Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

One small step for man, one giant leap for states rights

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

LostCosmonaut posted:

Number of Saturn V on display in former confederate states: 4 1/2.

Number of Saturn V on display in non-confederate areas: 1/2.

Checkmate, yankees. :smuggo:

I'm still pissed off that NYC got a shuttle and Houston didn't. loving idiots even managed to damage it before putting it on display, assholes.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

What the gently caress do you expect the thing was designed by a goddamn nazi.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Cyrano4747 posted:

The Saturn V or the Shuttle?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Fearless posted:

The Saturn V or the Shuttle?

Saturn V. Cyrano beat me to the crack about a bunch of Paperclipped ex-Nazis being right at home south of the Mason-Dixon.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Cyrano4747 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTKn1aSOyOs

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Huntsville seemed pretty nice when I visited there a while back. The museum with the Saturn V is very cool.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

priznat posted:

Huntsville seemed pretty nice when I visited there a while back. The museum with the Saturn V is very cool.

Huntsville has the highest number of PhDs per capita in the US and is a pretty nice place. Hard to believe it is in Alabama. Got to take a trip out there when I was going through the Prowler Weapons School.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

vulturesrow posted:

Huntsville has the highest number of PhDs per capita in the US and is a pretty nice place. Hard to believe it is in Alabama. Got to take a trip out there when I was going through the Prowler Weapons School.

Yeah it's interesting how there are a lot of high tech that isn't even defense related, just due to the concentration of a highly educated and skilled workforce! I was there because I worked for cisco at the time and was training up some guys in the office there.

When we went out for lunch the TGIFriday's had "sweet home alabama" on the stereo and that was pretty weird slash awesome.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Shooting Blanks posted:

I'm still pissed off that NYC got a shuttle and Houston didn't. loving idiots even managed to damage it before putting it on display, assholes.

And then that prick Schumer went on TV to talk smack about Texas.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

PhotoKirk posted:

Well I hope Schumer will remember a Southern man don't need him around, anyhow

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Shooting Blanks posted:

What are you talking about, Texas got pieces of one all over the state.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Breaky posted:

:stare:

Too soon man. Too soon.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Breaky posted:

:drat:

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

PhotoKirk posted:

gently caress Texas.

http://thedailyshow.cc.com/videos/bnqfya/back-in-black---new-york-vs--texas

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

Breaky posted:

Haha wow.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Breaky posted:

:thurman:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Breaky posted:

Doesn't count. They had to share.

Generation Internet
Jan 18, 2009

Where angels and generals fear to tread.

Breaky posted:

Holy poo poo.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Breaky posted:

Every once in a while, I'm reminded of why I still post here. :allears:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Godholio posted:

I'm hopeful the Air Force learned that lesson. The pilot community seems to have done so, from when I've been in planning sessions.

And it still took that dude a week to do it.

Exactly. About every 10 pages in the F-35 thread it has to be reiterated that it was a hell of a lucky shot that couldn't have been made without a dozen different things lining up perfectly.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Shooting Blanks posted:

At least we get the dedicated SpaceX launch site in couple years. World's first and only commercial spaceport. :smug:

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 25, 2014

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Breaky posted:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

SgtMongoose posted:

Having just been to Keflavik, staging P-8's out of there would not be hard. Kef is Iceland's main international airport and plays host to a standing deployment of NATO fighters. The Icelandic Coast Guard has kept all the facilities they still own in good repair and the housing is actually really nice. The money pit would be all the support facilities like enlisted dorms, post office, commissary, MWR stuff, etc. cause that was all turned over to civilian use and is now apartment buildings and businesses. So you either have to start from scratch on all that or buy out a lot of locals. Or just make it a rotating deployment like the fighters and duck all that.

And considering the nearest P-8 base is NAS Jax, it'd be a nice posting for the crews that went in the summer (I know I would rather take mid-50s and dry over low 90s and humid in July)

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010

Back Hack posted:

At least we get the dedicated SpaceX launch site in couple years. World's first and only commercial spaceport. :smug:

Except it's not....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mojave_Air_and_Space_Port
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaceport_America

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Suicide Watch posted:

So basically they're going to be used like Nighthawks? Two internal hard points for air to ground ordinance.

The f22 can carry 8 250lbs bombs or 2 jdams internally along with 2 aim 120 aimrams and 2 harms I think. You are think of the f35 which can only carry an effective load externally.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A F-22 doing Wild Weasel with those HARMs would be pretty amazing.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

wargames posted:

The f22 can carry 8 250lbs bombs or 2 jdams internally along with 2 aim 120 aimrams and 2 harms I think. You are think of the f35 which can only carry an effective load externally.

