Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mondian posted:

Best of Both Worlds would have us believe they just scoop entire cities out of planets and.... tractor them into space? I'm not sure.

Makes some sense if they're just taking the material and re-processing it for Borg stuff.

gently caress the colonists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Nah think about it. They're just zombies except they consciously realize they want to eat brains and make it their goal to eat all the brains, instead of just shambling about hoping some brains wander by. They say things like "Your cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own" but it never is, as far as I can tell they toss out all cultural distinctiveness in order to make you into a zombie.

What never made sense to me is why they ignore you until you're a 'threat'. Like they're too busy to care or something.

Well, I think in Voyager Seven tells us a few times about which technology the Borg got from which race. Even the nanoprobe injectors weren't originally a Borg invention iirc.

Also, I think it's definitely reasonable for the Borg to ignore people who aren't threats, it's a waste of time to try fighting off someone who can't impede your activity. My girlfriend's cat ignores me until I appear to be a threat, i.e. when I haven't filled her food dish.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Mondian posted:

Best of Both Worlds would have us believe they just scoop entire cities out of planets and.... tractor them into space? I'm not sure.

I always just assumed it was a blast-crater.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

What never made sense to me is why they ignore you until you're a 'threat'. Like they're too busy to care or something.

Do you know how much work it is to press those glowy bits on the wall? They won't press themselves that's for sure!

Borg ate the blinged out lazy tech support of the future.

"Ugh, I still have to defrag this entire cube, someone else deal with the intruders." *phaser* "Fine, I'll do it."

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Apollodorus posted:

Also, I think it's definitely reasonable for the Borg to ignore people who aren't threats, it's a waste of time to try fighting off someone who can't impede your activity. My girlfriend's cat ignores me until I appear to be a threat, i.e. when I haven't filled her food dish.

Yeah but the difference here is that cats are dumb. The Borg are presumably super intelligent, they just lack the ability of foresight.

oh I don't think these armed dudes spacewalking on the deflector dish are trying to stop us from building this beacon, it's not like they are shooting at us or anything

oh poo poo they just unlocked one of them maglocks, better send just a single dude to deal with the guy who already disengaged the lock rather than do anything about the other two guys who will most definitely disengage the locks on their side :psyduck:

First Contact ruined the Borg, not Voyager. Voyager just went along with what FC laid out the Borg to be i.e. a lovely enemy

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Subyng posted:

Yeah but the difference here is that cats are dumb. The Borg are presumably super intelligent, they just lack the ability of foresight.

oh I don't think these armed dudes spacewalking on the deflector dish are trying to stop us from building this beacon, it's not like they are shooting at us or anything

oh poo poo they just unlocked one of them maglocks, better send just a single dude to deal with the guy who already disengaged the lock rather than do anything about the other two guys who will most definitely disengage the locks on their side :psyduck:

First Contact ruined the Borg, not Voyager. Voyager just went along with what FC laid out the Borg to be i.e. a lovely enemy

In truth, TNG was already ruining the Borg before FC or Voyager even aired. Locutus is truly the seed that ruined this enemy. Really, why would the Borg give a poo poo about humanity or the Federation such as to create a semi-sentient half borg/half human ambassador? It's bullshit, really, and was the beginning of the end of the Borg as a cool concept.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
As established in any sci-fi series, the universe is at relative peace until the humans start going around space, then all bets are off. Humans are suddenly the coolest motherfuckers of all time. They are practically running the Federation despite being introduced to it late. The only Federation-based military organization anyone gives a poo poo about is Starfleet, a human created organization. I have no idea what the gently caress everyone in the galaxy was doing before Starfleet.

Humans also invented Section 31, the Space CIA.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 17, 2014

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
That's because Starfleet is space-america.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I'm pretty sure humans were put in charge of the Federation because they're the weakest and shittiest out of all the member species so they wouldn't get any ideas. I remember reading that somewhere.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I'm pretty sure humans are the main characters and focused race in Star Trek because it's a) cheaper to make the majority of crew human b) written by humans.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

hemale in pain posted:

I'm pretty sure humans are the main characters and focused race in Star Trek because it's a) cheaper to make the majority of crew human b) written by humans.

This sounds like something Data would chime in to add to the conversation. Thanks Data.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Shadow posted:

I love that he planned that for weeks but couldn't simply not shave his cheeks. The "evil twin with the fake mustache (beard)" cliche was retarded.

Although that episode was kinda stupid in general.

God forbid the TV show about space politics have any fun moments, huh?

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Humans are suddenly the coolest motherfuckers of all time. They are practically running the Federation despite being introduced to it late.

