Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

LobsterMobster posted:

fighters that can't get past the prelims don't draw, hth

she's a Fight Pass draw!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Yuriy posted:

felice herrig is the only one capable of being a draw imo

The only job Felice is going to have after TUF is as a ring girl.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Trast posted:

in King of the Cage

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Max Holloway Leonard Garcia'd Leonard Garcia. He's pretty bad. All McGregor wrestling him with a bad ACL told us is that McGregor is tough and can work through pain, not that he has wrestling chops.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Trast posted:

nah, there's some softcore apartment grappling stuff she can make decent coin at. Or be a professional cosplayer.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Might just be my favorite UFC related non-fight picture.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Might just be my favorite UFC related non-fight picture.

zoom out

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3

Bluedeanie posted:

Max Holloway Leonard Garcia'd Leonard Garcia. He's pretty bad. All McGregor wrestling him with a bad ACL told us is that McGregor is tough and can work through pain, not that he has wrestling chops.

I mean I agree that Conor is probably going to lose to anyone who has a better than average wrestling pedigree, but if he beats Poirier I honestly don't care if they protect the poo poo out of him and put him up against Aldo next. They're both strikers so it should be a pretty cool fight to put in a soccer stadium in Europe or Brazil, and if by some miracle Conor wins he can get ground into the dust by Frankie six months later. At the very least this would save us from another year of endless rematches.

This is all assuming Aldo retains in October. If Chad wins then sorry Conor.

Agent Tough Juice
May 21, 2007

People! I'd like to say a couple words for you: If you have a dream in your life... go head! It's a possible! Go head! I can do that!
Amir beat the poo poo out of an exhausted, old New York Bad rear end. I look forward to this fight with another old gassy fighter.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

:qq:He expended too much energy and got tired:qq:

I'M NOT SURPRISED MOTHERFUCKERS

K8.0 posted:

Nobody is a good wrestler without elite training/experience.

GSP?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

GSP trained for years with the Canadian Olympic team.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

fatherdog posted:

GSP trained for years with the Canadian Olympic team.

Starting when because he was wrestling the poo poo out of people when he still had goldenpalace.com on his back

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Listen my point is not that Conor Mcgregor is an elite wrestler, to say that would be stupid. My original question is why does everyone assume that wrestling is his great achilles heel when there is literally no evidence to support this whatsoever.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

Listen my point is not that Conor Mcgregor is an elite wrestler, to say that would be stupid. My original question is why does everyone assume that wrestling is his great achilles heel when there is literally no evidence to support this whatsoever.

Because of the vast multitude of European kickboxers that have been wrestled into obscurity. Wrestling Max Holloway to a tepid decision is not a convincing counterargument.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

NippleFloss posted:

It doesn't matter how good women's straw-weight is, it won't draw because basically nothing draws beyond a baseline level anymore except for a few popular fighters and WMMA isn't even going to meet that baseline because they're women and they're small. Lawler/Hendricks only did 300k buys despite being the best fight between the coolest dudes who had been knocking everyone out left and right. If that can't get people interested tiny women that no one has ever heard of have no chance, unless one of them also turns out to be a hot, crazy, armbar savant.

This might give some indication as to what their marketing angle will be

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3656260

Metamoris GDT up, all you Chael fans.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Because of the vast multitude of European kickboxers that have been wrestled into obscurity. Wrestling Max Holloway to a tepid decision is not a convincing counterargument.

Have you ever torn your ACL or had knee surgery of any kind? The fact that he was still able to fight let alone grind him into a paste with a torn ACL is what makes it significant. I agree with dangersim. It's not evidence necessarily that he's a good wrestler, but there's nothing but positive indicators that his wrestling is more than adequate outside of :lol: European.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I'm actually perfectly willing to accept the possibility his wrestling may fall between adequate and good (despite the quality of wrestling training available to him in that area being relatively low) but my whole point is he'd have to be a whole lot better than adequate-to-good to best Dustin Poirier in a grappling exchange. That seems like a weird statement for people to get defensive about when in fact, despite the Holloway fight, his wrestling is still likely the weakest area of his skillset.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
We now have a few wrestling only coaches over here from Dubai and stuff who have Olympic level experience, so MMA wrestling has gotten a lot better in the past 5 years or so, it's pissing off all the Ju Jitsu guys to the point where guys are turning up at each other's gym openings and having weird kind of fights where they punch each other but only when it's stalled and there is no other option for either.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

gunnar nelson vs rick story headlining oct 4 fightpass show in sweden

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Excellent. That's a good fight to see where Gunnar is at. Not as big as a fight with Maia or above would have been but Story is a great grappler and hits harder than anybody else Gunni has fought.

