Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Definitely take the random character generation from Villains and Vigilantes and use it as an option, it has given me some of my most fun gaming experiences.

edit: please don't try to make your game look like a comic book, that poo poo is plaaaaaayed.

long-ass nips Diane fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
The Supercrew is a legit comic book on the inside too though.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Speaking of Traveller….

My PbtA RPG project has been sidelined in favor of a wargaming product that would see print sooner. That's the line of Traveller supplements for Squadron Strike, a 3D tabletop blowing-up-spaceships game. What I'm doing is designing a whole range of Traveller warships in Squadron Strike terms, plus working on the setting book, writing the vector-movement tutorial, etc. Last weekend I got my first play test session in:

Playtest report

It works, it really does. We went 14 turns in a bit under 6 hours. It's Traveller-y, it plays well, we had fun.

So far so good.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've not got much better to do at nights at the moment, I'm gonna try running playtests for these games again :shepicide:

Who is interested in playtesting games on roll20 sight unseen and when would be a good night of the week to do this?

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Assuming it's still there, is Immortal: The Invisible War worth the five bucks to pick it up? The system is apparently poo poo and it's full of WoD inspired themes, but are there ideas to plunder from it?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

mllaneza posted:

Speaking of Traveller….

My PbtA RPG project has been sidelined in favor of a wargaming product that would see print sooner. That's the line of Traveller supplements for Squadron Strike, a 3D tabletop blowing-up-spaceships game. What I'm doing is designing a whole range of Traveller warships in Squadron Strike terms, plus working on the setting book, writing the vector-movement tutorial, etc. Last weekend I got my first play test session in:

Playtest report

It works, it really does. We went 14 turns in a bit under 6 hours. It's Traveller-y, it plays well, we had fun.

So far so good.

This is potentially great news because MongTrav's space combat is annoyingly fiddly. I'll check it out!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

sebmojo posted:

This is potentially great news because MongTrav's space combat is annoyingly fiddly. I'll check it out!

Zhodani Ships: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c0e0h4wpqdrlddd/SSv30.2.5.2-Zhodani%20Fleet-0.3.6.xlsx
Imperial Ships: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4uc4in42g0cxn5d/SSv30.2.5.2-Imperial%20Fleet-0.3.6.xlsx
Aslan Ships: https://www.dropbox.com/s/80wiv58cerect7x/SSv30.2.5.2-Aslan%20Fleet-0.3.6.xlsx

Of course, those mean very little without Squadron Strike, so here's the website for that:
http://store.genreconnections.com/squadron-strike/

I'll post a PDF of the vector movement tutorial once it has all the diagrams in, and pending publisher approval.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Tasoth posted:

Assuming it's still there, is Immortal: The Invisible War worth the five bucks to pick it up? The system is apparently poo poo and it's full of WoD inspired themes, but are there ideas to plunder from it?
Oh poo poo I own that game. The system isn't poo poo so much as it is... Hidden. Like, I don't think it's actually possible to play the game because the book hides the system from you. (What is there is poo poo, though.)

I thought the basic idea was pretty neat in a 90's sort of way, and might be great if it weren't so serious about itself. The idea of immortals, prides, himsati, serenades, etc. is really neat. But the loving vocabulary list is so... So... 1992.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Typing up the OP for my Pendragon PbP. Since character generation is actually the first "session", I can't really recruit based on character bios. I was thinking along the lines of asking the applicants to write a silly poem or joke appropriate to the Arthurian theme, 300 words or less, best 6 submissions get in the game. Something along the lines of:

There once was a fair maid of night,
Who carried dung buckets in early light,
Until one fanciful eve,
A knight, and joie de vivre
Now only noble airs can hoist all her shite.

Does this seem overly outlandish/demanding?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Verr posted:

Typing up the OP for my Pendragon PbP. Since character generation is actually the first "session", I can't really recruit based on character bios. I was thinking along the lines of asking the applicants to write a silly poem or joke appropriate to the Arthurian theme, 300 words or less, best 6 submissions get in the game. Something along the lines of:

There once was a fair maid of night,
Who carried dung buckets in early light,
Until one fanciful eve,
A knight, and joie de vivre
Now only noble airs can hoist all her shite.

