Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

nsaP posted:

Being tall really isn't that great on a bike cause it's designed for someone like 5 inches shorter than me and I only put my foot on the ground a few minutes a ride.

Ding Ding. Theres the winning answer.

Being able to flat foot any biek is piss in comparison to the fact that they're all designed for someone 6-8 inches shorter than me to be able to tuck behind the bubble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eh, it depends, my R1 has a long wheelbase for a literbiek, so it's good for a tall person, I can scoot my rear end back and be in the bubble, on the flip side my Marauder was designed for a 5'6 girl, so my knees are at a 90 degree angle, my back's in a hosed up position, and it's uncomfortable as all hell. My buddy's K1600GT though, I don't know how the hell you'd ride that beast if you were under 6', you'd practically have to get off at stoplights to hold it up.

Really though, none of us can speak authoritatively, because we're all kinda stuck with whatever height we are ATM.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh, it's not the kitchen counter--public enemy number one is the kitchen chandelier... every day it brings me one step closer to the coma ward

Oh, man, for this reason I wish I was short. Being tall is at once the best and the worst. I've lost count of the number of times I've been off in my own little world or just plain not paying attention and smashed my head into a smaller than usual door frame, cupboard, light.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I have the worst of both worlds. I'm 5-10, with a short 30" inseam and a long torso. I can barely flat foot any bike and most windscreens aren't great. My KLR650 was am adventure in tippy-toes.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I'm 6' and have even more skewed proportions. I just put my left foot down.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

KARMA! posted:

do you live in with your grandparents

Ha! I wish--that would be fantastic, I could buy a new bike every month for what I pay in rent and bills

nsaP posted:

Being tall really isn't that great on a bike cause it's designed for someone like 5 inches shorter than me and I only put my foot on the ground a few minutes a ride.

It's great on my dual sport... completely sucked rear end on my Nighthawk though: (

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Seen at Le Mans

Lovely.

Also this:

Victory Hammer LE.
Very nice, and mid controls!! Seriously sweet bike. If you want :911: but don't want a Harley feet forward cruiser (and are minted because although I have no idea how much these cost, they don't seem cheap), I don't think you could beat this. I am well impressed. Later when I'm more drunk and there's no reps around in gonna see if I can get on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I always thought 'forward controls' was anywhere forward of the seat. To me it seems that pegs any further forward than the seat line are completely useless for anything other than holding your feet off the ground. But I've never ridden a cruiser, so maybe I'm wrong?

edit: also Victory here is extremely competitively priced compared to Harley. I imagine in the US the difference would probably be less pronounced.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 14, 2014

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Forward controls are forward of the seat line, but also forward of the motor. On a cruiser it makes for a much more comfortable ride, especially over longer distances. As for Victory prices in the US, they are about the same as HD.

Motsew
Dec 31, 2004

I rented a Harley Davidson on my birthday just to give it a go and what not (I normally ride a Z750). I initially booked in for a Sportster, XL1200 or something but it was sold before the rental day so they "upgraded" me to a Fat Bob dyna. It was a lovely cream colour and looked pretty nice actually. Despite the fact that it was a poo poo engine that would transmit a fuckload of vibration through the entire bike and bars, giving me white finger vibration and I'm sure if I'd ridden it long enough I'd eventually have Raynaud's Syndrome I can still see some of the appeal to it. It turns heads (despite the fact the one I was riding had a stock exhaust that made it sound like some poo poo chinese 250) and the vibration kind of gives it character. The feet forward controls were weird as hell at first. I took off from the Dealer trying to put my feet where the pegs are on my Z750 but eventually you get used to it and it is comfortable until you start doing motorway speeds (about 70mph). Then you've got to really plant your feet to stop them getting blown off the pegs and because of the angle of your body, where you're leaning back; you can't get proper purchase on the bars, so you're literally hanging on.

