That would've been a combined disaster build of epic proportions.

The real bummer is that I have like two extra 4G63 motors now that could be rebuilt and thrown in there.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

MikeyTsi posted:

I really, really wanted him to bring the Starion up. That would've been a combined disaster build of epic proportions.

The real bummer is that I have like two extra 4G63 motors now that could be rebuilt and thrown in there.

The short and bittersweet Starion saga ended well I thought. The video of the clattering mostly dead engine accompanied by the insane beavis laugh was way better than if it had actually ran.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I liked the pool truck with crazy dash stickers. You were too beautiful for this world, truck that i cant remember anything else about :911: / :japan:

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My crack dealer (aka the local Alberta rotary guru) has a 13B turbo Maserati BiTurbo. It's glorious and I want to buy it off him every time I'm over at his place.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

My crack dealer (aka the local Alberta rotary guru) has a 13B turbo Maserati BiTurbo. It's glorious and I want to buy it off him every time I'm over at his place.

Gotta love a car where "put a rotary in it" is a reliability improving option.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Today I started wiping the seats down with simple brake cleaner to see how stuck on the paint was, I know they won't look good until they get recovered but I'd really like the car to look a little more cohesive. I'll bet I can get the interior looking at least marginally better once I get a can of proper thinner and spend some time and elbow grease.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
How horrible does the car smell after wiping down the seats with brake cleaner? Also, who the gently caress paints their seats.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
It wasn't so bad actually, I made sure to have all the windows rolled up and the hatch and doors shut while I was in there though.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

From what I understand a pull-through carb is much harder to do. With a post-turbo setup the bowl is pressurised by the turbo so the pressure differential in the carb is always the same and everything works out neatly. But I really wouldn't have a clue.

Neither method is perfect, but either will work fine when done correctly. The biggest difference in a factory setup (where they don't have to gently caress around with getting your carb to seal properly and poo poo like that) is that a slightly higher capacity compressor is required to achieve the same max horsepower when drawing through the carb as opposed to blowing through it and that the routing of the intake gases become easier in a blow-through (separation and pooling of the air/fuel is a problem in draw-throughs that have too many bends and joints and stuff after the carb).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting! And also: gently caress carburettors!

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

You know you want that as your daily driver.

Definitely going to go look for die cast models of Lambo tractors now, thank you.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thought you might find this entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

That's just a typo with an extra 0, right?

• Locked thread