Does this seem overly outlandish/demanding?

Well first of all it doesn't scan

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Intentionally setting up low expectations for my players. So they're not intimidated by my awesome prosing.

\/ - Pretty sure a forum post is prose, not poetry. Edit: That wasn't clear. By prose I meant my forum posting, which is, as you can see, not poetry.

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 14, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Well, prose is actually the opposite of poetry so yeah, you're not impressing anyone.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
There once was a fair lady knight
Whose smile was so very bright...

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

Error 404 posted:

Whose smile was so very bright...

In battles, for fun
She'd cry "praise the sun!"
And blind her foes with its light.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
Well, the version I know ends in 'tight'.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Whose smile was so very bright
When people saw her
They said "that's baller"
and "yo dogg, your grin is so tight."

:confused:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Whose smile was so very bright
Something about vaginas
And rhymes with vaginas
And then we end it with tight.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
There once was a miscreant wizard
Who called forth a terrible blizzard
But because magic ain't real
He was cut down with steel
And a strong knight tore out his gizzard.

E: There once was a fashionable wizard
Who made robes from the hide of a lizard
He set out to impress
But it looked like a dress
And the people said "Hey, is that Eddie Izzard?"

PublicOpinion fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 14, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

All good haikus have
Five syllables then seven
Refrigerator

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I have slain
the dragon
that had grabbed
the princess

and which
you were probably
saving
for a quest

Forgive me
he was so vicious
and she
was so cute

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
I remember the
Liesmith thread on paladins
a pretty good read

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There was a bad designer of games
Whose choices had questionable aims
"In order to master
this game, be a caster"
And so everyone called him rude names

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Sorry I had to fight in the middle of your black panther party :(

Len posted:

A guy I know has a blog that's up for an ENnie at Gencon this year. He's currently trying a kickstarter on his blog to get better equipment and make the trip to Gencon. Am I allowed to post it in the kickstarter thread or would that not be okay since it isn't my kickstarter? And could I double dip and mention his blog in the Gencon thread for people going but who don't look at the ENnie list?
I believe I speak for my Gen-Con thread when I say "if it has anything whatsoever to do with the convention, post the hell out of it, woooooooooo."

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Some neckbeards once played Black Crusade,
And they made a kid contract AIDS
One said "You can hate them
But I'm just the GM"
And he was banned by Winson_Paine

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Libertad! posted:

For folks with experience in Superhero RPGs, what can you tell about them, in terms of common tropes, game mechanics, and design pitfalls? I was thinking of designing a superhero homebrew thing, but I'd like to have good source material oh hand of what other people did.

I've really only played Mutants & Masterminds, and read Marvel Heroic Role-Playing, but that's only a minor sampling of all the games out there. Champions, Wild Talents, Necessary Evil, Villains & Vigilantes, et cetera. Are there any you'd recommend checking out, any to avoid?

My personal favorite is PDQ's Truth and Justice, although there's certainly room for improvement in the system. In general here's some suggestions:

*No super-power should ever be an "instant win". Yes, theoretically someone with super-speed should be completely untouchable to non-speedsters, and someone with even low levels of super-strength should instantly take down any non-super-tough foes with one hit. However, that's not how it tends to work out. Batman survives getting punched through walls, doc ock can take a punch in the face from spiderman, and one of the flash's recurring villians relies on throwing weapons. Unless you're going for an Aberrant or Watchman style "powers with realistic consequences" setting, don't go overboard with the effect of powers.

*As suggested before, don't feel the need to get bogged down in specific values or too many degrees of power. In comics, there's actually a fairly small amount of variation in power intensity or strength and past a certain level it just becomes "whatever the writer needs". Truth and Justice for instance really only has 4 "levels" of super-powers: +0, +2, +4, and +6. And really that works out about right, because when it comes right down to no super-hero has anything like an actual "set" power level. Sure spiderman theoretically can only lift 10 tons or something...but then he holds up a collapsing building or stops a train if he needs to.