No HARMs, -88s are huge...there's no way they would fit internally on a Raptor (or an F-35 for that matter). A2G loadout has 2 -120s in the center bay along with the bombs (either 8xSDB or 2xGBU-32 like you say) as well as 2 Sidewinders, one in each of the side bays.

The F-35's internal bays are actually bigger/more optimized for air to ground ordnance than the Raptor's. The F-35's can carry 2xGBU-31 (2,000 lbs a piece) as opposed to the Raptor's 2xGBU-32 (1,000 lbs a piece). The F-35 should also be capable of carrying a total of 8xSDBs, just like the Raptor (4 per rack/bay).

Of course that ignores some stores separation and integration issues that I don't think have been resolved quite yet.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
It seems weird that the USAF is banking on basically nothing but the SDB so far as A2G but I guess if you can really plant it on target every time you don't always need ~1000 pounds of boom.

also SA keeps eating this post :mad:

Psion fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Sep 26, 2014

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

No HARMs, -88s are huge...there's no way they would fit internally on a Raptor (or an F-35 for that matter). A2G loadout has 2 -120s in the center bay along with the bombs (either 8xSDB or 2xGBU-32 like you say) as well as 2 Sidewinders, one in each of the side bays.

The F-35's internal bays are actually bigger/more optimized for air to ground ordnance than the Raptor's. The F-35's can carry 2xGBU-31 (2,000 lbs a piece) as opposed to the Raptor's 2xGBU-32 (1,000 lbs a piece). The F-35 should also be capable of carrying a total of 8xSDBs, just like the Raptor (4 per rack/bay).

Of course that ignores some stores separation and integration issues that I don't think have been resolved quite yet.

I am not seeing how they can fit in 8 SDBs along with the -120. Is the Harm too long to fit internally on the f22 or f35?

also this doesn't seem to stealthy

wargames fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Sep 26, 2014

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Sometimes you want the enemy to know you're there. Sometimes the extra ordnance is worth the RCS increase. Sometimes you're going up against MiG-19s and it doesn't matter at all.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

wargames posted:

I am not seeing how they can fit in 8 SDBs along with the -120. Is the Harm too long to fit internally on the f22 or f35?

It's about a foot longer, ~50% larger in diameter, double the wingspan, and weighs over twice as much (not that weight would be a major concern).

Also, that photo is only showing one of the two center bays.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wallops_Flight_Facility#Commercial_spaceport

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Here's a story: authorities in Kazakhstan are defacing WW2 era equipment set up as war memorials. They are doing this because Russian separatists in the Ukraine earlier this year managed to start and drive away in an IS-3 tank that had been made into a similar memorial, without having its engine removed or its gun deactivated.

e: and North Korea's God-King is reportedly seriously ill.

quote:

An anonymous source - said to be "familiar with North Korea affairs" - quoted by the South Korean news agency Yonhap, said he understood Mr Kim was "suffering from gout, along with hyperuricemia, hyperlipidemia, obesity, diabetes and high blood pressure".

e2: VVVVV other war memorials

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 26, 2014

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

And ammunition for either of these comes from... where, exactly?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I would argue you need to actually put people in "space" before you can call yourself a spaceport, in which case the race to being the first spaceport is still on; however I'll concede point anyway. That aside, I can't wait to drive down and watch them launch the Dragon 2, that thing is going to be so awesome.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

simplefish posted:

From what I remember, the IS-3 in the Ukraine was essentially used as an armored machine gun carrier, I don't think they actually managed to scrounge up any ammo for the D-25.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

Helter Skelter posted:

It's about a foot longer, ~50% larger in diameter, double the wingspan, and weighs over twice as much (not that weight would be a major concern).

Also, that photo is only showing one of the two center bays.

I see where the other 2 SDBs are the picture just doesn't show all four of them clearly in the background.

Also the harm is 4100mm long while the 2000 lb jdam is 3900, the diameter of the harm is 254mm while the 2k jdam is 640 mm. so the F35 might be able to hold it internally but the f22 because of the length?

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

simplefish posted:

Same place as our cheap Mosins and RC K98s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
And I would expect the F-22's radar/ELINT systems to pinpoint an enemy radar within one inch and feed that positions to the SBDs. Then the pilot flies undetected at 50k (greater glide range) to the SBDs launch envelope, farts some SBDs, closes the bomb bays and rubs one out out of boredom. Won't being undetected (vs. a normal wild weasel cockpit disco party) negate the need for standoffs homing weapons like the HARM ? Am I missing some other use for a HARM?