The bike I rented:

My cousin trying his best to look hard hah (thinking of getting a HD when he turns 50, rides a Streetfighter at the moment, behind him is the 749 he just bought to do up as a track bike):

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

Motsew posted:

The bike I rented:

Last time I was I visited the Harley Dealer with my friends they had this same bike and I fell in love with the paint job. If I ever get a cruiser I want a finish like this, and probably in that color.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

My Mom's Motorcycle: My Rode Reel: http://youtu.be/L0DsvpE9aOk

Oglogoth
May 16, 2010

Daaaaarling~

MotoMind posted:

Not this again. :cripes:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MotoMind posted:

I would swear this is exactly the same guy who does wilderness collective.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Remember kids, top up before you run from the cops!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCKyn8_fFC4

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

How much range does a dirt bike usually have, anyway? I never really thought about it before.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Sagebrush posted:

Here's a pretty horrible crash.

Oh no looks like a High Memory Side Crash

:haw:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Sagebrush posted:

How much range does a dirt bike usually have, anyway? I never really thought about it before.

I've got a Yamaha 250 that gets about 150km of street riding. Off road I'm not really sure, don't pay attention to it.

Shimrod fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 16, 2014

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
poo poo went down at the local track last weekend:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8VmSCgfSQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VkuYkCdF8

Apparently there were 4-5 ambulance runs that day. The organizer for that event has a reputation for being inexperienced, but I've never seen it get this bad.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Gullous posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8VmSCgfSQI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_VkuYkCdF8

Apparently there were 4-5 ambulance runs that day. The organizer for that event has a reputation for being inexperienced, but I've never seen it get this bad.

Jesus gently caress. This among other reasons is why I've never been interested in track days.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Jesus gently caress. This among other reasons is why I've never been interested in track days.

Track riding is generally safe when a competent group runs the show. This org is the cheapest and newest around, attracting idiots.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I saw yellow flags on both before these guys started dumping bikes. Did the org not explain what they meant or what?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah, if I start doing track days I will certainly just pay for whatever it costs to not have idiots out there.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Did a red flag ever come out after dudes started yard sale-ing across the track? I still saw a few dudes riding through the debris field pretty quick.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Sometimes smaller orgs won't run a red flag to "keep things simple". But the reality is you need red flags for situations like this. That entire situation is loving insanity, I wonder what happened there. Blind rise to asspack, likely. I've rarely seen anything that bad, and never with that many riders involved - usually when someone has a really bad yardsale, it's one, or maybe 2 bikes.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Source thread:
http://pnwriders.com/track-time/194781-oprt-track-day-6-15-ridge-6.html

Someone's exhaust fell off at the crest. Yellow flags were up 4 turns in advance, but not everybody noticed. It sounds like the fast group was overbooked with slower riders, and people started riding beyond their limits.

One of the lucky ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cx7_5rXHco&t=651s

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 17, 2014

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Gullous posted:

Holy poo poo that first video. Also what's with people just stopping on the track and hanging around when they're not crashed or hurt? That's a big no-no at the track I go to. Does the track day group have their own track workers there or something?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Holy poo poo that first video. Also what's with people just stopping on the track and hanging around when they're not crashed or hurt? That's a big no-no at the track I go to. Does the track day group have their own track workers there or something?

That's what I was wondering; if people did that when I was track marshalling I would've crucified them. You go back to the pits and let the track workers sort it out.

Mister Duck
Oct 10, 2006
Fuck the goose

Gullous posted:

Source thread:
http://pnwriders.com/track-time/194781-oprt-track-day-6-15-ridge-6.html

Someone's exhaust fell off at the crest. Yellow flags were up 4 turns in advance, but not everybody noticed. It sounds like the fast group was overbooked with slower riders, and people started riding beyond their limits.

One of the lucky ones:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Cx7_5rXHco&t=651s

I was there, though in the beginner group. Holy poo poo, I never got the info on what happened. That is some crazy poo poo. Someone crashed on the ridge in the beginner group as well during the last session, I think they ended up ok though.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

That's what I was wondering; if people did that when I was track marshalling I would've crucified them. You go back to the pits and let the track workers sort it out.

Yeah I didn't understand that either. Way too many people hanging around.

xaarman
Mar 12, 2003

IRONKNUCKLE PERMABANNED! READ HERE

ScienceAndMusic posted:

A sterile one direction road with no gravel, telephone poles, curbs, soccer moms, with run off areas, EMTs on site, full gear requirement and safety advisers is less safe...