*Don't turn weaknesses or disadvantages into extra material for creating your character. That is, don't give someone a discount on their powers because they're in the form of an item and don't give someone extra points for being vulnerable to flour. In T&J you can have weaknesses and limitations, but instead of getting more power points you get additional hero points and XP when those flaws come up during the game. That makes flaws and weaknesses self-balancing. On a theoretical level a weakness to kryptonite would be practically worthless...it's a rare, difficult to obtain material and your foes may not even be aware of its existence...but practically speaking it's everywhere. This way the benefit of a flaw is based on how often it is actually a disadvantage rather than some theoretical guess at how often it might be available to your foes.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tasoth posted:

Now that archives are back up, you might enjoy my Fatal & Friends writeup of that game.

To answer your questions, if you enjoy collecting RPG oddities, it's definitely worth five bucks. If you're looking for stuff to mine for your game, it might be worth five bucks. A lot of people write it off as a Highlander ripoff, and it's definitely more than that. Apparently large parts of the setting were taken wholesale from Clive Barker's Weaveworld, but I've never read that.

Immortal is really loving bizarre and difficult for a lot of reasons. The first is that the setting is incredibly overwritten, it's a hat on a hat on a hat.

The basic premise is, a massive extradimensional entity called the Sanguinary crashed into Earth millions of years ago, and over time the shards transformed animals, plants, and even pockets of air and minerals into sentient immortal creatures who eventually learned to harness their powers and take human form. However, what's left of the Sanguinary is still out there, mostly acting through its minions, and that little magic shard in your brain? It wants that back.

Sounds good so far, right? It doesn't end there. Number one, immortals have a true form, which could be anything from a leopard to a rose bush to a column of fire. Number two, immortals have to drain life force from mortals to survive, but doing so forcefully leaves them with magical curses to deal with. Number three, the Sanguinary saved itself from destruction by fleeing into the place where mortals dream, so immortals travel into the dream-realm to fight the Sanguinary...somehow. Number three, are lots of other dimensions, too! Immortals used to live in a bunch of other dimensions called dominions, but they had a big war that basically polluted them all, so now the dominions are a hell that you get sucked into if you go crazy with the life-stealing. Number four, a lot of immortals also spend most of their time in pocket dimensions of their own design--they're usually glorified theme parks where it's always medieval Japan, or ancient Rome, or even Buck Rogers. Last, and perhaps most importantly, your immortal character doesn't actually have millions of years of experience, because whenever life becomes too much to bear, they do this thing where they lose all their memories, and die and reincarnate as a mortal. So when you figure out that you're immortal (and of course they recommend that you play yourself) you have all of these past lives tugging at your mind and wanting to take over.

The second reason is that all of this poo poo is barely supported by the rules, in such a way that it's usually worse than having no rules at all. For example, that dream-exploring thing? It's just a single spell that you learn. It's entirely up to the GM to figure out what kind of missions you'll have in the dream-world, how dream-logic works, how your stats will work, etc. when that could be the premise of an entire game (and it has been).

The third reason is all conveyed very, very poorly, because the author drops you into the middle of the setting like you've already been playing in his campaign for years. For example, I presume from your post that you're familiar with Vampire? Imagine if the core book just started rambling about Sascha Vykos, the Tal'Mahe'Ra, the Harbingers of Night, and other abstruse setting crap on the first page of the book. It also bounces back and forth between setting and rules at will. Like, the life-draining and past life stuff I mentioned previously? Those are basic, vital components of playing a character, and you have to read between the lines and make many inferences just to understand what they mean and how they work.

The fourth reason is that the writing is incredibly pretentious. There are literally hundreds of setting jargon words, and they're flowery and mostly drawn from mythology or not-quite-Latin: Immaculum, Lethe, Sanguinary, even Colostrum, I swear to God. Not only that, but this is one of those games that thought they needed to rename every common bit of terminology in roleplaying: players are "actors," a combat turn is a "clash," a penalty to your roll is a "hostile" and on and on.

