Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
my favorite made up swear word is niggard

GET OFF MY LAWN YOU loving NIGGARD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

hemophilia posted:

I can easily see how this can go sour because as rare as they've been, there have been some extremely dull filler episodes already, and one or two outright duds. I think that's why I dislike really long seasons. Season 2 is really good so far but 20 45 minute episodes is pretty loving bulky. BSG seems like it would have benefitted from being rebooted in 2013 instead of 2003, assuming all the players were the same.

yeah it's weird to imagine that i watched bsg in high school and then never watched the final two seasons for years because i was in college and doin things. 2005 TV was way different from now, for sure

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xaris posted:

that reminds me, what the gently caress was with leoban(?) creeping on her and stealing her eggs/ovary? i guess another dumb thing that went no where

it was part of the whole "cylons are trying to reproduce naturally" thing

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

THS posted:

2005 TV was way different from now, for sure

as time goes on i become increasnigly convinced that the bush years were characterized not only by political insanity and financial disaster, but also by a general cultural malaise that - much like the other consequences of the bush years - we have yet to fully recover from

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The best thing about this show is when Dr. Baltar is talking to his headmate in public and random extras are giving him weird contemptful looks.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

THS posted:

the reason why any of us care is because bsg was a great show overall but a lot of the lazy writing really stands out when under scrutiny

Uh nope. It had a phenomenal pilot. Probably better than any other one I've ever seen or will see. However, before season 1 finished it was getting kind of aimless and wandering. By the end of season 2 it had really lost it's appeal with so much filler bullshit. Season 3 I couldn't even really start because after 1 or 2 episodes it was already too much.

That loving pilot though. I will poo poo on BSG for being the incoherent, poorly-thought out, multiple deus-ex machina bullshit and so on. But that loving pilot. If that didn't hook you, something was wrong with you.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
"33" remains one of the best hours of television I've ever watched and I would've liked the New Caprica storyline a lot more if they hadn't flashed "THIS IS BUSH'S WAR" across the screen every 30 seconds. But Ron Moore was just pulling everything out of his rear end by the time the whole Final Five thing begins and all that was left for the finale was a dingleberry.

Col. Tigh was pretty bad-rear end, though.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

hemophilia posted:

I saw Caprica on the netflix suggestions because i'm watching BSG. Is it worth watching after I finish this/get sick of it

no it's hot garbage

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
Caprica is basically unwatchable. You deserve some kind of prize if you can make it to the end of that show.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

it's great if you want to watch several hours of adama's family being a walking talking offensive italian cliche.

the parts that aren't that are a really horrible story about a murderous religious cult.

oh and some lawnmower man poo poo with a really annoying teen girl.

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

This seems like a pretty accurate summary of the series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PalLUSh7rh4

Redjakk
Apr 24, 2007

cormano sigue siendo mi hermano
Fun Shoe
My friend Margaret once had an ex who dated Katee Sackhoff in High School.

He cajoled Margaret into watching the first few episodes and negatively compared her to Katee the entire time. He broke up with her when she said she didn't want to watch it with him any more.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The thing that blows my mind about Caprica is that the main girl in it is Anne (Bland/Egg) from Arrested Development. She turned out totally different as she grew up, like the opposite of Michael Cerra.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DuKPHXRLjA

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kingcom posted:

No seriously one of the main characters for the entire season who they spent a tonne of time explaining where they came from their history, their emotional problems and relationships just literally turns out to be an angel or something and poof disappears in the final episode. Vanishing into thin air. Good job everyone.

Well it was just the goofy version who came back after she obviously died, i dont think the original starbuck was always an angel. Her backstory wasn't completely stupid in that sense anyway because there was a real person there for most of the show.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jeffrey posted:

Well it was just the goofy version who came back after she obviously died, i dont think the original starbuck was always an angel. Her backstory wasn't completely stupid in that sense anyway because there was a real person there for most of the show.

Plus, that was her who came back. She was just resurrected or whatever and didn't know she was a ghost there to do magical things. God's a prankster, I guess.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I only watched like 3 episodes of BSG, did it turn out that he was hallucinating her or was it some mind control chip on his brain or what?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

I only watched like 3 episodes of BSG, did it turn out that he was hallucinating her or was it some mind control chip on his brain or what?

she was an angel and there was also a baltar angel talking to the real her back on caprica....yeesh

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

she was an angel and there was also a baltar angel talking to the real her back on caprica....yeesh

I'm asking seriously man

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

I'm asking seriously man

you'll just have to watch the show and find out

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

you'll just have to watch the show and find out

please don't make me

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
The end of bsg already owns but yea it would have been better if had ended with finding the blasted earth with cylon bones. Also all the fans complaining about the religious stuff out of nowhere are hilarious and possibly never actually watched the show.