...then the street?

cagoons.txt

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

the gently caress

Seriously if you see a rider sliding by that far ahead of his motorcycle some serious errors have been made

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

Angryboot posted:

Yeah I didn't understand that either. Way too many people hanging around.

I thought the same thing, but a youtube comment pointed out it's mostly marshals (colored vests) or injured riders.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Gullous posted:

I thought the same thing, but a youtube comment pointed out it's mostly marshals (colored vests) or injured riders.

From the Duc rider on youtube when asked why he pulled over:

quote:

Pain. I thought my left arm was broken. Pause the video at the right time during the slow-mo part and have a look at where that foot peg connected with my wrist, then watch my clip-on

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

xaarman posted:

A sterile one direction road with no gravel, telephone poles, curbs, soccer moms, with run off areas, EMTs on site, full gear requirement and safety advisers is less safe...

...then the street?

cagoons.txt

Its more so I just don't care even the tiniest bit about my "lean" or going "fast".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Its more so I just don't care even the tiniest bit about my "lean" or going "fast".

You're riding the wrong bikes. I'm not being facetious, you actually are riding the wrong bikes. I'm not saying everyone everywhere should just wheelie around on busas but most of the people who say they don't care about going fast have never actually tried it to see how fun it is.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Slavvy posted:

You're riding the wrong bikes. I'm not being facetious, you actually are riding the wrong bikes. I'm not saying everyone everywhere should just wheelie around on busas but most of the people who say they don't care about going fast have never actually tried it to see how fun it is.

You mean riding the wrong bike for going fast. I know that it's a hell of a rush to open the throttle on some big nasty superbike, sure, but sometimes people enjoy things like "riding down a road" or "fresh air" or "seeing things".

If the best pleasure of motorcycling is only the sensation of speed, then how on earth do the cruiser, touring, off-road and trials motorcycle markets exist? How the gently caress can Harley-Davidson sell so many 883 Sportsters and full bagger setups?

Don't get me wrong, man, I fully plan on going to a track day as well, when I return home and can get my lard-ridden rear end on some stupid huge naked twin or triple. I like that sensation of speed, but I can also respect the fact that some guys/gals just like riding for the hell of it, and lord knows I can't fault them for that.

Edit: read the response below - fair enough, I get where you're coming from now. Gonna stop making GBS threads up the picture thread now, my bad.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jun 17, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ripoff posted:

You mean riding the wrong bike for going fast. I know that it's a hell of a rush to open the throttle on some big nasty superbike, sure, but sometimes people enjoy things like "riding down a road" or "fresh air" or "seeing things".

If the best pleasure of motorcycling is only the sensation of speed, then how on earth do the cruiser, touring, off-road and trials motorcycle markets exist? How the gently caress can Harley-Davidson sell so many 883 Sportsters and full bagger setups?

Don't get me wrong, man, I fully plan on going to a track day as well, when I return home and can get my lard-ridden rear end on some stupid huge naked twin or triple. I like that sensation of speed, but I can also respect the fact that some guys/gals just like riding for the hell of it, and lord knows I can't fault them for that.

I didn't say that at all. I'm saying that you should try it before you knock it. There are countless other aspects of riding which are fun beyond speed, I agree. If I could afford to own a fast-ish bike and an ADV/supermoto type thing, I would. And also, you don't need a fast bike to go fast; one of the best things I like about bikes is that just about anything is an absolute corner weapon in the right hands. Some of the best 'fast' rides I've had were on lovely slow bikes. Indeed, on the road I found the two fastest bikes I've ever ridden to be really frustrating because of my lack of ability and lack of space/circumstance to really deploy the performance available; riding something with 30-odd horsepower and skinny tyres is quite liberating.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Slavvy posted:

you don't need a fast bike to go fast; one of the best things I like about bikes is that just about anything is an absolute corner weapon in the right hands.

Very true, I can keep a much better pace on twisty roads on my 48hp XT than I ever could on my 78hp B6. Power isn't everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Snowdens Secret posted:

the gently caress

Seriously if you see a rider sliding by that far ahead of his motorcycle some serious errors have been made

Slowing up? When did up mean down? :confused: