Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

triplexpac posted:

I assume that this number means that Wrestlemania definitely won't be on the Network next year.

God, I wonder how they would have the announcers justify/spin it…it would be worse than Mike Tenay announcing that, “because the fans demanded it,” TNA would be moving back to Thursdays from Mondays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

They hosed up by not saying WM30 was a special bonus, giving them an out for 2015.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

how would they even reconcile that with their having all PPVs on demand? put it up on demand 30 days later like they would RAW?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Blasmeister posted:

how would they even reconcile that with their having all PPVs on demand? put it up on demand 30 days later like they would RAW?

That's what they did with the PPV that aired the day before the network launched.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

So I assume the next straw we grasp at is deciding your 9.99 a month just gets you the live stream, however, for just 7.99 more, you can get the Vault Upgrade on your account...

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Blasmeister posted:

That's what they did with Rumble and Elimination Chamber 2014.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Blasmeister posted:

"And if you buy the Wrestlemania 31 DVD, you'll get a special one-time-use code that unlocks unlimited viewing of WM31 on The Network!"

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If you pull Wrestlemania 31, just fold. Just cut your losses and fold because that's it. It's a shot venture once you do that. Completely finished.

That only ends one of two ways. People buy Wrestlemania and say gently caress the Network. People keep the Network and just pirate Wrestlemania.

You'd have to be loving delusional to think most of the Network subscribers would keep the Network AND buy Wrestlemania. So that's probably what will happen because Vince.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

Unless they've completely given up on the venture, that would be a really terrible decision. They'd be better off doubling down on the event and if they really do have Sting-Undertaker, that needs to be shoved to god and everybody on every single sports channel known to man for a month leading up to the show.

The way I see it, they're offering every PPV for $20 a month now. So you'll get a bunch of people paying $20 for Wrestlemania, but those same people would pay the usual $60-70 if you didn't offer it on the Network. People aren't going to just not watch Mania.

I may be wrong, I just see taking Mania off the Network as being the kind of short-sighted thing they'd do.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Which caps the subscriber base at around 600K for half the year and 400K for the rest. Let's figure the recent peak Rumble and Summerslam buys are an accurate estimate of the number of people willing to pay anything for WWE outside of Mania.

I'm assuming that the 'one time cost' will now be a year commitment rather than six months, otherwise that's not a new plan at all.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

I'm assuming that the 'one time cost' will now be a year commitment rather than six months, otherwise that's not a new plan at all.
Can you already pay $60 at once? It's not a new plan by human standards, but 60x1 is distinct from 10x6 for corporate purposes.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can you legally do something like give away free subscriptions if you buy WWE stock?

I know Geico gives a "loyalty" discount on your insurance if you hold Berkshire-Hathaway stock.

Maybe WWE could do the same for their own stockholders.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wait, I skimmed this so let me get this right. We have to have Rogers and even then it's more expensive and we don't get anything on demand? This would have been the first time I legally paid every month for WWE programming, but not now. Ill steal the American network like a few friends have. gently caress you WWE/Rogers.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

EugeneJ posted:

Can you legally do something like give away free subscriptions if you buy WWE stock?

I know Geico gives a "loyalty" discount on your insurance if you hold Berkshire-Hathaway stock.

Maybe WWE could do the same for their own stockholders.

It would definitely be interesting if they did that, especially since the stock is probably about to go down reaaaal soon.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Can you already pay $60 at once? It's not a new plan by human standards, but 60x1 is distinct from 10x6 for corporate purposes.

Ah actually that's true, I guess you can't do $60 upfront. I always wondered why they didn't do that rather than taking ten bucks each month.

Paulocaust posted:

Wait, I skimmed this so let me get this right. We have to have Rogers and even then it's more expensive and we don't get anything on demand? This would have been the first time I legally paid every month for WWE programming, but not now. Ill steal the American network like a few friends have. gently caress you WWE/Rogers.

That's how I read it too and it makes sense because it's the most bonetown anti-customer move that one could make and that's basically Rogers corporate mantra.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

triplexpac posted:

It was even better, they had some huge inflated number of wrestling fans they said existed in the States. A number much higher than the amount of people that watch Raw every week. They used that number as their launching point for the Network, never wondering why, if there were so many wrestling fans, they can't even get 1 million of them to buy their PPVs.

Yeah, and they weren't just bullshitting their investors, they were bulshitting themselves. Meltzer brings up that survey all the time, they seriously believed there were 60 million US households with wrestling fans.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Paulocaust posted:

Not 100% clear if you're able to buy the regular web service in Canada. They announced the TV deal with Rogers, which to me would imply exclusivity because why would Rogers let them undercut them with the internet deal?