That fight has a good chance of going all 5 rounds too.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Bubba Smith posted:

Excellent. That's a good fight to see where Gunnar is at. Not as big as a fight with Maia or above would have been but Story is a great grappler and hits harder than anybody else Gunni has fought.

That fight has a good chance of going all 5 rounds too.

didnt rick story lose to charlie brenneman

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Have you ever torn your ACL or had knee surgery of any kind?

I cannot express how stupid you are for asking this question. I do not understand your confusion about why people would question the wrestling of an Irish fighter whos only losses are by submission and hasn't fought a decent wrestler ever.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Aug 7, 2014

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I cannot express how stupid you are for asking this question. I do not understand your confusion about why people would question the wrestling of an Irish fighter whos only losses are by submission and hasn't fought a decent wrestler ever.

There aren't any submissions in wrestling, hth.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
Time will tell my friends, no need to get worked up.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Novum posted:

no need to get worked up.

Sure there is. Why else are we here?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

:ughh:

POTATO IN MY ANUS
May 23, 2012

23 year old man.

just tried (unsuccessfully) to suck my own dick.

I think I need a break from the internet.
if Conor needs wrestling lessons I say he heads to West Linn. I would pay money to see the outcome of that partnership.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Dangersim posted:

The twister

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

POTATO IN MY ANUS posted:

if Conor needs wrestling lessons I say he heads to West Linn. I would pay money to see the outcome of that partnership.

US Doping tests are expensive dude

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

palmkernel posted:

Seemed like tyson was and still is pretty popular and he's done a whole lot of things worse than Jones.

It's ok for black fighters to be thugs and in fact is encouraged.

Gregor Samsa
Sep 5, 2007
Nietzsche's Mustache

Intel&Sebastian posted:

US Doping tests are expensive dude

Best friends of the NSAC get a discount.

e: in the sense that positive results are discounted.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Triticum Guzzler posted:

Akiyama is now fighting Amir Sadollah :geno:

lmao

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Dangersim posted:

Starting when because he was wrestling the poo poo out of people when he still had goldenpalace.com on his back

this should clear things up for you http://www.examiner.com/article/georges-st-pierre-thinks-he-can-make-canadian-olympic-wrestling-team-because-they-suck

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Lol

Also I know wrestling is tough but I'm extremely sick of hearing about how a single junior high wrestling practice is tougher then the Bataan death March

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah, but *Europe* also accounts for a high proportion of Olympic medals in wrestling, so this isn't saying much.

Ireland has no wrestling pedigree, but the guy trains with Gunnar Nelson daily, his grappling is likely fine.

He also has decent foot work, which is a good sign for being able to avoid takedowns, if not win a folkstyle wrestling match.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Dangersim posted:

Lol

Also I know wrestling is tough but I'm extremely sick of hearing about how a single junior high wrestling practice is tougher then the Bataan death March

Its legitimized sexual abuse, that poo poo fucks with you.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

wooger posted:

Yeah, but *Europe* also accounts for a high proportion of Olympic medals in wrestling, so this isn't saying much.

Ireland has no wrestling pedigree, but the guy trains with Gunnar Nelson daily, his grappling is likely fine.

He also has decent foot work, which is a good sign for being able to avoid takedowns, if not win a folkstyle wrestling match.

The kickboxer part was more important than the European part.

Training with someone does not mean that that person's skill will transfer. Until his ground game is tested it will always be in question.

Dangersim
Sep 4, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The kickboxer part was more important than the European part.

Training with someone does not mean that that person's skill will transfer. Until his ground game is tested it will always be in question.

How are you so wrong about everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Dangersim posted:

How are you so wrong about everything.

Dangersim posted:

• Locked thread