Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Can't you use the Mono equivalent?

I think some of the more esoteric C# packages aren't yet covered by Unity's version of Mono.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Can't you use the Mono equivalent?

Not for Linq, no. :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Protocol7 posted:

Not for Linq, no. :(
Linq is evil, man. I've always known this, but thank you for giving me an actual reason for my religious avoidance. :v:

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Trying to optimize my game with 48 hours left is quite the rush. I'm trying to get Object Pooling to work utilizing a modified version of this script. The idea is to spawn all the items my scene will use right off the bat, and then rather than instantiate new objects I just call them from the pool. Since my game is all about instantiating a ton of objects at once, this is potentially a big optimization. Of course it means rewriting every line that Instantiated or Destroyed an object, which is a bit hectic. Biggest concern is introducing a bug I don't find until it's too late, but the gains (in theory) should be worth it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Which is disappointing because whenever you google a C# question regarding data handling, Linq has a roughly 75% chance of being involved in the most suggested solutions.

I've never dug into it myself but I read the overview and it seems pretty scary. A query language for arrays that looks like SQL? I just can't wrap my head around it, it seems like a neat trick but maintaining it in a large project has to be a nightmare. Maintaining databases is hard enough when they're standalone, distributing it into code has to be even worse.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shalinor posted:

Linq is evil, man. I've always known this, but thank you for giving me an actual reason for my religious avoidance. :v:

I work exclusively with .NET for my salary job. So I got used to Linq (at least in terms of lambda expressions). I guess I could iterate through my data structures like a non-.NET dev. :v:

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Atoramos posted:

Trying to optimize my game with 48 hours left is quite the rush. I'm trying to get Object Pooling to work utilizing a modified version of this script. The idea is to spawn all the items my scene will use right off the bat, and then rather than instantiate new objects I just call them from the pool. Since my game is all about instantiating a ton of objects at once, this is potentially a big optimization. Of course it means rewriting every line that Instantiated or Destroyed an object, which is a bit hectic. Biggest concern is introducing a bug I don't find until it's too late, but the gains (in theory) should be worth it.

Don't forget to reset the state of the object when you return it to the pool!

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

I work exclusively with .NET for my salary job. So I got used to Linq (at least in terms of lambda expressions). I guess I could iterate through my data structures like a non-.NET dev. :v:
foreach is your friend. Your pal. Your chum. Your bosom buddy. Just squint, and ignore what you know about the additional allocations it's doing behind the scenes, and feel the love.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Shalinor posted:

foreach is your friend. Your pal. Your chum. Your bosom buddy. Just squint, and ignore what you know about the additional allocations it's doing behind the scenes, and feel the love.

Yes, foreach is my buddy. As in List.ForEach(item => doStuff(item));

But that's easily adaptable to the non-Linqified foreach, so I guess it's a small issue.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Protocol7 posted:

This is me. I have some ridiculous queries that would have been way too much to write through code. Using flexible Linq statements let me cut down a project substantially.

That said, I've never had luck with Linq outside of .Net sites, so take that how you will.

FateFree posted:

Good freaking suggestion. I was about to say "I added in code to reset the state of the object when I remove it from the pool" which is accurate, but I'm not actually sure if any of my pooled objects have scripts that cause funkiness. Time to check!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

FateFree posted:

Good call, have a few scripts where timers aren't being reset. Anyone have a smart-yet-simple way for me to reinitialize the objects when I pull them out?

edit: Looks like setting my default states in OnEnable() is a good option, pursuing that now.

double edit: Haha SetActiveRecursively has been deprecated, swapping to SetActive and putting my defaults in OnEnable appears to be doing the trick. Now for more testing.

VVV thanks for the advice! If I can't get OnEnable doing what I want I'll likely broadcast.

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jul 29, 2014

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Atoramos posted:

Good call, have a few scripts where timers aren't being reset. Anyone have a smart-yet-simple way for me to reinitialize the objects when I pull them out?
PoolManager2 has an OnSpawned event. If you're using PoolManager, do it in OnSpawned. If you rolled your own, BroadcastMessage("OnSpawned") at things from within the manager when you spawn them and use that.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Figured out my web build issue. Got it working. Now that I have those logistics figured out... polish, polish, polish!