Edit: Okay, to me this reads that the WWE Network will NOT be available online in Canada. Notice they don't mention Canada at all in the over-the-top section, and they call it the "US Version":

quote:

International A vailability: The Company plans to make the U.S. version of WWE Network available on an over - the-top basis starting August 12th in over 170 countries and territories, including Australia, New Zealand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Mexico, Spain and the Nordics, among others. The network is expected to be live in the U.K. by October 2014. Plans for the network in Italy , UAE, Germany , Japan, India, China, Thailand and Malaysia will be communicated at a later date.

Canada: The Company has entered into a new 10-year partnership with Rogers Communications, a leading media enterprise in Canada, under a landmark television programming and WWE Network agreement. The partnership facilitates the launch of WWE Network as a traditional a-la-carte Pay-TV channel in Rogers’ cable systems with a preview beginning August 12 and thereafter through other Pay-TV providers outside Rogers’ footprint. The partnership also renews Rogers’ license of the Raw and SmackDown television programs, and grants Rogers distribution rights to the Company’s pay-per -views.

Here's another bit, saying that Rogers has the rights to the WWE Network in Canada. Which means that it's Rogers' call how it's rolled out in our fine nation (which means we're hosed):

quote:

Critical aspects of this strategy include making WWE Network available in international markets and completing a new partnership with Rogers Communications, which provides the rights to distribute the network in Canada

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 31, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

triplexpac posted:

I assume that this number means that Wrestlemania definitely won't be on the Network next year.
This way of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. Presumably, Wrestlemania has a built-in audience, and of that audience you have a set of people who aren't interested enough to stick with the product year-round. Despite the investor panic, nothing has really happened to damage that audience. If those people continue to buy Wrestlemania on traditional PPV, how does that hurt WWE? I'm sure Vince would rather convert them to Network subscribers, but that's still some traditional PPV revenue that he hasn't lost.

So what if you drop Wrestlemania from the Network? That fairweather section of the audience is unfazed because they were sticking to the traditional model anyway, and now you've just alienated your actual subscribers and killed much of the appeal for people who were on the fence.

I don't get it. People keep saying that the Network might have to drop Wrestlemania, but I really don't understand what the upside of that would be for WWE.

Minidust fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jul 31, 2014

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I think it's way too early to say what they will or won't do with the network as far as Mania and other PPVs go.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Paulocaust posted:

It seems like it'll be the same price but just the livestream. If you want the US version of the network, it's real easy to just use a VPN and get it legally that way. Don't steal a network.

WWE need to get on that whole cancellation thing though, they shouldn't be making it that easy to get around the 6 month commitment

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Minidust posted:

This way of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. Presumably, Wrestlemania has a built-in audience, and of that audience you have a set of people who aren't interested enough to stick with the product year-round. Despite the investor panic, nothing has really happened to damage that audience. If those people continue to buy Wrestlemania on traditional PPV, how does that hurt WWE? I'm sure Vince would rather convert them to Network subscribers, but that's still some traditional PPV revenue that he hasn't lost.

So what if you drop Wrestlemania from the Network? That section of the audience is unfazed because they were sticking to the traditional model anyway, and now you've just alienated your actual subscribers and killed much of the appeal for people who were on the fence.

I don't get it. People keep saying that the Network might have to drop Wrestlemania, but I really don't understand what the upside of that would be for WWE.

There is literally no upside, we believe that Vince/WWE is dumb enough that they would drop Wrestlemania in a wacky scheme to try to make more money by selling it as a PPV-only because we either have no faith in them or we understand enough of how they think and act in a given situation through observation.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Minidust posted:

So what if you drop Wrestlemania from the Network? That section of the audience is unfazed because they were sticking to the traditional model anyway, and now you've just alienated your actual subscribers and killed much of the appeal for people who were on the fence.

The upside that people want to pretend exists there is that Network subscribers would also pay $60 for Mania in addition to retaining their subscriptions, when it's far more likely that, if Mania is the only PPV not on the Network, they just pirate it and save the $60.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

sportsgenius86 posted:

The upside that people want to pretend exists there is that Network subscribers would also pay $60 for Mania in addition to retaining their subscriptions, when it's far more likely that, if Mania is the only PPV not on the Network, they just pirate it and save the $60.

I'm not arguing it makes sense, I'm arguing that WWE would be crazy and hit the panic button thinking that 800,000 buys at $60 a pop is better than $20. Mania is a huge influx of cash for them and I could see them wanting to maximize that while they figure the Network out. It could be they scale back on the Network to make it work with the 700,000 or so hardcore fans that will stick with it.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
WWE's stock is up 10% this morning, so I'm guessing investors just accepted the cheery press release like idiots and missed the actual data

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

EugeneJ posted:

WWE's stock is up 10% this morning, so I'm guessing investors just accepted the cheery press release like idiots and missed the actual data

My guess is people are feeling more bullish than expected because of the advanced international release date.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
Eh, I'd say this is largely good news except for poor Canada. Truly, what do they have to live for?