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OH MY GOD I WAS WRONG. IT WAS EARTH ALL ALONG. YOU'VE FINALLY MADE A MONKEY OUT OF ME!!!

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Danger posted:

The end of bsg already owns but yea it would have been better if had ended with finding the blasted earth with cylon bones. Also all the fans complaining about the religious stuff out of nowhere are hilarious and possibly never actually watched the show.

Right up until the last minute they were all honestly expecting the grand finale to be Ron Moore walking onto the set, clearing his throat, and announcing "God isn't real, souls are a superstitious delusion in a mechanistic universe governed solely by logic and physics, you are a fool if you thought otherwise even for a moment, owned suckers"

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jul 23, 2014

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
i mean, i can see how they were confused what with embracing a christ-like love of the other, submitting to a personal concept of god, and discovering the power of faith all being prominent plots in the first season

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Don Tacorleone posted:

please don't make me

that feel when you spend hours watching trash to find out that i was posting earnestly about the events taking place

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

Doctor Spaceman posted:

It gets replaced with a bit of military jargon, but overall it was something they kept to and it worked well

Where fans went wrong is seeing the show as some conflict between the military jargon and the religious stuff, with the ultimate reveal of a predetermined plot bible that evidences the inherent logic of the fictitious universe, instead of the jargon and religious dogma being the same thing.

buttcrackmenace
Nov 14, 2007

see its right there in the manual where it says
Grimey Drawer

Howard Beale posted:

"33" remains one of the best hours of television I've ever watched

concur.

33 happened to be the first episode I ever watched (didn't see the pilot ep till later). Hooked instantly.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

buttcrackmenace posted:

concur.

33 happened to be the first episode I ever watched (didn't see the pilot ep till later). Hooked instantly.

that's the best way to watch it, the pilot is super dumb and zero of is necessary to following along with what comes after

Cylon chick has a glowing fuckspine and kills a baby to let us know she's bad news and y'all are talkin about how well written it was lol

Kirk Johnson
May 25, 2014

by Ralp

Danger posted:

The end of bsg already owns

No.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

that's the best way to watch it, the pilot is super dumb and zero of is necessary to following along with what comes after

Cylon chick has a glowing fuckspine and kills a baby to let us know she's bad news and y'all are talkin about how well written it was lol

On the flip side Tricia Helfer seems like a pretty chill person.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Tubgirl Cosplay posted:

also apollo can't stop whining and being totally buttfrustrated about his absent father and just being a huge crybaby pisspants all around

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also apollo can't stop whining and being totally buttfrustrated about his absent father and just being a huge crybaby pisspants all around

The biggest plot twist from season 1 was tall white guy wanting bump uglies with a asian girl.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i liked the episode where the chief and a bunch of his lackeys are stuck in the woods and technician #2 dies getting a some dumb thing from the ship cause the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few and this needs to be illustrated through sacrifice of life.

its was was filmed over in north vancouver where there are SICK mountain bike trails that the team could have shredded on provided they had mountain bikes and wern't being hunted by cyclons. actually having the mountain bikes might have saved technician #2's life. makes you think.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Jeffrey posted:

Can someone confirm or deny this Re: Gaius Baltar and his hallucinations of the hot cylon that no one else sees? I thought it was like a mind control chip or some poo poo

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

god is real

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Trast posted:

On the flip side Tricia Helfer seems like a pretty chill person.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

If you watched battlestar galactica and are even slightly confused about the beating-over the head obvious fact that god is real in that show and that the hallucinations are at multiple times shown to be more than hallucinations, you're crazy. Gaius Baltar got a brain scan clearing him and multiple times their Gaius' and 6's hallucinations have fed them information they could not have known. They were supernatural.

Also season 3 is loving annoying with PTSD having infected every likable character and making them immensely unlikable.

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jul 24, 2014

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Don Tacorleone posted:

Can someone confirm or deny this Re: Gaius Baltar and his hallucinations of the hot cylon that no one else sees? I thought it was like a mind control chip or some poo poo

its all true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

hemophilia posted:

If you watched battlestar galactica and are even slightly confused about the beating-over the head obvious fact that god is real in that show and that the hallucinations are at multiple times shown to be more than hallucinations, you're crazy. Gaius Baltar got a brain scan clearing him and multiple times their Gaius' and 6's hallucinations have fed them information they could not have known. They were supernatural.

Also season 3 is loving annoying with PTSD having infected every likable character and making them immensely unlikable.

She's actually his headmate. He has a secret tumblr all about her.

• Locked thread