(You can PM me for a link if you're curious, but I'd like to wait to share the URL with potential judges until after Dodgeball and I have completed some testing from start to finish.)

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Life got super dumb despite my amazing headstart and ~15 days of raw productivity, talking with the team it looks like we can make something with what we have in ~48 hours.

HottiePippen
Nov 5, 2013

bagina posted:

So yeah. This month has been hosed. So much insane personal poo poo going down along with some really odd work deadlines made it really hard for me to finish up everything that I needed to for my team's game...

...but I'm almost done! I think I'll have everything put together and good to go in the next 24 hours.

Here's a small sample. It's about 179 degrees away from anything I've done in the past for video games or any media for that matter.

LISTEN OR I WILL GIVE YOU A STERNLY WORDED LETTER OF CONSTERNATION

Jesus christ why are you so good at music?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
OK, Game Knight is finished. Far as I can tell it's bug free and everything works as intended. Let me know if anything breaks. It should be beatable within like half an hour. Less if you hate jokes, more if the RNG decides it loathes your existence and that you should suffer.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/SevenHams/game-knight

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
oh thanks Shalinor!

Now that I am moved back into my parent's basement I still got a number of things to handle before I can sit down to hammer out any more levels or anything. so I guess it will remain the way it is.

and to put things into perspective for people that are still scrambling with almost nothing done; I got my thing done in about 3ish days.

sighnoceros
Mar 11, 2007
:qq: GOONS ARE MEAN :qq:
OK well everyone pack it in, my game has the best music ever and a totally groovy title screen.

Also Everdraed belched into a microphone for me so look forward to that.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

bagina posted:

So yeah. This month has been hosed. So much insane personal poo poo going down along with some really odd work deadlines made it really hard for me to finish up everything that I needed to for my team's game...

...but I'm almost done! I think I'll have everything put together and good to go in the next 24 hours.

Here's a small sample. It's about 179 degrees away from anything I've done in the past for video games or any media for that matter.

I dunno if anyone else has said anything to you about this piece yet, but holy gently caress. Please tell me your game is a Metroidvania, that track fits so well with the genre. I've only heard the music and I already want to play the poo poo out of it.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

RickVoid posted:

I dunno if anyone else has said anything to you about this piece yet, but holy gently caress. Please tell me your game is a Metroidvania, that track fits so well with the genre. I've only heard the music and I already want to play the poo poo out of it.

Makes me think JRPG myself, like the SNES Chrono Trigger / Final Fantasy style.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer

bagina posted:

The strongest of Final Fantasy vibes from that. 7, mostly. I like it!

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah, I also get ff7 + castlevania vibes. :golfclap:

Chance
Apr 28, 2002

Ugh, put me on the wall. I am hating the game I'm making, and the ugh timing of my teams contributions have been pretty lacking. That's not to excuse my own lack of work, just this is a bad game. Might return to it later, but it's not going in for this challenge.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

My game is done!

Download - SAGDC Wiki

The game works on Windows, Mac and Linux. Windows has a standalone EXE, Mac and Linux need Love2D installed. The readme is a good resource if you get stuck!

I hope everyone has fun with my game! I did not get all I wanted done, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thank you again Rupert Buttermilk for your great music, and congratulations on your child!

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007
We ran a complete run-through of the game tonight - for the first time.

There's still a few graphical things to finish and a couple of bugs to squash but I'm 100% sure we'll have submitted by this time tomorrow. Woop!

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I meant to post this like 2 weeks ago but I'm dropping out. I barely had time to start my game before my life ended up really busy. To the wall of shame I go!

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

OK, Game Knight is finished. Far as I can tell it's bug free and everything works as intended. Let me know if anything breaks. It should be beatable within like half an hour. Less if you hate jokes, more if the RNG decides it loathes your existence and that you should suffer.

http://www.kongregate.com/games/SevenHams/game-knight

Aaaaaahhhh why would you use the arrow keys, space bar, and mouse, but not WASD????

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ultigonio posted:

Aaaaaahhhh why would you use the arrow keys, space bar, and mouse, but not WASD????

The theme was public access TV, which is a bit hard to watch sometimes, so I made the game a bit annoying to play. Seemed to fit with the theme. :shrug: I left in other crap like being able to walk through doors from the side. Some of the images are actually placeholders that I just plain left in. Some of the hardest decisions I had to make were about how to make the game bad and kind of annoying but not completely unplayable or too frustrating.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Welp, Team I Should Be Working On My Clown Game is officially out due to me actually working on my clown game. :'( Maybe next year.

