Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

wow, I guess this is the spoilers thread now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

hhhat posted:

Until now I had no loving clue Brad Bird directed that. I've ignored the mission impossible movies, should I watch this one?

They're all worth watching to various degrees. The first film is by DePalma, and it has his style all over it, but it got cut up a bit for running time so it's a little confusing on first watch. The second is a case study in what happens when you let John Woo run loose without a net (he turned in a cut that was more than three hours long; Paramount removed him from the editing room and brought in Stuart Baird to do an emergency re-edit to bring it to a more manageable length, which results in large chunks of the movie making no sense at all -- but it's beautifully shot. The third is Abrams' first time out as a film director, but it turns a lot of "action movie" clichés on its head, which is fun. Ghost Protocol is just absolutely fantastic.

:stonklol:

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008

Timby posted:

They're all worth watching to various degrees.

Well looks like 2 3 and 4 are on Netflix. I'll check em out but mostly because Brad Bird.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"

hhhat posted:

Well looks like 2 3 and 4 are on Netflix. I'll check em out but mostly because Brad Bird.

Ideally you would watch them in Cruise Control order: 1, 4, 3, 2.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Maarak posted:

Ideally you would watch them in Cruise Control order: 1, 4, 3, 2.

I think 3 should be watched before 4 simply because there is some continuity between them. 1 and 2 can be tossed in wherever.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Kinda disappointed Brad Bird isn't in on the new star wars stuff. At least give him the Han Solo one off.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

echronorian posted:

Kinda disappointed Brad Bird isn't in on the new star wars stuff. At least give him the Han Solo one off.

He is knee deep in his Tomorrowland movie right now, and then presumably will be involved in some capacity on Incredibles 2.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

4 5 3 6 1 2
The slowest death.

Lampsacus fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jun 22, 2014

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW

Lampsacus posted:

4 5 3 6 1 2
The slowest death.

Jesus, why not just watch the Holiday Special on loop for a day?

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Lampsacus posted:

4 5 3 6 1 2
The slowest death.

I like how you've managed to construct a film viewing order than can, simply by order, totally ruin everything enjoyable about Star Wars. this took a lot of thinking. Or one fast lucky thought.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Neowyrm posted:

I am so very glad that the original trilogy was all directed by George Lucas. I mean the prequel trilogy obviously sucked because they switched directors all the time.

I feel that this point has been sorely overlooked in the discussion of changing directors for the new trilogy. If they start changing directors during production of individual movies I shall be worried, different directors for different movies leaves me excited as long as the directors are interesting.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

It's a shame Harrison Ford died during forum downtime.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I think Quick also made a green Yoda one.

boblemoche
Apr 11, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

I think Quick also made a green Yoda one.

Actually it wasn't green :

And both tasted like crap.

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Looks like Black Pudding. A burger where the bread is Black Pudding.

Not so sure I want my lunch now.

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
So Ghost Protocol was great, thanks for the recommendation. I'll check out the others at some point... it was going to expire from Netflix in a few days. Very Brad Bird, loved the Indian Pepe Le Pew - couldn't help but giggle.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Robotnik Nudes posted:

It's a shame Harrison Ford died during forum downtime.

Apparently his injury hosed everything up and he'll be on a 6 month leave prompting re-writes.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
So, I was thinking and it's been a while since I've seen the original trilogy. Time to ask the age-old question: is there a DVD set (or each movie individually if I have to) that just has the basic movies without all of the extra CGI poo poo they added in? I googled it of course but I'm getting a lot of conflicting info.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
In 2006 there was a limited release of the OT with the unaltered versions on bonus discs- BUT they were non-anamorphic transfers of the Laserdisc versions, I.e. Kinda crappy looking. Fans were nonplussed and the discs sold badly, but they've eventually become scarce and can be a little pricey.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rough Lobster posted:

So, I was thinking and it's been a while since I've seen the original trilogy. Time to ask the age-old question: is there a DVD set (or each movie individually if I have to) that just has the basic movies without all of the extra CGI poo poo they added in? I googled it of course but I'm getting a lot of conflicting info.

There are DVDs of the unaltered films. However, they're non-anamorphic transfers from the 1993 laserdiscs, with no restoration work done -- so color timing is off and they're on the ugly side.

This set contains the laserdisc rips as well as the Special Editions.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Apparently his injury hosed everything up and he'll be on a 6 month leave prompting re-writes.

Good I hope this delays the film because in my opinion it was too rushed to begin with.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

kiimo posted:

Good I hope this delays the film because in my opinion it was too rushed to begin with.

I imagine Disney will do everything it can to hang onto that 2015 slot. Between Batman v. Superman, Star Trek 3, Transformers 5, Captain America 3, X-Men Apocalypse and God knows what else, summer 2016 is going to be a zoo.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

I imagine Disney will do everything it can to hang onto that 2015 slot. Between Batman v. Superman, Star Trek 3, Transformers 5, Captain America 3, X-Men Apocalypse and God knows what else, summer 2016 is going to be a zoo.

:barf:

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Timby posted:

That is a loving crowded summer lineup.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Crowded with turds (except for XMen probably)

Lunatic Pathos
May 16, 2004

I shouldn't tell you this but you're the only one I can trust...

Vintersorg posted:

Other sources have said Lucasfilm has denied that this is true, so it's anyone's guess.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Well him pictured in a wheelchair aint helping those rumours unless Han Solo is a paraplegic now.

Pyzza Rouge
Jun 25, 2011

La Mano de Dios

Vintersorg posted:

Well him pictured in a wheelchair aint helping those rumours unless Han Solo is a paraplegic now.

Jedis take priority in bacta tank waiting lists, sucks for you Han "totally not an Iraq War vet" Solo.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Even a broken ankle takes 6-12 weeks to heal, and you heal by not putting weight on it and keeping it elevated; hence the initial "he'll be out for 8 weeks" announcement and hence why he's in a wheelchair. Let's not be crazy.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am pretty sure patients are usually wheeled in an out of hospitals in most places.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
I am interpreting it as some people in this thread WANT the new movies to fail, instead of, yaknow, letting them come out and we can judge as received.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Man, how important is Han Solo in this script? I was kinda hoping the emphasis would not be on the old gang, but if they have to delay the entire movie because of his injury rather than write around him...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Man, how important is Han Solo in this script? I was kinda hoping the emphasis would not be on the old gang, but if they have to delay the entire movie because of his injury rather than write around him...

He's apparently one of the lead protagonists (I've always figured Han will bite it at the end of Episode VII to set up the next two movies).

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Considering Ford wanted Han to die in TESB, I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason (other than a paycheck) that he decided to do this movie was because they would finally kill him.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I'd bet a shitload of money that Ford wouldn't have agreed to be in this unless Han would be killed off.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

dialhforhero posted:

He decided to do this movie because they would finally kill him.

Doing a pretty good job so far.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Maxwell Lord posted:

While originally the big three were going to be in minor/advisory/passing the torch type background roles supposedly the first thing Abrams did when he came on board was change up the story so that they are the main dudes. :/

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

While originally the big three were going to be in minor/advisory/passing the torch type background roles supposedly the first thing Abrams did when he came on board was change up the story so that they are the main dudes. :/

I think you're going to need to cite your sources if you're going to state this as fact.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Diabolik900 posted:

I think you're going to need to cite your sources if you're going to state this as fact.

My only source is from earlier in this thread but I can't remember how far back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I think it would be a good idea to disbelieve all rumors.

• Locked thread