They were influential in founding the federation, because they bridged the gap between the cold logic of Vulcans and the savage emotions of Andorians. What the gently caress the Tellarites were doing there or why anyone else decided it was a good idea to sign up afterwards are loving mysteries, though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Harime Nui posted:

Someone a lot earlier on in the thread posted that the Star Trek series is actually secretly a comedy, and I'm inclined to agree. If you're not laughing at the show I don't think you're fully getting it. This is why I think Voyager is awesome and I stopped watching Battlestar Galactica during season 2. Actually the main reason I stopped watching BSG is because Starbuck is like one of the worst characters of any show I have ever seen. I'd rather watch A Briefing With Neelix on repeat for 11 hours.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Jun 17, 2014

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Terran Empire = best empire.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Tellarites are walking, talking pigs who have an entire culture based around turning everything into an argument and laying down sick burns. How can you note love them?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

The humans of the 24th century have evolved past the concept of fun.

Subyng
May 4, 2013
and sideburns

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Mondian posted:

Is this a book thing? Kill yourself if it is, please.

it's totally a book thing

i really hate the whole 'section 31' thing. it's just a lame artifact of the 90s conspiracy fad.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Subyng posted:

and sideburns

Alas, this is the greatest tragedy of them all.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

In truth, TNG was already ruining the Borg before FC or Voyager even aired. Locutus is truly the seed that ruined this enemy. Really, why would the Borg give a poo poo about humanity or the Federation such as to create a semi-sentient half borg/half human ambassador? It's bullshit, really, and was the beginning of the end of the Borg as a cool concept.

But then we wouldn't have this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6oUz1v17Uo&t=213s

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
pointy sideburns are pretty great and if you don't have them or want them you're a loving coward and a dumbass who loved boring orange and blue "action" movies that are just poorly scripted CG cutscenes from a game nobody asked to play

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just watching the first Trill episode in TNG. Man did they change that species for DS9. Why not just make up a new race? It's a bigger change then TOS/TNG Klingons.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Nah think about it. They're just zombies except they consciously realize they want to eat brains and make it their goal to eat all the brains, instead of just shambling about hoping some brains wander by. They say things like "Your cultural distinctiveness will be added to our own" but it never is, as far as I can tell they toss out all cultural distinctiveness in order to make you into a zombie.

They have advanced technology, but only in areas that help them assimilate other races, things that make them defeat their enemies or things that make them go faster. Maybe the Pakled are responsible for the Borg.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
We like to assimilate. You can help us assimilate?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Subyng posted:

and sideburns

Wrong, TNG dudes totally had sideburns.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

it's totally a book thing

i really hate the whole 'section 31' thing. it's just a lame artifact of the 90s conspiracy fad.

Section 31 is literally the only thing that makes sense, minus that they needed Sisko.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

albany academy posted:

Section 31 is literally the only thing that makes sense

ugh not the "no government can possibly stand without evil shitheads running around murdering people and committing genocide" argument again

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

ugh not the "no government can possibly stand without evil shitheads running around murdering people and committing genocide" argument again

*clint eastwood voice* somebody's gotta do your dirty work.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
and invading Iraq was a good idea that was just badly executed

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Practically every other race has their own, it makes sense to level the playing field.

And even in the Delta Quadrant, Ferengi are forever the space Jews.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

and invading Iraq was a good idea that was just badly executed

Well, ISIS seems to be making it work.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

hemale in pain posted:

Actually it's because Star Trek is cis, white and bigoted.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

is that you gene roddenberry?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

evil janeway from that ep where they retell voyager genociding a planet is one bad motherfucker

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

albany academy posted:

And even in the Delta Quadrant, Ferengi are forever the space Jews.

Other than their love of money, an already fictitious racial stereotype, what about them is Jewish?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Other than their love of money, an already fictitious racial stereotype, what about them is Jewish?

Off the top of my head the insular clannishness and exaggerated facial features. Also fictitious racial stereotypes that are hurtful against God's Chosen People, of course, but it's not like there aren't some :siren:problematic:siren: parallels to said stereotypes, by accident or design.

Picard did nothing wrong at Maxia.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

is it bad that I laughed when that one dude who looked like Mot from TNG got his rear end murdered? When he started bitching about booby traps on Empok Nor all I could think of was that's one self-aware redshirt. Then Garak got the psycho thing and killed him some Starfleet douche lol

also what the gently caress is Morn

e: wrong Nor

bucksmash fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jun 18, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

bucksmash posted:

is it bad that I laughed when Garak killed that one dude who looked like Mot from TNG? When he started bitching about booby traps on Terok Nor all I could think of was that's one self-aware redshirt.

also what the gently caress is Morn

Morn is You. He's the audience stand-in. Just sitting there watching the stories unfold around him.

You are Morn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

redshirt posted:

Unlike zombies, the Borg have standards. For example, they wouldn't assimilate the Kazon because they were too dumb.

They assimilated a Kazon once. The Borg collectively shat themselves soon after.

• Locked thread