Afal
Sep 4, 2012

"Tubular! Catch you on the flip side!"
Well I'm submitting now. I think I'm done with this. I don't want to look at it any more.

There's a lot of things in this that I didn't have the chance to do. Originally this was going to be a doom-style adventure game, but then for some reason I couldn't get passed the roadblock of my player being able to walk through walls (which was no good).

Scaling back I thought "what's the most Public Access way I could make this game". I then got it. Make it styled as a "My First RPG Maker Game"

I present The Angry Atheist Gamer

Features:
  • Screenshake
  • Real music taken from the RPG maker forums without attribution
  • Explosions
  • A cool game over screen that I'm really proud of
  • 4 endings. None of them are actually good because this game is godawful
  • A CRT effect that looks pretty rubbish compared to the other ones I've seen here
  • A long corridor you have to walk down until you get to the door at the other end
  • Moral choice system
  • At least a minutes worth of gameplay

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.
So, with barely any time left at all, I've happily managed to finish my various odds and ends for other people's games. I've made a bajillion sound effects and a fair few songs, and I'm actually fairly pleased with just about everything I put out this year. There was, however, one track that was unable to make it due to limited time, but I'm reasonably proud of it!

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I've added more things to my game in the last two days than in the last two weeks.

In putting together an ending, I've made my game waaaaaaaaaaay dumber than it was before.

I'm pretty excited about it.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

I put up 2:22AM up on the wiki a little bit ago! Kind of experimental, more of a moody walking simulator-esque experience than some of the other games. I still had a lot of fun making it though!

Change
Apr 26, 2007

Dog Time wiki

Kongregate

Here is the thing I made for this year. I half-made something a for an old game dev but never finished it. Never posted about any of my games before they were done because shame is scary.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Gaspy Conana posted:

Welp, Team I Should Be Working On My Clown Game is officially out due to me actually working on my clown game. :'( Maybe next year.
True story, I was this close to starting Team Gaspy Conana Should Be Working On His Clown Game :v:. Maybe next year I'll enter, though I'm pretty glad I didn't :toxx: myself like I was planning on because this month went so south so fast. Still hoping I'll be able to try some of these!

Edit: No experience with game making, but I went so far to write out a design document! That's how close I was.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 30, 2014

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.
Ugh, I've had three artists flake out on me (yes that's right three artists in a row bailed because of life / work) and my composer lost all his work in a massive thunderstorm.

I officially give up. I'll have something to submit but it'll basically be nothing and have nothing to do with the theme as I cobble together something that resembles a video game.

This year was just not my year. :negative:

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Jon93 posted:

Ugh, I've had three artists flake out on me (yes that's right three artists in a row bailed because of life / work) and my composer lost all his work in a massive thunderstorm.

I officially give up. I'll have something to submit but it'll basically be nothing and have nothing to do with the theme as I cobble together something that resembles a video game.

This year was just not my year. :negative:

You could always make a game based on failing to make a game for SAGDC14.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

RickVoid posted:

You could always make a game based on failing to make a game for SAGDC14.

The kicker is I have about 75% of a really neat game but I'd rather just wait and release it later with actual art and more content.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

SystemLogoff posted:

My game is done!

Download - SAGDC Wiki

The game works on Windows, Mac and Linux. Windows has a standalone EXE, Mac and Linux need Love2D installed. The readme is a good resource if you get stuck!

I hope everyone has fun with my game! I did not get all I wanted done, but I'm happy with how it turned out. Thank you again Rupert Buttermilk for your great music, and congratulations on your child!

This is pretty fun. Get yourself a couple of actors in the Legal or Drama specialties (or if you can get Dad?, both), and run a Legal Drama show in the afternoon. Great Views, 5 Stars, makes money everytime. Unfortunately once you max the actors at skill 5 you're stuck only getting 65K a week, so it's gonna take a while to build to 1 mil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

As silly as it seems, I'm half-tempted to ask you put that in spoiler tags. but it's a gamejam game, soo... Also, you can make more than 65K a week, I watched my beta tester pull in 90~K a week.

I'm glad you enjoyed it! :toot:

• Locked thread