Overseas rollout. Solid numbers for what is a seriously niche product. Not the numbers they said, but probably the numbers they expected from the US market alone. The product, despite what some would say, I feel warrants $10. I would say it is even solid for $15. The alternative is paying full price for the PPVs or not seeing them at all. I'd rather see them, since now they cost roughly the same as a bad takeout. Can you really say 3 hours of entertainment and other stuff you might watch is worth less than a takeout?

If anything, I feel the WWE might have slipped up by not offering the archives, and then adding the PPVs as an added incentive if you payed a few dollars more.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

E: THIS IS A WEIGHTED AVERAGE INCLUDING 53 DAYS (1/1 TO 2/23) WITH 0 SUBSCRIPTIONS.

Page 3 of the results posted:

The average level of subscribers over the 6-month period through June 30, 2014 was 409,000

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 31, 2014

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
We'll know exactly how WWE feels for sure based on how many times they fire Sandow dressed as different people today.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So about those trial gimmicks inflating numbers.

Oh god. :stare:

Would this then be the number of paying subscribers?

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jul 31, 2014

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Haha holy poo poo, 400,000?

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Good thing the stock market closes immediately in the morning after stocks rise a little bit and not later in the day after news like that can spread and sink in.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
CM Punk yanked his parachute cord at precisely the right time, it would seem.

The man is a prophet.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

That 409,000 number is a six-month average for the purposes of the report so isn't it basically factoring in two months of zero?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

sportsgenius86 posted:

That 409,000 number is a six-month average for the purposes of the report so isn't it basically factoring in two months of zero?

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
Stock is up 9% right now. :psyduck:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The WWE Network was a lethal dose of poison!

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

flashy_mcflash posted:

That's the only explanation that makes sense to me.
Yeah the math works if you include that dead period of 53 days.
I looks like a doomsday number but if you pull off a 600k 2nd half you've just forged ~50% growth when in reality you've falling 10% from Mania.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
For my fellow Canadians, this press release clarifies things a bit:

quote:

ROGERS AND WWE ANNOUNCE LANDMARK TELEVISION AND WWE NETWORK AGREEMENT

TORONTO, July 31, 2014 – Rogers Communications and WWE (NYSE: WWE) today announced a historic 10-year broadcast and multimedia agreement, making Rogers the exclusive distributor of WWE's flagship programming in Canada through 2024. The deal extends WWE's current programming on Sportsnet 360 and includes the right to distribute WWE Network as a premium linear channel, with a preview beginning August 12.

Rogers will be the exclusive distribution partner of all WWE pay-per-view events throughout Canada and will sponsor an application to the CRTC to bring the popular WWE Network to Canada. Starting August 12, a preview of WWE Network content, including live WWE pay-per-view events, groundbreaking original series, live in-ring action, reality shows and a video-on-demand library, will be available on a subscription basis on Rogers Channel 512. Rogers will offer this WWE Network content preview subscription to all cable, satellite and IPTV providers across Canada.

Fans in Canada will receive more WWE programming than ever before through Rogers' cable and digital assets. Highlights from the new deal also include national rights for Raw®, SmackDown® and Main Event® on Sportsnet 360, Sportsnet NOW and Rogers Anyplace TV.

"This landmark deal is a win-win for WWE fans in Canada," said Scott Moore, President of NHL & Sportsnet, Rogers. "The premium WWE content offers our customers more of the programming they want, on any platform of their choosing. We are thrilled to continue our partnership with WWE, and deliver exclusive content to its passionate fan base in Canada for the next decade."

"We are excited to expand our partnership with Rogers as we look for innovative ways to grow our brand and further the reach of our programming in Canada through their vast distribution channels and marketing platforms," said Gerrit Meier, WWE Executive Vice President, International. "The structure of this new agreement demonstrates WWE's commitment to growing our brand internationally through integrated partnerships as well as the flexibility we have in rolling out WWE Network around the world."

So the channel may be offered even if you don't have Rogers.

For example, I have Bell-Alliant FibreOP, but I still have a package that includes Sportsnet and Sportsnet 360, stations owned and distributed by Rogers. Likewise, TSN is owned by Bell, but my parents, who have Rogers cable, get TSN. Rogers will distribute WWE Network to other cable providers. If I can get a 24/7 wrestling channel for ten bux a month and I can PVR poo poo I am happy.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jul 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

oldpainless posted:

The WWE Network was a lethal dose of poison!

The bloody burps are set to begin! Huzzah!

• Locked thread