Now, what's good about Immortal? The positive side effect of it being overwritten as gently caress is that every single thing in it has a history. (And surprisingly, while that history might be tied to legendarily powerful immortals who haven't been seen in a long time, it's rarely or never tied to Mary Sue NPCs who might give you a quest if you lick their balls.) For example, in Vampire, vampires sometimes go into torpor--it's just a part of their biology, and it was kinda stolen from Anne Rice. Now, in Immortal, Lethe (that amnesia past life thing) was invented by one of the Immortal clans, and it's part of the reason they're considered outlaws. There are many other examples like that.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 14, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Ettin posted:

Some neckbeards once played Black Crusade,
And they made a kid contract AIDS
One said "You can hate them
But I'm just the GM"
And he was banned by Winson_Paine

There once was a man named Desborough,
whose mental malfunctions were thorough
Some goon said "What a whiner,
buy the Edgy Designer!"
and earned eighty-two bucks fifty-five, though.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Haiku must have a
kireji and seasonal
ref, you weeaboos

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
There once was an excitable goon
Whose limericks this thread did festoon
But look at the crimes
He passes as "rhymes"
The poetic skill of a mangy baboon

(Seriously don't rhyme "thorough" with "though" and "Crusade" with "Paine")

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
A forum of volume and "gently caress!"
Found a poetry contest by luck,
For all of their fuss
They wrote doggerel thus,
I'm serious, all your lines suck.

:colbert:

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Fuego not knowing how rhymes work aside, I could use a few extra bucks this week but I don't feel like churning out another Edgy Designer. Is there a decent way to do that without writing another Dungeon World playbook or should I make a serious one?

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Just a heads up, I'm counting all these as submissions.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Verr posted:

Just a heads up, I'm counting all these as submissions.

On my honor, stolid and true.
With my sword, I've slain countless Grue.
But I'm not quite a wit,
with this poetry poo poo.
So pass me another cold brew.

P.S. I don't own Pendragon and have no idea how to play it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davin Valkri posted:

A forum of volume and "gently caress!"
Found a poetry contest by luck,
For all of their fuss
They wrote doggerel thus,
I'm serious, all your lines suck.

JDCorley
Jun 28, 2004

Elminster don't surf
The lady knight comes at Albion's dark hour,
When maids bolt their doors 'gainst bandits and haunts,
She slaps courtly fops and evil she taunts,
Since the law only vouchsafes gold, silver, and power.
Atop a dark horse the lady knight rides
Spear stout as a man's and longer than some
Face her on the field, you'll surely succumb,
Within her protection, maids, mothers and brides.

When the lady knight decamps to your land,
Women's tongues become looser and cruel,
Since they all know that if you raise your hand,
You shall die in a lady knight's duel.
Protest at length you're not rakehell or knave,
It'll make a fine inscription over your grave.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ettin posted:

Fuego not knowing how rhymes work aside, I could use a few extra bucks this week but I don't feel like churning out another Edgy Designer. Is there a decent way to do that without writing another Dungeon World playbook or should I make a serious one?

Make a serious one so you actually have to spend 2-4 weeks designing and playtesting a DW playbooks like us real designers. :smug:

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Error 404 posted:

P.S. I don't own Pendragon and have no idea how to play it.

It's not that tricky, especially if you've ever played a Chaosium/BRP game before. (Though it is tweaked quite a bit.)

Check out the old Fatal & Friends thread starting here for a great summary of the game. I'm running a game currently; feel free to skim the IC thread if you want to see the system in action.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Swagger Dagger posted:

I have slain
the dragon
that had grabbed
the princess

and which
you were probably
saving
for a quest

Forgive me
he was so vicious
and she
was so cute

i approve of this

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Perhaps our quest must
Eventually come to an end, but
Now I see that the journey
Is more valuable than simply some
Strange and distant destination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Error 404 posted:

IMO, any game about superheroes is really easy to bog down in specifics. Hulk can lift X tons, but Thor can only lift Y, while Superman lifts X+Y. pretty soon you have a mess of mechanics that doesn't even accomplish what you set out to do, which is make super punch-mans who wear underwear on the outside.

I think out of all the offerings so far, MHRPG does it best, it is more concerned with emulating the way comics actually read, rather than model specific powers or power levels.
With Great Power also takes this approach, but is out of print right now. There's an updated version coming out late this year apparently.

• Locked thread